oldie but goodie - Hitachi 46W500 service question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
recently acquired one of these TV's, 10 years old - my neighbor was in the process of throwing it into the
street, so I took it off her hands.
It's in working order and reasonable shape. After setting it up and watching it for a while,
you could see that there was a color balance problem that could not be corrected by the user controls.
Secondly, the left half of the screen was slightly more red than the right half

I got hold of the service manual and decided to try the "factory reset". To a certain extent,
it has improved the overall picture, the color has a better balance.

However, the magic focus is now not working properly. Seems odd that the reset would damage the
setup. Looking back at the service manual, I see two things, magic focus character setup, and
magic focus pattern setup that I would like to perform, but I have not been able get to the proper screens.

Instead of using the Service switch on the def/conv board, I entered this service mode another way -
Turn on the TV normally, press magic focus button, then press it again to stop it.
Then press "info" on the remote to get the crosshatch pattern. It's from here that the rest of the instructions
appear not to work.

For example, from there, for the pattern setup, it says to push the FRZ button, and an additional line
top and bottom should appear in the crosshatch pattern. This does indeed work. The manual says
then press the DVD key, and the magic focus screen should appear and allow you to adjust each of the
sensor positions.

The chassis is DP33. If anybody has any info or tips, I'd be appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Hello all,
recently acquired one of these TV's, 10 years old - my neighbor was in the process of throwing it into the
street, so I took it off her hands.
It's in working order and reasonable shape. After setting it up and watching it for a while,
you could see that there was a color balance problem that could not be corrected by the user controls.
Secondly, the left half of the screen was slightly more red than the right half

I got hold of the service manual and decided to try the "factory reset". To a certain extent,
it has improved the overall picture, the color has a better balance.

However, the magic focus is now not working properly. Seems odd that the reset would damage the
setup. Looking back at the service manual, I see two things, magic focus character setup, and
magic focus pattern setup that I would like to perform, but I have not been able get to the proper screens.

Instead of using the Service switch on the def/conv board, I entered this service mode another way -
Turn on the TV normally, press magic focus button, then press it again to stop it.
Then press "info" on the remote to get the crosshatch pattern. It's from here that the rest of the instructions
appear not to work.

For example, from there, for the pattern setup, it says to push the FRZ button, and an additional line
top and bottom should appear in the crosshatch pattern. This does indeed work. The manual says
then press the DVD key, and the magic focus screen should appear and allow you to adjust each of the
sensor positions.

The chassis is DP33. If anybody has any info or tips, I'd be appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave

I would post this in the "Dont Dump Your CRT Rear Projection" thread.

Panasonic U50-60, Arcam AVP 700, Conrad Johnson MF 5600, Denon DVD 5900, Def Tech BP 2000 7.1
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramble View Post

I would post this in the "Dont Dump Your CRT Rear Projection" thread.

I'll take a look for this thread. Incidentally, the usage of the magic scan button on the panel to get into a limited kind of
service mode - I re-read through the service manual steps a bit more thoroughly, and it seems this mode can only be used for
a point convergence touch-up, and magic scan initialize.

To access the Magic Focus character and pattern setup, one needs to remove the speaker grill and find the appropriate
button. I might give it a go this weekend.

Thanks for responding!