Advice on first HDTV purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-01-2002, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering buying my first HDTV within the next couple months, and I'm looking for some advice. Here are the things I know for sure:

This will go in my living room, which is around 23'L by 12'W. I think for that size room I would like a set between 55 and 65 inches. The way the room is set up, we will have around a 10 foot viewing distance between the sofa and the tv. Is that ok for a 55-65 inch HDTV?

I have a budget of $5000, but it could go up if there is a set out there that is really worth the extra money. I definitely want a widescreen 16:9 set. From what I've looked at and read, I think a rear projection CRT based display is the way to go. Or would DLP, LCD, LCoS, etc. be worth my time?

I will use this set mainly for watching DVD's, OTA HDTV, and video games. I live about 40 miles from Madison WI, where all of the stations are broadcasting DTV, so I think I would be able to pick those up OTA. For that reason, I I'm interested in an integrated HDTV, with the tuner built in.

Brands I've looked at so far that I like include Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Sony, and Hitachi. I've been especially impressed with the XWX series by Hitachi. I'm attracted to them because the tuner is built in, there are a lot of inputs (including DVI and Firewire), and the picture quality looks great. The price for the 57" model is around $4500, with the 65" model just $500 more. Does anyone have experience with these models? Others that are better?

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone could give me on my first HDTV purchase.

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-01-2002, 12:34 PM

Hi Brian,

The XWX is a great set.

My only recommendation would be to compare it, if possible, with a DLP or LCD based set as there are pros and cons to going with a CRT based set.

When I purchased recently, I went with a CRT based set, because the black levels on the digital sets were not to my liking, but depending on the amount of gaming that you are planning on doing, the lack of burn-in might be a deal maker.

Regards,

Phil
post #3 of 16 Old 11-01-2002, 01:51 PM

I think you should go for the 57XWX20B, we sell them where I work and the picture quality is amazing. and pound for pound i think it is about the best for the dollar, Joe
post #4 of 16 Old 11-05-2002, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Could anyone else offer any advice? I'm debating whether to go with a 57" or a 65" set. I would like the bigger set, but my room is 12 feet wide, and I have floor standing Definitive Technology BP 2000tl speakers. Is a bigger set worth squeezing for space?

By the way, I noticed that there is a digital audio optical output on the back of the Hitachi XWX series. Can this be used to get digital audio for OTA TV? That would be a big improvement over the usual analog connection between TV and Receiver.

Thanks,

Brian
post #5 of 16 Old 11-05-2002, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Buckstead
Could anyone else offer any advice? I'm debating whether to go with a 57" or a 65" set. I would like the bigger set, but my room is 12 feet wide, and I have floor standing Definitive Technology BP 2000tl speakers. Is a bigger set worth squeezing for space?

By the way, I noticed that there is a digital audio optical output on the back of the Hitachi XWX series. Can this be used to get digital audio for OTA TV? That would be a big improvement over the usual analog connection between TV and Receiver.

Thanks,

Brian
Bigger is better.
Take the distance you sit away and multiply it by a factor of 6.

This give you a "reccomended" viewing distance.

Thus.. a person who sits six feet away- 6X6=36" 36" set is recommended.

If you sit 8 feet away- 8X6= 48"

If you sit 10 feet away 10x6=60" and so on...

Now, these are only ideals. With the huge improvment in RPTV picture quality it is possible if running good signals to buy a little larger and still make it work out. It is also ok to purchase a little smaller if you think it looks better or better matches the room it is going in.

I sit about 7 feet from my 53" and about 10 feet from my 61".

The 61" Hitachi is in a room that is 25X23 feet, with cathedral style ceilings and lots of window and hardwood floors. It's a big room.

I bought the 61" cause it was the largest Hitachi made at the time. This year they have 65" available. I would have bought that if I could.

I honestly move the couch or chair closer to the screen and the tv when I watch a DVD and then move it back when I am done.

This is a pain in the ass for me. I would reccomend buying as large a tv as your room will take. People usually know if they bought to big in the first hour they watch it after delivery. With 30 day return policies and exhanges- No biggie..

But, most people find out they bought to small down the road when it's too late.

Anyone who owns an RTPV thats over 1 month old usually thinks it's just right, or too small. Rarley do I ever see or talk to anyone that has an RPTV thats "too big"

And,

Yes you can use the optical out for Dolby Digital to an outboard reciever for over the air and for 1394 fed signals I believe.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 16 Old 11-05-2002, 05:35 PM

What are refresh rates like on LCD and DLP sets? Will video games and other fast moving action leave trails?
post #7 of 16 Old 11-06-2002, 07:18 AM

Brian,

I'm in a very similar situation in that I'm building a house right now that will be completed in Feb. and my HT will be set up in an upstairs bonus room measuring 21x11. I went through thinking 57 or 65 for a long while and after reading a lot of posts on this board and elsewhere, I'm going with 57", the Hitachi 57swx20b specifically. I'll be sitting 10' from the screen and I KNOW I'll be very happy with that setup. Main factors that contributed to my decision are the larger the screen, the more the imperfections in a bad source will be magnified, can save a few bucks though not of utmost importance, can use the back of that room for something else (as opposed to sitting 12-14' away from 65" screen and eating the whole room up, and lastly, I don't know if a 65" screen can be brought upstairs. :confused:

Good luck in your decision. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with it!! :)
post #8 of 16 Old 11-06-2002, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

" I went through thinking 57 or 65 for a long while and after reading a lot of posts on this board and elsewhere, I'm going with 57", the Hitachi 57swx20b specifically"

If it does not fit you can always go to the 65" rather than going down to a 51"

The 65" cabinet comes apart and splits to get it in the house.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 16 Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Would picture quality really be worse on a 65" set compared with a 57" set? I'm thinking specifically of the Hitachi 65XWX and the 57XWX, but how about it general? Do larger RP sets have less focus, clarity, PQ than their slightly smaller counterparts?

Thanks for your advice,

Brian
post #10 of 16 Old 11-06-2002, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"Would picture quality really be worse on a 65" set compared with a 57" set? "

Slightly...

With each increase in size of the screen you lose picture information per sqaure inch.

Also, 65" Models respond well to ISF calibration since convergence and focus can make a bigger difference.

If your more than 10 feet I would say don't worry about it and go 65" Less than 10 feet go smaller.

Here's a link to the owners manual if you want to read what they reccomend...
http://merchant.satisfusion.com/libr...7_65twx20b.pdf

-

post #11 of 16 Old 11-06-2002, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the owners manual. That helped. Does anyone have a link to the XWX series owners manual? I know it would be basically the same, but I would like to see it anyway. One question I have from the manual is for left and right speaker placement. It says:

"For best stereo separation, place the external speakers at least four feet from the side of the TV."

Does anyone really follow this suggestion? I probably wouldn't be able to get more than a foot or two away from the TV. Hopefully that would be enough to avoid magnetic distortion.

Brian
post #12 of 16 Old 11-07-2002, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Video Shielded speakers help alot. At CC there is the XWX on the floor with Polk Towers right beside it, only and inch or two away. No problems there.

That site can get the XWX manual too....

or Go the long way they

WWW.HITACHI.COM/TV

-

post #13 of 16 Old 11-07-2002, 07:59 AM

Mfusick,

I figured you'd chime in with some sort of alternative. LOL Actually, I really appreciate that info. I had read a month or so ago about these sets coming in more than one piece and asked the sales guy about the 57" and told it was one piece. Forgot about asking about the 65". Thanks! If the 57" set couldn't get upstairs, I would definitely go up to the 65". Always good to have options! ;)
post #14 of 16 Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup...
If the 57" don't fit down the basement... don't go down to the 51"- Go up to the 65" and split the cabinet to fit it...

-

post #15 of 16 Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 AM

I didn't see any Tosh reccomendations... so here is one.

My 65HDX82, is great. There have been problems, but my set does not have these believe it was first run sets that did? And the Tosh HDX split apart as well, from the 50" to the 65" from what i understand.

About the speakers, i have my Infinities set up RIGHT NEXT to my 65" with no ill effects. Like you i couldn't go out any wider.

That and I was able to snag it for an awesome price, $2599 at a local AV store.

here is the link for the Tosh HDX manuals

I would right click and "save target as"

polar
post #16 of 16 Old 11-07-2002, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem with fitting the large tv in my room. I went to the 65" because it split and I love the size. My room is 10 x 20 and I sit about 12' away and the set looks fantastic. I'd definitely go as big as you can - it gives more of the theater experience. After all, that's what we are all after!
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page