post #271 of 1754 Old 10-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mike_pro
Under the service menu DDP1010 you can use the POS-X and POS-Y to center your image and even out the overscan all around.

I see overscan on analog and most digital stations while on component inputs but my HD picture is sharp. Do you recommend I play with these adjustments in order to sharpen those pictures or am I likely to screw up my HD picture if I try to improve lesser signals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: SeaRay's comments on "Pro" calibration.
My own personal struggle has been whether or not to justify the cost of having this done for the following reasons:

1. DVD thru D1 (DVI output) is great. Used Avia and am perfectly happy.

2. However, I am hooked up to DishTV (S-video) with just plain old SD channels, no HD or anything. It seems as though each channel needs it's own settings because once I get one channel looking good (referencing the settings from the DVI input & going from there), other channels look horrible. Faces on one look nice and normal, and on another look pink. It's driving me nuts to try and find a compromise setting that works well for all channels without constantly fiddling with the user menu every time I sit down to watch. I think I'm getting close though, as I am satisfied with about 90% of the channels. I tend to use Discovery and The Food Channel as my "reference" channels for settings due their typically high content of color and detail imagery. Wondering whether a Pro Calibration would give me the final push I am looking for, but SeaRay's comments echo some concerns I have had in getting an experienced person.

GL
post #273 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Clamhead
Re: SeaRay's comments on "Pro" calibration.
I think I'm getting close though, as I am satisfied with about 90% of the channels. I tend to use Discovery and The Food Channel as my "reference" channels for settings due their typically high content of color and detail imagery. Wondering whether a Pro Calibration would give me the final push I am looking for

GL

If you're satisfied with 90% of the channels, I'd say you're doing pretty well. I tend to use CNN Headline News as a reference. You need a good, strong analog signal to work with and a variety of colors. I would recommend using a component input for the satellite box rather than S-video.
post #274 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 06:59 AM

I have the same issues with different channels on my digital cable (Time Warner). Usually if I don't like how it looks via the component video, I switch over to S-Video (I have the cable box hooked up both ways). I generally find the video tolerable under 1 of the 2 inputs.
post #275 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 07:10 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Clamhead
[b]Re: SeaRay's comments on "Pro" calibration.
My own personal struggle has been whether or not to justify the cost of having this done for the following reasons:

1. DVD thru D1 (DVI output) is great. Used Avia and am perfectly happy.

2. However, I am hooked up to DishTV (S-video) with just plain old SD channels, no HD or anything. It seems as though each channel needs it's own settings because once I get one channel looking good (referencing the settings from the DVI input & going from there), other channels look horrible. Faces on one look nice and normal, and on another look pink. It's driving me nuts to try and find a compromise setting that works well for all channels without constantly fiddling with the user menu every time I sit down to watch.
===============
I have same issue with SD Dish Network. I thought I had most common channels set correctly, but this morning they are back to same. I can't get those white/black settings correctly.... foexamples "CCN Headline News" whould not be clear at all at the bottom of the screen. CNBC tickers would come fussy.... I have dish network receiver hooked up with S-Video and Video 1. Is this a right setting?
post #276 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 07:14 AM

Sea Ray ---
Also Dish Receiver has picture setting that you need to change from 4x3 to 16x9. When I got my new hln last week, I did not realize it for fist couple of days... but when I changed it .... it made the difference.
post #277 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

for examples "CCN Headline News" whould not be clear at all at the bottom of the screen. CNBC tickers would come fussy.... I have dish network receiver hooked up with S-Video and Video 1. Is this a right setting? [/b][/quote]

I have a little different setup. I'm using Time Warner and have a Pioneer setup box. I have the ANT A input setup with just the cable wire bypassing the box altogether. This gives me access to PIP and all my analog stations. I find this picture clearer than going through either S-video or Comp inputs on analog (ESPN, CNN Headline, etc). When I want to watch digital stations or HD, I go through Comp.

Just for kicks, try sending a wire from your Sat box to Ant input and see if the picture's clearer. The colors might not be as vibrant but I prefer it. I am still investigating whether there are tweaks to sharpen this "overscan" which I feel is the culprit while going through Comp inputs.
post #278 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DustynW
Tom....

I don't understand all of the service menu settings, I just followed Josh Lehman's (Docdvd) recommendations. The combination of changes that he recommended made a dramatic improvement, though I am sure it could be made even better with someone personally calibrating the set.

Dustyn

Dustyn,
With the length of the treads, it's tough to track down any specific recommendation. What specific recommendations of Docdvd did you follow and where did you find them? My set-up is similar to yours and I would appreciate any info.

Thanks.

Vern
post #279 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 10:11 AM

DLP-Watcher:
Thanks for the tip about setting box from 4:3 to 16:9. I didn't know this was an option. I have the 301 DishTV series receiver and have mine hooked up via S-video & Video 1 as well. My receiver doesn't offer component outputs, so S-video is best I can get (for now). I think that basically what is going on is that this is a very accurate TV and as has been mentioned before, GIGO. I don't know how stable a Sat signal is, but I went to it due to too many problems with cable signal & provider.
post #280 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 08:36 PM

Yesterday I was ready to get a Samsung 56 or 61" unit... and now I find this. I'm wondering if it's still the right choice. Are any of you guys happy with yours? Would you do it again? If you wouldn't get it again, what would you go with instead?

I really want to get a Big Screen TV sometime soon, preferebly this month. I thought I had my decision made, but I'm beginning to have serious second thoughts. Many are complaining about the Green problems, and you guys seem to have other numerous concerns as well. So, what's the verdict?

-ZL Out
post #281 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 08:47 PM

Took delivery of my 61" Sammy over the weekend and see the rainbows to often and have had a headache ever since. I'm seriously considering returning the set to CC. Just my .02.

TIA
post #282 of 1754 Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zen Lord
Yesterday I was ready to get a Samsung 56 or 61" unit... and now I find this. I'm wondering if it's still the right choice. Are any of you guys happy with yours? Would you do it again? If you wouldn't get it again, what would you go with instead?

I bought my 43" DLP Sammy a couple weeks ago and overall I'm very pleased. The green push problems have either been worked out by my minor tweaking or by the TV "breaking in", but I think it is great.

I don't have any rainbow issues. If I shake my head back and forth really fast like my 4 yr old likes to do then yes I get glimpses of the rainbows. I have had many family and friends watch it and not one of them has mentioned rainbows although if I told them to look for them I'm sure I'd hear about them. As for headaches, I think sometimes the picture needs to be toned down a bit. The colors are so vibrant. I get headaches looking at this computer screen too long, actually.

I got this TV because:

1) The side to side viewing was better than a CRT RP
2) No burn in issues
3) It's smaller and lighter than the tube sets and the RP boxes
4) It fit my entertainment center perfectly (I couldn't fit a larger one in and I wouldn't want to go smaller than a 36"
5) No TV I saw in any showroom had a better picture on HD

My issues at this point seem very addressable with SM tweaks although to be honest I'm so pleased with the picture I'm hesitant to do much.

If you learn nothing else by searching through these threads you'll learn that there is no perfect HD set out there right now. These HD sets are "like wives. They are a compromise."

I think we'll really cringe at what we can buy a couple years from now compared to now but we're techies and that's the way it goes.
post #283 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 01:59 AM

I've had my 61" since April, and I love it. For me, there was really nothing else to consider and remain in the same price range. However, I needed a tabletop set, so that definitely narrowed down my options. Today, I tell friends to check out the LCD-TV's, DLP's and Plasma's, in that order. I also tell them to make sure they get at least one DVI input. Oh, and buy it at a place where you can return it (e.g. Best Buy, etc.). Control is everything!
post #284 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Govnah
Took delivery of my 61" Sammy over the weekend and see the rainbows to often and have had a headache ever since. I'm seriously considering returning the set to CC. Just my .02.

TIA

As for the rainbows, I see them now and then, but it doesn't bother me since I only glimpse them if my eyes dart away from viewing.

As for the headaches, you might consider getting a backlight if this occurs watching in a totally darkened room. Check out the Ideal Lume backlight. I have it and it works great with my HLM617W.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #285 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 06:10 AM

Re: "Should I buy this unit"

I had been looking for approx 18 months before I settled on the HLN5065. My logic proceeded thusly:

1. Wanted large screen HDTV for home theater centerpiece, Plasma in 50" size too $$, and concerned about burn-in and pixel life as I would be keeping whatever I bought for at least 10 years, viewing approx 15 hours/wk. It is not the "main" TV in the house.
2. Kept looking, saw the Sam50" lined up next to a Pioneer plasma, a "regular" big box rear projection (don't remember mfgr), a Panasonic 50" LCD, and a Sampo EDTV (Plasma type, no HD).
3. After probably 20 visits during lunch time to the local BB (the sales mgr started recognizing me, and left me alone after my usual "just looking" comment) the comparison above left me convinced that the Samsung had the best picture for the $$. Plasma did look better mainly for peripheral viewing, but couldn't swallow the $$. I was able to get the remotes to all the sets and the sales gal helped me put all settings at factory default to get a more apple to apple comparison using the in-store provided signal to all sets (They had LOTR DVD thru 480P - component input going).
4. I felt that the Samsung offered the best bang for $$, knew from reading this forum that DVI was important, and was convinced from doing the comparison that it had the best picture.
5. As far as the PQ goes, all the "discussion" here IMHO, is somewhat subjective and can be adjusted out thru various means. I don't see the internal reflection, don't see rainbows, did use Avia to get things set up on the DVI input, and am now, with the the help of this excellent forum enjoying a great picture especially DVD's thru DVI. It is simply an awesome picture. SD picture thru my Satellite is ok, but this TV is mostly used for DVD movies. I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again.

Hope my personal saga helps.
GL
post #286 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwette
As for the rainbows, I see them now and then, but it doesn't bother me since I only glimpse them if my eyes dart away from viewing.

As for the headaches, you might consider getting a backlight if this occurs watching in a totally darkened room. Check out the Ideal Lume backlight. I have it and it works great with my HLM617W.

dwette,

I just got a ideal lume for my HLN617W. I haven't got a chance to use it yet but was wondering how you have it sitting in reference to the set. Do you have it sitting on your stand behind the set or have you got it mounted higher? Appreciate any info.

Vern
post #287 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vblyth
dwette,

I just got a ideal lume for my HLN617W. I haven't got a chance to use it yet but was wondering how you have it sitting in reference to the set. Do you have it sitting on your stand behind the set or have you got it mounted higher? Appreciate any info.

My TV sits in front of a window. The IdealLume sits on the windowsill, at about the height of the bottom of the screen. I plan to try putting it on the floor behind the TV, but need a way to turn it on/off more conveniently.

post #288 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwette
My TV sits in front of a window. The IdealLume sits on the windowsill, at about the height of the bottom of the screen. I plan to try putting it on the floor behind the TV, but need a way to turn it on/off more conveniently.

dwette,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it at the bottom of the screen sitting on my stand for now. I don't like how the the fan from the tv blows on it there though. I bought an appliance module and a IR transmitter from x10.com to control the lamp remotely. Should work well.

Vern
post #289 of 1754 Old 10-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

I think that's a great way to switch them on and off. I use the IR543 module, so I can control the lights with the same universal remote as the equipment uses.

Seth Schnaible
ISF~JKP~FPD~HAA~A/V PRO
post #290 of 1754 Old 10-08-2003, 06:45 PM

Hi there. I have had my HLN50W for a couple of weeks now and here are some of my experiences and suggestions. (And thanks for everyone for contributing to this list; it has been a rich resource for me).

1. The picture is absolutely pristine. I think the picture is better than the plasma TVs I looked at: nicer colors and none of the lines and graininess some of the plasmas have. (not to mention cost/value ratios and life expectancy of the TV).

2. The only thing I had a problem with was that I found the blacks not black enough; this can be fixed by setting the gamma from 4 to 5 in the service menu and setting the picture to custom, and taking down the brightness and taking down the colors to about 25-30. A lot of the settings depend on the source, I almost find that the settings need adjustments depending on the DVD I watch. (and HDTV picture signal requires a different set of settings).

3. DVD. I bought the Samsung HD-931, and when connected through the DVI or the component output, using the progressive 720p or the 1080i scan settings (blue/blue or green/blue settings), the picture on the TV is absolutely stunning. Almost comparable to the HDTV movies. Amazing. I watched Gattaca, Cast Away, K-Pax, Big Blue, Fifth Element, and it's like going to the movies. But a lot depends on the quality of the DVD. Superbit or not. The quality of the transfer. Things like that. But if you feed this DVD and TV a good source, it puts out a pristine picture.

4. High def signals. Hdnet and HBO high def feeds, via DirecTV are great. Over the air ABC, NBC and other stuff you can pick up is also stunning. It's like you were looking through a window.

5. Low def signals. The picture sucks with VCR and regular TV signal. There is not much you can do about it. If you plan to watch a lot of laserdiscs, regular TV channels or VCR don't buy this TV.

6. Aspect ratio. With the Samsung HD DVD player, set through the DVI connector, many DVDs some in with the wrong aspect ratio, and it cannot be changed because the TV does not allow you changing the aspects on component or DVI inputs. It can be annoying.

7. Fan noise. The first TV I had to take back because there was a serious cooling fan noise, plus a high pitch noise. There is no way you can hear this in a regular store, but when you take it home, and you use outside speakers, you can hear it coming from the TV. The second TV is better. The fan is still audible if you have the sound turned off, but if you have it turned on, you don't really hear it. As far as I understand, about 26-29 dB is allowed by this type of TV, and it's up to the viewer/listener to determine if this is too much or not.

8. Color tone. I had Sony before so for my eyes the Cool 1 and Cool 2 looks the best. I guess it is a personal preference.

9. Center speakers. Previously I had a Sony and the internal speakers could be used as center speakers when using an outside audio system. This one does not have that feature. Plus, the top of the TV is really thin, and you cannot even put a small center speaker on it. So you have to put it on the wall or under the TV (if you have the matching stand).

10. DNIe: I see no difference with and without the DNIe whatsoever. Maybe it only works with low def signals?

11. PC monitor function: works very well, although it seemed to crop the bottom of my Mac's screen when I briefly tried it. Probably there is an adjustment option somewhere.

12. Remote - some people find it clumsy, I think it is cool.

13. Rainbow effects. I can see it sometimes. When the picture is dark and you have a few very bright spots, and you move your eyes from one side to the other (of you are watching it when your eyes are tired and your sight drifts away), you can see very nice rainbows. (actually, it is blue, red and green lines for me, I have not seen yellows or colors inbetween). It is not annoying, I can see it maybe 3-4 times for a fraction of a second in a 2h movie.

13. Conclusion: If you are not too picky about a low level cooling fan noise, and you plan to watch a lot of HD signals, this TV is unbeatable (provided it is durable). If you have a large DVD collection or watch a lot fo DVDs, I suggest you get the DVD-HD931. For about 250 bucks on the web, it's not a cost compared to the TV, and it puts you in a different world altogether.

Hope this helps for current users or for people thinking about buying this TV.
post #291 of 1754 Old 10-08-2003, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Csaba Szabo
Hi there. I have had my HLN50W for a couple of weeks now and here are some of my experiences and suggestions. (And thanks for everyone for contributing to this list; it has been a rich resource for me)....

6. Aspect ratio. With the Samsung HD DVD player, set through the DVI connector, many DVDs some in with the wrong aspect ratio, and it cannot be changed because the TV does not allow you changing the aspects on component or DVI inputs. It can be annoying.

I have my Marantz progressive DVD player on the 480p component inputs (HLM617W v214 firmware) and I can change aspect ratio for DVDs just fine.

post #292 of 1754 Old 10-08-2003, 08:16 PM

Picked up my 5065W today. Got it setup, using DVI out of my HTPC. Innitially had difficulty setting the PC to 720p. Managed though, and it looks great.

So far I've just familiarized myself with the controls and set the contrast and Brightness back. I'll wait a while to do any tweaks.

I'm running Diredtv and standard cable through the PC for now. So far none of the rainbow, headache, fan noise, movement artifacts.

Manufacutre date Sept. 2003.
post #293 of 1754 Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 PM

I've had my HLN617W since August. I believe I have allowed sufficient time for break in, but I am still experiencing an artifact that I don't like. I am not an experienced videophile so please forgive me if I don't use the correct descriptive terms.

My picture seems very grainy. When I get up close, the pixels seem to be dancing around with this DLP set. I have not noticed this when looking at plasmas or CRT sets or even front projection DLP units.

For example, I was watching a HD news broadcast tonight and the weatherman was wearing a dark suit. I looked at his suit up close on my Samsung HLN617 and it looked like his suit had electricty in it. Although he appreared to be standing still, his suit was dancing. I'm not quite sure how to describe this.

When I hit the "still" button, I don't see any of this, although I do see an inconsistant picture. For example, lighted parts of a dark area appear splotchy instead of simply lighted.

My question for you experts is: do I have a problem or is this normal? I'm not sure if I need to contact Samsung or if I might just be too critical.

I have not gone into my service menu, but I have made all possible adjustments within the consumer menus. Nothing seems to help the problem that is bothering me.

I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

Thank you,

David
post #294 of 1754 Old 10-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Remember that you are looking at a 61" TV. How does the weatherman's suit look from the recommended distance of about 10' average?

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #295 of 1754 Old 10-09-2003, 06:07 PM

I think SD programs require more distance than HD programs. People had high hopes that they will convert everything to HD once they by DLP--- Very Very wrong.

Singals are singnals and that is one of the main reason they changed the singal first and then changed the TV.

Too much expectations of a TV that is not capable of doing what is not suppose to do is what going on with many people here on this thread.
post #296 of 1754 Old 10-09-2003, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your comments. The experience I am having must be inherent to large rear projection DLP TVs. I think it's in people's nature to look at interesting things up close. Plasmas, LCDs and CRTVs don't seem to have the same distance requirement to "wow". I also didn't see the same problem when viewing a DLP front projection unit yesterday (100+ inch screen). I just want to make sure my unit is not faulty.
post #297 of 1754 Old 10-10-2003, 04:22 AM

Hi howada,

Others have commented on the same artifact, and I believe I had it on my original 61" HLM. I think this is commonly referred to as the mosquito effect. Here's one of many threads on this forum discussing the topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=mosquitoes

-John
post #298 of 1754 Old 10-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Liked: 12
I know this is a real Newbie question; but can someone please tell me exactly how I enter the service mode to tweak the gamma?
Thanks!!
-Jesse
post #299 of 1754 Old 10-11-2003, 07:36 AM

All,

Suffice it to say that over the past few months, I've read literally hundreds of posts from this forum, other Web forums, individual postings, trade publication reviews, downloaded user manuals from manufacturer websites, etc. all in search of the "perfect" HDTV.

Well, there isn't one. Every technology (CRT, CDT, LCD, DLP, LCoS, plasma, front or rear, what have you) has its benefits and its drawbacks. I came to this conclusion early on and decided not to agonize over minor technology hiccups that might give a buyer pause. I decided to focus on basic features and functionality that suit my current viewing lifestyle, which is:

- Both my wife and I watch a lot of widescreen material, so we wanted a 16:9 aspect ration to minimize letterboxing. 4:3 televisions need not apply.
- As such, I didn't want to be concerned with burn-in issues. CRT and plasma went out the window.
- My wife does not like "fat people" (e.g. 4:3 material streched to 16:9) so a broad range of aspect control was extremely important. (I'm packing a few extra pounds myself, but that's a separate issue). If the TV couldn't resize a progressive signal, it got scratched off the list and was not checked twice.
- We didn't mind spending a few $K but did not want to spend a fortune. High-def plasma, 70-inchers and exotic projectors were shown the door.

After cruising through a few BBs, CCs, Tweeters and some more high-end locales (Hi-Fi Sales in Cherry Hill, NJ - strongly recommend for anyone in the area) my wife and I both liked the PQ, presentation & styling of the Samsung DLP line. I immediately began researching both the core technology & the Samsungs in particular, and we eventually decided it was the right TV for us.

(I personally would have enjoyed seeing the Philips Cineos single-chip LCoS, but they're backordered everywhere in the Philadelphia area, and people are buying them sight unseen. I for one don't buy vaporware that I can't see for myself. I'm also very hesitant to embrace ANY first-generation technology, regardless of the hype).

As such, we took an HLN467 from Tweeter home about three weeks ago. The first night it arrived, Hurricane Isabel killed the power in our area and we couldn't watch anything. How's that for irony?

Overall, we're very pleased with the set. Specific observations:

- The discrete codes (found elsewhere in this forum) work as advertised. I was able to directly program my Philips Pronto 3000 using them, and can now jump directly to an input without having to scroll through that obnoxious menu.
- Warm-Up Creaks. Barely noticeable. About 5-10 minutes after powering on, the case creaks a tiny bit from thermal stress as the lamp comes up to temperature.
- The Rainbow Effect. I see the occasional strobophobic rainbow every now and then - maybe once or twice during a dark movie. You can usually see it when there is a bright light (say a fluorescent ballast) against a dark background, and suddenly look away from the screen. Then again, if you suddenly look away from the screen, YOU ARE NO LONGER WATCHING YOUR TELEVISION. If I keep my eyes on the screen, I am hard pressed to see rainbows. Ambient light certainly helps a lot - I have a 20W light source behind the TV, aimed towards the ceiling. This helps with eyestrain as well. As such, my observation of the Rainbow Effect is that, while you can definitely see it when you know what to look for, it is not overly distracting under normal viewing conditions. YMMV.
- The Swarm Effect - I can see flecks of video and DLP noise (e.g. the insect swarm) if I press my face against the television. I can still see it, much less noticeably, from a few feet away. Otherwise, it's not an issue at standard viewing distances (my couch is approximately 8' from the television).
- Fan Noise - Not overly noticeable. I would characterize the sound itself as white noise, and it's not overly distracting or annoying (kind of a cross between a PC fan and a microwave oven). It barely registers on my sound pressure meter, perhaps 2db louder than the room ambient. From 8' away it is barely noticeable. You will not hear it at all with even a moderately dynamic soundtrack.

Now, most importantly, PQ and tweaks:
- Overall PQ is excellent. Colors are bright (overly so, see below). Lateral fade is much less than RP CRT - I assume the Samsung screen is relatively low gain. You can see some slight color banding with DVE test plates and bright, saturated cartoons, but otherwise it's not noticeable with most video material. Glare is almost nonexistent. The picture doesn't suffer from blooming, as is the case with most non-CRT, fixed-display technologies.
- For tweaks, I highly recommend Josh Lehman's consultation services (jlehman@docdvd.com). I contacted him after reviewing threads from others who retained his services, and I find him to be both highly competent and highly responsive. (In one case, I e-mailed him a question at 9:30PM EST (that's right, PM) and he replied IN FIFTEEN MINUTES. He also called around 10:30PM to see how I was doing. Try getting that kind of service from BB or CC - you have better odds of getting hit by lightning in a Vegas casino).
- Following Josh's advice, the resultant PQ is nothing short of stunning. Black levels are excellent (still dark gray, but contrast has improved remarkably) and the transitions between picturebox black, letterbox black and video black have all but disappeared. Color tweaks are dead-on (verified with the new Digital Video Essentials, which I strongly recommend over Avia). Flesh tones look natural and not saturated. It really illustrates how overly-bright (bordering on obnoxious) the default picture was. Then again, the TV has to compete and look good on a BB/CC showroom floor (which it certainly does). Bottom line - get an ISF consultation for your unit - you won't regret it.
- The sharpness control seems to be defeated (not that I'm complaining). I didn't notice a single difference with the DVE Snell/Wilcox test plate across its entire 0 to 100 range.

The family & neighbors love it - beyond PQ, they can't get over the styling, weight and form factor (especially depth, or rather the lack thereof). With the matching stand, it really becomes the centerpiece of the family room.

The only problem at this point is my current HDTV service. While everyone on the planet seems to have the nice new Motorola 5100s, Comcast serves up a POS Scientific Atlanta 3100HD, which was apparently built during the Eisenhower administration. Bright gray pictureboxing, 1080i output only (I wanted 720p to match the set's native capability) no aspect control, no DVI, no Toslink output (all I have left on my current receiver is optical). A real POS. Comcast says they're trying to change over, meanwhile the coax antenna input looks better than HDTV, but this is beyond the topic of this thread.

Perhaps my only gripe is that there are two component inputs which only accept progressive signals - they do not accept component 480i. This presents certain problems if I have, say, component HDTV and component DVD - you lose all but two aspect controls. Only the "normal" and "wide" modes are available with progressive materials - "panorama" and the zoom modes are defeated. All of them are defated with DVI input, but seeing as I don't have any DVI equipment, this is not a prolem at the present time.

Still, I highly recommend the Samsung DLPs. Overall we're very satisfied with the unit.

Enjoy!

Z

Z
post #300 of 1754 Old 10-11-2003, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shag1077
I know this is a real Newbie question; but can someone please tell me exactly how I enter the service mode to tweak the gamma?
Thanks!!
-Jesse

See the document attached to the first message in this thread.

Arun's Guide to the HLN Series

Greg.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page