Good HD tuner to get for the Hit 51SWX20B? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I wont be able to get ANY kind of High Def programming without a tuner, correct? Even OTA or DTV?

Could somoene help out here?

chef423

MTFBWY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

You are correct. You must have a tuner. There is a new Zenith tuner that will be released momentarily (model 520 I believe) that will handle OTA HDTV and satellite HD. It will also allow you to seamlessly integrate the the two so you do not have to change inputs. In addition it has a DVI output to match to the DVI input of your Hitatchi
post #3 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Heytow
You are correct. You must have a tuner. There is a new Zenith tuner that will be released momentarily (model 520 I believe) that will handle OTA HDTV and satellite HD. It will also allow you to seamlessly integrate the the two so you do not have to change inputs. In addition it has a DVI output to match to the DVI input of your Hitatchi

This one?

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...asp%3Fcat%3D42

chef423

MTFBWY!
post #4 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Umm for $800??? They are smoking much crack...

I just bought a fricken HDTV for 2300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a HUGE rip off. People actaully buy this "tuner" for that amount? Stupid, stupid poeple.

chef423

MTFBWY!
post #5 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check out the DTC-100. You can find it for ~$250.00 open box. You will need a breakout cable or transcoder. Mfusick, what do you recommend for the Hitachi?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #6 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Chef423,

Boy, I sure hope the street price comes in below that! Only time will tell.

You could exchange for an xwx series with a build in tuner. That's about a thousand more and doesn't give you satellite. But it does have firewire and a better AR screen.

Or, if you have cable, you can get the HD cable box from your provider. If you're just looking for OTA you can buy one of the older units like the dtc100. Depending on your location it might do the job.

One question though, did the salesman tell you you could get an HDTV signal with that set. That part is usually made quite clear so I am surprised at your surprise.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I knew it didnt, but $800 for a damn tuner??!!

I dont see why the xwx is so much better(I cant have a 57" in my house, if there was a 51", I might consider it), doesnt it just have a tuner and thats all? You said something about a better AR screen? AR? Anti-Reflective? So firewire, better screen, and a tuner all for 1k more? Is the firewire that much more important?? What would that be good for in the future?

Thanks for helping,
chef423

MTFBWY!
post #8 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Check out the DTC-100. You can find it for ~$250.00 open box. You will need a breakout cable or transcoder. Mfusick, what do you recommend for the Hitachi?
Not the DTC-100.

It's a pig- Plain and simple.

Hard to use, no component outs, bad remote and bad menus.

Also, the DTC-100 won't do proper black levels. It won't do "BLACKER THAN BLACK" black levels. Meaning it does not know the diffrence from 7 IRE to 0 IRE. It's a pain to calibrate for such offsets I've heard.

I would reccomend a set top box with DVI output for connection to your DVI input.

The Sony SAT-HD200 seesm to work well. It has components, DVI, and VGA. If it only had 1394 out for a D-VHS deck it would be perfect.

I have the Huges HIRD-E86 platinum HDTV box, it sucks big time and I don't reccomend it. I would sell it if I could and upgrade.:(

Get a box with a "native" display option and get a box that does 720P and 1080i yet leaves 480i as 480i for stretch and upconversion via the RPTV instead of the box.

Hitachi has a better line double than any HDTV box I know of...

It's a major pain in the ass for me to have to switch from S video to Component Video everytime I switch from HDTV channel like HBO to a standard def channel.

The Zenith looks good. I'll get a display in soon to play with. The Samsung boxes are on thier way too... Got a chance to hook up a D-VHS deck to the XWX today....via 1394- one word AMAZING!

I'll let you know more about the new HDTV boxes when I do...

PS- If you can find one of the old panasonic Boxes that do 720P, 1080i, 480P, 480i and native.... they are great if you get a good deal used. I like them best still even that they are two years old

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I still dont understand the firewire connection? Why firewire? (besides speed) Its good for HD input?

chef423

MTFBWY!
post #10 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a digital recording thing.

You can record HDTV via Firewire or IEEE1394 connection.

The Hitachi XWX has a two way 1394 in/outputs to record HDTV from the tuner in the set with a D-VHS Deck.

Mits likes 1394 too....

DVI is the superior way to watch HDTV based solely on picture quality alone. It's also the safest bet considering the Copy protection issues.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :)

So, will the Zenith receiver you will be getting in be cheaper than $800?? :confused: :confused:

Seems a bit much.

Will this Zenith be uasble an up=to=date in a few years, I know the tech chenges fast, but I have read things abou the HD industry that baffel me. Saying they are going to chenge things that would make all current HD owner in-comapatible in 2005-6.

Thanks,
Chef423

MTFBWY!
post #12 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Chef423

The Zenith is a new generation of STB's. We are all hoping they have learned from the many problems encountered in their first generation and I might add that many of the boxes from that generation suffered from similar problems. I know one of those issues was multipath. With very strong signals the multipath distortion will actually knock out the OTA signal. The older boxes were unable to discriminate. So even with strong signals you might not get an OTA signal. We will watch in this and other forums what happens as the new ones are released.

Zenith will also release an OTA only box for substantially less and so will Samsung (i may even be out now) You still have to ask yourself what will you be using - cable only (then you don't need no stinkin' box) The cable company will provide one or maybe you will opt for OTA only. The less expensive zenith or samsung or others may be adequate. You might want satellite, in which case you will need their STB (not free). If you want satellite, I'd buy the zenith because that will give you OTA also so you don't have to pay for the local channels to the satellite co.

The zenith I mentioned will cover satellite and OTA. There is no (I know someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong) box that will cover the cable because there are a variety of different methods used right now.

I also hold the view is that if the technology for OTA keeps getting better, I don't want to spend the money for a built in if I can avoid it.

Personally I think you made the best choice and got the best value.

I understand the XWX is out for you due to the 57 being too big. I can't shoehorn anything larger than a 51 myself. As to tuner, firewire and the dual coated AR screen; if they had a 51, I don't think I'd personally spend the money. However, I wouldn't fault anyone that did and could make a good case for that set.

Sure can be confusing, huh?
post #13 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Heytow
Chef423

Sure can be confusing, huh?

(thanks for the reply)

Yes, it can, but I dont know some things, but like anything in the tech world, there is always more to learn!!

Thanks!

chef423

MTFBWY!
post #14 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 10:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
DVI is the superior way to watch HDTV based solely on picture quality alone.
How so? All of the HDTV now broadcast is currently and in the near future delivered compressed.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #15 of 23 Old 10-13-2002, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
How so? All of the HDTV now broadcast is currently and in the near future delivered compressed.

Why does that matter??? :confused:

chef423

MTFBWY!
post #16 of 23 Old 10-14-2002, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by chef423
Why does that matter??? :confused:

chef423
Because the statement made by Mfusick is incorrect. He is misleading people.

Kipp
post #17 of 23 Old 10-14-2002, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DVI requires no MPEG decoder in the TV and is a pure uncompressed digital signal. It is supported by all companies accept Mits.

1394 is a compressesed digital signal and requires and MPEG decoder in the set. You are limited to the quality of the MPEG decoder in the set.

From what I have read, (all personal opinions aside) based soley on picture quality DVI is a good method. If your set has that, I would reccomend getting an HDTV box with that hook up.

Kipp- I know you know a little bit more than me about this copy protection stuff, so this is your chance to enlighten me. Is 1394 better picture quality than DVI? From what I had read it was not. I admit I know less about these issues than most other things, I make a point not to care about them as I have no interests in them.

-

post #18 of 23 Old 10-14-2002, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chef423
Thanks for the reply :)

So, will the Zenith receiver you will be getting in be cheaper than $800?? :confused: :confused:

Seems a bit much.

Chef423
Zenith HDTV recievers:

The HDSAT520 DirecTV HD/advanced HDTV receiver incorporates fourth-generation 8VSB reception technology, and has a suggested price of $799. A new ATSC-only digital HDTV receiver, model HDV420, carries a suggested price of $399.

-

post #19 of 23 Old 10-14-2002, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Zenith HDTV recievers:

The HDSAT520 DirecTV HD/advanced HDTV receiver incorporates fourth-generation 8VSB reception technology, and has a suggested price of $799. A new ATSC-only digital HDTV receiver, model HDV420, carries a suggested price of $399.

Will the DVI out on the HDSAT520, when connected to the DVI in on my Hitswx20b, be able to display all types of signals? Like the DirectTV, and OTA, even if they arent HD braodcasts? I dont want to use up an extra component input unless I have too.

Thanks,
chef423

MTFBWY!
post #20 of 23 Old 10-15-2002, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
It's a major pain in the ass for me to have to switch from S video to Component Video everytime I switch from HDTV channel like HBO to a standard def channel.
With the Samsung SIR-TS160, ALL channels, DirecTV SD, HDTV, OTA DTV , HDTV and analog, all play through the DVI input, and all are listed in one channel list (guide.) No switching of input sources is necessary. The HDTV signal always play full screen in 16x9. The SD signal can play in 4x3 or stretched. You choose the format once and forget it. For example, you can be watching an HDTV channel in 16x9 widescreen, and when you select a SD channel, the aspect automatically switches to 4x3.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-15-2002, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes...

This is what I need! My E-86 does not do any of that. Too bad I don't have DVI in on my set...

-

post #22 of 23 Old 10-15-2002, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You don't have to have DVI. It works the same for component input.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

The zenith will do the same thing.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page