73737 DMD housing stuck, wtf - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
73737 DMD housing stuck, wtf

So I'm trying to do what should be a simple, easy task replacing the flimsy DMD or DLP chip or whatever the heck you prefer calling it. If you have a 73737, good luck trying to watch a shopjimmy video, it will be of hardly any use. The DMD housing is completely different than the video, with extra screws, and when they are all unscrewed, the stupid cheap looking house is still stuck to the DMD board. I'm pulling on it from the bottom, I've tried lightly prying around every screw hole and it still wants to stay stuck on to the board for God knows what reason why. Just Genius! What a fantastic design and awesome video! I love getting stuck in the middle of simple, easy tasks...and I'm sure you will love it too when you have to fix your TV that looks nothing like a shopjimmy video I can find.

I used to build computers for a living, and that's why I'm not going to pry on the housing any harder, something is going to break. I'm sure Jimmy will cover that...

Not

Have fun with your 2009 series TV's lol.

Edit: Another fun inconsistency with the video. The "lens shroud cover" which looks easily removable with 3 screws in the video, only looks like it has two. Then when you start to remove it, there is some foam on the opposite side that has a sticky backing holding the other side together, instead of a screw like the video suggests. I don't feel like ripping the sticky backing off of the foam near the lens just to take it off, which doesn't even look remotely necessary to fix the DMD chip. Except, the DMD housing is completely stuck and 100% opposite of whatever variety they show in the video.

Someone definitely needs to post an up-to-date video using at least somewhat similar screens. It is 2014 after all.

Last edited by InstantEulogy; 08-14-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Man, I was definitely salty last night at 1AM trying to get this tv back together and working; I apologize for the bad attitude. I figured out what was different between the videos on youtube and my particular model. The two little bolts holding it together were from the DVI connection my TV uses for the data connection. I thought about that when I went to bed all frustrated. Lo and behold, I woke up today and that was the first thing I tried and it worked, the DMD housing is no longer stuck.

Also, if you have a cat, be careful leaving your TV open while you are working on it...my cat thought it would be funny to climb up into the TV when I wasn't looking. Then again, my cat also gets in and out of my house by climbing in and out of my fire place chimney....
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantEulogy View Post
Man, I was definitely salty last night at 1AM trying to get this tv back together and working; I apologize for the bad attitude. I figured out what was different between the videos on youtube and my particular model. The two little bolts holding it together were from the DVI connection my TV uses for the data connection. I thought about that when I went to bed all frustrated. Lo and behold, I woke up today and that was the first thing I tried and it worked, the DMD housing is no longer stuck.

Also, if you have a cat, be careful leaving your TV open while you are working on it...my cat thought it would be funny to climb up into the TV when I wasn't looking. Then again, my cat also gets in and out of my house by climbing in and out of my fire place chimney....
No apology necessary. Man, you should hear ME when one of those simple, easy projects turns into hours of frustration.......
Nah, you shouldn't. lol.
Glad you got 'er done!

Ed
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page