Rca DLP - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think most manufacturers are going away from LCD RPTVs. Sony will be going to SRDX(?). Panasonic and Hitachi to DLP. Plus you also have LCOS (Phillips). I don't see any new innovative designs using LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by av_canuck
so I walked into Future Shop (was actually looking at couches), and noticed a RCA DLP next to a Sony LCD (which was actually working), and they were showing the same hockey game in SD. Now, I know you don't buy dlp's or lcd's for watching sd broadcasts - but intill CBC gets fully into HD, us canadians have to make due with SD hockey. So I want to make sure SD on my new tv is at least tolerable.
Now, the tv's - the rca just plain sucked, I couldn't beleive how bad it was. Looked like swarms of bugs around the players (dithering I presume?). The Sony wasn't anything great, but next to the rca, it looked amazing.
Now the tough question - was this difference I saw between the lcd and dlp technologies, or between sony and rca quality.

I have the RCA 50 inch DLP and it looks great on SD or HD. I have never seen a TV setup properly in a display. You need to usually reduce the sharpness greatly and turn the edge enhancement off, as this is also usually set much to high. This contributes to the noise and picture grain and if the picture is over compressed you will notice the compression artifacts much more.

Mike T
post #453 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just received my 50inch Sammy and they picked up the 61inch RCA. Im watching NEMO thru dvi at 720p. I thought i was gonna see a bigger difference than i see. The 11 inch loss so far wasnt worth it. Im feeling like i may go exchange it back but i have to test it on a few more movies first. I cant believe how big a difference that 11 inches makes on my viewing experience. It looks great but i really miss my RCA.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #454 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 06:14 PM

I just had my Scenium (non-BB) 61" delivered this week. I am running DirecTV HD through a hughes HTL-HD (DVI 1080i) and OTA using the built in tuner. The picture is gorgeous in HD and more than tolerable for me in SD. The 720p issue is really inexcusable; RCA should be ashamed. However, I don't see it affecting me with my setup.

Here are some shots of my uncalibrated Scenium...

ST: Enterprise (1080i OTA Tuner)
LL
post #455 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Blue Angels Short on HDNet (1080i DirecTV)
LL
post #456 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 07:19 PM

I made a boo boo. I want my RCA back. This darn Samsung looks awesome in 720p thru the 931 dvd player thru dvi. I am watching Shrek and i have never seen shrek look this amazing. But I had the bb RCA with the anti glare screen and i miss that screen size and the picture quality was almost as good. My wife and kids came home today and were very disappointed. They thought i gave up a lot of screen for a very minor PQ difference. Now i dont know what to do. I miss my RCA and was hoping that my wife would come home and say wow that looks much better. She sat down and went thru all dvd's watching each for about 5 minutes each at 1080i and 720p and only noticed a slight difference on about 2 of 7 dvd's but stated that the difference was in clarity and not at all worth giving up 11 inches of screen for. So now i have eggs on my face. Dazed and confused.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #457 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 08:08 PM

oooh, I knew this was going to happen!

You need to get that RCA back, hook up an HD signal and watch in amazement!

Good luck in your decision!
post #458 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

minime9us ... you could always go back to the original plan and get the Gateway 56". Save some money over the comparable Samsung. I don't care for the looks but I guess it doesn't have other major problems, like no 720p DVI. I guess no one knows about the SM on the Gateway yet. You'd just have to keep the Gateway and not worry about any 15% restock. That, or you should hang it up until you can get a Sammy 61" HLN W1 or the HLP a little later. Somebody's got to give you want you want.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #459 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 08:56 PM

So Kito feel good about keeping your RCA and no matter what you have a good deal. I'm the guinea pig who had a chance to see em both in my home. There's no doubt that the Sammy is absolutely gorgeous displaying 720p thru dvi. My Shrek dvd looked like HD on it. Comparatively the RCA held its own just not as clear. However when i played the Sammy at 1080i it looked just like the RCA PQ wise. Just smaller. The 720p definitely makes a difference but a rather small one and its just in clarity. Colors and everything else look better IMHO on the RCA. The Kicker is that as good as the RCA looks i know it would look just as good if it could play dvd's at 720p thru dvi. I bet the OTA at 720p looks just as good as the Sammy. The price for the 61RCA is the same as the 50Sammy now thats ashamed. If the RCA could accept 720p and it was the same price as the 61inch Sammy I would take the RCA in a heartbeat over it. Although people talk a lot of trash about the RCA the set holds its own very well against Sammy IMHO. Wish i had the 50inch Sammy first and then exchanged it for the 61RCA. I dont believe id be looking back the way im doing right now.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #460 of 1302 Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Kito you made me laugh when you said oooh you knew it was gonna happen. Youre a smart person. My wife said i should have been happy with what i had. The Samsung has a lot to prove to me and now im off to see if it can further make me want to keep it. The best way i can describe it is what my wife said. The 61inch made me feel like i was in a theatre. The 50 inch makes me feel like im watching a tv set.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #461 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 05:50 AM

minime- I guess you have a very discriminating eye. Although I've never seen 720p thru DVI (or component for that matter), the DVD's played thru the Samsung 931 in 1080i are to my eye as good as a picture can get. I don't see any room for improvement.

That being said, I never, ever want to see a 720p signal thru DVI !!
post #462 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minime, now that you know what the Samsung looks like one other alternative is to return the 50" and get a 61" Samsung thru mailorder (such as Onecall or TV Authority) for about the same price. (No sales tax).
post #463 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Originally posted by kito2112
That being said, I never, ever want to see a 720p signal thru DVI !!

Why is that?
post #464 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 AM

Minime...I think either TV is fine. What you experienced I like Kito expected.

The RCA does hold is own.

The 720p issue is not a concern for me. Cable TV is what we use 90% of the time and only ABC and ESPN are sending out 720p and the rest of the HD is at 1080i. My cable box will allow me to set up the signals to come to the TV based on what the TV will display, even in component. Last night's Cleveland basketball game from ESPNHD was as clear as you could ever ask for so I stay confused while I enjoy a great view.

I really do believe RCA's colors are more vivid and realistic than some other brands.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses and whichever one we have we must enjoy the strength and live with the weakness. I guess my wife of 33 years figured that out about me years ago.
post #465 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 09:18 AM

Paulgo i tried that but its around 600 dollars to ship it to Alaska i would have gotten in on the amazon deal but they would not even ship it to me. We argued back and forth but they just would not send me the tv due to my location. Oh and one more thing. My son woke up to watch his daily dose of NEMO and while we were watching it all of a sudden everything turned red. I mean its so red you can only see the eyes of Marlon and when he comes up out of the water to look for the boat the water is red. What that called? I didnt touch anything i was just sitting there watching and voila and it hasnt changed back so i ran upstairs to ask while my son is still watching. Ive heard about the green push but havent really noticed it. This red thing is more than push though. When the blue water is red something is definitely wrong. Help please.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #466 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM

Oh and Kito i only see the 720p difference on animation. THese are some of the movies i tested in 1080i and 720p. Open Range, Best Man, Sea Biscuit, Nemo, Shrek. Shrek has the biggest difference. Nemo was second. Real movies with real people in them have no difference. The difference with Shreck is that it made Shrek look Hidef. The fire from the dragon looked like real fire coming out of the screen. T he dragons eye was like a crystal. And yes i have a very discerning eye. I have 20/15 vision and i usually navigate 2 to 3 street signs ahead when i dont know where im going and looking for something. Im the guy everyone in the car asks is that the street were looking for and i say no its the one 2 blocks away becasue i can read the sign. Then they want to bet me im wrong til we get to it. Then its WOW how did you do that. And its funny you say that you dont want to see 720p cause 1080i is so good. Well the guys who delivered my Sammy yesterday said they had to pick one up before because they complained that it was too clear and they wanted a little grain because it makes the picture look more realistic. So maybe that claim has merit.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #467 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minime, make sure your DVI cable is firmly connectted and make sure your color level is correctly set. Using DVI I don't know what a bad cable would do but I could also be the Samsung DLP or the DVD player.
post #468 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 06:21 PM

Ok Paulgo its red with dvi and component. It wasnt red before and it happened while i was watching a dvd movie. Not after i connected or disconnected something. I checked all the color levels and they are all the same as before this happened. The screen is red even when i go to a blank screen that should be black.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #469 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Well i just left bestbuy and they are bringing my 61inch RCA back and picking up this Sammy piece of work. Still red and would like to watch some dvd's tonight oh well i guess my 27inch 7 year old faithful 250.00 set will answer the call.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #470 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 07:01 PM

Hey ShawnB,
I ordered my RCA Scenium 61" DLP TV (non BB) back in early January and now RCA says that it will be here at the end of April. Needless to say that I'm upset as they originally told me that it would be here by this weekend. When did you order your tv? And oh yeah, one of my old roommates was named ShawnB. You're not from Fort Worth are you?

But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities. The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed. Isaiah 53:5
post #471 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Tmilam: I ordered mine through an ind. dealer on Feb 9th. He said that there was a very limited supply of Sceniums and that it might take until March. Imagine how happy I was when I got the call this week. Hang in there -- it's well worth the wait.

I've never been to Texas, so it must just be a coincidence.
post #472 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minime, perhaps you can get a discount on the RCA since it is now an "open box".

In all seriousness I sincerely hope you enjoy the RCA DLP and when you finally get a HD source connected you will tell us how you like it.
post #473 of 1302 Old 02-26-2004, 09:27 PM

Oh most definitely Paulgo. Im just so surprised at all the comments here and how people who compared the two tv's mostly had opinions that they were so different in PQ. Its so close its crazy. Those opinions had me so wanting to give up the RCA for what i thought was gonna blow me away when i turned it on and would know i had a better picture. But what really disappointed me the most was that the PQ was so close. Id bet if you were me even though you favor the Sammy youd have been feeling a bit cheated. The only Sammy that might be better than a 61RCA is a 61Sammy and that unfortunately i cant get and dont think i would at this point for 1000 more dineros, as at best it barely better PQ if at all. Now im excited that my 61 is coming back home. The Sammy is still playing and red as all get up. Ive never seen anything like it. If you know someone who has had a similar experience let me know maybe they can help me get this thing watchable til my RCA gets back. Letters that are supposed to be black are red. I switched to tv and its red. Any help is appreciated.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #474 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 05:07 AM

I was waiting to see the 61" RCA DLP at the local RCA dealer, they have a good price listed but none in stock and could not tell me when they would get some. I was surprised to see one at the local Circuit City Wednesday night, it looked like they just set it in place,it did have more grain than others by it. However, after reading this thread and the experiences of mimime9us I am even more interested in the RCA. Is the Best Buy model different than the Circuit City model, is one better than the other?
post #475 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 06:44 AM

PaJo:

The units are identical - even the part numbers (HD61LPW42). I saw one at my local CC, and it was beautiful. It was right next to the 60" Sony XBR LCD. The colors were better, and the picture was sharp and smooth on the RCA. It just depends on what the settings are, and on the quality of the source feed and connections.

One thing I did notice, was that 2 adjacent mirrors were stuck in the "on" position, and this was really obvious. I've seen a Sammy with one pixel stuck in the "off" position, and this condition isn't as noticeable.

This is a rare problem that can happen with the TI system, it is not related to RCA or any of the manufacturers. In fact, in RCA's case the TI is already installed in the InFocus Light Engine assy when they receive it.
post #476 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Best Buy model was specially made for Best Buy (it has an anti-glare screen and the internal component are supposedly slightly different (read earlier posts in this thread).
post #477 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Mineme, here in Florida we say "the grass always looks greener.....".
What do you say; "the snow always looks whiter."
post #478 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 09:01 AM

PaulGo:

It wasn't made for BB - it was made for the lower end stores to differentiate the Scenium brand that the higher end dealers will carry. The BB and CC units are the same model number - both have the anti-glare screen. Also, the guy at CC looked up the 50" model (HD50LPW42) for me in the computer, and it shows they will be carrying it. They had no inventory as of yet, but he said it looked like they will carry it in the future.

I'm patiently waiting for the 50" to become available, because I own the 50" Scenium and hate the glare on the screen. I've looked closely at both models (disassembled mine) and see that the Scenium has the same anti-glare screen behind the protective shield. I'm hoping to order the frame from the non-Scenium unit to replace my protective shield - they have the same hole pattern.
post #479 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 AM

Actually my model number is HDLP61W151 but it sounds like you've been poking around enough to know that they are basically the same.
post #480 of 1302 Old 02-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Shawn:

That's because you have the Scenium brand (as do I - mine is HDLP50W151), but the units at BB and CC are non-Scenium and have the model numbers ending with 42.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page