Samsung DLP - 3 Blinking Lights Problem - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you own an HLM507W/HLM437W, have you had the 3 blinking lights problem?
yes 180 52.63%
no 162 47.37%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 463 Old 11-15-2002, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to get an idea of what percentage of HLM507W and HLM437W owners on this forum have had the "3 blinking lights problem." Here are some descriptions of the problem:

Quote:

Originally posted by PierPaolo
...the picture just wouldn't come on and the three lights were blinking, the set was totally non-responsive.....although the manual states that 3 blinking lights is an indication of LAMP fault or it's longevity expired, I couldn't believe that was the problem since the lamp's life is supposedly 8,000 hours.

Quote:

Originally posted by cast128
Today when I try to turn on my 507W, it doesnt turn on. It sat there for about 10 minutes trying to turn on but then the 3 little lights on the front started to blink and I looked in the manual and it said that I need to replace the lamp. I was not happy. The TV is only 2 and a half months old and has less than 100 hours on it and it is suppose to last for 8000 hours. NOT

Quote:

Originally posted by bowen
It just quit working - black screen with all three indicator lights blinking. To quote the owner's manual on what the three blinking indicator lights mean:

"Lamp doesn't light. It may have a fault or has burned out. Replace with new lamp."

Quote:

Originally posted by dash762
Turns out the lamp is not operating correctly.

My DLP failed to power up three times today; each time the three lights flashed indicating a lamp problem. It's supposed to do that after years of viewing, not four weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 463 Old 11-15-2002, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
DLiquid,

My first set did this. After turning in on and off a few times, I could get it to come back on. It happened three times in the 45 days that I had it. It has not happened on my new set.

-ftlee
post #3 of 463 Old 11-15-2002, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither one of my 2 sets had this problem *crosses fingers*

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #4 of 463 Old 11-16-2002, 03:42 AM

Have the three blinking light problem with 507. Have to do hard reset(unplug power for one min.) On powering up set will stay on for 1-3 min. before going dead and getting blinking lights. Samsung sent service tech to install new analog board, didn't help. Get new set this week.

Jeff Johnson
post #5 of 463 Old 11-16-2002, 08:20 AM
Bri

Here is another...

Quote:

Originally posted by Tweakophyte
The Soundtrack in Boulder has both units. Too bad when I went to look the 507's bulb was burnt out.

I opt out of the PB soon.

-Bri
post #6 of 463 Old 11-16-2002, 08:41 AM
lmn

I had "three lights blinking" problem several times 3 months ago. It took a hard power reset to clear. I haven't had the problem since then...

LMN
post #7 of 463 Old 11-16-2002, 10:58 PM

I had that happen once, tried to turn it on 5 times in a row and no luck. Later i hit the power button and walked away to do soemthing and it was on when i cam eback, it's been normal since. I am getting a new set because i have adot that is always white on the screen though.
post #8 of 463 Old 11-17-2002, 05:15 AM

I haven't come across that problem...
post #9 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know there are more than 11 Samsung DLP owners here. Please everyone with a 507/437 participate in the poll.
post #10 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 10:06 AM

I hear you on that DLiq. I would really like to know who else is having this problem. With the number of sets coming in on the powerbuy (hopefully), I'm sure this is of interest to everyone. Maybe we should get a powerbuy going in advance for 507/437 lamps.
post #11 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnjeff
Have the three blinking light problem with 507. Have to do hard reset(unplug power for one min.) On powering up set will stay on for 1-3 min. before going dead and getting blinking lights. Samsung sent service tech to install new analog board, didn't help. Get new set this week.

Those were my symptoms. They went away when the bulb was replaced.
post #12 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 10:24 AM

I think it would be best if you started the thread for those to report the problem when it occurs. If one reports that they have not had the problem and then later have the problem and report it, the poll would then reflect a yes and no for the same person, which results in an invalid poll.
post #13 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Off topic, but perhaps some relevance...

If the MTBF (mean time between failures) is 8000 hours, what that says is that half will fail before that time, and half later.

In stating the life of ball bearings, B10 life (in hours, or revolutions) is the statistical life point at which 90% will exceed, but 10% will fail. But the average life of ball bearings is five times greater than the B10 life.

If you reversed this analogy for DLP lamps, you could infer that the B10 life of the lamp is only 1600 hours, the point at which 90% of them are expected to exceed. But a few of them aren't...

Tom
post #14 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rjc523
I think it would be best if you started the thread for those to report the problem when it occurs. If one reports that they have not had the problem and then later have the problem and report it, the poll would then reflect a yes and no for the same person, which results in an invalid poll.

My intent of this thread was to get a snapshot of the problem. I knew about four to six people had had the problem, but I really don't know how many here haven't had it. 20? 50? 100? It's just hard to remember how many people here have this TV. I was hoping the poll could give us an accurate representation of what percentage of AVS members with this TV have had this problem.
post #15 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 03:11 PM

My 507w has been here for a week [from tweeter at 3400 plus tax] and has been running fine. I kept it on for the first 48 hours on advice from the 'bulb dialog'. My only mod is some pads to tilt screen down for my viewing distance / height. I am most impressed with the PC display [I am using win xp with the 'cleartype' fonts]. Only disappointment is the lack of PIP support for the pc mode
post #16 of 463 Old 11-18-2002, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's what Steve Panosian of Samsung had to say about this problem:

Quote:

The lamp issue is something that I am checking with the service folks. It's a warranty replacement issue. I am asking for the percentages. We've sold thousands. I have some concerns here, but we need to know what's failing. I have a suspicion that we have a malfunctioning safety switch designed to "kill the lamp" when the back of the cabinet is taken off.

post #17 of 463 Old 11-19-2002, 09:58 AM

My first 507 had the lamp issue. Only had it for 27 days. Fortunately, I know the sales person very well. Took the tv back and took the floor model. As he pointed out, it has been running for a month and had no bulb issues. I figured if it had lasted all those hours (500) and did not fail, it was not going to fail anytime in the near future.

So far so good.

Steve
post #18 of 463 Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Had it, but it was because my AC outlet was wrong and tripping the circuit breaker I believe. Haven't seen it in three weeks of constant use.
post #19 of 463 Old 11-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Our ten day old 437 did it once. Multiple power off/on cycles and hard resets didn't help, so we tried a *really* hard reset.

It sounded to us like the color wheel was trying to spin up but was stuck. If your car starter did this you could unstick it by whacking it with a mallet. We tried the same approach, sort of - a gentle nudge to the set to unstick whatever was stuck. It started up fine and has been okay ever since.

Of course if it happens again we'll be calling Tweeter for warranty service/replacement.

SURGE PROTECTION BASICS

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien, Book I, Chapter 3
post #20 of 463 Old 11-21-2002, 07:37 AM

I own a 437W. My initial unit started this on its first night home. I had it set up and running for probably about 4 hours, started goofing with the remotes to get the E86 remote to control the TV (since the samsung remote won't do SAT boxes!!!). When I found the "right" code to control the power, it turned off all right... but would not turn back on.

I watched as the three LED's blinked at me for the thirty seconds or so, waited for the set to come on, and it seemed to reset back to green blinking LED's. This process repeated about 3 or 4 times when finally it gave up and went to a Solid RED LED on the bottom. I think the manual said something about an internal problem. I tried power resets, unplugging (even left it unplugged overnight). No avail, it would "crowbar" every time I tried it.

My retailer (HiFi Buys / Tweeter) took care of me and swapped out their "demo" on a Sunday since the warehouse couldn't do the paperwork to swap one out on a Sunday. They later replaced that set with a brand new unit. This set has not had this problem. I asked if they had the same problem, but they said they just sent it straight to service...

Unrelated??? I have heard a rather sharp "crack" sound from the set on a couple of occasions, don't know if it is actually coming from the electronics or perhaps some weird signal thing from the satellite coming through the audio...

I bought this based on the DLP technology (as a former TI employee and stockholder)... new it was new stuff... bought from a local retailer at a small premium... and bought the extended warranty to cover my backside...

Despite, I love this set!
post #21 of 463 Old 12-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Well, just happened to my 507 tonight. Has about 150 hours on it and less than a month old.

Am I supposed to just leave it alone and let the three lights blink? Or should I unplug it?

Jeff

Jeff
post #22 of 463 Old 12-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Luckily I bought the 507 locally after getting out of the PB.

Should I just get a replacement set or have a tech come and replace the bulb??

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff
post #23 of 463 Old 12-15-2002, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well, if it is a manufacturing defect, it wasn't fixed totally even in the November 2002 batch . . .

Only 11 said yes so far? Anybody else with a new batch (2nd round power buy) unit with the issue as well?

Grrrr . . . oh well I got three days out of it.

Matt
post #24 of 463 Old 12-16-2002, 06:08 PM

My 507w was put in the original cardboard box after the 3 blinking lights problem, I couldn't get it act in a decent way after that darn nightmare of the "3 blinking lights".

After a month and half of waiting, Samsung sent me a new set that has a tag with a production date of September 2002, it arrived just a week ago. With it, i got a color-cover manual printed in nice paper, the first set came with what looked like a photocopied version of the manual.
Also, in the lower left corner of the border of the tantous screen there is a "DCDi by faroudja" logo. The model of this set is now actually HLM507wx, not just "w".

The one thing I immediatly noticed on power up was the PQ right out of the box was superb, a sharp contrast with what the July-2002 issued 507w was out of the box. The PQ is so good in fact, that I haven't bother to do any tuning yet.

Now, dear Lord, please don't let me have another "3 blinking lights" nightmare anytime soon.

Pier
post #25 of 463 Old 12-16-2002, 06:50 PM

As reported in another post, my set had this problem ( ~27 days). Returned to Tweeter and expect to get another set after the first of the year.
post #26 of 463 Old 12-17-2002, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Just to update my information in this thread.

Tweeter came last Friday and replaced the bulb. Works fine now.

I thought about getting a replacement, but didn't want to wait until after the first of the year for Tweeter to get more in. If it happens again I'll ask for a new one though.

Jeff

Jeff
post #27 of 463 Old 12-18-2002, 02:53 PM

My first set had color wheel noise problem.
My second 617 has turn on problem, well known as three light blinking.
I will call harveys tommorow.
I love this TV anyway.
post #28 of 463 Old 12-18-2002, 09:13 PM

20 day old 437, 3 blinking lights....... enough said.
post #29 of 463 Old 12-19-2002, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hyung and bojo24 . . .

Have you tried removing the lamp panel and putting it back, or actually removing the bulb housing and reseating it? That worked once for me. The set has only been turned off once since waiting for a response from Samsung or TVA on what the cause/defect is that causes this . . .

Matt
post #30 of 463 Old 12-19-2002, 02:08 PM

sadly,
My second 617 never return from three blinking light land.
Thanks for your advise Matt. But, it didn't work for mine.
My TV automaticaly trying three times to turn on but failing each time than three light blinking, even hard reset is not working now. until yesterday, hard reset was only cure for turn on problem but.....

My tv was made on october 2002 sec
SVC Model Version 1
Please, If anyone has 617 which is later than this model input for me.
After my first one failed samsung sent this new one so this should not be old one or serviced one.

I still love this TV! Come back to me baby!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page