Buying Advice Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thank God I found this forum. I cannot find anyone to give me some advice on which set to purchase. Long story short I remodeled my basement and am going to sell my Mits 65 3D DLP and stand to a buddy. That has now made me look into a new set. I love the DLP's and have had Mits for as long as I can remember with only ever having to change the bulbs out occasionally.

So I recently found a local retailer here where I live that has 2 leftover unopened DLP's and the prices are really low. They say they want them out of the store and are making a great deal on whichever one I choose. So my question is this:

Do I go with the 73 inch 3D DLP model # WD-73742 or the 82 inch DLP model # WD-82C12? LIke I said I am going up from a 65 and I love my 65. I have room with my remodel for either size to fit fine in the man cave and the wife has already given her blessing since I have a buyer in line for the old set. I have been told that both sets were manufactured in 2012 and have never seen the light of day still factory sealed.

I am torn on which one to get since they both are bigger and a good price. The 73 is loaded but the 82 is more basic. I am not a big 3D watcher and I already have the apps and smart stuff on my blu ray and XBOX 360 so that is really kind of moot for me. I just think the 73 incher may be a better built set but damn that 82 is lovely. Advic e? Anyone?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Well it comes down to 3D really. IF you want it the 82" is out as it doesn't do 3D. IF NOT bigger is always better or so my wife says mad.gif

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Other than size, there are 2 main differences as I see it.

1. 3D - the 73 has it, the 82 doesn't.

2. The 73 has more complete adjustment controls while the 82 has more simplistic controls.

How important each or both of those are is totally up to you. I got the 73742 as I wanted 3D even though I don't use it very much, and I wanted the more complete controls. Now that I've had it a bit, I like the 3D and haven't really needed the more precise controls.

Lloyd
post #4 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. After further consideration and more precise measurements I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 73 inch WD-73742 as well. I love the size of the 82 but the 73742 is just better built I feel and has more of the loaded options. It fits the room better and also is a 2012 model whereas my WD-65737 is from 2008. So being 4 years newer and out of the box has got to be better than what I am currently using.

I guess it is better to have the streaming, 3D and all the other options (just in case) whereas the 82 inch does not even have it offered.

Thanks again
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Unless your 65737 is really dirty or has a problem, don't expect a huge difference.
I put my 65736 and my 73642 side by side and there just isn't that much if any of a difference. (my 65736 lens is clean though) So I boxed the 73" back up and will use it when and if the 65" dies.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Actually my 65737 is in pristine shape and I just had the bulb actually go out on it a month ago. I got a "real" Mitsubishi lens and carriage for it.....stuck it in and voila a picture so bright I didn't even need any lamps in the man cave. smile.gif Only reason I was making a change is because I have a co-worker who wants to buy it and the stand. So that will save me a huge ass headache with trying to sell it downt he road. At least that is my thinking on it. Hardest thing I am finding now is a stand for it and my components.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page