Mitsubishi Red Push - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there is some sort of service menu fix for red push on the ws-65909, or am I going to need to get an attenuator? In the case of needing an attenuator does anyone know where I could find instructions on how to put one together? Thanks.

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

No service menu or I2C fix for the 909. You must use attenuator. The instruction are over at the ***************, but you have to pay for access now :(. You can build a 3dB 75 OHm attenuator with parts from radio shack, but it is alot easier to just order one from an electronics parts store. 3dB pads are easy to find, although you may need some BNC to RCA adaptors (can be found at radio shack).

Try http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...aseItem=B-75TM
post #3 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 11:47 AM

Of course you can dial in the color decoder on these sets to perfection! Any of the xx9 series with integrated tuner uses the same method...

Press Menu-0157 to enter the service menu.
Press Video repeatedly to scroll through each service menu item. write everything down. don't press buttons if you don't know what they do. Use the up and down arrow keys to change values.
Change R-YR to 12
Change R-YB to 14
Change G-YR to 8
Change G-YB to 6

Press enter to save your changes and then menu or home to exit the service menu. You can press cancel at anytime to get out of the service menu without saving, but if you press enter, home or menu - that means save.

You'll have to set this for each video mode 480i, 480p, 1080i. Do this by displaying the format you wish to change (say 480p) and following the procedure above. Do not attempt to switch inputs or press number keys while in the service menu 0157.
post #4 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks spidey, I'll have to try this out when I get home.

Stan
post #5 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Hey spidey..

You around here now?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 12:50 PM

:)
Yeah. I've seen a lot of mitsubishi posts and wanted to lend a hand where I can.

Hope all goes well with your amp search. I just rounded out my martin logan HT by adding the surrounds and rears.

I need a little more juice as well. 1 ohm speaker's will grab power like its going out of style.
post #7 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1 ohm....LOL

Too funny.

I have my heart set on the Earthquake Cinenova Grande I think. Unless somthing else comes up at less than 2K$ and capable of 1000 watts a channel times 5 channels with 0.005% THD.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 07:47 PM

spidey07:
Do you know if these settings apply to new WS 48311?
Thanks
post #9 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think they are still trying to crack that one...the brain trust is working on an I2C fix for the 311's and 411's.

Hopefully the one's "in the know" will be able to figure out an I2C method.

I never understood Mit's when it comes to this....:rolleyes:

-

post #10 of 51 Old 10-14-2002, 09:24 PM

The fix for the x11 sets is coming soon.
post #11 of 51 Old 10-15-2002, 05:07 AM

How about the 511 series as well if it differs from the others. I'm getting a 55511 on sat and got the RS VU120 Ant. in the attic and it was getting great reception on channels 7-62 on my little analog Panny 13" in the bedroom 2 and 4 had just a tiny bit of static, but with the digi channels being higher up and seeing that I'm getting great reception from those higher I can't wait to see some non-compressed digi shows!! :)
What is the first thing I should do to the 511?? Trun down brightness, SVM off, contrast down, but what else?? I know you can individually adjust red push on some inputs, but is this in the service menu or reg. menu? I'll wait a week or two to get AVIA.
SC
post #12 of 51 Old 10-15-2002, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

I dialed in the numbers last night and it looks great! Thanks again spidey.
post #13 of 51 Old 10-15-2002, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On the 65511 I got to play with, it is the same method as described above but menu,2,1,5,7 to get in the service menu. I also needed to alter green because of a green pull problem. G-YR 15 and G-YB 11. Turn contrast way down on the 511 mid point of all the way down and center....brightness will need to be raised from the center. You can turn on and off SVM Sharpness they call it , by pushing the video button (not in the service menu) then using the left and right arrows to turn on and off. Get Avia now. No sense in waiting. Practice with your 13" panny.
post #14 of 51 Old 10-16-2002, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spidey07
Of course you can dial in the color decoder on these sets to perfection! Any of the xx9 series with integrated tuner uses the same method...

Press Video repeatedly to scroll through each service menu item. write everything down. don't press buttons if you don't know what they do. Use the up and down arrow keys to change values.
Change R-YR to 12
Change R-YB to 14
Change G-YR to 8
Change G-YB to 6

Press enter to save your changes and then menu or home to exit the service menu. You can press cancel at anytime to get out of the service menu without saving, but if you press enter, home or menu - that means save.

You'll have to set this for each video mode 480i, 480p, 1080i. Do this by displaying the format you wish to change (say 480p) and following the procedure above. Do not attempt to switch inputs or press number keys while in the service menu 0157.
Good info, but for some reason I remember this procedure only working for 480i and it having no affect on 480p and 1080i. Am I going insane, or did Mits have brief change of heart that I missed out on? Someone please enlighten me.
post #15 of 51 Old 10-16-2002, 08:38 PM

Liked: 11
>>>> Good info, but for some reason I remember this procedure only working for 480i and it having no affect on 480p and 1080i. Am I going insane, or did Mits have brief change of heart that I missed out on? Someone please enlighten me. <<<<

I THINK that I recall that the service menu procedure outlined in the referenced post works for ALL inputs, as long as you have one of the integrated sets. This must be done individually for each input, meaning you should first select the desired input, and then access the service menu. Then, make any change, and exit the service menu completely. Repeat the entire procedure for each input.

What you may be thinking of is the fact that on some of the new model sets (the 2003s, just released), you can actually adjust the color decoders from the regular user menus, using a different procedure (slider controls). It is THIS adjustment that can only be done for the 480i signals, and no adjustment is provided for the 480p or 1080i signals, as I recall.

So, to sum up...

2001 and 2002s: If it is integrated, color decoders can be accessed in service menus.
If it is not, the I2C remedy is the only global solution... (attenuators can be used for components, of course).

the new 2003s: On some models, the regular user menu can access color decoders, but it only works for 480i. For the others, attenuators would work. Or, perhaps soon, an I2C fix will work.
For other 2003s: Attenuators and / or the I2C fix are the only options.

If I am wrong on any of the above, chime in, please. This was my understanding, based on my readings at several forums.

-Bruce in Chi-Town
post #16 of 51 Old 10-17-2002, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

For the 2003 models that are integrated, the color decoder is accesible for all scan rates, but in the service menu.

xx511,xx611,xx711,65712.
post #17 of 51 Old 10-17-2002, 06:34 AM

Sweet, so I can take care of the red push in the service menu on my new 55511 with the steps taken above. Will it allow you to view the AVIA disc at the same time to get the colors corect?? How do you save per input??
I can't wait to set this thing up in a few weeks after it settles down. Any advice on what to change first thing sat when it arrives (contrast, brightness, tint, svm)? I just can't wait to see the HD OTA that I'll get!!
SC
post #18 of 51 Old 10-17-2002, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the info Bachelor!!!

Are there any recommended values for the color decoder?
post #19 of 51 Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I have a 65WS411 (no tuner) and get some funny reds when watching TV (sdtv...480i). I guessed this was the infamous "red push" issue everyone keeps talking about but haven't had time to deal with it until now. My 480p with DVDs doesn't seem to have this issue. So unless I'm mistaken, the fix described above and as follows:

Quote:
Change R-YR to 12
Change R-YB to 14
Change G-YR to 8
Change G-YB to 6

... will work for me, with the one minor change that Bachellor noted, since I have a 2003 set: Use menu,2,1,5,7 to get in the service menu instead of the initial method.

As I understand it, this change only affects 480i inputs, which is good, since my 480p doesn't seem to exhibit this issue.

Umm... right?

Fix or no fix, I'm DAMN happy... :D

(Not the best pic ever, and I'm hardly done, but here's a start: http://www.kalanitech.com/BigScreen.JPG warning: it's 445k and not on a fast line)

-Kalani
post #20 of 51 Old 10-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

yes avia will continue to display while in the service menu. Don't change inputs while in the service menu. Push menu to exit. While in the service menu your user settings do not transfer. Make changes in the service menu, then exit out to see the effect. Write down original values before changing.

You will need change the color decoder settings 3 times. display each scan rate then enter in service menu. exit out before changing scan rates.
480i (cable, directv,dish, vcr, laserdisc) 480p (dvd progressive), and 1080i (internal OTA HD decoder)
post #21 of 51 Old 10-18-2002, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalani
So I have a 65WS411 (no tuner) and get some funny reds when watching TV (sdtv...480i). I guessed this was the infamous "red push" issue everyone keeps talking about but haven't had time to deal with it until now.
I thought it was not out for the 411 and the 311.

Only 511 and up...

-

post #22 of 51 Old 10-18-2002, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap. Can anyone confirm this? Or should I just try it out and see what happens? I don't want to risk messing up the set, after all...
post #23 of 51 Old 10-19-2002, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The XX311 and XX411 do not have color decoder parameters in the service menus. The color decoder will be correctable with an i2c interface but the addresses and values are different than from the older sets so you can't follow that method (or use the Kwik Fix software).

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
post #24 of 51 Old 10-19-2002, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

So my options are...?
post #25 of 51 Old 10-20-2002, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It is probably best to let a calibrator who is experienced with the i2c interface to fix it for you. If you are interested in building/buying the interface yourself, see the "i2c-interface" Yahoo Group. That will provide the hardware instructions and point you to the software you will need (PonyProg, not Kwik Fix). The information on how to do the fix for the XXX11 models will likely be available before too long.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
post #26 of 51 Old 10-20-2002, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually if your only worried about 480i right now, you can use the "Color Balance" adjustments in the user menus to turn down red. You really should use Avia and the color bars with filters to try to adjust those controls appropriately, but you might be able to improve things by eye.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
post #27 of 51 Old 10-22-2002, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
On the 65511 I got to play with, it is the same method as described above but menu,2,1,5,7 to get in the service menu. I also needed to alter green because of a green pull problem. G-YR 15 and G-YB 11. Turn contrast way down on the 511 mid point of all the way down and center....brightness will need to be raised from the center. You can turn on and off SVM Sharpness they call it , by pushing the video button (not in the service menu) then using the left and right arrows to turn on and off. Get Avia now. No sense in waiting. Practice with your 13" panny.
I posted this question in another thread but I think it belongs here more: Can anyone tell me if these adjustments are available for the "Best Buy" version of the 55511 (WS-B55). I know, I know, I know....before anyone yells at me I HAD to go with the BB version and sacrifice some tweakability for technology, and most important the $$$$ factor, to get the Firewire, NetCommand, and Mits PQ (and BB threw in an E86 STB for free (long story).

The BB model is the same as the 55511, but Mits removed the color-tuned shield, the VSM circuit is not switchable, the auto color function is not available, and the advanced color adjustment is not available.

Does this mean that I cannot enter the service menu and make the adjustments above? If not, any recommendations to get a better PQ? And finally, with the VSM not able to be switched, does that mean it is set at default 2, or is it at 0 (and not there at all)? Is there any way I can tell?
post #28 of 51 Old 10-22-2002, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have any hands on with the best buy models. If SVM is not in the user menu, I'm pretty sure it is set at 2. Put in a THX optimode DVD, such as Cast away, Episode I, Moulin Rouge, Terminator 2, etc... usually found in the set up menu. If you go to the test pattern of the large TIC TAC TOE board with the color windows in the middle and sharpness frequency, enter the service menu, menu,2,1,5,7 and push video unitl vm 2 (I believe item 56) click down to 0, push enter to save, then menu to exit out. Going from 0-2 you should see the size of these lines change.

The only way to tell if the color decoder is in this model is to enter the service menu and push video to scroll through the items and look for yourself. They'll be towards the end. (items 62-66 or something like that) Push Cancel to exit out, without any changes.

Let us know what you do.
post #29 of 51 Old 10-22-2002, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
Put in a THX optimode DVD, such as Cast away, Episode I, Moulin Rouge, Terminator 2, etc... usually found in the set up menu. If you go to the test pattern of the large TIC TAC TOE board with the color windows in the middle and sharpness frequency, enter ..........

Let us know what you do.
I am a little confused about the test pattern of the TIC TAC TOE board that you are referring to....what is it? I have the Cast Away DVD. Are you saying that the test pattern lines of the TIC TAC TOE are in the Set-up menu of the movie. And what about the color windows?? I understand what you are saying about entering the Mits service menu and changing the SVM, I just don't know what I am comparing the before and after result to (size of what lines).

Also, Does it matter if I have my DVD connected with S-video, or do I need component o/p to make a difference? I would think it would work with either, correct?

I am getting the Panny RP-82, but my current Sony doesn't have component o/p to connect with (it was one of the first models out).
post #30 of 51 Old 10-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

go to language selection, then under captions on the right sight you see a THX logo, click that, then video tests. The one I was referring is the Monitor evaluation one, It has a cross hatch pattern (TIC TAC TOE) to see your convergence and geometry. Also in this pattern has the color windows and grayscale IRE windows. Thinking about it , that's not the best pattern to see SVM using the Optimode. After you're done with the patterns it shows a 15 second clip of castaway, for the overall tone of the movie. If you go to that exact chapter and then pause it, enter the service menu and change SVM 0-2 and you'll see the outlining that SVM does....
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page