My Unofficial Guide to Samsung HLN Series DLP Sets - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 2633 Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I replaced my color wheel for the 2nd time and I was trying to clean all the surfaces of everything because I had spots on the screen. Well I thought the thing right after the color wheel was a clear rectangle piece turns out it is 4 mirrors that make a rectangle light channel and are next to impossible to get back together correctly (think playing card house on its side) I got it back but I have shadows on the left side and the bottom that I believe are because I didn't get the mirrors perfect.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2633 Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Ummmmm, get the mirrors set correctly? If you cannot accomplish that...then I guess you will have to replace whatever part is needed with a new one. Bummer.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #2613 of 2633 Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM

AhHA, it is called a light tunnel http://www.samsungparts.com/Products...l=HLN567WX/XAA
there is supposed to be glue holding all four pieces together - now that makes it a lot easier. My glue evidently disintegrated, I wondered what that dried up orange crud in the bottom of the tray was from.
post #2614 of 2633 Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 12
I have probably a common issue but nonetheless here it goes. About 9 months ago my HLN507W1/XAA (which I had since 2003) started shutting down in the middle of watching after about 1 hour of use. There would be no blinking lights or anything like that. After it would shut down I can immediately restart it and it would work for another 40-50 minutes and would shut down again.

Since the TV is in a bedroom and not frequently used I kind of let it slide. But eventually I wanted to give this TV to my brother and after checking various internet forums I replaced the bulb with a brand new Philips one, reset lamp lifetime counter in the Service Menu and thought that this will cure the ill. But... The only thing that the new lamp fixed was the brightness level and not the shutdown problem. The problem still remains. After hour or so after TV is started it shuts down all by itself. There are screeching noise, no messages on the screen that fans have failed, no red temp warning light blinking of the front. Just shuts down. It can be immediately restarted but the problem still exists.

I don't want to pour a lot of $$ into fixing the TV that can be bought on Craigslist for less than $200. So my question is it the fan(s) or something more costly?
post #2615 of 2633 Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM

Have you tried confirming that all your Fans are in fact running?

Also if the circuit boards are real dusty I have seen systems where they will short out and therefore basicly reset/power off everything.

Do or do not. There is no try.
post #2616 of 2633 Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My first guess would be a fan that is failing and causing overheating, which would cause the shutdown.
post #2617 of 2633 Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM

After a delightful 8 1/2 years I have retired my fully operational HLN437W in favor of a larger LCD flatscreen. Question is, what to do with the retired HLN? A week of advertising on the Boston-area Craigslist brought no offers. I'd hate to put it out for trash/recycling! Surely it is of some value to someone, for parts if nothing else. Any suggestions? I guess I can re-advertise on Craigslist at a much lower price, but if that fails?
post #2618 of 2633 Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlex View Post

After a delightful 8 1/2 years I have retired my fully operational HLN437W in favor of a larger LCD flatscreen. Question is, what to do with the retired HLN? A week of advertising on the Boston-area Craigslist brought no offers. I'd hate to put it out for trash/recycling! Surely it is of some value to someone, for parts if nothing else. Any suggestions? I guess I can re-advertise on Craigslist at a much lower price, but if that fails?

I have the same issue. I can't get rid of it on Craigslist for 175.00. I may donate it for a tax write off.
post #2619 of 2633 Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlex View Post

My HLN617W1/XAA will be 9 years old and that thing is like a good wine as older the better. I change the color wheel and bulb a couple of years ago, some recalibration and better than new. And the cool thing I do the repair and calibration myself. $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
post #2620 of 2633 Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUPE009 View Post

I have the same issue. I can't get rid of it on Craigslist for 175.00. I may donate it for a tax write off.

In regards to donating for the tax write off. I thought of that already. So I contacted the local public library, the firehouse and one of the churches. Guess what? None of them wants a rear projection or CRT TV set. Only flat panel LCD or plasma. How do you like 'em apples? Kind of shocking if you ask to turn down a good TV set that can be used for years to come but it's their prerogative.
post #2621 of 2633 Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Well if you cannot sell or give it away as a working unit, Goodwill normally accepts them as donations to be recycled. They earn money by collecting used electronoics. Many states require the manfacturers to pay for the recycling of used TVs and often the manfuacturers work together and pay companies like Goodwill to collect these so you might also get free pick up.

I see you are in MA, there many of the towns have collection programs.
post #2622 of 2633 Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUPE009 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Well if you cannot sell or give it away as a working unit, Goodwill normally accepts them as donations to be recycled. They earn money by collecting used electronoics. Many states require the manfacturers to pay for the recycling of used TVs and often the manfuacturers work together and pay companies like Goodwill to collect these so you might also get free pick up.

I see you are in MA, there many of the towns have collection programs.

Alas, but I am not in MA. PA is a whole different beast
post #2623 of 2633 Old 12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having a similar issue with my HLN507W connecting to a Denon AVR3311CI receiver via HDMI -> DVI cable. I can get a signal directly from Sat box, cable box, BD player, etc. but when I try to run anything through the receiver I get "Not supported mode", followed by "No signal". I don't even get 480p

Anybody have any success overcoming this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500P View Post

EDID = Extended Display Identification Data

Hi folks, I was wondering if I can get some help here:

*Problem Statement: HLN507W refuses to negociate a 720P resolution with a Nikon D90
DSLR and drops to 480P (D90 set to 720p).

*Equipment: HLN507, DVI-to-HDMI cable, Yamaha RX-V863 reciever, min-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, Nikon D90 DSLR.

*Facts:
- HLN507W displays 720P from multiple sources correctly (Yamaha receiver, Comcast
HDVR, LG Blue-Ray Player etc.) - excepts when connecting to the D90;
- tried different HDMI and mini-HDMI cables (price didn't made a difference to the
results);
- D90 successfully negotiated 1080p and 720p using the same min-HDMI connected to
newer HD sets (Samsung LED series for example);
- tried connecting the D90 directly to the HLN507W using a mini-HDMI-to-DVI
cable/converter: same problem - 480p (Reciever not an issue).

*Research:
- Samsung feedback: "its not the HLN507W issue as it can display 720p from other
sources"
- HDCP association: "doesn't look like an issue with the format/cables";
- Nikon: after 8 months of emails com. with Nikon Japan, I finally recieved some info. that
could make sense. Here is their last answer:
"The issue occurred probably because the D90 did not receive the appropriate extended display identification data (EDID) from the TV.
When a connected device does not indicate 1080i or 720p as its possible format in its EDID, the D90 outputs images in 480p format (minimum video format).
The function is designed so to avoid abnormal display of images on the TV.
If the camera outputs signals which are beyond TV capability, the images are not properly displayed.
Images are displayed on the TV in the format specified with your other HDMI sources, probably because those devices do not check the TV display capability when they output signals."

Does anyone know if the HLN507 supports EDID ?

Appreciate your feedback based on experience/knowledge.
Thanks and Happy Holidays !

post #2624 of 2633 Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM

I too am having a similar problem with a HDMI/DVI connection on my HLN567. I connected a new Pioneer receiver to the HLN with an HDMI cable and it worked fine for about a month and then stopped working. Also a new Sony Blu-ray player worked fine but now won't work with the HDMI cable but will work with component cables. Pioneer says they do not check the EDID only HDCP. My cable box still works fine with an HDMI cable as does an older Panasonic Blu-ray player. I don't get any error message other than the no signal message. I sent the receiver back to where I purchased it and they said it worked fine for them. I tried connecting the Sony Blu-ray to a Samsung computer monitor with HDMI cable and it worked fine on the monitor but I still get no signal message when reconnecting to the HLN.
post #2625 of 2633 Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM

After eight years of heavy use and one color wheel replaced, the lamp in my HLN567W finally blew out. Luckily I had one ready to go in (bought when the color wheel went out). Even though it isn't 1080P, I still love this set.

Roscoe
post #2626 of 2633 Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

After eight years of heavy use and one color wheel replaced, the lamp in my HLN567W finally blew out. Luckily I had one ready to go in (bought when the color wheel went out). Even though it isn't 1080P, I still love this set.

I'm still enjoying my HLN567W and it's still on the original bulb.

Do or do not. There is no try.
post #2627 of 2633 Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM

A few nights ago, while I was watching a movie through netflix, there was a loud pop from the tv then the screen went black. The sound from the netflix movie continued to come through the tv but the screen was black. All three lights on the little control circle were blinking.

I assumed it was the lamp (b/c the screen was black) and ordered a replacement lamp from amazon (some generic brand). I installed it. The tv turns on (but the screen remains black) then makes this soft keee keee sound. The green light on the led circle by the lamp flash but the screen never turns on. Then the tv shuts down and restarts itself making the same keee keee sound. Finally, it shuts down altogether and all three lights (2 green and 1 red) blink a few seconds then all lights remain on for a few seconds before the tv shuts down.

Any suggestions on what is going on? Would really appreciate your input. We purchased this tv in 2002. Thanks.
post #2628 of 2633 Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Sounds like the color wheel may have failed; http://ifixit.com/pdf/ifixit/guide_2406_en.pdf is the resource I used to replace a bad (noisy in my case) color wheel on my HLN a few months back. Along with cleaning the projector lens I had a better picture afterwards also(colors seemed richer with better contrast).
post #2629 of 2633 Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM

I just bought the latest Apple TV and connected it to my office TV (LG 720P HDMI) for a test and it worked great. Then I moved it to my main TV and it doesn't work. Here's my equipment:
  • Samsung HLN567W DLP 720P TV set with DVI input (Note this is a 9 year old DLP that predated HDMI)
  • Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver (HDMI)

I currently connect Sony Bluray and DirecTV boxes via HDMI to the Onkyo; the Onkyo then outputs HDMI through an HDMI->DVI adapter to the TV. Works perfectly.

So I connected my new ATV the same way...and the TV shows "unsupported mode". I thought it may be becasue the ATV was set to 1080P so I took it back upstairs and set it to 720p. I also set the Onkyo to down-res all HDMI inputs to 720p. No change, still shows unsupported mode.

I'm at a loss what to check next...any ideas?

Thanks!

Roscoe
post #2630 of 2633 Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM

If the Apple TV allows it, I would make sure the HDMI output is set to RGB color space. For our HLN I use a 4x2 HDMI matrix switch with built-in audio decoder to switch between sources (I use the TV's audio for everything). A matrix switch might allow the Apple TV to negotiate the handshake properly with the TV to account for the HDMI to DVI connection.
post #2631 of 2633 Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

I just bought the latest Apple TV and connected it to my office TV (LG 720P HDMI) for a test and it worked great. Then I moved it to my main TV and it doesn't work. Here's my equipment:
  • Samsung HLN567W DLP 720P TV set with DVI input (Note this is a 9 year old DLP that predated HDMI)
  • Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver (HDMI)

I currently connect Sony Bluray and DirecTV boxes via HDMI to the Onkyo; the Onkyo then outputs HDMI through an HDMI->DVI adapter to the TV. Works perfectly.

So I connected my new ATV the same way...and the TV shows "unsupported mode". I thought it may be becasue the ATV was set to 1080P so I took it back upstairs and set it to 720p. I also set the Onkyo to down-res all HDMI inputs to 720p. No change, still shows unsupported mode.

I'm at a loss what to check next...any ideas?

Thanks!

I had a similar issue with my Dish DVR and a Denon 3311. The DVR worked fine when connected directly to the TV, but trying to run it through the Denon resulted in "Not supported mode". I wound up buying a 4-to-1 HDMI switch from Monoprice that extracted the audio signal from the HDMI and converted it to Toslink. Hook the Toslink output to your A/V receiver, and the HDMI to DVI cable from the output of the switch to your TV.
post #2632 of 2633 Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM

My DirecTV and Sony Bluray go through the Onkyo just fine...

Roscoe
post #2633 of 2633 Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

My DirecTV and Sony Bluray go through the Onkyo just fine...
And I had no problems with my FioS box or LG BluRay...
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page