AVS Forum banner

My Unofficial Guide to Samsung HLN Series DLP Sets

550K views 3K replies 481 participants last post by  4HiMarks 
#1 ·
This is Version 2.9 of my unofficial guide to Samsung HLN series DLP sets. I have owned a Samsung 61 inch set since December 2002, and another 43" inch set since April 2003. This guide includes information that helped me decide for these sets and then to use them effectively. The information is gathered from myriad threads and posts in this forum, I have just tried to put it in one document.

I shall try to keep this guide up-to-date. If you have information that will benefit others in deciding or using these sets, please post it in the thread and I shall include it in the guide.

http://www.digiupdate.com/P001_Samsu..._DLP_2003.html

Previous versions downloaded ~30,000 times
Version History

Version 2.0 - Major revision

Version 2.01 - corrections, additions to firmware

Version 2.1 - corrections, additions to firmware, connection resolution, Xbox

Version 2.9 - HTML hosted version

Note: For 2004 DLP Models, see http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

See less See more
#2 ·
What a great idea.

I hope you don't get too much flack for a few of your enthusiastic impressions. I plan to spend some time with your guide as I am just now getting started on a HTPC.

My understanding is that some of the HLN characteristics may be different than those you show in your table.

It might help to show the both models for the 43" and 50" sets. I believe that the HLN437, HLN507, and HLN617 have the Charcoal bezel( about 2"). The HLN4365 and HLN5065 models have the silver bezel as you indicate.

From what I have read, the HLN467 and HLN567 will have a brushed aluminum thin silver bezel. I think someone posted the measurements for these two thin bezel models. I'll try to find them. They seem to be about to arrive in small numbers as early as the first week of June.

Is there a way for you to easily update your document at AVS Forums?

Thanks for providing us with a place, especially new members, to find this information.

#3 ·
Thanks, Les. I'll make the corrections.

I believe posts (and attached documents) can be updated by using the edit button at the top right of a post.

Arun

#4 ·
Here is the size information for the HLN567 form this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=567

Thanks to celeron450:

The dimensions listed in the Korean manual (page 41) for the HLN567W are:

1268 mm x 461 mm x 924 mm (WxDxH)

41.5 kg

In the English system this is approximately:

49.9" x 18.1" x 36.4" (WxDxH)

91.5 lbs

celeron450

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
I believe posts (and attached documents) can be updated by using the edit button at the top right of a post.

Arun

I've never tried to use edit to update an attached document. Sounds good.

#7 ·
Yes, I did have the weights reversed. Correcting right now, then I shall test if I can update the doc.

#8 ·
htwaits - thanks for all your input.

Document successfully updated.

I shall keep updating with other corrections and missing info on at least a daily basis until the document reaches a satisfactory level.

#9 ·
Those bezels are still causing trouble.

"I believe that the HLN437, HLN507, and HLN617 have the Charcoal bezel( about 2") not the 2/3" thin bezel.

From what I have read, the HLN467 and HLN567 will have a brushed aluminum "thin silver" bezel not charcoal."

Samsung has created "model" hell!

#10 ·
Good doc, arungupta. I have just some comments about htpc stuff - it might be more useful for people to have estimates on what they can get with particular levels of hardware, rather than making recommendations about very specific configurations (ie, exact speed, mobo, brand of memory, etc). HTPC's are huge subjects unto themselves, obviously.

#12 ·
"After 3-5 years, pay for a cleaning of the lenses on the light engine to clear any residue that may collect on the surface"

How much will this cost? An estimate of the labor involved (how many minutes) and cost should be included in your Guide, so people don't get a bad surprise.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
"After 3-5 years, pay for a cleaning of the lenses on the light engine to clear any residue that may collect on the surface"

How much will this cost? An estimate of the labor involved (how many minutes) and cost should be included in your Guide, so people don't get a bad surprise.

Why not wait three to five years and check it out then?

#15 ·
Posted version 1.2

Thanks for all your inputs.

I am looking for input on specific recommendations on User mode and Service mode adjustments.

#16 ·
I'm still waiting on a pre-ordered HLN567w, so I could be wrong about this...

You mention in your FAQ that the HLM/HLNs are monitors, not TV's, because they don't have built in tuners. I'm not sure if it counts or not, but aren't there built in SDTV tuners (hence, the buttons on the TV to change channels)? You only need an external tuner if you wish to display HDTV signals, right?

I guess the FAQ is going to be a continous work in progress, but thanks for taking the time to put it together!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by lmychajluk

You mention in your FAQ that the HLM/HLNs are monitors, not TV's, because they don't have built in tuners. I'm not sure if it counts or not, but aren't there built in SDTV tuners (hence, the buttons on the TV to change channels)? You only need an external tuner if you wish to display HDTV signals, right?

Lee - you are right - It does have built-in SD tuners. I forgot about them because I haven't used them. I shall upgrade the guide accordingly.

-- Arun

#23 ·
arungupta,

Here are the measurements for the HLN467. They were provided by Celeron450 in another thread.

The dimensions and weight as listed in the Korean manual (page 41) for the HLN467W are:

1047 mm x 399 mm x 779 mm (WxDxH)

33.5 kg

41.2" x 15.7" x 30.7" (WxDxH)

73.9 lbs

#24 ·
Document updated -- version 1.3.

In this version I have added many links to threads in this forum and to other relevant sites.

Still looking for concrete info on service menu adjustments.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
Document updated -- version 1.3.

Still looking for concrete info on service menu adjustments.

We may have to wait awhile or buy someone like KenLand a HLN upgrade.

If Samsung comes through with an upgrade option for the early HLMs then one of the Houston gang may do a new calibration.

Thanks again for your efforts.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits

41.2" x 15.7" x 30.7" (WxDxH)

73.9 lbs

41.2 makes a lot more sense than 40.6" previously stated on another post. I would trust that. Likewise for the weight and the height. On the other hand, 15.7" for the depth (which I would be very happy with due to my space limitations) sounds suspicious because it is the same as for the HLM 43". I would expect it to be a little deeper. On that other post, it said 16.1".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.