Anyone Have Picture Problems after Mitsubishi DMD Chip Replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I recently had my DMD chip replaced by Mitsubishi and immediately noticed a "color and sharpness bug" similar to the one found in the 2011 sets when new (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397654/mi...1-dlp-sets-fix).  

My TV is Model WD-65835 

Has anyone with a new DMD noticed the jaggedness of lines and improper pixel colors shown in these pics?  I'm trying to figure out if it's something the installer did, or if (as in the 2011 models) the chip algorithms are different for the new chip.  It's really obvious with red objects and text. These are closeup details of course, the picture looks blurry and low resolution from a distance.

EDIT: MGM logo on Blu-ray disc

OTA/ Cable

EDIT: TV Menu

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140106_181045.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	374554 (click to enlarge)
 EDIT: PS3 Youtube logo

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140106_182023.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	374562 (click to enlarge)

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-19-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added TV model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had two replacements and didn't have this issue with mine. I hope you get this resolved soon.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I recently had my DMD chip replaced by Mitsubishi and immediately noticed a "color and sharpness bug" similar to the one found in the 2011 sets when new (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397654/mi...1-dlp-sets-fix).

Has anyone with a new DMD noticed the jaggedness of lines and improper pixel colors shown in these pics? I'm trying to figure out if it's something the installer did, or if (as in the 2011 models) the chip algorithms are different for the new chip. It's really obvious with red objects and text.

Were you able to get this fixed? I'm about to replace my DLP chip and I was wondering what model TV was being referred to.

Woo
Old 10-29-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootanga View Post
Were you able to get this fixed? I'm about to replace my DLP chip and I was wondering what model TV was being referred to.

Woo
No, unfortunately.

Since I posted, they replaced my light engine and updated the TV to the latest firmware, but it didn't fix the problem. I appreciated all they did, but they just couldn't fix it. They finally claimed the set should be viewed from 12 feet away, so there was no problem and refused to go any further! Whatever. If there was no problem, why did I call them? Why did they replace the light engine and update the firmware? Hmmmm.

My TV is Model WD-65835. Even at 12 ft away, one can tell that the picture is not right. My other set is a WD-73837, and the difference in clarity is obvious. I guess they just gave up. All they have left at Mitsubishi are a bunch of "parts changers".

With all the chip replacements being done I was hoping to build some support to get Mitsubishi to fix the problem just as they finally did for the 2011 models in that thread that I posted. Nobody seemed to notice a difference, so no luck there.

It's almost as if my TV is now 720P, with diagonals very jagged, and pixels along sharp edges being painted the wrong color, as in the photos I attached. Turning OFF SmoothPicture helps slightly, but it's still really bad. I still think the SmoothPicture algorithms in the TV's firmware are incorrect for the newer chips, but the Warranty guy claimed that there were no engineers left working there that could write new firmware.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is unfortunate and alarming to me. I have a 65735 that needs a new dmd chip, and now I'm afraid of ending up with the same problem. I will let you know if I notice a change in picture quality after I do the repair. So far, only two stuck white pixels so it's not too distracting.

bg
Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm replacing my xx735's dmd soon, now you have me worried
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When mine was replaced I was more than happy. My pitcher was much more colorful and crisp. Plus they gave me a one year warranty.
So I say take a deep breath and see what happens. If you do get a bad chip they will replace it for you. Do not let them leave if you are not happy. The can always a just the the setting to make it right.
When the service people came out for me the even cleaned my mirror
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post
When mine was replaced I was more than happy. My pitcher was much more colorful and crisp. Plus they gave me a one year warranty.
So I say take a deep breath and see what happens. If you do get a bad chip they will replace it for you. Do not let them leave if you are not happy. The can always a just the the setting to make it right.
When the service people came out for me the even cleaned my mirror
Well, they replaced the whole light engine (which had its own chip) trying to solve the problem, so it wasn't a defect in the new chip.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Well, they replaced the whole light engine (which had its own chip) trying to solve the problem, so it wasn't a defect in the new chip.
Have you tried adjusting Sharpness while on one of the internal patterns instead of using broadcast images? The patterns can be accessed by pressing MENU and entering 2 4 5 7. I believe that same service menu will have better sharpness adjustment options than the regular menu.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
Have you tried adjusting Sharpness while on one of the internal patterns instead of using broadcast images? The patterns can be accessed by pressing MENU and entering 2 4 5 7. I believe that same service menu will have better sharpness adjustment options than the regular menu.
I have calibrated many Mitsubishi DLPs and I am very familiar with the Service Menus. The internal menus and patterns are just as jagged as the other sources, and no adjustment fixes it.

Thanks for your advice, though.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have calibrated many Mitsubishi DLPs and I am very familiar with the Service Menus. The internal menus and patterns are just as jagged as the other sources, and no adjustment fixes it.

Thanks for your advice, though.
If the entire light engine was replaced, then it could only be the mirror ( which they cleaned ), the screen, or your source. I replaced the DMD in my 2007 xx833 65" set ( which I no longer have ) 18 months ago and everything was fine except for going back in and adjusting the geometry. My new DLP is a 2011 73840 which I ordered a spare DMD and bare lamp and lamp + housing for.

It looks like something in your signal path is pushing sharpness hard. I assume you checked different sources and tried different firmware.

HD-DVD = 94
Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
[snip] ...It looks like something in your signal path is pushing sharpness hard. I assume you checked different sources and tried different firmware.
Don't assume, read the whole thread. It's only 10 posts long.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't assume, read the whole thread. It's only 10 posts long.
I DID go through the thread before my last post. Nowhere do you mention whether you tried difference sources or whether it persists while watching a Blu-Ray, etc. I only have the broadcast pictures you posted to go by. Why don't you turn on Checkerboard like that other thread suggests before the 2011 sets ( the year I have ) got the firmware update to fix it?

I do agree that Mitsubishi skimped somewhere because the picture looked better on my 2007 set.

HD-DVD = 94
Old 11-19-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I DID go through the thread before my last post. Nowhere do you mention whether you tried difference sources or whether it persists while watching a Blu-Ray, etc. I only have the broadcast pictures you posted to go by. Why don't you turn on Checkerboard like that other thread suggests before the 2011 sets ( the year I have ) got the firmware update to fix it?

I do agree that Mitsubishi skimped somewhere because the picture looked better on my 2007 set.
Sorry, it was this post
Quote:
...The internal menus and patterns are just as jagged as the other sources...
and I guess I should have labeled the photos. The first one is Blu-ray, and I have edited the first post, adding captions and two more photos.

I have tried checkerboard. My DLP Link can't be switched off, so it isn't a viable solution. I suspect people haven't noticed the problem with the new chip, just as people in that 2011 model thread took a lot of convincing before they would even look for the issue.

My WD-65835 picture has always been noticeably better (before the chip replacement) than a later model WD-73837 I watch in another room, but not any more.

I like your model. I calibrated a friend's WD-73840, and was very impressed with the picture quality. Much better I thought, than either of mine.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidcusto View Post
I had two replacements and didn't have this issue with mine.
Take a look at your Menu Screen, especially diagonal lines

Attachment 374554 (click to view)

Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you notice this from normal viewing distance? Just replaced the chip in my wd-65735, and pic looks great and normal from my sitting position. I won't bother getting up close and personal with it because I will be replacing it in a month or two. Unless I am blown away by the 3D kit that I just bought for it, just to play with for a while. From my 12ft seating distance, everything looks nice and sharp. Happy camper here!

bg
Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good to hear.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
Did you notice this from normal viewing distance? Just replaced the chip in my wd-65735, and pic looks great and normal from my sitting position. I won't bother getting up close and personal with it because I will be replacing it in a month or two. Unless I am blown away by the 3D kit that I just bought for it, just to play with for a while. From my 12ft seating distance, everything looks nice and sharp. Happy camper here!
Yes, I noticed something was off from normal viewing distance. I had to get up close to find out why it was off.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Yes, I noticed something was off from normal viewing distance. I had to get up close to find out why it was off.
IMO the PQ looks blurry and low resolution because it is. those images looks like the video processor itself is blown. Does it look the same in HDMI, component and composite? If so...that may be your problem. The display may be putting out 480i or lower on all settings.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well curiosity got the best of me so I took a closer look. I compared my display of the menu to your pics of the same. I don't have all the fuzziness around every letter in 'video'. Letter 'I' is perfectly sharp. Only diagonals have stairstepping, but they too are sharp edged, so I am guessing it's a low-rez graphic.