Samsung HLS 5687 turns off with three blinking lights. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Samsung HLS 5687 turns off with three blinking lights.

Hi, first post here. I have a Samsung HLS 5687w with some issues. Got it used in 2010 and its been a great unit. Replaced the bulb about 1 1/2 years ago with a phillips when it was dimming. No other issues till this morning, let me try to describe "exactly" what is happening:
Turn the tv on and it fires up with a good picture. Bright and clear for about 20-25 seconds. Then the picture goes black with the sound still on for another 5-8 seconds. Then it turns itself off with a "click" and the three lights start blinking. Left is red, middle green, and right green. They continue to blink. It will blink all day.
No smells, loud sounds, flickering of the screen, no "whirring" of the light wheel or anything else that would seem different.
I've seen so many descriptions that seem similar to mine but just different enough to start a thread about it.
Any help would be appreciated. I've only opened the back once to change the bulb, this tv has not been fiddeled with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd like to thank this forum for all the help I have received. Worst help forum ever.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
These Samsung DLP's can be elusive to diagnose even for a technician with a meter. You can't rely on the front panel lights to diagnose. If you don't have a meter, or never used one before, then you could find yourself guessing what is wrong. You could take the whole back off, tape down the lamp door switch, plug in/press power, watch for fans spinning, listen for color wheel, watch and listen for ballast firing, look for any signs the lamp flickers.

If you have a meter you could check the high voltage across the two pin connector going to the lamp during power on. This requires taking the entire back off, taping down the lamp door switch, using very long and pointy meter leads that can get into the lamp connector while you plug in/press power.

Besides that, lamps are designed to run for about 6000 hours. So if you run your Tv for 10 hours a day, then that is almost 1.5 years. That 6000 hours can vary depending on many factors, so you might get more or less. The first thing a repair tech would do, is replace the lamp with an original Samsung product (not any cheap knock off). That is what I would suggest for you because even if that doesn't solve your current issue, the Tv will need a new lamp very soon anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Rear Projection Units
Gear in this thread - 5687w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page