Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Mitsu WD73740 DLP.

Just today, I notice these strange streaks on my screen. I'm fairly certain they weren't there yesterday. Any idea what this might be?

I cleaned the mirror and the back of the screen. I also tried a different lamp but these streaks did not change.

Upper left:

Lower right, which also shows a small smudge that just showed up as well:

And full screen:

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, pay no attention to the vignetting (dark corners and edges), that must be introduced by my camera because it doesn't look that way in person.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, my buddy at work just made me feel stupid....I didn't try a different input on the TV, nor did I try bypassing my AVR or a different HDMI cable. redface.gif

Will try all that tonight and report back! Hopefully it's just the input or cable....hope it's NOT my AVR. eek.gif

post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So....last night, after trying bypassing my AVR and trying different inputs on the TV...and trying a different HDMI cable, I was about to declare defeat.

When I say in the OP that I "cleaned the mirror" I should have said "dusted"....last night I actually cleaned the mirror (removed the screen and really cleaned it) and the streaks have gone away. My mirror was really dirty....like unbelievably dirty. It's strange how that pattern of streaks formed though....must have to do with the airflow inside the TV.

Anyways, I'm now a happy camper! TV looks brand new again!

Not sure why I thought the streaks popped up overnight when obviously it was a progressive thing. Just took awhile for me to notice it I guess....then once you see it, you can't un-see it kinda thing. smile.gif

post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
wow congrats on fixing the streaks, i just picked up a 73734 and was wondering if you could link me to a tutorial of how you performed your cleaning. because i just acquired my tv i dont know how old the lamp is, i am considering replacing it and was also thinking of pulling out the light engine for an inspection and cleaning if it needs it.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I couldn't find any tutorials on how to remove the screen so I just started pulling screws 'til it came loose. eek.gif

It was easy, really. There are a bunch of screws on the back of the frame marked with arrows, then 2 screws hidden under caps in the front bottom of the frame. I recommend having a helper for removal and reinstall of the screen though. wink.gif

Once you have all the screws out, there aren't any wires or anything to worry about. The screen (and frame) just come straight off.

Oh, and make sure you have someone to hold the screen in place before you remove the final two screws on top.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM

i understand now you went through the front. i am debating whether or not to pull the optical engine from the rear to have a look at how clean everything is. i have no problems with my set at all i just wanted to do it out of curiosity and while there clean what can be cleaned and install a new Philips lamp. maybe i should just leave it alone seeing as i have no problems.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I couldn't find any tutorials on how to remove the screen so I just started pulling screws 'til it came loose. eek.gif

It was easy, really. There are a bunch of screws on the back of the frame marked with arrows, then 2 screws hidden under caps in the front bottom of the frame. I recommend having a helper for removal and reinstall of the screen though. wink.gif

Once you have all the screws out, there aren't any wires or anything to worry about. The screen (and frame) just come straight off.

Oh, and make sure you have someone to hold the screen in place before you remove the final two screws on top.

Thanks, can you post any pictures of the screws, position, etc. so that it will be easier when we have to do this?

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a quick and dirty pic I pulled off of Google.

These locations are only approximate. The red dots are where the screws are in the back of the frame, the two green dots are the screws in the front that are covered.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post

i understand now you went through the front. i am debating whether or not to pull the optical engine from the rear to have a look at how clean everything is. i have no problems with my set at all i just wanted to do it out of curiosity and while there clean what can be cleaned and install a new Philips lamp. maybe i should just leave it alone seeing as i have no problems.

I don't know if I would pull the light engine....just take the screen off and clean the lens and mirror and you should be good to go.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by smokozuna 

I don't know if I would pull the light engine....just take the screen off and clean the lens and mirror and you should be good to go.
thank you for making this thread. yesterday my son and i pulled the light engine and cleaned all the mirrors and optics and pulled the screen and cleaned the mirror and chassis internals. the set is noticeably brighter and looks great.
Reply Rear Projection Units
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page