Selling a RPTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I recently purchased a new TV and so need to have my Samsung HL-S5086w move on, hopefully to a good home. The thing is, it still works perfectly, has HDMI inputs for just about anything out there, and still has a good picture. I even have a spare lamp for it, though the current lamp is still good. It just doesn't have the new stuff like 3D, smart TV features, or 1080p.

I checked on eBay and Craigslist and found a few similar TVs (Samsung and others), but I suspect they're asking too much in the $400 range. I put mine up for $350, including the new lamp, but I'm wondering if that's too high. It's not quite as old as those early HDTVs that weigh 250lbs and often find themselves on the curb, but I fear it's getting there.

Thoughts?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It's probably worth more around the 250$ mark, but you might as well try to get as much as you can for it, if you've got some time to sell it.

I'm in the process of removing one of those 250 pound dinosaurs myself. A convergence chip stopped working and no one wanted it for free. I have a couple flights of stairs to clear tongue.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I was hoping the extra lamp would add value (the lamp inside has a good amount of life left.)

Thought about selling it with the stand, but then I'd need to buy a stand, so that's a wash at best.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 12
you live in Los Angeles and actually have room for a tv stand? wow, must be nice. why don't you wall your TV's? its easy to do and much cheaper than buying a new tv stand. I wall mount everything just to save space. I don't live in LA anymore, but I still have the LA mentality in that I save space where ever possible.

if you live in an apartment I wouldn't let that stop you from wall mounting a tv. if the walls are white all you gotta do when you move is take the tv and stand down and then fill in the screw holes with some spackle on your finger. they won't even notice it. get some advice though if you never done before. make sure you don't hit a utility and make sure the mounting bolts go into the studs.

I look forward to learning more from all of you.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Same issue here. I have a Hitachi 57S500 in the classifieds here, don't know how to price it.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excusemaker View Post

why don't you wall your TV's?

Well, obviously I couldn't wall mount a RPTV, so the stand has always been there. Plus, it holds more than just the TV, so there's no way to wall mount everything that it holds, so it may as well stay and hold the new TV. I mean, I suppose I could wall mount the TV, but it wouldn't save any space in my situation.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM

sorry. I didn't know anyone still made those kins of tvs. I thought all tvs were flat lcd types now. I haven't seen a rear projection tv in almost 10 years personally

post #8 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rear projections ended production in 2012 (Mitsubishi was the last one.) My new TV is an LCD, but it works fine on the same stand.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM

wow! 2012 really? gosh, I don't know what happened. around here you never see rear projection TV's anymore in the store. I thought the they quick making them back in 2003 or 2004. not many people I know have had them in years. the main reason I think was that given the cost of the bulbs it was smarter to just go ahead and upgrade to a flat panel tv. I like to wall mount all my tvs to save space. often I use the space under my tv and audio racks (I typically include an audio rack under each tv) for my laundry hampers or subwoofers if I have them. I have 2 32" and 2 42" tvs. none of them are on tv stands. I don't have the room for tv stands. also, I can't afford tv stands. the nice ones cost too much I think

post #10 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought the they quick making them back in 2003 or 2004.

I was shopping for mine in 2006-2007, and there was at least Sony, RCA, JVC, Samsung, and Mitsubishi making DLP rear projections or LCoS rear projections at that time, because those were what I was looking at. Toshiba might have been in there, too. They didn't last too much longer than that, though. Samsung left the market in 2008, and the others were sometime before that.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsanford View Post

Same issue here. I have a Hitachi 57S500 in the classifieds here, don't know how to price it.

If it's one of the ones that separates into 2 pieces make sure you state that in the ad.
Your probably looking at around 150$ (the calibration should add some value). Might as well start higher though, unless your in a rush to sell it.
Quote:

sorry. I didn't know anyone still made those kins of tvs. I thought all tvs were flat lcd types now. I haven't seen a rear projection tv in almost 10 years personally

You do realize your in the Rear Projection section of the forum right? wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 AM

this is where the "generous" side of me tends to come out. if I have something that's old and dated, but still good and useful and I can't sell it then I usually lose patience and just give it away to someone I know or set it out at a yard sale. i'll make my price low enough where somebody will buy it if I go the yard sale route. if somebody tries to low ball me to a redicules point then i'll take a sledge hammer to it and then offer it for the amount they want. I don't do yardsales very often at all so I normally just give away my old stuff. that's what I did with my old av receiver. there was nothing wrong with it. its was Yamaha RXV 763 and it worked fine. I gave it away this past winter to some guys at work who had a shop they worked on their custom cars in. all they needed was speakers. I even threw in some 12 gauge monster speaker wire since I was upgrading from that too. i'll never waste my money on monster cable again. there way better stuff on the market for less money. the receiver I only paid 350 for as an open box item to begin with and I used it for 4 or 5 years. I got my money worth out of it. when I gave it away I didn't feel like I was losing anything, but the person I gave it to was all impressed. they didn't know anything about this stuff. they thought I gave them some exotic high end machine when in fact it was still a somewhat low end unit to begin with.

all too often its more trouble trying to sell something than it is to just get rid of it. that's how my thought process works anyways. putting my life on hold for a couple of hundred bucks is not worth it when i'm limited on space and have better things to do to occupy my time. also, it makes me feel good inside when I give things away to people that can use it especially when I see the look in their eyes when they have it hooked up and they are happy and enjoying it. times are hard these days and nobody has any money anyways. these old projection TV's I would not even attempt to sell. I would instead just give them away and be done with it.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't say they are dated. Mine seemed to offer somewhere around the detail of the average 720p plasma, and would have done better with a full cleaning, accurate geometry setup and calibration.

If your selling a set with a washed out warped image, or contaminated coolant, then you can consider giving it away to someone who is up for the work involved in bringing it back. If your selling a pristine set that has been setup by a known calibrator, then a couple hundred bucks shouldn't be out of the question.
It also helps if it is of a larger size and can conveniently separate into 2 parts.
Selling it on Avs you have the best chance of selling to someone who will recognize the value of a calibrated and properly maintained crt rear projection set.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The one I have isn't all that dated. It's still HD (yeah, 720p, but that's still HD) and has two HDMI inputs. If anything, it'd make a good college gaming TV, as it'll work with a PS3 or 360 or Wii. Yeah, it's not a flatscreen, but that just means it has room on top to hold your beer. smile.gif

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page