Samsung DLP HL-S5687W - Issue Lamp lights, then goes out after 5-10 seconds - INTERMITTENT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post, Hi everybody!

I've trolled the internet the last few days and can't seem to find somebody with a similar problem, that's why I'm here.

6 weeks ago, the bulb died. It had nearly 7 years on her so it was no big deal.

I bought a Pureglare bulb (and housing) for $40 and slapped it in there. Worked great...until the other day.

I turned the TV off to get some dinner, and 30 minutes later get back. The TV turned on (got the melody), had a picture for about 15 seconds...then went off! Try to turn it on again, only had a picture about 8 seconds and turns off. After it turns off, I get the 3 blinking light issue. Now, during the power up cycle, I observed from the back that the lamp did light...then goes out as well.

I unplugged it over night...it wouldn't come on in the morning. However, it did come on and stayed on all evening.

Got up this morning and it wouldn't come on at all. My wife was home, turned it on 6 hours after I did and it came on, lost picture for 3 seconds, then popped back on and stayed on. Very strange.

Questions:

1. Is it a defective bulb that we bought? (Intermittent?)
2. Is the bulb good, but needs a ballast?
3. Something more ominous?

Troubleshooting tips? We don't have a whole lot of money and we can't afford a replacement TV.

Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz View Post

First post, Hi everybody!

I've trolled the internet the last few days and can't seem to find somebody with a similar problem, that's why I'm here.

6 weeks ago, the bulb died. It had nearly 7 years on her so it was no big deal.

I bought a Pureglare bulb (and housing) for $40 and slapped it in there. Worked great...until the other day.

I turned the TV off to get some dinner, and 30 minutes later get back. The TV turned on (got the melody), had a picture for about 15 seconds...then went off! Try to turn it on again, only had a picture about 8 seconds and turns off. After it turns off, I get the 3 blinking light issue. Now, during the power up cycle, I observed from the back that the lamp did light...then goes out as well.

I unplugged it over night...it wouldn't come on in the morning. However, it did come on and stayed on all evening.

Got up this morning and it wouldn't come on at all. My wife was home, turned it on 6 hours after I did and it came on, lost picture for 3 seconds, then popped back on and stayed on. Very strange.

Questions:

1. Is it a defective bulb that we bought? (Intermittent?)
2. Is the bulb good, but needs a ballast?
3. Something more ominous?

Troubleshooting tips? We don't have a whole lot of money and we can't afford a replacement TV.

Thanks everybody!

For $40, it had to be a Chinese knockoff lamp. They fail out of the box at a spectacular rate, and when they work they last a few months at best.

These sets use an arc lamp, and it takes around 3500V to fire it and then about 120V to sustain it, so when it gets marginal it might work one day and not the next. See how long the seller guaranteed it, if at all. Stick with quality lamps like Osram or Philips or a Samsung factory part. A seller called 'Niosales' on ebay seems to be the reliable seller the last few months. Plan on spending $80-90 for a lamp that will last possibly as long as the original.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I took the TV apart, carefully....took pictures along the way. The ultimate goal was to clean it out, take the ballast out and inspect for a blown cap. No such luck. All seems good that way.

Put everything back together, connected all the cables.

Turned it on, the lamp now buzzes (with a blue colored light). And never turns on full blast. I unplugged it because I didn't want to damage anything.

WTF did I do now?! ARGH!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page