Sony SXRD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Purchased a Sony SXRD in Feb '07. Worked well until the last few months, screen went blank for a few minutes every week or two. As suggested, I replaced the lamp at the end of 2012 which worked well a month or two, until one day, the picture displayed a strong green tint. I swapped out the other lamp just to make sure it was not the problem, and adjusted the settings every way possible, but no luck. Still GREEN. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,

ThePilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Green tint, uniformly across the screen? Or green "blobs", or non-uniform green discoloration?

The Sony SXRD uses an LCOS optical engine that was prone to failure, and Sony did quite a bit of compensation, replacements, etc. to resolve the problem...and it drove them out of RPTV altogether, despite the excellent picture quality that LCOS delivers.

Improved LCOS is still used in projectors.

I would call Sony, if I were you, and be persistent in your complaints, even though you're out of warranty, and probably out of the window for settlement.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...The green is not in blobs, it looks like if you where to set the hue all the way over to the green setting.

Thanks again,

ThePilot
post #4 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you look up Sony SXRD green tint on google/etc, a wealth of information about that problem will be at your fingertips. It was a major disaster for Sony. I had a XRB1 60 inch that experienced the green tint problem. The first time the set was under warranty so it was fixed for free. Within 9 months the problem returned so I called Sony customer service and they offered me a 55inch Bravia for around $450 for customer loyalty. I don't know if they are still offering some kind of deal on a new set for owners of the faulty SXRD's, but a phone call would be worth your time.

I tried to sell the 60 inch SXRD on Craigslist for $250 and didn't get a single inquiry, so it sits in my living room collecting dust and giving my wife something more to complain about!
post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I never bought one...was waiting for the 70 inch LCOS XBR which never made it to market.

I suspected that the green tint was as problematic as the blobs.

It all has something to do with the instability and separation of materials composing the LCOS, under the constant stress of heat. DLP DMDs are also affected by heat, but more subtly over a long period of time.

I think the OP should call Sony. Customer Loyalty is a great approach.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePilot View Post

Hello,

Purchased a Sony SXRD in Feb '07. Worked well until the last few months, screen went blank for a few minutes every week or two. As suggested, I replaced the lamp at the end of 2012 which worked well a month or two, until one day, the picture displayed a strong green tint. I swapped out the other lamp just to make sure it was not the problem, and adjusted the settings every way possible, but no luck. Still GREEN. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,

ThePilot

Good morning!

This is Kevin Krause from Sony Support USA. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your TV. We would like to see if there is anything that we can do to help you out. Please email us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com. In your email, please refer to this event number, E57284992 and include a brief description of the issues you are having, your full name, address, phone number, and the model and serial number of your TV.

Thank you,
Kevin Krause
Sony Support USA
post #7 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Three cheers for Sony for stepping up to help.

Sony has always represented excellence in quality and customer support.

I hope the OP is checking responses daily on the forum.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello taichi4, I appreciate the time that you've taken to share this with us. It is always nice to receive positive feedback from our customers, thank you!
Scott Fuentes
Sony Support USA
post #9 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I've always felt confident buying Sony. Unlike some companies, Sony realizes the value of consumer satisfaction and loyalty. Some time ago I bought an expensive computer from a well known computer manufacturer, but due to their complaisant attitude when questions arose, I'll never buy from them again.

Many vendors play the numbers game, not realizing that a satisfied customer is a longterm customer, and one that will spread the word. Sony understands that.

I am hopeful that your arrangement with Panasonic will produce stellar XBR quality OLEDs.

taichi4
post #10 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if I've got the last working SXRD on the planet. I happened to buy one of the last 60"s from Circuit City Online as they were closing them out. Just the other week I was thinking of looking at new plasmas, but then I replaced the bulb and it's like brand new all over again. biggrin.gif

Still worried that I'm only a short time away from blobville though. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.

Kineska - Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
post #11 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini8.5 View Post

I'm beginning to wonder if I've got the last working SXRD on the planet. I happened to buy one of the last 60"s from Circuit City Online as they were closing them out. Just the other week I was thinking of looking at new plasmas, but then I replaced the bulb and it's like brand new all over again. biggrin.gif

Still worried that I'm only a short time away from blobville though. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.

Not all LCOS sets fail. Making sure you have adequate ventilation around the set helps control heat. Heat is not kind to LCOs (or DLP over time).

Sony LCOS has great black levels, color and clarity. You can probably hang on to it until reasonably priced 4K and OLED calls to you.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That is really great that Sony has reps paying attention to forums like this! And that they care and want to see if they can make it right is awesome. Satisfied customers mean repeat business(++++).
post #13 of 16 Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeydvm View Post

That is really great that Sony has reps paying attention to forums like this! And that they care and want to see if they can make it right is awesome. Satisfied customers mean repeat business(++++).

It's amazing to me that many companies do not value customer loyalty. They figure because there are so many potential consumers out there that it's cheaper to lure new consumers in than to take care of customer issues. This is completely shortsighted, as loyal customers buy repeatedly as well as communicate their experiences to their friends, who are then more likely to buy based on recommendations. Such a customer is worth more than all the advertising in the world.

Customer relations suggests a reciprocal relationship. To me its seems many companies engage in customer handling, which is in-equal, top-down, and altogether different. People aren't stupid, and eventually they wake up and take their business elsewhere.

The computer company that I bought my PC from, who then treated me (and other owners of the same device) in a thoughtless manner, used to be a company known for its technicians and engineering. Then some rapacious types took over, and turned it into a consumer mill, firing their technical support teams. It shows.

Sony is rebuilding its company, reasserting its reputation for quality and innovation in the face of competition from China and Korea. A certain amount of manufacturing (not all) for Japanese firms has shifted to those countries, but design, engineering, stringent quality control and taking care of its customers, have their own allure. I recall reading recently how important customer care was to Sony's new CEO in his roadmap for the future.

I wish them luck.

I should add that there are many Chinese companies who also value their customers and quality, Lenovo being
one. Lenovo built IBM's Thinkpads before becoming an independent company, and they have maintained their
quality and excellent customer support throughout.

And fie upon that unnamed computer company!
post #14 of 16 Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I too, have a Sony SXRD that has had some minor problems that I have been able to repair on my own but the green tint has finally overcome my TV. Other than that I have been very pleased with this unit. I was not aware of any class action or ability to have repaired by Sony until now when I started having problems. Is there anything available at this point from Sony that will replace/repair my TV?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM

I didn't realize I was having this problem because I don't use this television very often. As a matter of fact I searched for different ways to adjust the color b/c I didn't think anything this major could be wrong with a television this expensive.
The picture is finally way too green so I contact Sony. They inform me that I have a defective part, but missed the cut off for the extended warranty......I understand that all of the properly functioning parts on the tv are under warranty. But shouldn't Sony replace the part or TV because they have ADMITTEDLY put a defective part in my unit? Why should a customer have to suffer because I don't log a lot of hours on this television and the problem shows up later? I've read these posts and even followed up w/ an email as suggested by someone who posted earlier. I've always preferred Sony products. I'll let everyone know if they do the right thing.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

I was told the problem with this Tint issue is within the 'Optical Light Engine,' which can be removed from the set and shipped for repair. Tri-State Module (http://www.tristatemodule.com) was highly recommended and one of the very few company's that do this rebuild. I removed my Light Engine and shipped it, had it repaired, returned, I re-installed, but had other problems (picture started out light blue, then darker, until it finally ended up with a reddish tint. Contacted the technician there (Danny) who said they test them thoroughly after a repair and can't understand what could have happened, he was apologetic and advised me to please ship it back (which I have done so). I should receive it in a day or two, I will update on this post with the result.

Thanks for all the replies,

The Pilot
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page