Samsung DLP - 3 Blinking Lights Problem - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you own an HLM507W/HLM437W, have you had the 3 blinking lights problem?
yes 180 52.63%
no 162 47.37%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 463 Old 04-23-2003, 09:26 PM
M16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
duffin,

What are the chances of getting two of the "few parts"? From my quick scan of the posts since mine, we all should have used up the "few" parts by now huh? I've helped the cause by using up TWO of them!

Thanks for the AC check list - the TV was plugged into a surge protector. The house is relatively new and other components are plugged into the same circuit and have been fine.

Regarding where to place blame, it's Samsung's call to use the Toshiba/Philips bulbs so why shouldn't the blame be placed on them?

How will the best $$ in the market set come out after the warrantee is over?

We'll see how things go this time. I want to be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 463 Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by duffin
See my post above from 3/14.

Samsung states that they are pushing on their suppliers to improve the QA on the lamps.

1% occurrences is pretty low in my opinion.

I was up in the air between getting the Sammy 43" DLP or a 42" Plasma of some sort. Leaning toward the sammy because you get a lot more bang for the buck with DLP over Plasma, but hearing all of this may just change my mind.
How is it that Samsung says that this is happening to 1% when we have 30% here? Some thing seems very off here. I am watching this thread to see how it develops. I would NEVER hear the end of it from the wife, if I drop 3K on a TV that has all these problems right away. Especially since the 27" Proscan we have has not had a single problem in 10 years.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #183 of 463 Old 04-24-2003, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Barrybud
How is it that Samsung says that this is happening to 1% when we have 30% here? Some thing seems very off here. I am watching this thread to see how it develops. I would NEVER hear the end of it from the wife, if I drop 3K on a TV that has all these problems right away. Especially since the 27" Proscan we have has not had a single problem in 10 years.

I would not equate that all DLP owners frequent this forum making you believe the defect rate should be more like 30%. The less than 1% of total sales to date is an actuall internal Samsung #.

It is easy to let the few who have this issue sway the masses on purchase decisions. I get suckered into the eOpinions and CNET opinion stuff all the time when I should let the equipment do the talking. M16's experience is unfortunate and may be componded by an untrained service tech.

The lamp assembly is pretty much the only thing that can go wrong over time with this set compared to a CRT or plasma set. The longevity expectations of this set in general are VERY HIGH amongst forum members, thus all the buzz. I don't think you can go wrong with this set. My only hesitation would be to wait for 2 DVI inputs in 2004.
post #184 of 463 Old 04-24-2003, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am not sure how to vote in the poll if you have already viewed the thread.

Anyway, My HLM43" from the first power buy batch is now doing the blinking light dance.

I will call support tonight.
post #185 of 463 Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, my problem was the blub. The set is now fixed.
However, hats off to Samsung customer service. Here is how this played out:

I call Samsung support. Talked to Eric and tell them set doesn't work

He gives me the names to 2 local authorized service centers.

I call local center on a Friday, they pick up set on Monday. They tell my wife it will probably be a week before they look at it. Probably another week before it is ready ( 2 weeks )

I get a call from Eric at Samsung on the following Friday ( 4 days after set was picked up ). He gots the parts and wanted to know which center to send them to. I tell him. He said that he wanted to get the parts to the center so I wouldn't be without the TV for too long.

The next Monday, the shop returns the set working as good as new.

I am not sure how Eric was certain that the blub was the problem even before the shop looked at it, but I was only without the TV for 1 week.

Samsung continues to impress me
post #186 of 463 Old 10-10-2003, 05:07 PM

Add a brand new out of the box HLN 437 to the dreaded 3 blinking light list. Yes 3 light the first try!!! And to add to the re-boot nightmare this requires I've also had issues with the set locking up! When I change the video input if I press the "enter" toggle on the remote the set will freeze up, however if I use the "right pointing arrow" it change the video input I had highlighted.

Called samsung got the typical "here is the local service number", called them and have an appointment next week. After reading this thread I called the service company back to ask if they have spare bulbs in stock and please bring one. They do not have bulbs and claim to have never heard of the 3 blinking light issue. I'll try the re-seat tactic tonight but at this point I'm not expecting allot.

Duffin after reading this thread from the start you seemed to strongly defend Samsung to the point of stating that this lamp issue is not their fault and also strongly stated that the issue would be resolved via QC demands presented by samsung to their bulb suppliers. Well that was awhile back and now here we are with the HLN's and the problem is not resolved. I have to ask why you were so supportive of a company that makes, markets, and profits from an expensive piece of gear that has obvious issues? And since these issues still exist are you still as supportive?
post #187 of 463 Old 10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Originally posted by ropedrag
Duffin after reading this thread from the start you seemed to strongly defend Samsung to the point of stating that this lamp issue is not their fault and also strongly stated that the issue would be resolved via QC demands presented by samsung to their bulb suppliers. Well that was awhile back and now here we are with the HLN's and the problem is not resolved. I have to ask why you were so supportive of a company that makes, markets, and profits from an expensive piece of gear that has obvious issues? And since these issues still exist are you still as supportive?

Did you notice that the last message in this thread was May 6th? That's a lot of sets sold and delivered.

The three lights are a diagnostic message that can indicate more than one different problem.

If the set was dead out of the box why don't you have your dealer replace it for you?
post #188 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 11:34 AM

I entered the SM on my HLN507 this morning, adjusted Gamma, hit Menu then the TV goes blank and I get the three blinking lights. Called Samsung, they referred me to a local service center. Fortunately they will pre-order the parts (I assume bulb and board) before the service call- scheduled for next Thursday. Problem is, they won't touch the set without the original sales receipt, which I can't locate. Any clue how I can get around this or am I hosed?
post #189 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fivespeed
I entered the SM on my HLN507 this morning, adjusted Gamma, hit Menu then the TV goes blank and I get the three blinking lights. Called Samsung, they referred me to a local service center. Fortunately they will pre-order the parts (I assume bulb and board) before the service call- scheduled for next Thursday. Problem is, they won't touch the set without the original sales receipt, which I can't locate. Any clue how I can get around this or am I hosed?

Have you tried asking the store you bought it from for a copy?
post #190 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Did you try disconnecting the set from power for a couple of hours before trying to power up? There are other "work around" tips in this thread like re-seating the bulb or improving the contacts. The bulb may have blown but it could be several other things that have gone wrong.

If you didn't buy from a dealer that will give you a duplicate of your receipt then you might want to start a "lost receipt" thread so more people will read your message.
post #191 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 04:58 PM

The service center indicated they needed the 'original receipt', however maybe they won't know the difference if I get a copy from the retailer. I think it is a CYA issue, they don't want to risk their paycheck from Samsung. I can also deal directly with a Samsung service center, which may be a better option.

Earlier, I powered off for about 20 minutes then powered on. All was well. Until....I turned off the set, left for a few hours, now when I [power back up same problem- damn blinking lights. The only two changes I made in the SM were Gammo and Delay, I wonder if that could possibly have anything at all to do with it- doubt it, but who knows. Obviously not the bulb if it worked for awhile- I assume. Dang.
post #192 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM

Latest is that it will turn on, and everything looks okay for about 2 minutes-then no picture + three blinking lights.

I am going to try changing back the changes I made in the SM during my next 2 minute window.

This is frustrating. Daughter is crying about missing the Lion King DVD I bought last night for her birthday.

Why, oh why, did I have to go and mess with the SM.
post #193 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 05:39 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

fivespeed,

I doubt very much that entering the SM, and adjusting Gamma, and Delay, had anything to do with the malfunction you are experiencing.
post #194 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

The SM changes are not related. Leave the SM alone until your set is repaired.

Don't bring up the SM at all when you deal with the service center and Samsung. Proof and date of purchase is all you need. Your dealer should be able to create an "original" for you.
post #195 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 07:29 PM

I figured it was not related as so many others have tweaked their sets, the coincidental timing is strange though. I have had zero problems from the date it was delivered (4/6/03), until this morning when I entered the SM. In any case, I'll make NO mention of the SM with Sammy support. Don't need to dig myself in any deeper.

I also realized I sent the original recipient in with my warranty form. If Sammy support makes an issue of it I'll go back to the dealer. I think it's better to deal with Sammy support than the third party support, since both are local from my location.
post #196 of 463 Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I also realized I sent the original recipient in with my warranty form. If Sammy support makes an issue of it I'll go back to the dealer. I think it's better to deal with Sammy support than the third party support, since both are local from my location.

Does Samsung require that you send them the original receipt when you register? If so, that is surprising since many have registered on the Samsung web site and received a three month extension of their warranty.

Good luck.
post #197 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 AM

I think I could have sent as copy, but I was lazy and sent the original. My mistake. I wasn't aware of the online registration- how would they validate your purchase without a receipt?
post #198 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Good question. You can fill in the form anyway you like--I would guess they might fall back on manufacture date if there is a dispute down the road?

A lot of us fought this issue with the power buy. The only "receipt" we had was the original order date, which for some was 3-5 months before the set was actually delivered. We were assured that since these were actually shipped from Samsung, they had a record of the date. Since then I've gone through 2 more sets though and all I have to validate that is a letter from someone at Samsung support that isn't even on letterhead. Since it took them so long to service the set they extended my warranty. I have no idea what the actual date Samsung has is when you consider the online registration 3 month extension.

Matt
post #199 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 AM

I have a 437, about 3 weeks old, 60ish hours on bulb, no problems

Rick
post #200 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 12:32 PM

I contacted Samsung central support and they said the receipt was no issue as they have a record of it in their system. Just waiting for the local service center to schedule my appt, they don't answer the phone, they require you to leave a message. That was yesterday, still no call.
post #201 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I contacted Samsung central support and they said the receipt was no issue as they have a record of it in their system. Just waiting for the local service center to schedule my appt, they don't answer the phone, they require you to leave a message. That was yesterday, still no call.

Good for Samsung. Bad for their contracted "Service Center". Depending on your area you can ask for a different one if they are not responsive. Or you can get Samsung to nudge them.
post #202 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Samsung called back- appt. for Thursday. They actually indicated that they prefer you deal directly with Samsung service vs. third party. I'm guessing I'll probobly end up with a new digital board anyhow, which would be a plus given the addition of discrete commands and new version of the firmware.
post #203 of 463 Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm guessing I'll probobly end up with a new digital board anyhow, which would be a plus given the addition of discrete commands and new version of the firmware.

If you do get a new board the PQ might even be better. Good luck.
post #204 of 463 Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Samsung service replaced the engine (including bulb) this morning. They did not upgrade the software/firmware, still version 204. Interesting side note, the guy doing my service was very experienced and knew all about the AVS board (these guys read it all the time), and he indicated that Samsung QA is very rigid and that calibration tweaks accomplish nothing that 99.9% of end-users would ever notice. I suppose the users on this borad represent the .1% :0

A big thumbs up for Samsung service support.
post #205 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 08:50 AM

I was watching TV fine. Turned off the set and went out for a couple of hours. When I came back I hit the power button, got the melody, the blinking green light, and waited....and waited...and waited. Nothing. I get audio, but no picture. Finally after about 2 mins the 3 blinking lights came on. I tried the hard reset. Nothing.

I'm hoping it's the bulb or something quick. I called up Samsung and they are referring me to a local service center. The rep told me to bring the set over to them (they are 26miles out). When I questioned him about this, he said, "well...I suppose you could request in-home service."

I was part of the 3rd batch from the PowerBuy and I received my set around Januaryish. The set was mfg'd Nov 2002. The only "original receipt" I have is the one that can be printed out from TVA's website, which is dated Oct 15th. I had already registered the set on Samsungusa.com's website (with the date that it arrived on in Jan) and it stated that I have an extension, though the original receipt only shows October. I'm hoping either TVA or Samsung has a record of this and that my warranty starts from the date that I received the set, not the date as indicated on my "original receipt." Is there anyway I can get a copy of the receipt with the January date on there?

btw, I just recently received the v302 upgrade about 1 1/2 months ago. All was working fine after that, until now.

Wish me luck...
post #206 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 12:34 PM

I would strongly suggest you have Samsung service the set, unless that is not an option. I had Samsung do an in-home and they basically powered-up, saw the blinking lights, powered-down and replaced the entire engine. They said they don't even bother trying to fix onsite, it is easier and cheaper for them to simply replace the engine (and bulb). They did not question my warranty, however I called Samsung service and they put a not on the service ticket that my set was within the warranty period. Good luck.
post #207 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you registered your set (for the three months extension) they will have you on their computer. If, heaven forbid, they do not, I would expect Neil at TVAuthority to document it for you.
post #208 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I would strongly suggest you have Samsung service the set, unless that is not an option.

How would you request that? When I called Samsung service, they referred me to a local service center.

Here's the latest update: After I placed my service call to Samsung, I called the closest SC from me. (26miles). They said that all their Samsung Service warranty techs are booked until Dec 2nd!! I call BS. I tell them have a good day and call Samsung back. I told the rep what the SC said and they referred me to next closest SC (28 miles). I rang the 2nd SC and explained the situation to them. They said they would contact Samsung for an authorization since they are "too far" out from me.

While I'm waiting for their call back, I decided to give the TV a try. I hit the power button and heard the color wheel revving up. While it does this, it was also making an occasional buzzing sound, all the while with no picture;only audio. I have never noticed this sound before. After about 30 seconds, the color wheel spun down, stopped, then tried to restart again. After about 1 min 30 sec, a picture showed up on the screen! I flipped through some channels and make sure that it was working. I powered the TV off after about 5 mins, waited about 1 min, then turned the TV back on. TV acted normal. I repeated this procedure several times and all seemed well. I called the SC back to let them know that the set was working fine now.

I went out to grab some lunch and came back. Fired up the set, nothing. ARGH! Same thing as before. Wheel spun up, buzzing sound, stopped. Did this about 3 times, then the 3 blinking lights came back on. Unplugging didn't do anything.

I called the SC back and let them know that the set went back down again and they said they would be sending someone tomorrow morning to check it out. This sucks! I'll update more tomorrow.
post #209 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by What The!
How would you request that? When I called Samsung service, they referred me to a local service center.

I think that's what fivespeed ment.

I would have just left the three lights blinking until the service call. Intermittent problems are always more trouble than good old all out failures.
post #210 of 463 Old 10-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

What The---

We can provide you with a receipt detailing the date your unit actually shipped. Call our toll-free number, 888-286-5353, and speak with my sales manager, Hugh Mahoney, ext 501.

If there is anything more you need, feel free to contact me directly, ext 502.

Thanks for the business!

Neil Kusens
President - TVAuthority
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page