Samsung DLP - 3 Blinking Lights Problem - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you own an HLM507W/HLM437W, have you had the 3 blinking lights problem?
yes 181 52.77%
no 162 47.23%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 463 Old 03-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by turls
I would have refused to let it leave my house until they at least tried the re-seat. I'm sure somebody has used it before, "how many Samsung techs does it take to change, errr, re-seat a light bulb?"

I felt the same way until the senior guy spent two minutes describing how complicated it would be to solve the problem because there were THREE electron guns inside that had to all be "synchronized" and coordinated to work together.

I just bit my lip and let them load it onto the truck. I expect the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 463 Old 03-07-2003, 06:29 PM

I purchased my original set Jan 5, 2003. Several weeks ago I made a posting saying that I had the cracking noise and asked if anyone else experienced this. I did not get any positive responses. I reported this to Showcase Electronics where I bought the set and they said they had never heard of the problem, but they replaced the set anyway. Now the second set makes the same noise. I was beginning to think I was hearing things until I saw the posting that someone else had the same problem.

It doesn't seem to effect the picture or the sound, but it makes me wonder if anything is really wrong. The noise is sporatic, sometimes as often as 8 times an hour,other times maybe only 2 or 3 times an hour.If anyone has any idea what is causing this I'd love to hear about it.
post #93 of 463 Old 03-07-2003, 06:46 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would guess it is expansion and contraction from the very hot lamp. The GWII does the same thing at times. You might try and fasten the lamp a little less tight.
post #94 of 463 Old 03-07-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
jerryl, are you talking about the big crack noise the TV makes from the plastic shrinking and expanding? That is normal, although 8 times an hour seems like a lot. I'd say once an hour at the most was how often my 507 did it.
post #95 of 463 Old 03-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

My 507 has the cracking noise a couple of times after it is on for about 45 minutes. After the two or three cracking noises, the set would not make any more cracking noises for the rest of the time. I think it is the expansion of the cabinet when it reachs certain temperature.
post #96 of 463 Old 03-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well, it happened! We had the 3 blinking lights this morning! I unplugged the set for ten minutes and the problem went away. I am afraid to turn it off now.
post #97 of 463 Old 03-09-2003, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it is the cabinet expanding and contracting that makes the crackling noise.
post #98 of 463 Old 03-10-2003, 03:57 AM

I experienced the blinking lights problem the second time I turned on the set, about an hour after it was delivered. I thought maybe I had done something wrong to screw it up. I unplugged the set and waited about 30 minutes. When I tried again, it started right up and has worked fine since.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #99 of 463 Old 03-12-2003, 08:49 PM

Well, had my 507 since mid December and just started getting the 3 blinking lights problem recently around the 175 hour mark on the bulb. Did the same things to correct as otrhers posted here. Tonight after about another 100 hours on the bulb, I can not get it to stay on for more then a minute before the dreaded 3 blinking lights come on. Placing a service call on it. What's to say that this won't happen again in about 300 hours worth of bulb usage?

- Dan
post #100 of 463 Old 03-12-2003, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you unplug it for at least 20 minutes to close the circuit to the bulb?
post #101 of 463 Old 03-12-2003, 08:59 PM

Duffin, this didn't work either. I had it unplugged for the last several hours and just plugged it back in and tried. Within a minute or two, the problem happened again.

- Dan
post #102 of 463 Old 03-12-2003, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dannodjt
Well, had my 507 since mid December and just started getting the 3 blinking lights problem recently around the 175 hour mark on the bulb. Did the same things to correct as otrhers posted here. Tonight after about another 100 hours on the bulb, I can not get it to stay on for more then a minute before the dreaded 3 blinking lights come on. Placing a service call on it. What's to say that this won't happen again in about 300 hours worth of bulb usage?

It's evil - run away.

Some of course say that running away is an over-reaction, that you can get good results by placing it in the middle of a pentagram painted with goat's blood and never turning it on or off more often than once an hour.

If you can, however, it's simpler to run away. Worked for me.
post #103 of 463 Old 03-12-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dannodjt
Duffin, this didn't work either. I had it unplugged for the last several hours and just plugged it back in and tried. Within a minute or two, the problem happened again.

Bowen is a sissy.

I would try to reseat the lamp using the pictures elsewhere in this thread.

Local service people will try to fix it another way and that is bad.
post #104 of 463 Old 03-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I had the three blinking lights again last night. Unplugging the set didn't help. I removed the lamp housing and inspected the lamp. It seemed to be fine, no burns and no disconnected filament. I reseated the housing and really made sure that it is all the way in the set (gave it a firm push once it was in). The set is working for now. We are keeping our fingers crossed!
post #105 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

I had the three blinking light problem again last night (two nights in a row now). It turned on and worked fine after unplugging the set for ten minutes.
post #106 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

pspun,

How long have you had your set?

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #107 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pspun
I had the three blinking light problem again last night (two nights in a row now). It turned on and worked fine after unplugging the set for ten minutes.

Mine does this every once in a while due to:

a) turning on/off too quickly
b) power fluctuations
post #108 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

The reports we get on this blinking lights problem are just awful. It seems everyone with a HLM set must be crossing their fingers every time they turn on the set. And we are only at the beginning of the presumed 8,000 hours of lamp life! That is not the way it is supposed to be.

Does anyone know if it is the lamp itself, or the housing, or both, or something else, that is the culprit? And are the HLN models liable to experience the same problem? Or has Samsung found a solution? I've been looking forward to buying a HLN model, but after reading these reports I'm very confused. The idea of having to cross my fingers everytime I turn the set on is totally abhorrent to me. Watching TV is supposed to be a relaxing experience, not a sword-of-Damocles suspense.
post #109 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PhilB
pspun,

How long have you had your set?

-phil

Phil, I was in the first PB and got my set on Dec. 2. I just emailed Samsung to suggest a quicker way to replace the lamp under warranty. Instead of getting the first service call, diagnose the problem, order the lamp, and install the lamp by another service call; I am willing to get the lamp from them, install it myself, and send the old non-functioning lamp back to them. They can get my credit card number up front, and if I don't send them the old lamp, they can charge me for the lamp.
post #110 of 463 Old 03-14-2003, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Maurice2
The reports we get on this blinking lights problem are just awful. It seems everyone with a HLM set must be crossing their fingers every time they turn on the set. And we are only at the beginning of the presumed 8,000 hours of lamp life! That is not the way it is supposed to be.

Does anyone know if it is the lamp itself, or the housing, or both, or something else, that is the culprit? And are the HLN models liable to experience the same problem? Or has Samsung found a solution? I've been looking forward to buying a HLN model, but after reading these reports I'm very confused. The idea of having to cross my fingers everytime I turn the set on is totally abhorrent to me. Watching TV is supposed to be a relaxing experience, not a sword-of-Damocles suspense.

I finally heared from my contact at Samsung (responsible for DLP TVs in US) on the 3 blinking lights.

This is a direct quote from his email:

Three blinking lights "means the lamp circuit is open... we found that 60-70% of the time 're-seating' the lamp addresses this. Other issues include faulty resistor or ballast. Bad lamps are an issue and we had a rash of them. The suppliers were "tortured" by our R/D team - Philips and Toshiba on the 100W and Osram on the 120W. New Q/C procedures were demanded by Samsung. Note though, overall lamp failure do appear high, but our total failure rate involving the lamp is less than 1% of total sales since last year."

"...in fact, new manuals [HLN series] will dedicate a page of instruction... 3 screws to remove and re-seat lamp" for replacement.
post #111 of 463 Old 03-15-2003, 09:42 PM

I've tried all the suggestions in this post. Problem will not go away. Comes on for a minute or two, then lamp turns off. Received my set as part of the second powerbuy batch in mid December. Now waiting for a service tech to come out and look at it. Hoping to get this resolved quickly.

- Dan
post #112 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

I continued to have problem turning my 507 on over the weekend. The set would have the three blinking lights after going through the on-cycle three times. Each time, I would unplug the set for a few minutes and repeat the process. It would turn on after many such tries. Yesterday, it told me about 45 minutes and about 5 or 6 such tries. Once the set is on, there is not any problem. May be I should just keep it on for 24 hours. I called Samsung this morning and will arrange a service call.
post #113 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pspun
I would unplug the set for a few minutes and repeat the process.

Did you wait at least 20 minutes before re-plugging in the AC?
post #114 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BobMcD
I'm expecting the worst, with a week or two for a technician to come to my house, then a couple of weeks for them to order a bulb, receive it, and schedule a second service call. Seems that's the drill for most of us.

Worse than I expected. Called the shop today, and they told me that Samsung doesn't have the parts and that they're delivering my dead set back to me tomorrow. This is the factory authorized and recommended service facility! If it sounds like Curly, Moe, and Larry are doing the work, then you've got the picture. I just hope they don't drop the 507 trying to get it back to my house. At least they seemed to have plenty of moving pads in the truck when they came to pick it up. Guess I'll get to stare at a dead set instead of just a hole where it used to be. Maybe I should have chosen a Sony.

Things are so bleak at my house that I've taken to putting a disc in the DVD player and just listening to the surround sound with no picture to accompany it. Sick, isn't it? Sick! Sick! Sick! This hobby is worse than drugs!
post #115 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

All these horror stories I am reading about the HLM lamp are really freaking me out. I had my mind set on getting an HLN model, but now I'm starting to look elsewhere. Could we get a statement from Samsung to the effect that the lamp problem will be solved in the new models? Or won't it be solved???
post #116 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All these horror stories I am reading about the HLM lamp are really freaking me out. I had my mind set on getting an HLN model, but now I'm starting to look elsewhere. Could we get a statement from Samsung to the effect that the lamp problem will be solved in the new models? Or won't it be solved???

See my post above from 3/14.

Samsung states that they are pushing on their suppliers to improve the QA on the lamps.

1% occurance is pretty low in my opinion.
post #117 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by duffin
Did you wait at least 20 minutes before re-plugging in the AC?

I have waited anytime from 2 minutes to 30 minutes. It didn't seem to matter how long one needs to wait. It turned on after just 2 minutes one time and didn't work on the other time when I waited 30 minutes. Go figure!
post #118 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Three blinking lights "means the lamp circuit is open... we found that 60-70% of the time 're-seating' the lamp addresses this. Other issues include faulty resistor or ballast. Bad lamps are an issue and we had a rash of them. The suppliers were "tortured" by our R/D team - Philips and Toshiba on the 100W and Osram on the 120W. New Q/C procedures were demanded by Samsung. Note though, overall lamp failure do appear high, but our total failure rate involving the lamp is less than 1% of total sales since last year."

Does 1% refer to all instances of 3 blinking lights, or only those instances where there actually is a bad lamp (i.e. not correctable by reseating the lamp), in which case the overall incidence of 3 blinking lights might be much higher?
post #119 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

See my post above from 3/14.

Samsung states that they are pushing on their suppliers to improve the QA on the lamps.

1% occurance is pretty low in my opinion.

Sorry, but this does not answer my question about the new HLN models.
post #120 of 463 Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, but this does not answer my question about the new HLN models.

Yes it does. Samsung is working on the problem with their suppliers.

HLN is simply a model year designation. The lamps used in the HLM will be the same for the HLN, but with better QA from the suppliers.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page