Mitsubishi 82 Inch DLP -WTF?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mitsubishi 82 Inch DLP -WTF??

I know there are other threads on this topic, but I seem to have a slightly different problem than I've read.

My Mitsubishi DLP WD-82840 was purchased new in July 2012 and has 4,000 hours on the Lamp.

I am starting to see a "localized" flicker in the top left portion of the screen, probably 24 inch by 24 inch. The rest of the picture is bright and no problem, but the flicker is noticeable when the screen is super bright (white) and flips between bright and slightly dim very quickly in just that area.

Is this a color wheel issue? A bulb issue? I do have a genuine replacement bulb from Mitsubishi, but I figured it couldn't be a bulb if it's just localized to one area. As a sidenote, I intermittently (only happened about 3 times) get a fast blinking green light when I try to turn the TV on. I get no picture. I wait 5 minutes, and turn it on again and it works no problem. This happens when the TV hasn't been on all day.

Anyone seen this before? I attached a video (Not my TV but exactly what it's doing, just on the right side.

Last edited by TransAmLS1; 09-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Try changing the lamp to Bright mode, press Menu -> Setup -> Energy.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #3 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
That looks like the color wheel. Saw another video on youtube of this on a 82-838. You might have dust build up on the wheel or light engine in general. Now that I think about this my 73640 was doing this around xmas 2013. I took the side port off and vacuum the inside by the light engine and optics (very carefully mind you) and vacuumed the rear panel area with the lamp out. Haven't had it happen yet and that was with a new bulb with less than 400 hours. You have 4000 hours on the bulb, you can try it just make sure that's not it but I think its your light Engine/wheel.

Cool Beans.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
That looks like the color wheel. Saw another video on youtube of this on a 82-838. You might have dust build up on the wheel or light engine in general. Now that I think about this my 73640 was doing this around xmas 2013. I took the side port off and vacuum the inside by the light engine and optics (very carefully mind you) and vacuumed the rear panel area with the lamp out. Haven't had it happen yet and that was with a new bulb with less than 400 hours. You have 4000 hours on the bulb, you can try it just make sure that's not it but I think its your light Engine/wheel.
Thanks for the input and suggestion. Could you be more specific on how to vacuum the area? I don't need to take anything apart except remove the lamp assembly? I'm just. Not even sure where the light engine and wheel are located.

Would these parts just need a cleaning and not need replacement? How much would a new color wheel and light engine cost?

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmLS1 View Post
Thanks for the input and suggestion. Could you be more specific on how to vacuum the area? I don't need to take anything apart except remove the lamp assembly? I'm just. Not even sure where the light engine and wheel are located.

Would these parts just need a cleaning and not need replacement? How much would a new color wheel and light engine cost?

Thanks!

Oh ****. I just caught mine doing this just now, same upper right hand corner. I am going to take the side port off, and using the soft bristle head of the vacuum, clean around the whole light engine and go lightly over the lens. I did notice after this summer a couple of fly's make it in the TV air vent in the back. (scared the crap out of me) I would say its gotta be dust/dirt/flys. I can't imagine after only 3 years the Light Engine up and dying.

Cool Beans.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page