Samsung DLP - 3 Blinking Lights Problem - Page 5 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Rear Projection Units > Samsung DLP - 3 Blinking Lights Problem

View Poll Results: If you own an HLM507W/HLM437W, have you had the 3 blinking lights problem?
yes 181 52.77%
no 162 47.23%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll
Rear Projection Units

DLiquid's Avatar DLiquid
07:01 PM Liked: 12
post #121 of 463
03-17-2003 | Posts: 1,391
Quote:

Originally posted by duffin
Yes it does. Samsung is working on the problem with their suppliers.

You're implying that all instances of the 3 Blinking Lights problem can be blamed on the lamp. From everything I've read here, I'm not convinced of that. If reseating the lamp or unplugging the TV for a while can sometimes make the problem go away, it would seem to me that in those cases the problem has little to do with the QA of the lamp manufacturer. I'd be a little suspicious of Samsung pointing the finger at the lamp manufacturers if I were you.
duffin's Avatar duffin
12:21 AM Liked: 10
post #122 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 1,135
Three blinking lights indicate the lamp circuit is open. The circuit can be left open when a) lamp not seated correctly, b) impropertly manufactured, c) turned off/on too quickly (i.e., power failure, user switching).

I have no reason not to believe my Samsung source on the lamp supplier issue, especially after a) owning this set since July, b) monitoring these threads since then, and c) experienced with hardware manufacturing and supply chain issues in Asia.
Maurice2's Avatar Maurice2
08:53 AM Liked: 10
post #123 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 783
Quote:

Samsung is working on the problem with their suppliers

Would you kindly let us know when Samsung has finally solved the lamp problem? That's when I (and many others, I presume) will make my move.
duffin's Avatar duffin
11:48 AM Liked: 10
post #124 of 463
I would not advise anyone on waiting due to the lamp QA.

Going forward, less than 1% defect rate on lamps is a safe bet to purchase this unit.

Looking at competing brands, display types, etc., there is bound to be a defect with those units around 1% of total sales that causes part or whole unit replacement.

If you should unfortunately get a bad lamp (again probability less than 1%), everything is under warranty. The net is inconvenience.

Samsung has been working with its suppliers over the past couple of months leading me to believe that initial HLN units should not experience this problem.
pspun's Avatar pspun
11:55 AM Liked: 10
post #125 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 851
Well, I finally gave up and call Samsung and the local service. I was able to convince them it is the lamp, so they don't have to come out and see the set before ordering the lamp. As soon as they receive the lamp, they will come and replace it. After all the calls, I was able to turn the set on last evening on the first try. However, we can not turn the set on today after many tries. I will try it again tonight, and if I can turn it on, I will leave it on until the lamp dies (if not already dead) or before the service person shows up
duffin's Avatar duffin
12:00 PM Liked: 10
post #126 of 463
Bummer being in the 1%. You should try the lottery while you are on a roll.

Please let us know how long it takes to get a replacement lamp.
turls's Avatar turls
01:49 PM Liked: 45
post #127 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 4,679
1% heh? 3600+ avs members have bought this TV. Wow.

Sorry Duffin, I'm sure your source has data to say it is 1%, but I doubt the validity of the data.
01:58 PM Liked: 10
post #128 of 463
Of the 118 people who have answered the poll in this thread (see at the beginning), 36 have said that they have had the 3 blinking lights problem: that's 30%.
rmostad's Avatar rmostad
02:00 PM Liked: 10
post #129 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 368
Quote:

Originally posted by turls
1% heh? 3600+ avs members have bought this TV. Wow.

Sorry Duffin, I'm sure your source has data to say it is 1%, but I doubt the validity of the data.

The problem with this analysis is that the Samsung DLP owners on this forum are not a random sample of all Samsung DLP owners. I would imagine that many owners here where drawn by problems with their Samsung DLP TV. The vast majority of owners who have never had a problem with there set are not here. Add to the problem that after the topic appeared it would bring, by way of search engines, owners with the problem to the forum like moths to a lamp...
pspun's Avatar pspun
02:35 PM Liked: 10
post #130 of 463
Quote:

Originally posted by Maurice2
Of the 118 people who have answered the poll in this thread (see at the beginning), 36 have said that they have had the 3 blinking lights problem: that's 30%.

I originally voted as not having the three blinking light problem, so you can minus my vote from the 82, and add it to the 36.
DLiquid's Avatar DLiquid
03:14 PM Liked: 12
post #131 of 463
03-18-2003 | Posts: 1,391
Quote:

Originally posted by rmostad
The problem with this analysis is that the Samsung DLP owners on this forum are not a random sample of all Samsung DLP owners. I would imagine that many owners here where drawn by problems with their Samsung DLP TV. The vast majority of owners who have never had a problem with there set are not here. Add to the problem that after the topic appeared it would bring, by way of search engines, owners with the problem to the forum like moths to a lamp...

Yes, you are right. But I look at people like pspun as an example. There are certain members here whose posts I was reading before they got a 437/507/617, and then after they got the TV they eventually came down with a case of the 3 Blinking Lights. This is a group of people that didn't come here because of a problem. From my observations reading posts of these people, it sure seems like it's more than 1% that have had this problem.

Even if you take the 200 or whatever TVA PowerBuy sets, I think you'll find quite a bit more than 2 people have had the problem, and this is just a few months after getting the product. That would actually be a good poll, who on the PB has had this problem. There you have a sample of 200+ people who weren't drawn here by problems with their Samsung DLP TV. The poll in this thread really isn't accurate because it started so long ago, and some answers (like pspun's) have changed.
duffin's Avatar duffin
04:02 PM Liked: 10
post #132 of 463
1% is a Samsung product statistic referring to resolutions traced to the lamp (i.e., replacement, reseating, etc.), NOT whether a user is experiencing 3 blinking lights.

Some users need to have a replacement or the lamp reseating to solve the three blinking lights. Others are experiencing it due to user error and can solve their issue by leaving the set turned off and the open circuit closing itself.

I am not even going down the road comparing AVS Forum stats to Samsungs stats.
04:51 PM Liked: 10
post #133 of 463
Quote:

1% is a Samsung product statistic referring to resolutions traced to the lamp (i.e., replacement, reseating, etc.)

You seem to put reseating and replacement in the same bag. They are two very different issues. Re-seating a lamp because it was displaced during shipping should be a one-time-only operation which virtually every user could do himself (with proper instructions from Samsung). Replacing a lamp because it is defective is an entirely different ball game. And that is what is mainly at issue here, I believe, let's not lose track of that.
duffin's Avatar duffin
04:57 PM Liked: 10
post #134 of 463
Maurice2,

You are correct.

To requote from an email from my Samsung source:

" we found that 60-70% of the time "re-seating" the lamp addresses [3 blinking lights]. Other issues include faulty resistor or ballast. Bad lamps are an issue and we had a rash of them. The suppliers were "tortured" by our R/D team - Philips and Toshiba on the 100W and Osram on the 120W. New Q/C procedures were demanded by Samsung. Note though, overall lamp failure do appear high, but our total failure rate involving the lamp is less than 1% of total sales since last year."
pspun's Avatar pspun
05:08 PM Liked: 10
post #135 of 463
My guess is that the 1% includes all the sets they have produced so far. Many of the sets are still in the distribution channel, and many others were purchased less than 3 months ago. In fact, the majority of sets (90%?) have been produced in the past 3 or 4 months. I would think that the percentage of lamp failure will go up significantly in the next few months. My set was fine for a little over three months.

I can't turn my set on tonight, I have tried unplugging and plugging (actually, it is turning off/on the surge protector that the set is plugged in) about ten times now.
duffin's Avatar duffin
05:49 PM Liked: 10
post #136 of 463
Quote:

Originally posted by pspun
My guess is that the 1% includes all the sets they have produced so far. Many of the sets are still in the distribution channel, and many others were purchased less than 3 months ago. In fact, the majority of sets (90%?) have been produced in the past 3 or 4 months. I would think that the percentage of lamp failure will go up significantly in the next few months. My set was fine for a little over three months.

I can't turn my set on tonight, I have tried unplugging and plugging (actually, it is turning off/on the surge protector that the set is plugged in) about ten times now.

Highly recommend waiting more that 20 minutes between power cycling. Anything less may damage the lamp.
06:18 PM Liked: 10
post #137 of 463
Quote:

Highly recommend waiting more that 20 minutes between power cycling. Anything less may damage the lamp.

That's another defect of these sets. The TV should be able to protect itself. It should protect itself, for example, by not allowing another power cycling before 20 minutes have elapsed. This could be done easily, I think, by programming it into the circuit.
pspun's Avatar pspun
06:26 AM Liked: 10
post #138 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 851
Well, right after I posted my last message, I was able to turn the set on the first try. I don't think the lamp would be damaged by cycling it within less than 20 minutes if it was not turned on in the last cycle. I have cycled it within seconds many time when it failed to turn on. I think it would damage the lamp if it is on/off/on in a short time period (I don't know what is "short time period", is it 20 minutes?).
KenLand's Avatar KenLand
06:41 AM Liked: 13
post #139 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 3,628
An engineer with a projector company posted 5 minutes as the number. He also said that striking (turning on) a hot lamp only degrades its life by a few minutes. (not that big of a deal)

I usually count to 20 or so if I need to turn it right back on, otherwise I just leave it off for awhile.

Ken
zwatt's Avatar zwatt
11:14 AM Liked: 10
post #140 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 2
If anyone can provide some assistance on the procedures for attempting to reseat the lamp, it would be greatly appreciated. The dreaded 3 blinkers appeared after 99 days of use. Thnxs in advance.
duffin's Avatar duffin
12:01 PM Liked: 10
post #141 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 1,135
Here is more communication directly from Samsung's DLP TV management on the lamp.

"The procedure for replacement and re-seating a lamp is the same.

The lamp issue is broken down to the following:
1) Lamp reseat
2) Lamp failure
3) Lamp power supply
4) Lamp cover door switch

Our lamp suppliers will raise the q/c procedures on both the lamp and power supply (ballast).

All [the above are] warrantee items. That's why it is important to buy from a reputable local dealer. On-liners do not offer service.

Magnolia HiFi and others like them are being service trained as we speak. By the end of June, we are to have 100% of our service community up to speed.

Re: on/off concern... The set is designed to turn back on within 30 seconds to a minute after a power down. "
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #142 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 783
If you ask me, these lamps suck!
duffin's Avatar duffin
07:07 PM Liked: 10
post #143 of 463
03-19-2003 | Posts: 1,135
Quote:

Originally posted by Maurice2
If you ask me, these lamps suck!

I don't think that is being fair. My understanding is you don't even own a set!

30% on this poll have experienced the 3 blinking lights. If you do, turn off for 60 seconds and move on.

This is a NON-issue folks going forward!

My last post on this.
pspun's Avatar pspun
08:56 AM Liked: 10
post #144 of 463
03-20-2003 | Posts: 851
Just to keep everyone informed on my continuing 3-blinking-light experience. We were able to turn the set on yesterday on the first try. We kept it on all day (and night). We will see if we can turn it on later today. I don't know what the service guy would say when he shows up with the new lamp and I can't duplicate the 3-blinking-light problem. "Mr. here is the power switch on the remote, push it once when you point at the set,..."
pspun's Avatar pspun
12:17 PM Liked: 10
post #145 of 463
03-20-2003 | Posts: 851
Well, we were able to turn the set on a little while ago after about 5 tries (i.e. unplug and plug five times). The lamp is working, but just hard to get it started. Once it is on, it stays on. Is this a problem with the lamp? or something else?
clperry's Avatar clperry
02:32 PM Liked: 10
post #146 of 463
03-22-2003 | Posts: 19
Yesterday my wife said she turned on the set (while I was gone) and that no picture came on, but she could hear the sound. I asked her if she saw all three green lights blinking, but she couldn't remember.

Does this sound like the "3 blinking lights problem"?

BTW - this is the first time it has happened, and it hasn't happened since (after several turn on's and off's yesterday and today). I'm not sure how to tell how many hours we've logged on the lamp, but we just bought the set (HLM507) in the middle of January.

- Chris
KenLand's Avatar KenLand
08:33 AM Liked: 13
post #147 of 463
03-23-2003 | Posts: 3,628
Chris,

Sounds a little more like the No-Picture problem:

Read more:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=239628

Ken
clperry's Avatar clperry
10:35 AM Liked: 10
post #148 of 463
03-23-2003 | Posts: 19
Yeah, I saw that thread too, but I didn't think it was the same problem because my wife said there was no picture at all (the other problem has lines across the screen) and that it didn't even look like the lamp had lit up (because of the faint glow the screen has, even when black).

I remember reading (in this thread?) about an infrequent connection problem with the lamp assy. not initializing. Could this be related?

Anyway, no more problems yet. However, I won't hesitate to call for warranty service if it happens again.
Bishamon's Avatar Bishamon
09:25 AM Liked: 10
post #149 of 463
03-24-2003 | Posts: 970
Quote:

Originally posted by clperry
Yeah, I saw that thread too, but I didn't think it was the same problem because my wife said there was no picture at all (the other problem has lines across the screen) and that it didn't even look like the lamp had lit up (because of the faint glow the screen has, even when black).

Mine has done that three times now since November -- sound but no picture at all. Each time turning it off and back on has corrected the problem.

I do believe I see a faint glow, however, and I can hear the color wheel starting up.
pspun's Avatar pspun
12:28 PM Liked: 10
post #150 of 463
03-24-2003 | Posts: 851
Just to keep everyone informed, we were able to turn the set on on the second try on both Saturday and Sunday (we kept the set on for the day once it was on). Earlier today, we were able to turn it on on the seventh try. Each try involves in the set repeating the on cycle three times, turn off power supply from the surge protector, and turn the power back on.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Subscribe to this Thread