Fixing Geometry - A Picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2002, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please find attached a picture showing my hitachi 57swx20b all prepped to have geometry fixed.

I used masking tape, thread, and a tape measure to put together a "JIG" by which to align the convergence grid.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2002, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
I did that with my set when I adjusted and perfected my Geometry.

Used the tape, put measurements on it.

I didn't use strings though.

I shot a red laser across the screen from measurement to measurement and took it one line at a time.

It worked great.

You look like your becomeing the consummate tweaker... Good job

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...achmentid=4030

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 10-15-2002, 04:39 AM

How do you get into the geometry menu? I am a novice but know enough not to do anything that can't be undone. I have a 65SWX20B (may be returning it for an X if Sears ever gets them in) and the picture would be perfect if I could make a few small adjustments to the geometry and a little bit to the edge focus.

What's the point of building a giant robot if you can't blow stuff up with it?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

You adjust the geometry in the service-level (DCAM) convergence grid.

You should see a lot of posts on doing service-level convergence.. basically just go into magic focus - automatic... hit magic focus (on TV) while the magic focus is running... then "STOP" displays.. hit "INFO" button on remote control.

Read up more on it so nothing gets messed up... then, when in that menu, you change the green grid first... that "sets your geometry".. then converge to the green.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Qooop
How do you get into the geometry menu? I am a novice but know enough not to do anything that can't be undone. I have a 65SWX20B (may be returning it for an X if Sears ever gets them in) and the picture would be perfect if I could make a few small adjustments to the geometry and a little bit to the edge focus.

Manual Convergence for the Hitachi
1) Receive an NTSC signal.

2) Press Magic Focus to begin magic focus

3) Press magic focus again during the magic focus process to get the ‘stop’ screen

4) While stop screen is up, press "STATUS" or "INFO"on the remote control (R/C) to bring you to DCAM mode and the service grid (64 point grid)

5) When you first get in here… I believe red is the selected color by default (it is flashing).

6) To choose other colors to converge, use the following buttons on the R/C:
a) “STATUS†- Green
b) “0†- Red
c) “ANT†– Blue

7) Start from the center of the screen and work your way out on one color at a time. I adjusted red across the whole screen to match green. Then I switched to blue, and adjusted that to green as well. After you adjust blue, you may want to go back and adjust some red again… etc. until the convergence looks good.
(a) Use 4, 6, 2, and 5 on the R/C to move the cursor position(dotted lines).
(b) Use thumb stick to move the convergence point color.

8) I did not adjust the green at all. I use the green as the guide and did not adjust the location of any green point. This is highly suggested unless you have geometry problems.
9) When going along the lines and adjusting, you may run into the problem of getting an ‘S’ curve on the line. You’ll know if you get there. Basically, no matter what you do to adjust the line to be converged, the middle of the line between the points will not straighten out (it bends between the points). To fix this, the manual recommends going to the (7x5) mode which gives you less points to adjust. I had this problem, and the solution worked. There is also another mode (3x3) which gives you even less points. Basically, if the set looks good, you only fine tune it in (13x9) mode (64 point). If you have serious problems, the grids work as:
3x3 – ‘coarse’
7x5 – ‘medium’
13x9 – ‘fine’

10) To get to each of these patterns use the following on the R/C: (only if you need to)
1. (3x3) Press “STATUS†5 times (only works when DCU is in uncorrected state)
2. (7x5) Press “0†5 times
3. (13x9) Press “ANT†5 times

11) If you adjust the 3x3, then you should go to the 7x5, and then the 13x9. You get the point… depending on where you start, work your way up, and always finish on the 13x9

12) When finishing up the 13x9 mode, to get additional ‘grids’ on the edges of the screen, press the PIP CH button on the remote control while in the digital convergence adjustment mode (DCAM). Fine tune the edge convergence as necessary. To exit, press PIP CH again.

13) When convergence is acceptable, press PIP MODE to write data to ROM memory. ROM WRITE? is displayed to alarm system that ROM will be overwritten with new data. Press the PIP MODE button again to write displayed data to ROM.

14) DATA WRITE TO ROM will take approximately 4 seconds and no picture will be displayed.

15) Green dots will be displayed when operation is completed.
WARNING: YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO COMPLETE MAGIC FOCUS INITIALIZATION!!! THERE HAVE BEEN MANY POSTS THAT PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITHOUT DOING THIS STEP BECAUSE THEY LOOSE MAGIC FOCUS!

16) Press MUTE to return to convergence pattern, then confirm again convergence is acceptable.

17) Press PIP MODE and then PIP CH to initialize Magic Focus. The initialize operation starts and several windows appear during this operation. It takes about 30 seconds or less.

18) When green dots appear, initialize operation is finished.
19) Turn power OFF.

21) Wait a few seconds. Turn the TV on, and you should have your normal signal. Press Magic Focus button just to make sure the magic focus still works (and that you did the last few steps properly)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 05-06-2003, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sthong
Please find attached a picture showing my hitachi 57swx20b all prepped to have geometry fixed.

I used masking tape, thread, and a tape measure to put together a "JIG" by which to align the convergence grid.
When BobL and I evaluated my geometry we noticed it was tilted to the right. I had already done a good job with convergence. Hitachi doesn't have any specific electronic adjustment for geometry except horizontal and vertical positioning. After setting overscan to about 4% we began adjusting the geometry using the convergence menu. Not long after adjusting the geometry we realized the set was not on an even surface. My house is older with additions and settling that had occured. This throws off your perception of what is a horizontal line and subsequently a vertical line. We needed to make the geometry relative to the TV, so here is what we did.

1. We Put up the display grid on the TV.
2. Placed masking tape around the screen
3. Measured from the top of the screen on the left side, marked all the lines on the masking tape, and took measurements of each line on the grid. Then took those measurements and marked it on the right side masking tape.
4. Adjusted the green grid to line up with each of those marks. Because of the uneven floor it would be very easy to put a slight bow in the middle, your eyes would try to compensate for true horizontal. So we used my laser alignment tool that I use for audio calibrations and reflected the beam across the screen. And made sure all the lines were perfectly straight.
5. Then we did the vertical.
6. Then we did the convergence. To do this I use a magnifying dome to magnify the grid so I can get it dead on. Especially nice with the Hitachi because the blue is difficult to see.
7. Finally, we recalibrated the colors and grayscale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Old 11-22-2003, 10:35 PM

I guess i was asking about magnifiying dome...how do you get that up to see a good convergence....perfect like yours.

Geometry fix is something I will have to tackle. Reading your post on this thread is not as clear. Do you have dimension for the spacing that Ishould be aiming for?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe a quick fix for the geometry is to first get it perfect in the manual mode. then, enter the dcam mode rapidly (dont let the magic focus do its thing) and save the info without any touch ups.This should save most of what you did manually to the auto magic focus.You might need to touch up a little sometimes manually but not much.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I was thinking convergence! this should be a fix for that not geometry.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:15 AM

Quote:
10) To get to each of these patterns use the following on the R/C: (only if you need to)
1. (3x3) Press “STATUS†5 times (only works when DCU is in uncorrected state)
2. (7x5) Press “0†5 times
3. (13x9) Press “ANT†5 times
I have a 57XWX20B, and I have tried to get into these different grids several times to no avail. Here is what I do:
Press "Magic Focus" on the TV
Press "Magic Focus" again to interrupt the convergence
Press "Info" on the remote to get into convergence/geometry mode
At this point, I do not adjust anything, and I press "INFO" or "ANT" 5 times, but nothing happens. I still have the same "fine" grid on the screen. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-07-2004, 07:12 AM

Where can I find the grid measurements for a 51swx20b?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinGC
Service Manual?

-

Old 02-07-2004, 08:26 AM

I once had the measurements, but no longer do. Have looked everywhere for my copy of the service manual, to no avail. Apparently was one of the casualties, along with some other paperwork that "disappeared" a while back.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Email me @ Mfusick@aol.com and I'll send you a copy when I get a chance.

-

Old 02-07-2004, 08:46 AM

Done...also PM'd you right before that...lol.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:23 AM

Muf,
I was supposed to get a CD copy of the manual for hitachi 51uwx20b?
Do you remember? I sent PM and gave E-mail and didn't hear from you.
Can I try it again?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sure.

Email me:)

-

Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinGC
Grid specs (from service manual) are as follows:
-Overall screen size is 1129 mm wide x 635 mm high.
-Six innermost rows of the grid each have twelve boxes which are 90.8 mm wide x 82.0 mm high.
-Top and bottom rows of the grid each have twelve boxes which are 90.8 mm wide x 41.0 mm high.
-Vertical distance from top/bottom rows to edge of screen is 30.5 mm.
-Horizontal distance from leftmost/righmost columns to edge of screen is 19.7 mm.

My cable provider is Netflix