Mitsubishi WD-73C9 Screen Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While out of my site, my 4 year old got his hands on a spray bottle of Pine Sol and decided to clean my 73C9 with it. Well it ran down the front of the screen and what I believe to be lens tape on the back of the screen absorbed it. The Pine Sol is apparently very caustic to this material because it ate it away. I now have several areas at the bottom of the screen that don't reflect and now are just empty black spots on the tv or if you stare hard enough, you can see a faint picture.

I have no idea what part I need to order, who I need to order it from, what it's going to cost, etc. I live in the Kansas City metro. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

XBL: Buddyl33
PSN: KC_Buddyl33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyl33 View Post

While out of my site, my 4 year old got his hands on a spray bottle of Pine Sol and decided to clean my 73C9 with it. Well it ran down the front of the screen and what I believe to be lens tape on the back of the screen absorbed it. The Pine Sol is apparently very caustic to this material because it ate it away. I now have several areas at the bottom of the screen that don't reflect and now are just empty black spots on the tv or if you stare hard enough, you can see a faint picture.

I have no idea what part I need to order, who I need to order it from, what it's going to cost, etc. I live in the Kansas City metro. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If I were you I would not waste a second taking it apart. What you think is permanent damage may not be. When a liquid is shot on a screen like this it leaks down into the bottom of the screen and then wicks up by capillary action to in between the two layer where it can stay a liquid for a long time. The liquid, having a refractive index closer to that of plastic than air, messes up the different focusing action of the screen layers.

I don't know the contents of the pinesol in your case, but I am hoping it doesn't contain anything that will actually melt plastic.

You have to get the frame on the front off, lay the frame on the floor, and remove the strips that hold the plastic layers to the frame, freeing up the plastic two-layer screen. Then you have to separate the two layers and clean them both thoroughly. Most important, don't get the layers or the direction they face mixed up. Mark them somehow.

See http://elektrotanya.com/mitsubitsi_wd-60c9_65c9_73c9_60737_65737_73737_82737_65837_73837_82837_chassis_v41c_sm.pdf/download.html

For take-apart help.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

If I were you I would not waste a second taking it apart. What you think is permanent damage may not be. When a liquid is shot on a screen like this it leaks down into the bottom of the screen and then wicks up by capillary action to in between the two layer where it can stay a liquid for a long time. The liquid, having a refractive index closer to that of plastic than air, messes up the different focusing action of the screen layers.

I don't know the contents of the pinesol in your case, but I am hoping it doesn't contain anything that will actually melt plastic.

You have to get the frame on the front off, lay the frame on the floor, and remove the strips that hold the plastic layers to the frame, freeing up the plastic two-layer screen. Then you have to separate the two layers and clean them both thoroughly. Most important, don't get the layers or the direction they face mixed up. Mark them somehow.

See http://elektrotanya.com/mitsubitsi_wd-60c9_65c9_73c9_60737_65737_73737_82737_65837_73837_82837_chassis_v41c_sm.pdf/download.html

For take-apart help.

Hey thanks for the idea. You were right, there was liquid trapped in there. However it seems it might have damaged the clear lens, while the outer screen seems fine. Not sure what to clean it with

post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyl33 View Post

Hey thanks for the idea. You were right, there was liquid trapped in there. However it seems it might have damaged the clear lens, while the outer screen seems fine. Not sure what to clean it with

Water, distilled best if you have it, with a drop of dishwashing liquid (not the antibacterial kind) added per pint or so. Baby shampoo also good. The clear lens has thousands of fiber-like elements molded into it, so it's kind of permeable to water. You have to rinse it thoroughly with plain water and gently dry it, then let it air dry the rest of the way.

While you're at it you will be tempted to clean the main lens and the big mirror. Same cleaning instructions. Very gentle with both, they scratch easily. Don't drip water into anything.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Water, distilled best if you have it, with a drop of dishwashing liquid (not the antibacterial kind) added per pint or so. Baby shampoo also good. The clear lens has thousands of fiber-like elements molded into it, so it's kind of permeable to water. You have to rinse it thoroughly with plain water and gently dry it, then let it air dry the rest of the way.

While you're at it you will be tempted to clean the main lens and the big mirror. Same cleaning instructions. Very gentle with both, they scratch easily. Don't drip water into anything.

Chuck I could hug you right now. I wound up cleaning it with water and alcohol wipes. It was a slow process but I got it all cleaned up. Used a microfiber towel (same thing I use on my car) so as not to scratch the lens.

I wasn't tempted to clean anything else in the tv as if it isn't broke I didn't want to fix it.

Thanks for turning a full on panic into an incredible success.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyl33 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ChuckF. 
Chuck I could hug you right now. I wound up cleaning it with water and alcohol wipes. It was a slow process but I got it all cleaned up. Used a microfiber towel (same thing I use on my car) so as not to scratch the lens.
I wasn't tempted to clean anything else in the tv as if it isn't broke I didn't want to fix it.
Thanks for turning a full on panic into an incredible success.
Looking to disassemble my screen to clean the mirror on my 60C9. Are alcohol wipes safe for the mirror, screens & lens?
Any particular type?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page