is lcos still among the best - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is lcos still among the best

I purchased a Sony KDS-60A3000 which had one of the best pictures I've ever seen. It was so
gorgeous that my brother in law, the great procrastinator, purchased one for himself and I still
think that the public rebuke of one of the great scorned technologies (LCOS) of our time is a permanent shame on the public here in the USA. The blacks and natural colors are really comparable to my Pioneer Pro-151FD set which I bought in a panic mode as Pioneer got out of making the gorgeous Kuro sets.
The reason I am writing this is a friend of mine is in desperate need of an inexpensive tv and I can't think of something better than finding a little used LCOS set (like an SXRD bravia lcos set) which can be basically renewed by adding a new lamp.
So I am throwing this out to the collective wisdom here ( best place in the world to source educated opinions ) to see if I am thinking with a bit of clarity. I know that LCOS is still being used in high end front projections systems which suggests a bit of madness in how easily discarded it was by people wanting super thin tv's and when you consider that most HDTV bases are close to the same profile that the newer rear projections were( within 2 inches of the same footprint)
Am I on the right track?????????

when you always do what you've alway done, you always get what you always got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
The problem with the Sony SXRD RPTVs is all of them suffer from gradual engine block deterioration. As a result, I would not recommend purchasing a used one. I used to own a 60A3000 and it was very nice the first year or so before the deterioration set in although the color, contrast and blacks even initially certainly didn't measure anywhere near my Panasonic plasmas (ST30 and VT60). I would suggest looking for a used recent model plasma (especially from Panasonic) or go for a new Samsung plasma.

I have since moved to front projection with a newer JVC that uses LCoS and the image is breathtaking and above any other display I have ever used. That is the best route to go if you have the room for such.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Definitely consider getting a used one or I possibly taking a trip to costco. They have amazing deals and all are out on display for you to test out.

Last edited by zeplin; 07-31-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 60" Sony KDS6000A (I think) that I bought new in August 2006 and paid $3100 for it which was 500 below list. (Note to self - don't jump into a new technology too early). It was a great set at the time and still plays great today. I don't use it every day but the picture is still excellent and the set never exhibited the "green blob" or "blue push" problems that led to the early demise of this technology. I'm still using the original lamp on low power. I just can't justify getting rid of it yet.

I would recommend buying a used one if the picture is still solid but give it a workout first. You can do a lot of adjustments to the picture and I believe that the maintenance section has an elapsed time readout you can see which may help.
Reply Rear Projection Units
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page