brand new 57hdx82 dead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2002, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
csd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help! I'm freaking out here. Got the new tv on Monday. It worked great. Looked great. I couldn't have been happier. While I was at work my roommate called me and said the tv just went black. The tv had only been on for 15 minutes. Now I am home and it is still black. You can turn the power on and off and the red light on front goes on and off. When you turn it on you get no audio or video. None of the buttons on the remote do anything. None of the buttons on the front panel do anything. All I can do is press power on the remote or the tv and it turns off and on. I can get no menu or inputs or anything. I've read about the toshiba's that the power light flashes and they can't turn it off but this doesn't seem to be me. If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. Right now it is unplugged form the wall and i'll plug it back in and try again in a few minutes. Please help (or at least comfort :) ) Thanks.

charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-28-2002, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, this will be no comfort to you, but I had a similar problem on my RCA set last year. In fact, it sounds like exactly the same symptoms, and I had a blown convergence board. Hopefully yours is something less serious, but damn, that's pretty rough. So far, that's two people that have posted on this board that have had trouble with the new model Toshiba sets. I've only seen one positive review (and even Prakash had some quibbles with his set).......

good luck
Tim
post #3 of 8 Old 08-28-2002, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
csd

I think the set itself is great. There's no hiss, there's no ghosts, the picture looks great. Overall it's awesome. Of course, now, it doesn't work. Do stores usually let you return tvs that are two days old if it breaks? ugh.

charlie
post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2002, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally posted by csd
Now, it doesn't work. Do stores usually let you return tvs that are two days old if it breaks? ugh.
YES!

Why people don't insist on buying it from a local store that will swap it blows my mind!!!

30 day return policy, with no re-stocking fee for returns or exchanges is a MUST!!!!

In some cases it's worth the extra money to buy it from a good authorized dealer who will support you down the road. And, since most places price match each other, it not even an issue of $$

The dumbest and stupidest mistake a person can do when purchaseing a projection tv is not to buy it from a good dealer, and get stuck with a lemon and not be able to return or exchange it untill satisfied.

Sears, Circuit City, and most other large name electronics retialers will allow returns and exchanges without restocking fees. Both Sears and CC also service what they sell , and have a support service center for future problems down the road.

Best buy does not have an official return policy or re-stocking fee either, (although I have heard contradictory things) and I think they will alow you to return and exchange most sets except Mitsubishi, which has a restocking fee or some extra return limit places on those models.

Buying it online, or out the back of a van, or an unauthorized dealer, or Uncle Joe's TV store, is not a good idea in my opinion.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2002, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
csd

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick

Buying it online, or out the back of a van, or an unauthorized dealer, or Uncle Joe's TV store, is not a good idea in my opinion.
Well then it's a good thing I bought it from an authorized dealer right down the street. I really had no choice about which authorized dealer to buy it from, though, cause there are only two and the other wasn't getting the tv until the middle of sep.

charlie
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2002, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Will they let you return it?

It seems like more than a few to have it be coincidence are having problems with these.

They suddenly just die? Very strange.

Lets hope Toshiba gets this fixed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2002, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
csd

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. I called the store today and the rep called me back an hour later to setup a delivery time for a replacement. It's coming in the morning. Speedy service. We shall see if this one works ok.

charlie
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2002, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 57H82 (See story in other thread.) died one day later. Replacement died 10 days later. It was purchased from Sears. They took the first one back and are picking up the second one Tuesday.

I gave up on Toshiba - bought a Hitachi from Circuit City. Hope this one lasts longer!

Joel
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page