Mitsubishi DLP black issue/question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mitsubishi DLP black issue/question

Hey all!

Have a 65" mitsubishi TV (the non diamond edition) Set works great. I recently replaced the bulb about 9 months ago with a factory OEM bulb.

Quick question though. I am noticing lately that when I played dark games or watched dark movies, the blacks have kinda a grey noise to them.

I tried all 3 different HDMI sources with different devices and the blacks just arent as dark as they used to be.
You know on old school tv sets when you would get the "snow" when not tuned into anything. Imagine freeze framing one frame from that and overlaying it ever so faintly on the blacks. It doesn't animate like noise and seems like just a static overlay of a single frame of noise.

The colors and brights look amazing still. Pure white is very clean.

Anyone ever hear of this or know of any advise?

Thanks!

***Also wanted to add that there are no white dots or stuck pixels or anything like that.

Last edited by apachehavok; 02-16-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
informative

hi
I don't have any technical knowledge about this.
I am also learning about home theaters.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachehavok View Post
Hey all!

Have a 65" mitsubishi TV (the non diamond edition) Set works great. I recently replaced the bulb about 9 months ago with a factory OEM bulb.

Quick question though. I am noticing lately that when I played dark games or watched dark movies, the blacks have kinda a grey noise to them.

I tried all 3 different HDMI sources with different devices and the blacks just arent as dark as they used to be.
You know on old school tv sets when you would get the "snow" when not tuned into anything. Imagine freeze framing one frame from that and overlaying it ever so faintly on the blacks. It doesn't animate like noise and seems like just a static overlay of a single frame of noise.

Thanks!

***Also wanted to add that there are no white dots or stuck pixels or anything like that.

Pics?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It could just be dust on the mirror, or somewhere else in the light path.

I have a Samsung DLP ( likely the same/similar TI DLP/MDM chip) and I noticed the same steady static ( as in not moving, and like old tv noise ) grain. Then I got a few stuck mirrors and replaced the chip when it got too bad to ignore. In the process of replacing the chip I of course cleaned everything including the mirror and my grain was gone.
some dust.

I dont know if there are other failure symptoms of a DLP chip on its way out that would have that type of problem. Semi stuck mirrors that cant get all the way to the 0 reflectivity position?

My money is on dust. Maybe when you changed the bulb you stirred up
post #5 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Dust thing does make sense! Where does the dust accumulate and whats the best way to clean it? Thanks all!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

And white dots started appearing. Time for a new DLP chip!

Thanks all. Im sure the new chip will fix this issue!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachehavok View Post
Hey all!

Thanks!

I recently replaced the bulb in my WD-60735 (which was in service since I purchased it new in Oct 2009, so over 6 years).

I noticed the same thing on all inputs and tuners. The colors and brights look awesome and crisp, but the darks and blacks look terrible, very "white washed" out. (see attached pic of a black screen signal).

Dusted out everything in the engine/main board. Still washed out blacks/darks.

Did replacing the DLP chip correct your picture?

Hman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M_2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1371258  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
I recently replaced the bulb in my WD-60735 (which was in service since I purchased it new in Oct 2009, so over 6 years).

I noticed the same thing on all inputs and tuners. The colors and brights look awesome and crisp, but the darks and blacks look terrible, very "white washed" out. (see attached pic of a black screen signal).

Dusted out everything in the engine/main board. Still washed out blacks/darks.

Did replacing the DLP chip correct your picture?

Hman
This is the same exact problem I have with my WD-73C9, except mine is a bit smaller and towards the upper mid right side. I've been trying to gather information on it and some people are saying you may have to take the light engine out and clean the lens/mirrors, i'll be trying that possibly today.

P.S. I'm pretty sure it's not the DLP chip, I replaced mine with a new one and I believe right after I started seeing that grey white blob on dark scenes, I'm sure I got something dirty during the process.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dece870717 View Post
This is the same exact problem I have with my WD-73C9, except mine is a bit smaller and towards the upper mid right side. I've been trying to gather information on it and some people are saying you may have to take the light engine out and clean the lens/mirrors, i'll be trying that possibly today.

P.S. I'm pretty sure it's not the DLP chip, I replaced mine with a new one and I believe right after I started seeing that grey white blob on dark scenes, I'm sure I got something dirty during the process.

I had an authorized Mitsubishi service tech look at mine and he told me you CANNOT take apart the lens/mirrors to clean them like you can on some older DLP sets (like you can see on youtube videos).

The only thing he was able to do was open the color wheel compartment cover and dust it out with canned air. That did not make a difference.

The tech told me if my TV was still under warranty they would just replace the whole engine, because there are really no field serviceable parts (other than the DLP chip).

I am not sure how you would have gotten anything "dirty" by replacing the DLP chip. It is a pretty straight forward process...

Good to know the issue is NOT the DLP chip, I was about to order a new one and replace it.

I guess now it's on to a new 4k set. I cannot justify spending $400+ for a new engine.

Hman

If anyone has attempted to take apart a Mitsubishi DLP lens/mirror like the ones above please advise on your results...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hman414 View Post
I had an authorized Mitsubishi service tech look at mine and he told me you CANNOT take apart the lens/mirrors to clean them like you can on some older DLP sets (like you can see on youtube videos)...

He told you that because he's nothing but a "parts changer".

From page 46 the 2011/2012 Training Manual:
Quote:
CAUTION: Any dust or fingerprints in the optics can cause abnormalities in the picture.

This procedure should be performed in a dust free environment.

Wear lint free cotton or rubber gloves while performing this procedure.

1. Remove Optical Engine Assembly.

2. Remove screw (A) and remove the Lens Collar.

3. Remove screws (B).

4. Lift out the Projection Lens.

5. Install the replacement lens so the key is oriented towards the top as shown.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
He told you that because he's nothing but a "parts changer".

From page 46 the 2011/2012 Training Manual:

That's rather frustrating. If I cannot trust an authorized Mitsubishi repair shop whose info I got directly from the Mitsubishi TV website, who can I trust? Good thing for the AVS forums as a place to get the TRUTH.

Do you know of any youtube videos showing the above described cleaning process?

Thanks!

Hman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page