My not so perfect 65HDX82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2002, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay everyone, I'm sure that most of you have read my review of the Toshiba 65HDX82.

I still love this set but have noticed 3 things that is bugging me and need to get them fixed. I would like your feedback.

1. There IS a hissing in the speakers now. I didn't notice this the first day when I wrote the review but now it's there. It's not loud at all because I have to put my ear next to the TV speakers to hear it. I'm not even sure if this is worth complaining about. The fix is to replace the Sound Board right?

2. There is a green tint to my deep blacks. Especially visible at night time watching DVDs that have very dark scenes. I had read about playing with RCUT, BCUT and RGAIN, BGAIN but I can't find the xGAIN in the Service menu only the xCUT. Plus, this is really annoying without the proper meters/analyzers. Is this something that I can expect Toshiba to fix?

3. When I do the 9pt or 56pt convergence, I notice that the RED (cross or box) is not as focused on the right side as it is on the left side. The red is actually defused and glowing more making it visible around the Blue and Green. This makes it difficult to do a good convergence because red is visible all around the Blue and Green. This problem is only visible on the right corner and only for the red. Blue and Green are fine. Any ideas?

I don't want to return the set. I want to get these 3 issues fixed. Any help would be appreciated. I think that one of the things that I have to do about the blacks is do the DUV treatment (or flat black paint) because I see a lot of HALO in dark scenes with light images.

Thanks y'all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2002, 10:27 AM

I do not have a RPTV, but something tells me if you put your ear next to just about any speaker you will hear some amount of hiss.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:31 AM

1. Hissing: How often do you watch your set with your ear up to the speaker? This seems like a non-issue because it doesn't affect your typical use of the set. If the hissing were audible from your listening seat, that would be different.

2.Green blacks: something that an ISF calibration would fix. Safer to use a knowledgeable ISF tech than the typical tech that Toshiba would send out. Or, learn to use service menu, write down all parameters first, then adjust GCUT to reduce the green. If you don't like it, put it back where it was, or try a new adjustment.

3. Sounds like a mechanical/electronic focus issue. This is common with all sets. ISF alignment fixes this. Or, you could learn to fix it yourself.

In the big picture (so to speak), these are all really minor and fixable issues if you otherwise like the set. Keep it and fix these.

Les
Old 08-28-2002, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally posted by Prakash

1. There IS a hissing in the speakers now. I didn't notice this the first day when I wrote the review but now it's there. It's not loud at all because I have to put my ear next to the TV speakers to hear it. I'm not even sure if this is worth complaining about. The fix is to replace the Sound Board right?

I have read about this at other forums as well as here. This apears to be a known defect with the toshiba sets, and not limited to only your particular set. I would suggest the solution would be to disable the speakers in the set and use better speakers from a surround system. Use it as an excuse to upgrade your sound system:) :) :) :):D :D :D Thats the only postive spin I can put on it.
Quote:

2. There is a green tint to my deep blacks. Especially visible at night time watching DVDs that have very dark scenes. I had read about playing with RCUT, BCUT and RGAIN, BGAIN but I can't find the xGAIN in the Service menu only the xCUT. Plus, this is really annoying without the proper meters/analyzers. Is this something that I can expect Toshiba to fix?

The Hitachi's of last year had this problem too. "green push"
You can adjust the drives and cuts to remove a bit of green, but I would suggest writing down the orginal values first so you can revert back in the case of and error or dislike. I would also suggest to really know what you are doing, cause you can do some serious harm to the set in their too. An ISF type calibration should remove this, and setting the grey scale to D6500K would help enhance your color accuracy of the set as well. Thats really the only solution I would suggest. Playing with the Drives and Cuts without proper equiptment I would not reccomend.

Quote:

3. When I do the 9pt or 56pt convergence, I notice that the RED (cross or box) is not as focused on the right side as it is on the left side. The red is actually defused and glowing more making it visible around the Blue and Green. This makes it difficult to do a good convergence because red is visible all around the Blue and Green. This problem is only visible on the right corner and only for the red. Blue and Green are fine. Any ideas?

I don't want to return the set. I want to get these 3 issues fixed. Any help would be appreciated. I think that one of the things that I have to do about the blacks is do the DUV treatment (or flat black paint) because I see a lot of HALO in dark scenes with light images.
Sounds Like your set is victim of a tough ride to your house, and some bad factory tunning and set up. Focus apears to be off with the description you gave. GOT A SERVICE MANUAL? I am sure you could learn to do it yourself if you wanted to take the risk of voiding you warranty, and the hassle of having to learn and do so. You seem to be a tweaker, so I can't say don't go for it, cause I know I did, and would again. Learning and tweaking builds charecter! :D :)

Exchanging the set for another would probably be the best route at this point, since all the problems might get fixed with the next one. (doubt it, but worth a shot) If, not- Start alot of internet assisted posting and tweaking and see if you can whip that set into proper shape without having to pay for the cost of a full ISF type job. (which should fix most problems except the speaker hiss, which I think is a toshiba trait defect)

Internal reflections of light inside the set can effect blacks. Duv, or black paint might help. Also, a proper set contrast setting and light output.

The Hitachi's have a speacial Lense system (super contrast) which is treated with a multi coating on the lense and inside the lense barrel to minimize internal reflections inside the lense barrel, which increases contrast and keeps the reflections down. You problem could be internal reflections inside the lense barrel of the green CRT gun, which is getting mixed into portions of the picture it should not be. (like your blacks) Does the Toshiba also use a green color purity filter like the Hitachi does?

With some more info I can try to help you some more.

MIKE

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-28-2002, 12:49 PM

Prakash,

My advice would be not to return this set. You might end up with a set that has other (more serious) problems (ie ghosting or worse hissing). Do some cautious tweaking or get that ISF calibration.

From the pics you posted, I see it says on the label Assembled in the U.S.
Does that mean that your tv was shipped all the way from Tennessee? That long of a trip is bound to throw off some factory adjustments.

Jason
Old 08-28-2002, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jason_56356

From the pics you posted
Jason
What pics?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-28-2002, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well Prakash, I guess I could easily tease you on your final choice of vendors, but that's just not my style! :)

You can probably get the green out of the blacks with the GCUT parameter, but without a colour analyser, it's impossible to know where you really are. Maybe you should have raised RCUT and BCUT instead? Adjusting GCUT down is going to take some green out of the high-end of the brightness spectrum too, but maybe it's already green deficient there and you're making it worse? If all you want to do is take the green out of the dark areas, then okay, adjust GCUT but it's just not that easy if you want it correct.

As for the hiss in the speakers, what's the input? Cable TV directly into the set, or something else? If you're using some sort of external box, make sure it's volume control (if it has one) is set high enough. The higher the gain coming into the set (before distortion of course!), the lower the hiss will be. Also, I find that using the Stable Sound feature adds a bit of hiss since it seems to lower the gain overall and you end up using a higher average volume level.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by jcrash
I do not have a RPTV, but something tells me if you put your ear next to just about any speaker you will hear some amount of hiss.
I disagree, if you use quality speakers, amps, receiver and cables along with proper grounding and installation, you should hear nothing at all.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Old 08-28-2002, 03:56 PM

I am a 65H82 owner who has been posting on the HTSpot re: my hissing problem. My observation, while I am still having the problem until the sound board comes in to the svc.tech, is that I notice it from 10-12 ft away at low volume levels (i.e. below say 24 level). I have not had to get right up to the speakers to hear it. As an aside, isn't the sound system upgraded when you go H to HDX?
I do love the set now after much buyers remorse. Though you guys have made me a very critical quality watcher now of TV and Notice things that I never would have thought to notice in the past. Both to my benefit (been able to make it better) and detriment (just enjoy the show).
Old 08-28-2002, 04:25 PM

Well, I can tell you I had a similar problem with my 65HX81 on the focus issue. I contacted Toshiba and , after the first group was unsuccessful, a second man and his soon, got this focus issue done in 15 minutes. He hooked up a grid to the front panel and brought up a screen full of funnny looking S's and , while one looked on the other moved the grid every so slowly across the screen while making small adust ments to each of the 3 CRT. When they were done, it NEVER looked better. When I pulled up a 9 pt. convergenge the lones were perfectlly square with no blooming whatsoever. Over the past months it has drifted some but still very good. I wish I had such a grid to do my own mech. focus, because if this isnt right, with those tight lines and any absence of that hallo effect, NO convergenge can make it right if the picture has inproper geometry, so he explained. I have to say , it makes sense.. Good luck! These are great sets when at its best, but I have to say they are a bit touchy!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jason_56356
Prakash,

From the pics you posted, I see it says on the label Assembled in the U.S.
Does that mean that your tv was shipped all the way from Tennessee? That long of a trip is bound to throw off some factory adjustments.

Jason
So, if it wasn't built in the United States, it would be shipped from a closer location? Sorry, ya lost me on that one.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:46 PM

Well I have had my 65HDX82 for about 48 hours or so now, and here are some of my observations to follow up my first post.

First: The hiss from the speakers is the same at any volume level, and is there regardless of what is pluged into the TV. I have played with all of the audio options and there is nothing that will stop it short of turning off the speakers. I can hear it outside the door way to the room the TV is in (20' away), this is no subtle noise.

Second: With a bit a tweaking the gosting is minimized, but is still there. It is very noticable on text that is displayed on the screen. Watching anything animated is painfull, as most all of the lines have an outline to the right of them.

Third: The geomerty on the TV is really out of whack. Lots of straight lines are not very straight, I thought I was seeing things, but the grid on my sound and vision DVD does not lie.

Fourth: The blacks are not quite on, they are very very close, but exhibit what could be called a greenish tinge.

My conclusion to the matter? Return the TV and get a refund :mad: I would not reccomend this TV unless you see it in person first, if you can get one running at 100% problem free get it. If it were not for the defects I would keep this thing. The problems I have had are unacceptable on a TV with a SRP of $6000 Can. The picture is quite good, even with the defects its one of the better RPTV's that I have seen. The colors and brightness are top notch, the detail is good, but I beleave the ghosting is hindering its preformance. If anybody has any questions about this TV feel free to ask away, just do it before Saturday when the TV set will be picked up and returned.

Spork
Old 08-29-2002, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Oh boy!!! Where do I start??? I guess that the honey-moon period is over and now I'm just picking faults with this TV. It's not that easy for me to say I'll just return it because 1. if I exchange, I could get a set that is much worse and how many times do I return? 2. if I return it, which TV do I get? for the price, the only other TV that I will consider is the Hitachi 65SWX20B (nothing else, we don't have Mits in Canada) but I'm not 100% happy with that either. So, I think that I'll stick with this and try to fix the problems.

1. Hissing. Spork is right. The hissing doesn't get louder. It's also there on all inputs. Easiest way to spot it is in an input without any audio/video. However, my hiss is not loud. I can't hear it from where I watch the TV. I have to get really close. I know that it's not perfect and a good sound board should not have this problem. That being said, I'll try to get this fixed but I'm not going to dwell on this issue.

2. Ghosting....NO. Edge enhancement...YES. I think that both Tosh and Hits are very close in this area. If you drop the sharpness to 0, you will see light EE all around the + in the VE sharpness grid (with SVM turned off). Turning the sharpness higher, reduces this. You can get rid of the right side EE but there is always a slight EE to the left of the image. I noticed this exact same thing with the Hits that I evaluated at Future Shop. You have to be really picky to notice this. My wife thinks that I'm crazy. It's just that once you see it, you spend all your time looking for it instead of appreciating the movie/show. I think that you actually do more harm than good when you become a Perfectionist Tweaker (scary).

3. Blacks...really bothering me. It can hold blacks level nicely in the pluge signals but the blacks itself are not as deep as I would want them. I'm using the Denon 1600 with Deep Black turned on. I get blacks that are either too red or too green. I really need to do a greyscale calibration but it's not an option for the next 6 to 12 months due to finance and also the TV is not fully settled (burned in) yet. My buddy's 57HX81 is better at the deep blacks than mine.

4. Analog/Digital cable. I'm very very satisfied. Can't complain. It ranges from good to really good (for NTSC that is).

5. Focus and sharpness before introduction of too much noise....Very good. This is the area where I like it better than the Hitachi's because I noticed too much grain and noise for an image with the same amount of detail as compared to the Toshibas. Guys, before you bash me on this, test it yourself. Study a scene very well (good one is SuperBit - Fifth Element) and compare it between the Hits and the Tosh using the same DVD player if at all possible and let me know what you think. BUT...please be honest. No bias here.

6. Convergence Grip sharpness....I'm confused. Help me out here. If a lens is out of focus, shouldn't it be out of focus throughout the grid? Why only the right side? Green and Blue are fine but only the Red. Left and centre of the Red grid is fine....just the right corner. How does this work? How do you focus so that it's focussed everywhere equally? Wouldn't it always be more focussed on the left side? I'm really lost here. Yes, the HDX82s have the Red and Green filters like the Hitachi.

About the sets being assembled in the US, I don't think that any of the sets are assembled in Canada. They all have to be shipped from Toshiba USA.

John, you know I would have bought from you....if I lived in Toronto or had more cash on hand. FS had 24 month no interest equal payment financing and it's much easier to do exchanges/refunds if the store is local.

Spork, you really got robbed with your set. I think that a lemon was sent to you. For those of you who don't know, Spork didn't even receive a manual or remote with his TV. If I were you, I would be really disappointed too. Toshiba and Future Shop really messed up for you. Before you get a full refund, figure out if there is a different brand/model that you really like better. I'm sure that once you get that delivered, you will start noticing other problems. My advice to you is pick the lesser of the two evils. I really wish that we lived in that perfect world....but we don't.

CONCLUSION: I'm going to keep this set and get it fixed. I think that these issues are quite easily fixable and the end result would be amazing. What bugs me is that for a unit that is $6000 MSRP in Canada, they sure don't spend much time in Quality Control.

I'm going to call Toshiba tomorrow and see what they can do. If they fail at everything, then I too will get a refund and sit around moping in my PJs because there isn't a TV that I like within my budget without any problem!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

You guys have me real nervous. I have a the 65hdx82 being delievered to me sometime next week. But, with all of these problems I am not sure whether I should cancel it. To be honest I am a newbie when it comes to all of these adjustments. I have a 9 year old 52" RCA rptv. So even with the small problems you guys are having. I am wondering if I will even notice the problems.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:16 AM

I also have a new Toshiba 57hdx82 on its way and I share the same nervousness. What confuses me however is with the problems people are having why are not they calling toshiba service and getting them fixed. The sets are under warranty. Am I missing something?

Dave
Old 08-29-2002, 08:13 AM

Prakash,

Sorry to hear that the honey moon period is over. I have to say though that those look like minor problems which can and should be fixed. I too have some small problems with my 50H82 but I think they are minor and either warranty work or i can fix them.

As well, i think from reading a lot of other members stories, here and in other HT forums, it seems like no RPTV is perfect. There are always some flaws some small some large, but it seems to be the norm regardles of makes them. I think we hear more about Toshiba, Sony, Hitachi because those seem to be the most popular. We also tend to hear and read more about problems then good sets with no problems. And we also hear a lot more of criticism from the forum users in regards to their sets because most of us are critical viewers. There are also thousands of other people which buy these TVs and never post in these forums and they are problably happy with their sets.

You're stil right however, something this expensive should have much better quality control.

As for the problems themselves, the hissing seems to be this years "ghost" but problably worst as it looks like everyone has it, myself included. I didn't noticed it at first but it is definatly there and I can hear it from as far as 10 feet away if everything is dead quiet around the living room. This is something that should be easely fixed. I'll be contacting Toshiba to have this addressed.

The ghosting, i don't think it is the TV at fault anymore. This set needs a higher sharpness value then most other TVs (around 40 for my set), and it is greatly minimized once that value is set correctly. From your experience and that report on kehokis (sp) website it looks like a progressive player also gets rid of most of the problem as well. But you are right it is more like Edge Enhancement then a ghost then it is present. The only time I see ghosting is on a couple of really bad cable channels. The other "ghosts" or EE that I see on DVDs are (so far) Edge Enhancement. I know that by testing these DVDs with "problems" on my computer and looking for the particular flaw with a screen capture. DVDs like Braveheart for example have no EE flaws at all. Then DVDs like EP1 and Tombstone SE are just full of EE. The other problems also seem fixable.

I also think that these TVs do need some burn in time. I've had mine now for 2 weeks and things are looking better then they were the first few days. In this time i've also been looking for "flaws" harder then i have ever done with almost anything that i've owned. But i know what those flaws are now and a pretty good idea how to fix them. I'm thinking of doing a 56pt convergence this weekend, but I still have to read more about it. Any good links anyone? Especialy for this years or last years models?

Anyway I should get back to work... Good luck and keep us posted.

John
Old 08-29-2002, 08:25 AM

Except for the hissing. these are all normal issues that occur with typical RPTV's out of the box.

Think about it this way.

The prices on these units keep dropping each year.

The manufacturer's goal is to produce as many sets as quickly as possible at the lowest cost, while avoiding gross errors that will be noticeable to the majority of people. We "tweakers" are less than 1% of the buyers because we notice little details that most people never notice. These sets are not manufactured to our "tweaker" standards, but to the average customer's standards. (Except, perhaps, for Pioneer Elite units, which cost twice as much - which raises the next point below).

It takes lots of time to properly and carefully align these sets (most ISF techs spend at least four or more hours).

The manufacturers (exept for Pioneer Elites, which are twice as expensive) cannot afford to take the time to thoroughly align these sets at the factory.

Even if they did, those alignments could easily get messed up during shipping and will change anyway as the set burns in.

Some sets are better than others - it's random. For better sets, maybe the alignment person at the factory was more awake at that moment, or he was better at his job than the person on the next shift. Or, maybe the truckers who transported the better set were more "gentle" (if that word ever applies).

So, if you want to resolve these issues with certainty, either (1) pay for an ISF alignment, or (2) read everything you can and learn to do it yourself.

Les
Old 08-29-2002, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlovull1
I also have a new Toshiba 57hdx82 on its way and I share the same nervousness. What confuses me however is with the problems people are having why are not they calling toshiba service and getting them fixed. The sets are under warranty. Am I missing something?

Dave
Because these problems are not "Defects" Typically manufacturer's warranties only cover "defects in materials and workmanship" If the TV works well, and only problems are very small that only a "Tweaker" or prefectionist type would notice most likely the idiot tech would arive, say it works pefectly and then take off. Toshiba does not cover "ISF" type calibrations, they will, however, fix it if it breaks down. I would think toshiba would consider that set "within factory spec" even if it is on the lower side of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Les H

So, if you want to resolve these issues with certainty, either (1) pay for an ISF alignment, or (2) read everything you can and learn to do it yourself.

Les
You got it. Thats what the ISF is for. Or, you can, like me, learn to do it yourself and make freinds with others who share your interest in such things.

MIKE

-

Old 08-29-2002, 09:44 AM

I think just about anyone would complain if they could hear an audible hiss from the next room when the volume is at "1". Admittedly, Prakash doesn't appear to have that problem but other people do.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if it's considered factory spec or not? Depends on the attitude of the tech and how severe the problem is.

I know toshiba's have this problem. It's a known defect. How they handle it probably has to do with how severe the problem is.

I would hope and think they would cover a severe case.

-

Old 08-29-2002, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick

Because these problems are not "Defects" Typically manufacturer's warranties only cover "defects in materials and workmanship" If the TV works well, and only problems are very small that only a "Tweaker" or prefectionist type would notice most likely the idiot tech would arive, say it works pefectly and then take off. Toshiba does not cover "ISF" type calibrations, they will, however, fix it if it breaks down. I would think toshiba would consider that set "within factory spec" even if it is on the lower side of it.

You got it. Thats what the ISF is for. Or, you can, like me, learn to do it yourself and make freinds with others who share your interest in such things.

MIKE

I would think there is a grey area where a set comes in poorly calibrated by the factory or the shippers and not adjustable through the controls that one could put pressure on the manufacturers to adjust the set. There was a posting somewhere here or in spot that was done. If these settings are part of the manufacturing process they must have some responsibility. Why should one risk their warranty coverage by tweaking rather than requiring the service supplier to give it a first crack? I know they may not be good enough but unless they charge what do you lose.

I do agree that eventually you need to do it yourself as the settings change over time.
Dave
Old 08-29-2002, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

No point any more. My TV just died. The tech is coming tomorrow morning. Check my new thread. This really STINKS!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What?

Can you explain? In this thread to keep it together?

-

Old 08-29-2002, 01:46 PM

My 65HDX82 is still working at last peek :cool: but I wonder for how much longer. I know my set and Prakash's are close relatives (they are from the same warehouse batch). so there is a very good chance they also share some of the defective parts and lack of quality control. When I called the 1-800 for my warranty service plan the guy on the other end originally set up a service date with the local electronics repair place. He then called back 10 minutes latter and said he canceled the date with the repair shop and that I should get a replacement or a refund because a new TV set should not have these sort of problems :rolleyes: I do not want to get another Toshiba set now because I feel there is a very good chance that I will get another lemon. So that leaves me hooking my old 32" Toshiba set back up, talk about withdrawal, sort of like going from a T1 line to a 14.4 modem :D Now I wonder how much this thread and other like it have cost Toshiba in prospective sales.... I know if I had read them before getting my set I probably would not have made the plunge. So does anybody know when the new Pioneer non-elite set are coming out?

Spork
Old 08-29-2002, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
What?

Can you explain? In this thread to keep it together?
I just got back from FS and guess what??? They don't have any more in stock. No ETA either. I spent about 1 hour with the 51SWX20B and I think that I'm just going to get the 65SWX20B instead. The grain/noise level that I keep talking about seems to be improving on that set (saw it last week and then again today). I like the fact that you can do PIP while watching a 540p or 1080i signal. You can't do that with Toshiba. I also like the fact that the Hitachi will remember the Aspect ratio for each input. This is also very improtant for me because my daughter watches Tree House (kids channel in Canada) with a fixed logo on the bottom. I need to remember to change to TW2 everytime when I'm done or my daughter watches it with the logo for hours at a stretch.

I'm not putting the Toshiba's down now. I'm just a little disappointed and frustrated at this point...especially after waiting so long for the HDX82 set. Even the 65 Hits are not in stock so looks like I'll be without a TV for a week or 2.

What happened with the 65HDX82 was after the manual convergence, Touch Focus generated an error and messed up everything. It got messed up to a point where everytime I turned the TV on, I had to hit Touch Focus just to watch something. If not, RGB were all over the place (looked like a 3D image without glasses). Hitting Touch Focus fixed the problem but would always generate an error at the end. 5 min after watching the TV, I heard a pop and everything just died. Only the LED would work but no remote, no audio or video.

The technician is coming tomorrow to assess. He recommended that I replace and not waste my time. I'm going to do just that.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Toshiba Factory Service will come out and fix most of these problems under warranty. Out of focus portions of the screen and inability to set convergence properly are considered defects.

Get service out to make the proper adjustments to bring the televisions in to perfect spec. If for some reason the set cannot be adjusted, and service has replaced any boards or components that may have been the problem, Toshiba Customer Service will replace the set. They will insist on serveral service calls to correct the problem, but will ultimately take care of the customer if the set is unrepairable.

Good luck.

Mike K.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WOW-

Thats a crappy story to have to tell and live through...

Sounds like the convergence board or somthing shorted out and fried somthing out. Definitly would consider that a "defect" no matter what anyone says, and definitly should be covered under warranty.

Do you have the option of going back to the Toshiba if the Hitachi sudenly blows up or somthing is not up to expectations?

From what I have seen, The Hitachi is a great set. I think you'll be more than happy with it.

Hopefully this will work out well for you. Perhaps it was fate, and you were destined to end up with the Hitachi in the first place.

Either way, I look forward to helping you tweak it into shape. You'll love the Service menu level convergence once you learn it, cause it's easy, and everytime you press magic focus, it will revert back to you perfect custom settings without fail. It almost never drifts out of line after you take the time to do it perfect.

Good luck - MIKE

-

Old 08-30-2002, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. I think that it was destiny too. Now, I just hope that i get it before the 2 weeks that FS is estimating.

Thanks for willing to help. I would definitely need your help as I don't know anything about Hitachis. I have lived and breathed Toshibas all this time.

I'll keep all of you posted.

The Tosh technician is coming today. If he fixes it soon, then I'll have a TV to watch for the next 2 weeks. If not...well, I don't know.

If the Hitachi dies.....don't even go there Mike. My next TV will be perfect without any problems. I have faith!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, the technician spent about 1.5 hours working on my set. He said that couple of fuses were blown. He spent the time fixing it. He was a very well educated and knowledgeable man (Bruce from Colortron Service). When he was done, we turned on the TV and boom, the fuses blew again. After spending over an hour fixing and then having them blow up again, he said that he was sorry but had to take the set into the shop.

I used this chance to give the list of complaints to him. He said that he will try to fix them all to his ability. He doesn't have a color analyzer so greyscale is out of the question.

He now has to schedule a delivery company to come and pick up my set. Since this is Labour day long weekend, the set won't be picked up until Tue or Wed next week. Who knows how long it will be before it's in my house.

I hope that I get this back before the new Hits and Tosh are available. This way, I can compare this one (fixed) against those and decide if I want to keep the 65HDX82 or get a 65SWX20B.

I'll let you guys know in about a weeks time.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WOW- Take the set out of your home?

What about in home service plans?

I think you'll really love the Hitachi. They do so many things really, really well.

If you do get one.. I would love to help you get the most out of it.

With Avia, I can pretty much help you do everything but grey scale.

Convergence, Geometry, Overscan, Center the screen, picture settings and user menu settings all really easy....

No red , green, or blue push on the new models with a great color decoder. Some people thing the Hitachi looks oversaturated with color, but I like the picture to jump of and say "look at me" and usually goes away with a D6500K grey scale job.

Having the set leave your home really sucks....

I would have just returned it at that point.

Best of luck- Keep us posted MIKE

-