Color shift in 61" DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Color shift in 61" DLP

I have a Samsung 61" DLP tv that is about 4 years old. The other day I noticed the colors where doing something weird so I paused the channel I was on, tried a different source and opened the TV's menu and it was still doing it so I know it's something in the TV. What it's doing is the colors look like they're doing a hue shift back and forth and consistant intervals(changing about every second). I notice it the most in the light colors and in blues. The blue's go from the normal blue shade to a darker blue. The whites go from a yellowish tint to more of a blueish tint. It did this for a few hours then the next day it was fine. It started doing it again yesterday and hasn't stopped yet?

Anybody have any ideas of what could cause this? Since I've had the TV I have replaced the bulb and balast(year ago), DMD chip(4 months ago), and power supply board( 2 years ago).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a video of what the TV is doing but this forum wont let me post it until I have at least 5 post's so I'll see if I can get it posted later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52991328/TV.mp4

Last edited by Mike Lang; 11-28-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I have noticed in the past few days that it also takes a lot longer to power up. Sometimes it will power up and I'll get a picture and sound for just a sec then it will shut off and start the power up sequence again.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I looked through my service manual and couldn't find anything in the trouble shooting section about this kind of behavior. If I had to guess, it sounds like the lamp might be having trouble maintaining ignition, causing the color fluctuations as the ballast tries to maintain the arc. If you replaced the lamp with a generic one, I think that's likely the issue and would consider replacing it with an original (I assume Philips) lamp.
post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Grunt View Post
I looked through my service manual and couldn't find anything in the trouble shooting section about this kind of behavior. If I had to guess, it sounds like the lamp might be having trouble maintaining ignition, causing the color fluctuations as the ballast tries to maintain the arc. If you replaced the lamp with a generic one, I think that's likely the issue and would consider replacing it with an original (I assume Philips) lamp.
That sounds like a problem with the color wheel. The color wheel speed is a constant, and the color shift interval that you describe is what lends the evidence that it may the problem.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page