Samsung DLP -N- series tweaks thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2004, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have always wondered when watching football games if ALL the cameras where HD. Some seem to be something less.
Maybe the parade does that too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Michael.Chrisco
I have always wondered when watching football games if ALL the cameras where HD. Some seem to be something less.
Maybe the parade does that too?

Actually I'm kind of jealous you even got the parade and Rose Bowl Game in HD. We sure didn't get it in HD in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sea Ray,

Doesn't your neck of the woods have access to DirecTV or DishNetwork? The Rose Parade was broadcast on DiscoveryHD, which is available from both DBS services. The game was not included, though.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

Insist on HDTV!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeAB
Sea Ray,

Doesn't your neck of the woods have access to DirecTV or DishNetwork? The Rose Parade was broadcast on DiscoveryHD, which is available from both DBS services. The game was not included, though.

I have Discovery HD but I didn't realize they had the Rose Parade on, but this is what led me to believe someone was watching the Rose Bowl on HD:

"The Rose Parade in HD was awesome. My problem is that some movies/shows via the dish are sweet while others are a little fuzzy. This was especially noticable on the "long" shots during the Rose Bowl game. Up close and head shots across the field shots were spectacular but the above - "show the whole field shots" - could not keep up with the action, and the players looked pixilated."

This was posted on the previous page.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I get a head's up via e-mail on everything that's featured that day in HD programming from 'HDTV Magazine'. They also have interesting news flashes, industry status reports and interviews. Here's a link to check out their service. I have been getting the service for about three years now and love it.

http://affiliate.ilovehdtv.com/affil...020/index.html

Best regards,
G. Alan

Insist on HDTV!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:17 PM

Yes the Rose Bowl was on Discovery HD...So what about DLP PQ on SD? The Sammy recommended techs are coming out tomorrow to tweak for me. I have two complaints so far - 1. a static line across the top of the picture while using DVI and 2. a very pixilated image on live broadcasts - (less noticable during movies). The CC saleperson suggested I need a scaler to improve on the pixilation problem, but the hln has the Faroudja in it. Any thoughts on this or advice? I can't receive local HD via air here, so I'm stuck watching SD. Please help.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:29 AM

I have tried a Zinwell/Briteview BLS 2000 I snagged from my wife and it did produce a better pic with SD than the internal Faroudja DcDi on a 61" DLP. I am real curious how the new DVDO HD or the HD LEEZA would do. BUY DVD'S!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:16 AM

I think I saw that on ebay - under $500, or was it $1,000. I also saw some very inexpensive ones as well as mega $$$ ones. I haven't a clue where to go with that. I'd love to throw something modestly priced on and improve the SD PQ, but the A / V radar at home has become rather acute since Samsung entered my family room.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:19 AM

BTW - what type of conectivity did you use for the BLS 2000? Was it worth the money?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 AM

I just bought samsung HLN5365W. The manufactured date was Oct, 2003.

I tryied to access to the service menu by using remote and push MUTE-1-8-2-POWER in sequence but I could not get in the service menu.

Does anyone know if Samsung has changed the sequence?

Or I did something wrong ?

Thanks for help.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:30 PM

The speed of entry for the sequence seems to matter. Sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times, not too fast nor too slow.

Also depending to whether you have the "Music Tone" on/off you may need to use this sequence:

POWER-MUTE-1-8-2-POWER
Old 01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by anhtranle
I just bought samsung HLN5365W. The manufactured date was Oct, 2003.

I tryied to access to the service menu by using remote and push MUTE-1-8-2-POWER in sequence but I could not get in the service menu.

Does anyone know if Samsung has changed the sequence?

Or I did something wrong ?

Thanks for help.

Was the TV power off before you tried MUTE-1-8-2-POWER?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Was the TV power off before you tried MUTE-1-8-2-POWER?

Yes. TV power was off and the medoly was turn off also.

------------------------------

POWER-MUTE-1-8-2-POWER

I will try this requence tonight.

Yes, the power was off on the TV set.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:16 PM

I got the HLN467W a few weeks ago. It is simply superb. I get all the "wow's" when friends come over to see it. However, being the owner, I do have just one problem with it. I think the blacks are too black. For example, in scenes with people in black suits, I cannot see anything but black. Can't tell where there arms end and bodies start, can't see any definition in the fabric, or creases, or anything. I have used Attack of the Clones to set the Brightness, Contrast, Color and Tint. I haven't been in the service menu yet, but I worry about changing stuff because I am happy with the color. The tech on Crutchfield wouldn't help me with anything other than the Brightness and Contrast, but it didn't help. Anyone have similar problem and know a cure? I've been through this whole thread and all I can find is mostly problems with color.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:19 PM

Beware boys who love their toys; sometimes their judgements (and enthusiastic reviews) are clouded.

As someone who purchased an HLN5065W in October, I've only been frustrated. Why you ask?

1) The A/V sync problems (discussed in other threads) - basically in certain circumstances there is a time lag between the actors lips and the sound. It can drive you to distraction unless you like the look of old Chinese action-films dubbed into English. There is supposed to be a fix, referred to as the "Malibu" chassis coming in February '04.

2) The internal reflection problems. This is supposed to be fixed by the new E10 lens (some of us who've had the replacement can't see the difference - it's possible that the Service Center technicians installed old defective lenses believing them to be the new improved ones - but neither we, they, nor the Samsung parts department in Long Beach, CA seem to know for sure)

3) The fact that the darkest shade the Sammy will display is gray-black, not black-black, due probably to a combination of inherent limitations of the TI's HD2 chip and internal light scatter.

4) Washed-out, muddy-looking, low-light-level scenes lacking in shadow detail. I believe that this is due to the same factors as #3.

5) Samsung (independent contractors) Service Center Technicians who work on many different brands of TVs, and seem to have little knowledge of, or experience servicing, the Sammy and its problems. A number of Sammy owners have had to advise and guide the technicians regarding the repair that the TV repair guy is supposed to be performing.

By the way: you will not see any of these problems while viewing the HD, brightly-colored quick-cut loops that are being displayed on HDTV closed circuits at GG, BB, CC or other mass-market retail outlets, and I'm not sure that the higher-end retailers will share the above info with you (unless of course, they've trying to sell you a plasma, LCD or LCOS product)

Remember, you are purchasing a state-of-the-art, high-tech product costing thousands of dollars, so you shouldn't expect that the build quality, reliability, black-levels, or shadow detail would be as good as that of your 8-year old 30" curved picture tube CRT set.

Caveat emptor.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:11 PM

QUOTE]5) Samsung (independent contractors) Service Center Technicians who work on many different brands of TVs, and seem to have little knowledge of, or experience servicing, the Sammy and its problems. A number of Sammy owners have had to advise and guide the technicians regarding the repair that the TV repair guy is supposed to be performing.[/quote]

I can totally agree with this. I'm having green issues in some scenes with people with blonde hair and seeing alot of green tinted walls. I have never seen so many green walls till I got my HLN617W. I called Samsung and they sent over a so-called tech to my house. I live in the Louisville, Ky area. The man was in my house for 10 minutes and all he did to my tv was get behind it to get the serial and model #. He acknowledge what I was seeing and said he had no knowledge of DLP's and would have to do some research and get back with me in 1-2 days. 5 days past and I heard nothing from him, I called Samsung and told em that they didn't know how to fix it and never got back in touch with me. They seemed surprised that they didn't know how to fix my problem (ya'll right). The next day I finally got a call from the so-called tech and he said they would be out on Friday. This was on a Monday. Friday comes and they called and said Wendall the guy who had the information to fix my TV was not at work that day and they will be out on Monday. I ask why can't you call Samsung and get the info that you need? He kept on insisting that Wendall do it on Monday since he has the info. I said so what you are saying I have no choice I have to wait till Monday and he replied "yep". Well I did have a choice. I told them not to bother seeing that they were unreliable and I have no faith in them to begin with. I'm going to just hire someone to calibrate it for me. Once the picture gets calibrated right I know I will love this TV although I will never purchase another Samsung product again. This is my first and last purchase made by Samsung. I didn't purchase this TV because of the name Samsung I purchased it because of the DLP chip made by Texas Instruments. If I knew that the PQ out of the box was going to be so out of whack and the service this bad I would have went with the RCA. The RCA was cheaper but I had the you get what you pay for mentality and went with the higher priced Samsung not knowing what I was getting myself into. Samsung should be embarrassed to charge what they charged and have problems with the PQ out of the box. For what I paid I expected NO PROBLEMS for years to come. I'll be glad when more TV manufactures come out with the DLP TV's so we will have more of a choice of who we buy from. I know for a fact it won't be Samsung. It's ironic or maybe it isn't that they don't want you to try and tweak the TV to get a better PQ or they will cancel your warranty but they can't get anyone to fix it for you either. I smell a class action lawsuit in the works.....Sorry about the long ranting, no information post but I've got to vent some of my frustration's before I go crazy.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:19 AM

Dear Julian812,

You are not alone! I experienced the exact same problem with my Sammy. The techs are awful. When I had my service call for the same thing, two techs came to my home and were there only 10 minutes. They left scratching their heads for they did not know how to get into the service menu.

What I did, I went ahead and did the tweaking myself. I used a DVD signal and froze the frame of a scene that was particularly bad. I then went into the service menu and adjusted the picture until I was satisfied. (I would advice that you write down your original settings before you attempt this) 4 weeks later (YES 4 weeks!!!) the techs finally called my house and wanted to come out and adjust my Sammy. I told them that I fixed the picture myself (not admitting that I knew how to get into the service menu) and told them that I would no longer need their services.

What concerns me is that if I have any major problem with the set, they will send me the same idiots that came out before.

I can't complain about the picture quality now. I NEVER see any green tints in shadows or people's faces anymore. Sometimes I do have to adjust the picture when I get a poor signal but I never have to do this through the service menu.

I hear that Samsung has announced a new and better DLP to be coming out in June. I wonder if they will offer us an upgrade since many of us have spent big bucks on these TVs and have had so much trouble with them.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:03 AM

CraigSharrow -

I too had purchased an HLN43 in November. Although HDTV detail was spectacular, I was disappointed by the green tint, the washed-out blacks, the audio delay, an intermittent stuck mirror (bright white dot in the center of the screen), the inability to render lifelike skin tones, and the wide variation in color/tint between channels.

Then . . . I discovered this forum! Users shared their tweaks and hints, and were fixing their problems and enhancing their pictures. I tried one, which fixed my green tint (at least most of the time). I rejoiced and stayed up all night tweaking.

Of course, you know the end of that story . . . I'd fix one picture on one channel or source and another would be negatively affected.

I had considered the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD at the store but chose the DLP after viewing the picture - on a closed circuit HDTV feed (in spite of a noticeable green tint which the salesman passed off as an anomaly with that particular display model).

After not being able to achieve consistency between sources, I went to the Sony forum and noticed something remarkable: there were no long threads covering a multitude of service menu tweaks.

I then compared the two sets at a store with a cable feed, and returned the DLP in favor of the Sony. I went in to validate my original decision, but the comparison was undeniable; the Sony 1) faithfully renders colors and blacks, 2) does it consistently across sources, 3) requires no tweaking.

My advice to prospective buyers is simple: this product is not ready for the mass market. If you are reviewing this forum doing research on DLP vs LCD, simply read through the threads covering each set. You'll realize that owners of the Sammy cannot achieve a consistent level of picture quality no matter what tweaks are used and who applies them, while the Sony pages have posts only from the type of person who would tweak their toaster if they could.

And to current owners - your wife is right: you shouldn't have to tweak something that costs three grand.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:04 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
HadaSammy,

I'm just the opposite. I hadaSony didn't like the blacks at all. I returned it for a 437W. I had the set calibrated by an ISF tech. I love this set. The picture is fabulous on HD and DVD and fair to very good on SD.

TWD
Old 01-25-2004, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TWD,

Mind informing us who you used for your ISF cal? Was it Steve Martin? How familiar were they with fixed pixel, DLP or the Sammy DLPs specifically?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:

Originally posted by TWD
HadaSammy,

I'm just the opposite. I hadaSony didn't like the blacks at all. I returned it for a 437W. I had the set calibrated by an ISF tech. I love this set. The picture is fabulous on HD and DVD and fair to very good on SD.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:48 PM

How much does it cost o get the set calibrated?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:41 AM

I miss the days when they had dials behind the TV and all you had to do was set up a mirrior in front of the TV and sit behind it and turn the dials....
Old 01-27-2004, 07:38 AM

My concern about the Sony's and the LCD technology is the fact that you will most likely experience some sort of pixel burn-out as time goes on. The warranty that Sony has for their LCDs and the fact that you have to have so many pixels burnt out in a cluster is terrible. If something prematurely burns out on your screen after a couple of months you should not have to put up with it. It appears to me that both LCD and DLP have their own flaws. I guess you will have to decide if you want one or the other. I'm pretty pleased with my Sammy HLN567W now. Sometimes the picture looks fantastic while other times it leaves me scratching my head. But it has a lot to do with the signal and, with DVDs, it has a lot to do with how the disk was mastered.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 AM

I tried out the DVE DVD last night for the first time with my HLN507w. I watched it with my Bravo D1 via DVI. I only made adjustments to the UM. I have a couple of questions and I apologize if they've been covered, but this is a LONG thread to search.

1. Adjusting Sharpness didn't appear to do anything. Is that right? Is that only the case with DVI?
2. Making the adjustments only effects the DVI input. Should I just write down the settings and use the same settings for the other inputs?
3. When setting the black, I could get it pretty black (at least from this novice's perspective), but you lose a lot of detail in the dark scenes with the black set as suggested in the DVD. Do people have "happy medium" settings for that? (I know this is a common complaint with the Samsung DLPs).
4. As a novice, should I attempt to adjust the grey in the SM? I mean, it looks pretty good to me right now, but I want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my set. I'm not yet prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for a professional calibration, however. Perhaps when I have a new STB.

Thanks in advance!

ÂI hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. -Orson Welles
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Your User Name:

1. Adjusting Sharpness didn't appear to do anything. Is that right? Is that only the case with DVI?

That's pretty much the case for most of us. Some of the earlier sets (HLM models) appeared to have two points at which Sharpness actually effected anything. Personally, now that I have firmware 214, I can't see any change when using sharpness regardless of which input is being tweaked.

Quote:

2. Making the adjustments only effects the DVI input. Should I just write down the settings and use the same settings for the other inputs?

Bad idea. In most cases the differences between types of inputs used will be rather large. For instance, the DVI output on the TS160 STB is notoriously darker than most other outputs... if you were to do what you suggest when using the TS160 through the DVI input, your picture would be practically all black. Each input type should be treated separately. Understand this... the composite videos, S-video and Component 1 480i inputs all share the same user menu settings, IIRC. Component 2 and 3 480p/720p/1080i all share the same, and PC and DVI have there own settings.

Quote:

3. When setting the black, I could get it pretty black (at least from this novice's perspective), but you lose a lot of detail in the dark scenes with the black set as suggested in the DVD. Do people have "happy medium" settings for that? (I know this is a common complaint with the Samsung DLPs).

Tough to pick happy medium settings as each source component as well as WHICH input you are plugged into will make a difference in terms of your PQ. It's really a trial by fire method you need to use when setting this stuff unfortunately. Alot of it has to do with which Gamma setting you are using as well. I suggest Gamma 0 rather than the default Gamma 4. Some people prefer 5, some 2. I believe that most ISF guys were going with 0 though.

Quote:

4. As a novice, should I attempt to adjust the grey in the SM? I mean, it looks pretty good to me right now, but I want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my set. I'm not yet prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for a professional calibration, however. Perhaps when I have a new STB.

I have to wholeheartedly say NO. Grayscale is a tough cookie to monkey with, and the Service Menu is no place to just get into and start hacking away. One thing you will DEFINITELY want to do if you decide to go into the SM is to WRITE DOWN EVERY SINGLE SETTING FOR EVERY SINGLE INPUT BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING!!! Grayscale is not something that you can set correctly with your eyeballs and any one of the calibration DVD's. You need a color analyzer and other test equipment to set this correctly. There are lots of threads on one of the more popular calibration test packages known as Color Facts. Do a search on that and you will come up with more info than you can read in a night. Also, check out www.milori.com for even more info and tutorials.

Hope that helps,
Jeff
Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reply; that helps a lot. What is the gamma setting you speak of? I didn't notice any such seting in the UM. If it is in the SM, is it "safe" to go in and tinker with just the gamma despite your warnings?

ÂI hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. -Orson Welles
Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The Gamma control IS in the Service Menu only, not the User Menu. IMHO, yes, the Gamma setting (0 to 15 on the newest boards, 0-5 on the older boards) is something that can be changed with little detriment if you "screw it up". That being said, caution/discretion is always the better part of valor.

Regs,
Jeff

Quote:

Originally posted by Your User Name:
Thanks for the reply; that helps a lot. What is the gamma setting you speak of? I didn't notice any such seting in the UM. If it is in the SM, is it "safe" to go in and tinker with just the gamma despite your warnings?

Old 01-27-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iceblade
For instance, the DVI output on the TS160 STB is notoriously darker than most other outputs...

Iceblade,

Is this really true? I'd never read this before....I'm currently running DVI from ts-160 and switching cables to run DVI from Bravo D1. I do think dark scenes, especially HD viewing via ts-160 are too dark.

Now, I'm thinking of running component from ts-160 to see if my PQ improves, at least as referenced to "darker scenes".

Dave
Old 01-27-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Yep... I've run across multiple posts both here on AVs as well as on the Home Theater Spot that deal with this. I was HOPING that it was something that might be tweakable within the confined of the TS160's service menu... but we shall see. For the time being, I have abandoned DVI totally for now in favor of component. I hope to be tweaking my Sony HDTV that is now hooked up to the TS160 in the next few days/weekend. I'll let you know about the black issue.

Later,
Jeff

Quote:

Originally posted by holemania
Iceblade,

Is this really true? I'd never read this before....I'm currently running DVI from ts-160 and switching cables to run DVI from Bravo D1. I do think dark scenes, especially HD viewing via ts-160 are too dark.

Now, I'm thinking of running component from ts-160 to see if my PQ improves, at least as referenced to "darker scenes".

Old 01-27-2004, 02:37 PM

Okay, follow up question. How can I set up my HD input (component 3 in my case)? Does it make any sense to plug the DVD player in via component 3 and run DVE? That would only set it up for the DVD player via comp 3, right? It would still be off for the STB via comp 3, right?