Weird black level issue on Samsung DLP after replacing bulb - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Weird black level issue on Samsung DLP after replacing bulb

I recently changed out the bulb in my Samsung HL-R5078W. The bulb is not counterfeit. The image got much brighter, but I'm noticing some issues in darker areas of the picture. If the dark areas are close to black but have gradients or areas that are slightly lighter, some of the areas will show as almost black with a greenish tint. I'm not sure if I can capture the affect in a picture.

Any suggestions on what settings I can adjust to get rid of this problem?

"Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arklier View Post
I recently changed out the bulb in my Samsung HL-R5078W. The bulb is not counterfeit. The image got much brighter, but I'm noticing some issues in darker areas of the picture. If the dark areas are close to black but have gradients or areas that are slightly lighter, some of the areas will show as almost black with a greenish tint. I'm not sure if I can capture the affect in a picture.

Any suggestions on what settings I can adjust to get rid of this problem?
Color/hue/tint controls, or even full calibration. For now, adjust your contrast and brightness controls (using test patterns), and let the lamp burn in for about 200 hours before you worry about it.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Color/hue/tint controls, or even full calibration. For now, adjust your contrast and brightness controls (using test patterns), and let the lamp burn in for about 200 hours before you worry about it.
Thanks. It turned out to be the index delay setting on the color wheel. I replaced the color wheel about two years ago and set the delay at that time. I didn't notice the problem with the old bulb, but maybe it's because the dimming of the bulb disguised the problem by crushing the blacks. I dropped the index delay from 57 to 43 and now it is back to looking like it should.

"Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arklier View Post
Thanks. It turned out to be the index delay setting on the color wheel. I replaced the color wheel about two years ago and set the delay at that time. I didn't notice the problem with the old bulb, but maybe it's because the dimming of the bulb disguised the problem by crushing the blacks. I dropped the index delay from 57 to 43 and now it is back to looking like it should.
So you were seeing posterization. That was not what you described. This is where pictures would have helped. Plus, you didn't say you had messed around in the Service Menu.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I described what I saw. The problem was only visible in dark areas, and this is the first time I've ever heard of the term posterization. I would have liked to provide a picture but my camera takes really crappy images in low light. All of the pictures I took turned out blurry and grainy.

I haven't touched the service menu (except to reset the lamp hours) since I changed out the color wheel years ago and didn't notice the issue until the bulb change, so I didn't connect the issue with the color wheel. The last post in this thread is what gave me the idea the index delay might be at fault:

Samsung 'S' DLP w/ a green cast, or 'push' in low light areas (shadows).

Anyway, I do plan on recalibrating since the index delay change has made some of the colors look too intense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page