post #1 of 2 Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony KDS-55A3000 possible Ballast Issue

Hello!

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a Sony KDS-55A3000 projection TV. A few months ago, the picture was getting darker as if the lamp was going bad. I have replaced the lamp a number of times in the past so I was aware what a failing lamp looked like. However, the lamp was only a month old and it was an OEM lamp, not a knockoff.

I called the place where I bought the lamp and they allowed me to return it and they sent me a replacement lamp, again, an OEM. The picture was just as dark as it was with the lamp just replaced.

I again spoke to the owner of the lamp supplier and he assured me that they tested the lamp I returned and it was like new. He did tell me that it was likely that my ballast was going bad.

So I spoke to a local TV repair shop and was told that a ballast does not "go bad" but that it either works or fails. He said that it was likely the optical block which would cost about $2,000 to replace!

After doing some research, I doubt that it is the optical block because other than a dark picture, there is nothing else wrong. Colors are fine, no distortion and nothing is skewed.

So to my question, is it possible that my ballast is going bad? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-23-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasj_TX View Post
...I again spoke to the owner of the lamp supplier and he assured me that they tested the lamp I returned and it was like new. He did tell me that it was likely that my ballast was going bad....
Not true, not with your symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasj_TX View Post
...So I spoke to a local TV repair shop and was told that a ballast does not "go bad" but that it either works or fails. He said that it was likely the optical block which would cost about $2,000 to replace!

After doing some research, I doubt that it is the optical block because other than a dark picture, there is nothing else wrong. Colors are fine, no distortion and nothing is skewed....
Usually true. Lamps/Ballasts either work or they don't work. Only at the very end of the life of the lamp is where you might see some loss of brightness. Optical block failure on these usually comes in the form of tinted one color or blobs or dots. But it is possible there is something happening between the lamp and the lens (inside the optical block) that is reducing the amount of light from the lamp. If you want to try a DIY fix, then I do not suggest you try "repairing" the optical block yourself. This would be your best bet: eBay $300 send optical block for refurb contact them, maybe see if they test before/after....
Reply Rear Projection Units
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page