3D help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to get 3D to work on my HL61A750. Based on the info on this list, I got a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and set it to checkerboard pattern for 3D. I got a 1.4 HDMI cable and connect the Panny to the Samsung using HDMI #3 port and set the port to PC. I have these glasses: Ultralight 3D Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For 3D Ready DLP-LINK Projector Acer/Samsung/Sharp/Viewsonic/OPTOMA/Mitsubishi/BenQ .

I know what 3D ought to look like because I have a newer but much smaller 3D LG LED set, but this set uses passive 3D glasses. I'm using a PS3 for the blu-ray player on the LG. The issue is that the 3D is very spotty and seems to go on and off repeatedly. The glasses cycle between getting dark and bright. It is as if a light is going on and off in the room. Off hand, I'm guessing that the glasses and the TV aren't synching.

So my questions are: 1) am I missing something in the setup to get 3D working? 2) is something not setup correctly? 3) is the problem with the glasses? 4) if #3, what do I need to do to get the glasses to work or what glasses should I get?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It sounds like your glasses are losing the DPL Link signal - they flash like that when they are out of Sync with the TV. How far away are you sitting and what is the room lighting like? Try to sit around 8' or closer, keep a clear line of sight between you and the TV, and make sure there are no other lights near the front of the TV making the glasses lose sync.

1. No -sounds like you got it right
2. Nope, again sounds fine.
3. I think so, yes, or your TV's dlp link signal is weak. Do you get a nice red hue shift when you go into 3D mode?
4. I like the UltraClear glasses. Others prefer the Tru Depth 3D DLP Link glasses. Lots of people like the clunky, ugly Optoma ZD 101s but I find them uncomfortable.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks nickels55

Still no joy. I'm sitting about 12' away from the TV - I'm directly in front of the TV. I moved to 8 ft (used a tape measure smile.gif ) Still no 3D. Double checked the settings - all is set for 3D. We turned off all the lighting in the room, so it is dark. I'm not sure what you mean by "nice red shift when you go into 3D mode." When I sat 8' away there wasn't the light and dark flickering from the glasses but still no 3D.

The Panny has test for checkerboard 3D that has a 1 and 2. 1 is supposed to be more stereoscopic than 2. I get two separate images of 1 and two of 2. I'm certain that they should be overlaid to generate the 3D effect.

I guess the glasses aren't working with the TV.

I'll order the UltraClear glasses and see if they work.

Thanks.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracek View Post

I'm trying to get 3D to work on my HL61A750. Based on the info on this list, I got a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and set it to checkerboard pattern for 3D. I got a 1.4 HDMI cable and connect the Panny to the Samsung using HDMI #3 port and set the port to PC. I have these glasses: Ultralight 3D Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For 3D Ready DLP-LINK Projector Acer/Samsung/Sharp/Viewsonic/OPTOMA/Mitsubishi/BenQ .

I know what 3D ought to look like because I have a newer but much smaller 3D LG LED set, but this set uses passive 3D glasses. I'm using a PS3 for the blu-ray player on the LG. The issue is that the 3D is very spotty and seems to go on and off repeatedly. The glasses cycle between getting dark and bright. It is as if a light is going on and off in the room. Off hand, I'm guessing that the glasses and the TV aren't synching.

So my questions are: 1) am I missing something in the setup to get 3D working? 2) is something not setup correctly? 3) is the problem with the glasses? 4) if #3, what do I need to do to get the glasses to work or what glasses should I get?

Thanks.

It's a longshot but I'll ask anyway since I didn't see it in your post. After you get a 3D signal sent to the tv such as the test pattern, did you turn on the 3D mode on the tv? I only ask since you didn't list it as a step and you said you never saw the red hue. You can push the "tools" button on the tv remote to get there a little faster.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iItYJK_3os

My set is the same as yours but the model before it. When you put the TV into 3D mode the DLP Link signal tints the picture to very red.

Mode 1 and Mode 2 are for Dlp Link glasses vs IR Glasses - they each have a different sync (l/r) which is why it is difficult to mix glasses (DLP Link and one IR) on one set unless one of the glasses has a reverse mode feature on it. These modes on your TV just reverse the picture. If Mode 1 isn't 3D than hit the button again and Mode 2 will be correct. Think of it this way if it was side by side 3d:
Mode 1 - l/r
Mode 2 - r/l

Only one of them will look like real 3D - the other will be inverted and weird.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JustinMc. You nailed it. I could have sworn that I did this earlier. I didn't know about the tool button short cut. This time I double checked all the settings and made sure that the TV was set to 3D. I got the red flash.

I found out that the 3D movie I used, Rio, initially flips between 3D and 2D when loading. The TV switches back from 3D to 2D but not back again to 3D. I had to reset the TV back to 3D after selecting play in 3D option on the blu-ray disc.

It worked and the 3D looks good. smile.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks nickels55.

I got the UltraClear glasses yesterday. Great recommendation. The UltraClear glasses are so much better than the original DLP-sync glasses I had. The colors are much brighter and the 3D is fantastic. With the other glasses, the colors were muted and the picture wasn't as sharp.

If anyone is interested, I got the UltraClear glasses from Ulitmate3Dheaven.

BTW, I'm sitting over 12' away from the TV and the glasses have no problem synching with the TV.

I had to set the glasses to mode 2. Mode 1 had the 3D effect flipped: what should have been in the foreground was in the background and vice versa. It was a hoot watching the movie that way smile.gif

I'm grateful to all those that helped. This list is amazing.
nickels55 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm glad you got it working. Bruce73 on this forum mentioned the tools button tip in another thread. It makes it a little less painful on those blurays that switch back to 2D for a couple seconds. If you haven't already, pick up Imax Under the Sea. It has some amazing popout 3D.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

justinmc - The tools tip is invaluable. I have The Avengers, Rio, and Avatar in 3D. I've only watched The Avengers completely. I'm looking forward to seeing the other two if I ever get time. Thanks for the tip on Imax Under the Sea, I just ordered it. The entire family like nature programs, so I'm sure we'll enjoy it.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Avengers was THE reason I finally got 3D working on this tv. I was a big comic book geek back in the 80's and they were my favorite team. The Disney XD tv show The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes that ran from 2010 to 2012 is also excellent. Most of the other titles I bought have been recommendations from the 3D content section of this forum starting with Under the Sea. My most recent one was Wrath of the Titans 3D. I wasn't expecting much but it really surprised me and I've already watched it twice.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Movies don't do 3D justice like video games do. Get a PS3 if you don't already have one. MotorStorm (both 3D titles) have some of the most impressive 3D effects to date. TV and Movies are OK, but gaming takes 3D to a whole new level of awesome.

As for movies, Tangled has some nice pop-out.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfracek View Post

Thanks.

Hi.... Two questions.

1. When you connect the panni to samsung.... The menu display the option convert to 2d to 3d ?
2. If you connet the panni to Your LG... The convert to 2d to 3d works?

Thanks for your reply...

Ps: i have the hl61a750 and bd 320....
post #13 of 13 Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

CHMATAV,

Question 1: I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are asking if my Samsung/Panasonic setup can convert 2D to 3D, I don't know but I don't think so. The setup works great for movies that are in 3D.

Question 2: Haven't tried it. The LG is connected to a PS3 and that combination works great for movies and games that ARE in 3D. The LG model I have CAN convert 2D to 3D but the conversion isn't worth it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page