post #61 of 2633 Old 05-12-2003, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Originally posted by arungupta
You're right. Les. Samsung has claimed 1% in exchanges with other forum members. I think that people in this forum believe the percentage is higher.

I'm one of them but there is no reliable data. Certainly the forum members have a much higher failure rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2633 Old 05-17-2003, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to buy the HLN437W, but haven't figured out how to get one in Germany yet. The failure rate bothers me, but I am psyched about using it with a HTPC. The only difference with HLN4365W is the color right? I think the 7 is black frame and 6 and a half is all gray?

When viewing 4:3 SD, can you get black bars on the side or are you stuck with gray?
I like black better and I read burn in is not a problem with this display.

Arungupta, Sorry to hear about your 3 blinking lights problem. I can't thank you enough for your guide. It is most excellent. Until my dad red it, I could not convince him why he needed a PC in his living room.

Not to be overly critical, but you have:

The first generation, HML series, was introduced last year

in section A which should be changed to HLM.

Also, you may want to be a little more clear that the HTPC specks are your recommendation for buying/building a new PC for that purpose. Since the display does have VGA input, your existing video card will work for now. I have a Duron 650 with 512 meg 133 RAM (soon to be upgraded) running Win2K server for HTPC and it works fine even with all the other functions running in the background such as domain controller, game server, web server, and more. I would also recommend the keyboard/mouse be RF and not IR like most of them are.

If you can find a black RF keyboard with a built in mouse (preferably joystick rather than touch pad) I would appreciate the URL.
post #63 of 2633 Old 05-17-2003, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Todd, its interesting that you are in Germany. I am going to Munich tomorrow and will be there for a week.

Quote:

The only difference with HLN4365W is the color right? I think the 7 is black frame and 6 and a half is all gray?

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, there is no other difference.

Quote:

When viewing 4:3 SD, can you get black bars on the side or are you stuck with gray? I like black better and I read burn in is not a problem with this display.

The bars are actually black. I'm not aware of any way of changing them to another color.

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your 3 blinking lights problem.

The retailer, PC Richards, took the set back yesterday. It'll either be fixed by next week or they'll give me a new one. I'm concerned about this problem too, and I hope that Samsung gets a handle on it soon.

Quote:

I can't thank you enough for your guide. It is most excellent. Until my dad red it, I could not convince him why he needed a PC in his living room.

You are very welcome.

Quote:

Not to be overly critical, but you have:

The first generation, HML series, was introduced last year

in section A which should be changed to HLM.

Thanks for catching the Typo. I shall update the guide.

Quote:

Also, you may want to be a little more clear that the HTPC specks are your recommendation for buying/building a new PC for that purpose. Since the display does have VGA input, your existing video card will work for now. I have a Duron 650 with 512 meg 133 RAM (soon to be upgraded) running Win2K server for HTPC and it works fine even with all the other functions running in the background such as domain controller, game server, web server, and more. Since my current display does not have VGA input, I recommend the Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card with remote control.

If you already have PC that serves your purpose, then the HTPC recommendations in the guide are not applicable. The recommendations are only meaningful if you are planning to buy a new HTPC. I recommend a mid-range PC to make sure that you buy something that has a decent life before it becomes obsolete. I shall update the guide to make it clear.
Quote:

I would also recommend the keyboard/mouse be RF and not IR like most are.

If you can find a black RF keyboard with a built in mouse (preferably joystick rather than touch pad) I would appreciate the URL.

I believe that Logitech and Gyration are both RF and not IR. Both of them have an excellent mouse, though its not integrated into the keyboard. I have seen a number of integrated mouse/keyboard RF devices, although they all have trackballs not joysticks. I wonder if someone else can recommend a device here.

Hope the weather in Munich is warmer that here in Connecticut. Brrrrrrrr!

Arun Gupta

Arun Gupta  My guides at www.digiupdate.com + threads at AVS Forum:
Selecting a High Def Display: Guide Thread
DLP All Vendors: Guide Thread
Samsung HLN & HLN-W1 DLP: Guide Thread Interview on HLN-W1
LCoS RPTV: GuideNew
DVD Players with DVI or HDMI: GuideNew Thread
HDTV Poll: GuideNew Sat/Cable TV...

post #64 of 2633 Old 05-18-2003, 07:15 AM

What a great thread! I wish I had stumbled across this earlier. I bought my HLN about a week ago. A couple of things I've noticed in general, don't know if it is worthy of guide material or not:

Monitor audio out only appears to work using Antenna and Video 1 composite sources for input?

I believe the Game Cube component outs ($30 option) does 420p. . .I have it hooked up with composites right now and was hoping to read about it in your guide before shelling out the cash. I haven't made it through the cited thread on HD gaming yet, answer maybe there.

In the HTPC section, I was wondering if you have information on VGA cable necessary to connect?

I drive a Hyundai and watch DLP!
post #65 of 2633 Old 05-18-2003, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

netzen7,

Thanks for pointing out the audio out limitation - monitor audio out is only available for RF/Antenna, Composiite Video 1-3, and S-Video 1-3 inputs. I shall add a section in the guide regarding the audio setup to use if you want to use a separate stereo/5.1 speaker system.

Game Cube is just about the only gaming system we don't have in our house - and I didn't come across any threads on connecting it to the Samsung. If you can post your findings and experience with the Game Cube, I can add it to the guide.

You can use an ordinary 15 pin VGA cable that you normally use to connect a PC to a monitor.

post #66 of 2633 Old 05-19-2003, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CNET has just posted a review of HLN617W:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...1.html?tag=dir

Summary:
The good: Slim and light design; excellent connectivity; bright, detailed image; robust, low-maintenance technology; wide viewing angle.

The bad: Expensive; some rainbow effects; black levels not as good as with CRTs

post #67 of 2633 Old 05-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Arungupta - can you add the link to the file to your sig? I'm lazy and don't want to keep going back to page one to get the latest!

Thx!

-Lee
XBL GT: S4Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
post #68 of 2633 Old 05-19-2003, 08:30 PM

I have been unable to find a store with component cables for the game cube. I'll have to order online. . . I did get it hooked up Svid, which is better than composite. Regarding audio, I finally figured out that Svid 2 uses the audio inputs for composite 2. *DUH*

Thanks for the VGA cable tip, I called the store I bought the set from and they gave me the cable at no charge. Was it supposed to be included? I hooked up a PC and surfed from the couch. The computer in the den has lost its wireless keyboard, probably permanently!

I also noted your mention of using a non-progressive scan DVD player. I have a progressive scan unit that I manually disabled. Picture quality improved substantially. It actually looked like I was getting distortion in picture with progressive scan on, and the film choice enabled. I wonder how many people are watching/demoing this unit and seeing what appears to be noise? Is there such a thing as a double decode attempt = artifacts and blur? Or is my phillips progressive player just that bad at 3:2?

I drive a Hyundai and watch DLP!
post #69 of 2633 Old 05-20-2003, 05:03 AM

Here's a black RF Wireless keyboard.
The reviews aren't very reassuring, but this might be the look and feel I am going for.

Versapoint interlink
post #70 of 2633 Old 05-20-2003, 06:45 AM

Could someone confirm the MSRP prices for the HLN sets? From what I've read on some of the other threads the MSRP's are higher -- the 4365 is $3999, and the 467 is $4499. This does matter when trying to negotiate down to a reasonable price (since not all of us are in the NY area :P).
post #71 of 2633 Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by netzen7
Regarding audio, I finally figured out that Svid 2 uses the audio inputs for composite 2. *DUH*

Don´t feel bad. It took me a little while to figure out the SVideo 1-3 are the same as Video 1-3 - just an alternate way of feeding video. I should add it to the guide.

Quote:

Thanks for the VGA cable tip, I called the store I bought the set from and they gave me the cable at no charge. Was it supposed to be included? I hooked up a PC and surfed from the couch. The computer in the den has lost its wireless keyboard, probably permanently!

Happy surfing. People who don´t hook up a PC to their Samsung are missing one of the biggest benefits of the TV. I didn´t get a VGA cable with either of my sets - but I had plenty lying around.

Quote:

I also noted your mention of using a non-progressive scan DVD player. I have a progressive scan unit that I manually disabled. Picture quality improved substantially. It actually looked like I was getting distortion in picture with progressive scan on, and the film choice enabled. I wonder how many people are watching/demoing this unit and seeing what appears to be noise? Is there such a thing as a double decode attempt = artifacts and blur? Or is my phillips progressive player just that bad at 3:2?

Its not double decode attempt - your TV simply does a better job. The DVD players today in general weren´t really designed for this new generation of high definition televisions. The Samsung DLP has top notch circuitry for de-interlacing and scaling - Faroudja 2300 - which few DVD players do.

Another critical feature in a DVD player is to be able to output DVI - creating a fully digital hi fidelity path from DVD to the monitor. Only 2 DVD players in the market do that today. I currently use only the HTPC for playing DVD´s -- our current DVD player has been retired. I´m going to now order the Bravo D1 player to make it easy to watch DVD´s.

Quote:

Originally posted by Zathrus
Could someone confirm the MSRP prices for the HLN sets? From what I've read on some of the other threads the MSRP's are higher -- the 4365 is $3999, and the 467 is $4499.

List price is one of the mysteries on these products. Here are the LIST prices posted by 2 different on-line retailers 1-877amcorder and TV Authority:
HLN4365W $3695 (1-877) $3999 (TVA)
HLN437W $3799 (1-877) $4199 (TVA)
HLN5065W $3999 (1-877) $4499 (TVA)
HLN507W $4199 (1-877) $4699 (TVA)
HLN617W $5299 (1-877) $5499 (TVA)

In the end list prices may be meaningless - only the price that dealer pays are meaninful, but we don´t have access to that info.

Todd, if you try out the integrated keyboard/mouse, can you share your experience.

Arun Gupta

post #72 of 2633 Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Below is the list prices for the January 2003 Samsung press release. I agree list prices are meaningless. An example is for furniture most furniture stores buy can buy furniture for 60% under list. Many department stores work on a 100% markup. What is a fair markup - it depends upon the availability and the overhead of the store.

The HLN467W (MSRP $4,499) and HLN567W (MSRP $4999) will both be available in April.

Samsung's current models include the 43" HLM437W (MSRP $4199), 50" HLM5065W (MSRP $4699), and the HLM617W (MSRP $5,499). National account distribution models include the 43" HLN4365W (MSRP $3,999) and the 50" HLN5065W (MSRP $4,499).
post #73 of 2633 Old 05-23-2003, 11:00 AM

I can not open your guide. Can you help me?
post #74 of 2633 Old 05-23-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by joenash
I can not open your guide. Can you help me?

The guide is in a compressed (zip) file. When you click on the link you will get a download window. Click "save" and select the folder you want to save it into.

You need a program that can extract the contents from a zip file before you can read the guide document. A popular one is "winzip". You can get a copy at shareware sites like:

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/2001-...ml?legacy=cnet
post #75 of 2633 Old 05-24-2003, 01:31 AM

Thanks for all the great info Arun, and I haven't actually read the writeup yet, just read over this thread.

I am looking to get a new tv in the next couple months. I used to own the 36XBR400, but my sister also wanted to get a new set, so I made her an offer she couldn't refuse because I really wanted to get a widescreen.

I was happy with my XBR, so I was going to take the logical step and get the 34XBR800. Then, after reading on this forum, I learn that a new and seemingly superior model is coming out, the 34XBR910.

Then I read about these DLP sets but I have honestly never seen one. My mom has a 42" RP Samsung, and I'm not too happy with its quality.

With my new set, whatever I go with, I really want to set up an HTPC. I have read the XBRs have some overscan issues.

I was wondering if you have any experience comparing this set to any of the XBRs for use as a HTPC monitor. It sounds like this set it better prepared for the task (at least compared to the 34XBR800), but does anyone know if the 34XBR910 will have better support. The DLP is so much more expensive, do you think it is worth it?
post #76 of 2633 Old 05-24-2003, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

rjcarr316, I can't really give you a fair comparison against 34XBR800 or 34XBR920, because I don't have any experience with them.

For use as an HTPC monitor, you may consider issues while comparing the two sets:
- Samsung sets are larger (43 to 61") vs Sony 34"
- Samsung is more expensive - although not much more so. I paid $2500 retail for my second Samsung 43" set. The best price for the Sony 34" seems to be about ~$1900.
- Samsung has a native resolution of 1280x720, and at this resolution, the computer text and the DVD picture are very clear. I don't know about the Sony.
- DLP has no burn-in problems. This morning I saw that my son was using our 61" Samsung for instant messaging last night and its been on all night - and thats OK. The picture will remain at the same brightness with no burn-in spots after years of intense usage like this. CRT TVs have burn-in problems, although not as severe as Plasma.
- Samsung has more inputs. For computer connections, you can choose between DVI and VGA. Sony only has the DVI.
- CRT TVs have better black levels
- When set up as a PC monitor, Samsung has 2 modes - TV-wide mode overscans, PC-wide mode underscans. I don't know about the Sony.

I wanted a large TV, so direct view CRT was not an option. For you the choice may not be as clear. You should test both TV's with a computer before making your decision.

post #77 of 2633 Old 05-24-2003, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Arun ... I agreed with everything, except:

"You should test both TV's with a computer before making your decision"

That is the problem really ... not too easy to bring your PC down to the local Best Buy, and the pain of lugging these monsters (well, at least the CRT ... my 36XBR400 weighed about 275lbs) doesn't make it practical. Luckily this forum has a lot of people that have done such a thing.

My only hesitation about getting the DLPs is the native resolution problem. While 1280 by 720 is nice, I *think* I read the new XBR910 will do 1440 lines horizontally, and maybe the full 1080i vertically (or it may have been only 540). However, most entry level plasmas only have 480 vertical scan lines, so this is certainly a step up from that.

The pricing is not significant enough to really make a difference. I just have to go into Best Buy and get a comparison.

Thanks again.
post #78 of 2633 Old 05-24-2003, 09:32 AM

Don't get confused by "720" v/s "1080" - It is not as straight as it sounds. It is 720P for Progrerssive and 1080i for interlaced. There is enough information on the forum on this, to educate you further. 720P is "better" for moving objects where as "1080i" for steady pictures.
post #79 of 2633 Old 05-25-2003, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

rjcarr316, I know that its hard to do a side by side comaparison of how the 2 sets look with a PC. A laptop perhaps? If you are able to do the comparison, please let us know here.

post #80 of 2633 Old 05-25-2003, 10:47 AM

"There is enough information on the forum on this, to educate you further"

There really is no need to be condescending. I am fully aware of the difference between 1080i and 720p and all the other different formats.

I look at it like this ...

When you pick up a DVD from the store or rental place, I would assume you pick up the widescreen version, or at least the aspect ratio that was in the theater, right? This is because you want to see the movie as it was made, how the director intended you to see it.

I look at these HD sources in the same way. Any company that spends the money to get an HD camera, also most likely spent the money to do their research to determine which format was best for their situation.

Therefore, I would like to view the source as the originator intended. If you can find a set with actually 1080 scan lines, then you are guaranteed to get 1080i and all the other formats.

This is all I meant.
post #81 of 2633 Old 05-25-2003, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by rjcarr316
"There is enough information on the forum on this, to educate you further"

There really is no need to be condescending. I am fully aware of the difference between 1080i and 720p and all the other different formats.

You got some good advice. The "difference" is more complicated than you seem to understand.
post #82 of 2633 Old 05-28-2003, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am back from a trip and will be updating the guide in several areas. I shall post the changes in the threads first and then in the guide. The areas to be updated in the next few days: puchasing pros and cons, price and availability, HTPC recommendations, remote Keyboard/mouse, DVI DVD players, 3 blinking lights problem, stand height, internal reflections, OTA antennas, service menu tweaks.

Arun Gupta

post #83 of 2633 Old 05-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Don't forget that link in the sig! ;D

Also, any chance of just saving the DOC into an HTML file, and foregoing the zip/download/unzip/view in Word process? Just a thought...

Thanks again for the effort!

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
post #84 of 2633 Old 05-28-2003, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Purchasing Pros and Cons
---------------------------------
Worthy alternatives to Samsung DLP TVs are: LCD projection, LCoS projection, and CRT rear projection.

LCD Projection - Sony KF-60XBR800
----------------------------------------------------
I spent the long weekend at a relative's house who has a Sony KF-60XBR800 60" LCD rear projection TV. My wife and I both agreed that 1) Samsung has a much brighter and much more vibrant picture. With Sony you had to close the shades to watch in daytime. 2) Sony has poor black levels - detail in dark scenes was mostly lost 3) Samsung has a much wider view angle compared to Sony - in fact the view angle for Sony was surprisingly narrow - you almost had to sit straight in front 4) Samsung is more PC friendly with VGA input and underscan/overscan option 5) Sony had a more attractive cabinet but takes up more space.

LCoS seems to be a more credible alternative - with new products coming from Toshiba and Phillips. CRT rear projection is a lower priced alternative.

post #85 of 2633 Old 05-28-2003, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lmychajluk
Don't forget that link in the sig! ;D

Also, any chance of just saving the DOC into an HTML file, and foregoing the zip/download/unzip/view in Word process? Just a thought...

Thanks again for the effort!

Imychajluk, what link/sig? How do I do it?

I shall try to convert it to HTML or PDF.

Arun

post #86 of 2633 Old 05-29-2003, 06:17 AM

First, under the new LCD segment you misspelt LCD as LDC in the section header (at least in the copy/paste in this thread).

If you want to put it in your sig, then just go to the first page, copy the URL for the attachment, and then paste it into your signature under User CP->Edit Profile.

If you could convert it to HTML then that would be great -- I wanted to read it a couple days ago on my Linux system, but don't have OpenOffice.org or AbiWord installed on it, so couldn't.
post #87 of 2633 Old 05-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

arungupta,

Click on the little 'User CP' button on the top of the page, then Edit profile. There is a field for 'Siganture', and is added to every post. Copy the URL to your file in there as Zathrus said.

If you have a current version of Word, you should be able to 'Save As' and save the file to HTML format. If you want to go the PDF route, there are a couple of free programs that create PDFs, like this one: http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

-Lee
(Former) MS MVP - Xbox
post #88 of 2633 Old 05-29-2003, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Zathrus or Lee, If I add the URL to my profile signature, it shows on my posts as the URL text not as a link. What do I need to do to make it show as a link?

post #89 of 2633 Old 05-29-2003, 12:43 PM

Try surrounding it with "" and "" (without the quotes).
post #90 of 2633 Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Zathrus, that worked.

I shall change the format of the guide to HTML or PDF later today.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page