Samsung HLS5065WX/XAA Audio crackles, pops and shuts off after 20 minutes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung HLS5065WX/XAA Audio crackles, pops and shuts off after 20 minutes

I have a Samsung HLS5065WX/XAA Rear Projection DLP TV.
It powers up just fine and operates with a great picture and audio.
After about 20 minutes, the audio starts cracking and popping and within 10 to 20 seconds the audio output is shutoff.
This apparently happens as the temperature rises as additional cooling does prevent this from happening.
First, I opened the back and operated the TV with a fan blowing room temperature air into and onto the main board. This has allowed the TV to work for more than three hours.
I then used a can of dustoff, and I believe I have narrowed down the location on the main board, but am not sure and don't know how to cool individual components to verify which chip is at fault.
Since, i have used a cooling fan from a computer power supply to provide more cooling to the Engine fan and this works for 3 or more hours. Again, as soon I remove the 12v power from this fan, the audio starts to crackle and pop and shuts off.
The only way to get the audio back on is to shut the TV off and wait for it to shut down, then it all starts up normally again.
It may be coming from the X240H VSB Tuner or the DTV X240H or the DAC PCM1754. I am not sure which one or how to troubleshoot it beyond what I have already done.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Bump...
post #3 of 3 Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

An update

It appears that the STV8258DSX Digital Audio Processor is the culprit. I put it all together and added an external 4" fan and the Audio lasted 5 or 6 hours before it started to crackle and pop and finally shut itself off. By "shut itself off" I mean that the STV8258DSX appears to have a protection circuit built in and the STV8258DSX shuts down to protect itself. After the TV has been shut off and completes it cool down, the STV8258DSX is reset and it works again.
The part is hard to find but I found one and will order it in the next few days. I'll let you know what happens when I change the IC.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page