9Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Just wondering what the ownership satisfaction was on these sets. cool.gif

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Excellent! I've owned 3 of 'em. Wish Mits hadn't quit making them!frown.gif

Ed
post #3 of 50 Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Love my mits 73738 wink.gif
DRaven72 likes this.
post #4 of 50 Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yep,
Another happy camper with the 73-738 !! You have to remember these sets were the best bang for the buck, size, 3D and a excellent picture !!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #5 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
New bulb in my 73640 after 4500 hours on the original, and it looks like the day I purchased it 3 years ago.

Wish Mits could have given us 4K DLP, now were stuck with LCD in that market for what seems forever since everyone is dropping OLED.

4K would have really shined on these 73-92" T.V.s.
audiofan1 likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #6 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 80
How about a three chip 4K DLP? That would have been possible. DLP has a much better picture than LCD.

Unfortunately, ACF set in (Anti Cabinet Fever) and people were swept up by FPM (Flat Panel Mania).

I don't think LG will give up on OLED, and when some difficulties are worked out, there might be some Chinese branded sets.
post #7 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have little experience but I will never again buy a RP TV. I bought a Samsung 60+ inch many years ago and was happy with it for awhile. However, flat panels soon overtook RP and I replaced it with a decent flat panel. I'll never go back.

RE DLP: My RP was DLP... eventually half the pixels were salt-and-pepper... white dots mixed with black dots. The little moving mirrors broke. Never again!!
post #8 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 67
* double post *
post #9 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

I have little experience but I will never again buy a RP TV. I bought a Samsung 60+ inch many years ago and was happy with it for awhile. However, flat panels soon overtook RP and I replaced it with a decent flat panel. I'll never go back.

RE DLP: My RP was DLP... eventually half the pixels were salt-and-pepper... white dots mixed with black dots. The little moving mirrors broke. Never again!!

Unfortunately that can happen with DLPs, particularly RPTV DLPs. The problem appears to be heat related, with the mirror hinge structure degrading although it's also been suggested that one of the effects of the mirrors constantly been electrically triggered to move creates build up of charges that can permanently bias the mirror position away from neutral. So the mirrors get stuck in either an on (white dot) or off (black dot) position.

Many have had the problem, and many others have not. The sensitivity of these light engines was probably also a factor (beside bulky cabinetry) in TV makers dropping DLP.

But to the extent that heat contributes to the deformation of the underlying hinge structure of the DMD chip's mirrors, I wonder if proper maintenance consisting of regular dust cleaning, and also maintaining adequate ventilation space behind and to the sides of the TV has prevented the screen dot problem from affecting the sets of many happy owners.
DRaven72 likes this.
post #10 of 50 Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reading this forum, RP TVs seem to be a nightmare of convergence and keystone issues and light engine and LCoS and DLP chip failures. Not to mention buying replacement lamps.

The horror!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #11 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Given that most DLP failures are likely due to heat, I'd like to know how many DLP owners who clean out their vents, or create sufficient space around their TVs for ventilation, experience failure compare to those that don't. Even just the latter...the necessity for space around the TV on the back and sides...is something that many owners probably don't realize. Most probably just stick their TVs close to the wall.

LCOS, in its implementation in RPTVs as opposed to front projectors, seemes inherently more problematic.

And then there are retro HD CRT RPTVs, with excellent PQ, that can work, undisturbed, for years...
post #12 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Reading this forum, RP TVs seem to be a nightmare of convergence and keystone issues and light engine and LCoS and DLP chip failures. Not to mention buying replacement lamps.

The horror!

Worth it when it's movie time tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #13 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Worth it when it's movie time tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Front Projection seems a better route less frought with snafus and snares.

post #14 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

Just wondering what the ownership satisfaction was on these sets. cool.gif
I'm a few months shy of having and using my rear projection CRT (Hitachi 57S715) as my primary display for 10 years. I don't regret buying it. I guess that makes me a satisfied owners.
post #15 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Only bought one and I took a bath on it. 2 weeks after warranty the power control board went out and couldn't even get one if I wanted to pay for one myself. The about 2 years later they finally became available but for $380 just for the part it wasn't worth it. Thats when I started looking into projectors and bought my first one and haven't looked back sense. One of the nice things with projectors is if they go our just throw them in a box and ship them back to be repaired, can't do that with a projection tv.
post #16 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I'm a few months shy of having and using my rear projection CRT (Hitachi 57S715) as my primary display for 10 years. I don't regret buying it. I guess that makes me a satisfied owners.

Those Hitachis are well regarded.

post #17 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That may be, but I'm itching to replace it with something bigger with better performance. I don't want to give up great black performance to get better geometry, no overscan, and better ANSI contrast. I'm a little gun shy on a plasma due to IR and some things I've seen demoing them in stores. The current crop of LCDs basically suck. The full array local dimming LCD sets might be the ticket. I'm waiting for the 2014 VE shootout to see how the two FALD set they're testing fare.
post #18 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:

That may be, but I'm itching to replace it with something bigger with better performance. I don't want to give up great black performance to get better geometry, no overscan, and better ANSI contrast. I'm a little gun shy on a plasma due to IR and some things I've seen demoing them in stores. The current crop of LCDs basically suck. The full array local dimming LCD sets might be the ticket. I'm waiting for the 2014 VE shootout to see how the two FALD set they're testing fare.

you sound exaclty like me a few years ago when I was replacing my RPT. Just be very careful with uniformity on those large tv sizes - the shootout info didn't prepare me for the types of lemons I would be buying. I will never miss geometry problems biggrin.gif
post #19 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

you sound exaclty like me a few years ago when I was replacing my RPT. Just be very careful with uniformity on those large tv sizes - the shootout info didn't prepare me for the types of lemons I would be buying. I will never miss geometry problems biggrin.gif
I hear you... I wish we didn't have a panel lottery. Even the plasma sets can have banding and other uniformity issues. I'm a little gun shy about buy a set online for this reason, especially from the discount places. I have no doubt that Chris at ClevelandAV is a standup guy, but if I get a bander I've got limited options compared to a Best Buy or Costco.
post #20 of 50 Old 06-05-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Front Projection seems a better route less frought with snafus and snares.

Front projection is great if you have a dedicated space, darkness, etc. But RPTV has real utility in most real world situations, as in a livingroom where a FP would be impractical. The real benefit of FP is in the potential screen size.

The two are different animals. And CRT RPTVs, for all their "retroness" are extremely durable, with the potential for excellent picture quality, and deep blacks.
audiofan1 and DRaven72 like this.
post #21 of 50 Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Front projection is great if you have a dedicated space, darkness, etc. But RPTV has real utility in most real world situations, as in a livingroom where a FP would be impractical. The real benefit of FP is in the potential screen size.

The two are different animals. And CRT RPTVs, for all their "retroness" are extremely durable, with the potential for excellent picture quality, and deep blacks.
You can also turn any front projetor system into a rear projection system and enjoy the same ambient lighting that you can have with a rear projection tv. All you need is the space and the right screen material.
post #22 of 50 Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My very first HDTV was a Sony RP set back in 2003 I think it was. I could not afford the $10,000+ flat panel's of the time....
post #23 of 50 Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have owned a number of them over the years. Last I heard they were all working fine. I have a 2009 82" Mits which almost never gets powered up and my 2011 92" which has the 7 thousand hours on. It is a nosiy cantankerous beast and works great except for the occasional shutdown over something it doesn't like coming in on HDMI. I have had extremely good luck with HP, Samsung and Mits sets. I expect the 92" to be in main service until I can buy a similar sized UHD set for under $4K. I am in extended warranty for another year and a half. I run my DLP sets on high quality UPSes.

Are there things about them I hate? Sure, but I like large displays and they were the only affordable quality image available at the time.

Hates:
High Energy Usage
No Instant on
No Instant off
Fan Noise
Overscan
Geometery issues
Poor Blacks, relative to good plasma and good LED
Noisy chassis. The 92" Mits especially makes more creaks and groans than a 100 year old man getting up in the morning
Lack of confidence in reliability (despite my personal experience to the contrary)
Did I mention overscan and geometry issues.
Constrained light output. The 92" makes more light than the 82" but Mits "underlamped" their very big displays.

Loves:
Overall bang for the buck
Film like picture

Most of the important issues with Rear Projection are in the implementation. Mits was under so much price pressure in the late years that they did not really build the kind of chassis that the really big sets needed. A better built set could have eliminated many of the irritations I find with these sets. Stout chassis, with stiffer screens, bigger lamps, better and quieter ventilation would have been worth an extra grand on the price.

Just another blank signature.
post #24 of 50 Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember when you got your 92 inch, and the tremendous work you did in calibration.

How come you're not using your 82? How do the two pictures compare?

Your treatment of your DLPs, which from memory includes dust cleaning, is probably why you've avoided what I believe are often heat related failures of the DMDs. and the dreaded sprawling spots.
post #25 of 50 Old 06-13-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I remember when you got your 92 inch, and the tremendous work you did in calibration.

How come you're not using your 82? How do the two pictures compare?

Your treatment of your DLPs, which from memory includes dust cleaning, is probably why you've avoided what I believe are often heat related failures of the DMDs. and the dreaded sprawling spots.

I use a small USB fan, about 3" to blow not into but by the fresh air intake of the Mits and that seems to keep the temps stable and within reason. It does raise the noise level a very small amount but I never have hot air just standing behind the set causing heat soak.

The 82" is sitting in a room where my elderly mother with Parkinson's now sleeps. For a number of reasons she no longer watches TV anymore and the set is kind of orphaned out of the wife and my current lifestyle. The 2009 82" does not hold a candle to the 2011 WD-92840 interns of image. The clear screen almost makes up for the increased image size. I could never get 2009 82" to make enough light for my tastes.

I bought the Lumagen Radiance XS after I bought the 92" and the auto-calibration using ChromaPure produces a very lovely image. The 82" set would drift on calibration but not the 92". I suspect there is something wrong with the 82" in either the firmware or a hardware issue on the logic board. I have found that calibration with Lumagen has worked very well on the 92" and I have not redone it through the last two lamps. Now the big sets needs lamp changes fairly often. I am over 3K on this lamp but the 1st one was noticeably dimmer at 1500 hours than I would like. The second I replaced around 1900 hours but I could have gone longer. This lamps is doing well and I haven't felt the need to calibrate the set once on this lamp. Skin tones are still dead on. I will change the lamp again before the NFL regular season is in full swing and recalibrate. Current versions of ChromaPure will produce even better results then I am getting now. Whether I will be able to tell the difference with a tighter calibration though is doubtful.

I also bought a Darbee Darblet. The 92" was a much better set in most ways than the 82" and I never saw the 82" with the caliber of calibration that you get with the Lumagen and its 125 point color lookup table.

The 82" chassis was better, meaning stiffer, because it was smaller and the geometry on that set was better. Other than that the 92" is a better set overall by a significant margin. The bigger display really benefits by the Darbee. Mitsubishi ditched the iris on the clear screen sets and the Darbee adds that snap that the larger image and the lack of a dynamic iris caused. The Darbee if you can find one cheap is definitely a magic box.

I guess one thing I will miss/regret when I finally end up with an LED of some strip or other is the excellent motion with sports that DLP provides. But I will really appreciate the 45 plus ft. lamberts you can manage comfortably on LED while still maintaining color accuracy.

Just another blank signature.

Last edited by gtgray; 06-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #26 of 50 Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes because I have one of those Sony SXRD sets. Got the block replaced free, but the new one went bad too. It went magenta and that color is at least manageable. I hate having to replace lamps and I won't be buying another Sony.
post #27 of 50 Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Its sad to see DLP disappearing it seems all round. The Projector seems to be going away from DLP also. Was really looking forward to a 4K home DLP projector. I just cannot for the life of me like an LCD after watching this DLP for 3 years. I notice little annoying crap like motion blur, side screen fade. With OLED getting farther away, I don't know what I am going to upgrade to.
audiofan1 likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #28 of 50 Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
Its sad to see DLP disappearing it seems all round...

...With OLED getting farther away, I don't know what I am going to upgrade to.
Live theater.

()
old corps and Mark12547 like this.
post #29 of 50 Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Live theater.

()
Be careful of the pyrotechnics though!
post #30 of 50 Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyes View Post
Yes because I have one of those Sony SXRD sets. Got the block replaced free, but the new one went bad too. It went magenta and that color is at least manageable. I hate having to replace lamps and I won't be buying another Sony.
Funny I have a Sony VWPro1 SXRD PJ now and I love it. I bought my first RP tv back in 2003 and it was 50" Toshiba. I can still remember the first time I saw HD on it and I was amazed. After that I was spoiled.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page