WD-52528 Color is off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a WD-52528. Purchased 8/25/05. Usually don't buy extended warrenty, but did in this case. Proved to be very beneficial. Had to have warrenty work twice. Replaced a bunch of parts. One repair trip - the repairman had just about reached the end of the diriveway when it quit again. Was out of service about a month. Have purchased Mitsubishi for a long time til this unit. Have not bought another.

Replaced one bulb under warrenty May of 07. Replaced again with lamp from Bulb Solutions. Can"t find info with date. Been at least 2 yrs +.

Problem is color seems to have yellow/greenish tint. Have tried to adjust in color menu with very little luck. Have brightness at almost full or at full at times. In past lamp quit completely. Could bulb be just getting weak to cause off color?

Another ? I read on another thread a person talked about cleaning ( i understood) the inside of TV. Owners manual does not discuss this. Should that be done also?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B View Post

I have a WD-52528. Purchased 8/25/05. Usually don't buy extended warrenty, but did in this case. Proved to be very beneficial. Had to have warrenty work twice. Replaced a bunch of parts. One repair trip - the repairman had just about reached the end of the diriveway when it quit again. Was out of service about a month. Have purchased Mitsubishi for a long time til this unit. Have not bought another.

Replaced one bulb under warrenty May of 07. Replaced again with lamp from Bulb Solutions. Can"t find info with date. Been at least 2 yrs +.

Problem is color seems to have yellow/greenish tint. Have tried to adjust in color menu with very little luck. Have brightness at almost full or at full at times. In past lamp quit completely. Could bulb be just getting weak to cause off color?

Another ? I read on another thread a person talked about cleaning ( i understood) the inside of TV. Owners manual does not discuss this. Should that be done also?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First, your tv is NOT a DLP, and is very different from most Mitsubishi WD's. Yours is an LCD rear-projection, and I expect it will have the same problems that all 3-LCD's have. The optics in the blue channel degrade over time, due to high energy blue and ultraviolet wavelengths. This causes the input polarizing filter in the blue path to degrade, and/or the LCD panel that handles the blue content of the picture to deteriorate. Typical early symptoms, -clouds of yellow tint in the whites, some blue in the blacks. Long term, thousands of dead blue pixels, total loss of blue content in the center third of the screen.

See Linke's site for a good technical overview. It's focused on Sony, but all 3-LCD designs are very similar. https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

It's NOT the lamp.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say I'm a bit confused. It was called a DLP, but it does have a label on the front that says LCD.

So, bottom line - from what I read in the Sony link info. Even tho I have Air Force experience on airborne radar repair, and could switch out parts, I would be rolling the dice on the results. So give it away after shopping for a replacement?

I do remember the store saying that it was the same design as Sony.

Thanks much for help.
I will probably be looking at Samsung, unless you have other suggestions. I currently use outdoor antenna. Been looking at Direct TV.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B View Post

I have to say I'm a bit confused. It was called a DLP, but it does have a label on the front that says LCD.

So, bottom line - from what I read in the Sony link info. Even tho I have Air Force experience on airborne radar repair, and could switch out parts, I would be rolling the dice on the results. So give it away after shopping for a replacement?

I do remember the store saying that it was the same design as Sony.

Thanks much for help.
I will probably be looking at Samsung, unless you have other suggestions. I currently use outdoor antenna. Been looking at Direct TV.

The parts situation for these is not good, you pretty much need a similar set to recycle parts from. I wouldn't bother with a 52", since the price of 50-ish new LCD flat-panel sets is getting so good. Someone that is trying to fix a 62" might buy it for parts. Craigslist, $50.

It will slowly get worse unless the lamp goes, so no big hurry in replacing it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page