Rca DLP - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1302 Old 11-05-2003, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have compared the Samsung 43" and 46" to the RCA 50" DLP over time. I personally would not buy the RCA. The reason? In my opinion the Samsung looks _tremendously_ better in a side by side comparison. DVDs even look much less clear on the RCA. The more I looked at the RCA, the less I liked about it. Just the reverse for the Samsung. The price of the RCA is tempting, but the picture quality is not.

Richard

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1302 Old 11-05-2003, 07:59 PM

Spacehulkj please email me some pictures when you get a chance? theres always RCA haters on this forum. but if you look closely theres a whole lot of more negative reviews on the sammys DLP's Than the RCA. I guess we all have our opinions
post #93 of 1302 Old 11-06-2003, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Alton, you are comparing a set (Samsung) that has been out for almost two year against the RCA that has only had a handful of sales. Many people have a tendency to like (as a means of justification of the purchase) what they purchase. When the RCA is out in sufficient quantities for over six months and the novelty of the set has worn off, I think we will have a better way to judge this set objectively. I have the Samung 61" DLP for about three months and I am very happy with the set. Does that make it the perfect set - absolutely not. But it has lived up to all my expectations.
post #94 of 1302 Old 11-06-2003, 07:58 AM

In my opinion RCA made a major mistake by putting a highly reflective glass over the screen, thereby negating one of the major advantages of projection over tubes and plasmas. At the PC Richards store on 86th st in NYC , the reflections made viewing dark scenes extremely annoying. The Sammys got it right in this regard
post #95 of 1302 Old 11-06-2003, 04:57 PM

All I'm saying is,"You woulld think after two years of manufacturing DLP"s, Sammy would have ironed out out some of these deficiencys".
post #96 of 1302 Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Originally posted by Alton. M
All I'm saying is,"You woulld think after two years of manufacturing DLP"s, Sammy would have ironed out out some of these deficiencys".

They have and their effort is documented in this forum. The first Samsung DLP that I've heard about in the US was July 2002.

The lamented Panasonic DLP was here about a year before that.
post #97 of 1302 Old 11-07-2003, 05:40 PM

I suggest that you check out Best Buy. I have heard that some 61" RCAs are headed there and they may not suffer from the highly reflective screen discussed in this forum.
post #98 of 1302 Old 11-08-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davids2004
Can someone please list the retailers that carry the HDLP50w151 sets (and soon the HDLP61w151 sets). I am already aware that HHGregg and 6th Ave carries them, but they are too far away. I live in the Washington DC area and the BB, CC, Radio Shacks, and Myer-Emcos in my area dont seem to carry them (even though most carry the Sammy DLPs). Also, what are some reliable websites that sell these sets? Thanks for the help.

davids2004 and AltonM,

Any responses to this locating the RCA 50" DLP in the DC/VA area? I found one at a Radio Shack in Warrenton, VA. I drove 45 mins out there to see it and unfortunately, Radio Shack folks don't know how to properly display a TV... The set was placed right by the front door (I was told to prompt sales as you walk in the door). Unfortunately, all it did was wash out the screen with the sunlight coming in the plaeteglass windows. All I could see was my own reflection for the most part while they tried to demo it with Matrix (too dark!). That highly-reflective surface is a definite detractor.

Anyway, I don't want to cross the RCA off my "Future DLP TV" list just yet. I consider this as a poor environment and want to see it in an audiophile type location. (Tweeter, Myer-Emco, etc). I can't believe the DC Metro area doesn't have this thing available anywhere else! The RCA website is unhelpful as it only lists Radio Shack, WalMart and Sears as locations. Needless to say, WalMart and Sears don't know what I'm talking about when I ask if they carry DLP...
post #99 of 1302 Old 11-09-2003, 04:02 PM

Samnmopp, if you have a grand Furniture store in your area, they carry them. Some of the stores have it connected to the PVR-10 high def recorder, running a 720p loop. pm me if you have any questions.
post #100 of 1302 Old 11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Rumors are that the RCA 61" DLPs are in short supply for awhile, so interested buyers should take advantage now or be prepared to wait a while.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #101 of 1302 Old 11-10-2003, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Best Buy has the 61" RCA DLP. I saw it at 2 different locations. The first location it looked brighter than a 43" Samsung next to it but it looked grainy. I tried to get into the user menu but that button did not work on that set (both on the remote and on the television itself). At the 2nd location I compared the 50" Samsung to the 61" RCA and again the Samsung looked much better (including contrast and clarity). I've seen about 4 different 50" RCA DLPs and 2 61" DLPs and only one of them was not grainy. At that location the RCA rep had set that TV up and it did look good in both contrast, sharpness and blacks. On the new RCA 61" DLP, they did go with the non-glare screen. It had no more glare on it than the Samsung did. The first 61" I saw would have looked good had it not been for all the graininess. Looked much better on the Samsung and the Sony & Panasonic LCDs nearby.
post #102 of 1302 Old 11-11-2003, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I believe many Best Buys have the 61" according to sources.

The 50" may be in short supply until December.

If you are looking for a big DLP, give BB a holler.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #103 of 1302 Old 11-11-2003, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by rogo
I believe many Best Buys have the 61" according to sources.

The 50" may be in short supply until December.

If you are looking for a big DLP, give BB a holler.

Mark

I was in the East Palo Alto BB this afternoon and they didn't have one on display. I didn't ask if they had them in stock since I'm not looking to buy one.
post #104 of 1302 Old 11-11-2003, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the for what it's worth department the December 2003 issue of Consumer Reports has the RCA tube sets as number one for repairs in the 20" to 25 " category, 30" to 32" category and the 34" to 36" category. (in the 36" category the RCA brand had over twice as many problems as any other set! It appears that the more features RCA puts into its set means more problems. So based upon this if you buy an RCA get a very long extended warranty.
post #105 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 07:06 AM

I've checked the BB website and it does not show up there. There are not any on display at the BB in my area either. I just bought the 50" and am very happy with it but was VERY interested in the 61". I'd like to see one anyway. On a side note, the product specifications from RCA still call for the reflective screen on the 61" and not a anti-reflective screen. Are you sure you saw the 61" DLP model and not some other HDTV from RCA? I only ask because it seems that your information conflicts with information I have gathered from other sources about availability not being until mid December at the earliest. I'd just like to see one.

IndplsGuy
post #106 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 09:28 AM

I had a chance to look at the 50" last night. I really liked the unit and I am seriously thinking about blowing my budget and buying one. Expected delivery is 2 weeks.

The OTA HD tuner worked great and was able to bring in locals that his STB (mdl?) could not. SD satellite feeds were ok from about 9' and back. HD, DVD looked awesome.

I noticed something however that bothered me, in some of the dark colored scenes of Monsters INc. I noted what looked like "blocks" of color that were of a different shade than the "block" next to it. The shades would shift. Is this screen door?

I don't think I have ever seen a rainbow on a DLP and did not see anything like that on the RCA. To be honest I'm really not sure what I'm looking for!

The 720P issue seems signifigant to some. I am not sure that I would notice it. Then again, in a couple years I might.

I do like the fact you can controll the front panel blue lite intensity, and the projection lamp intensity.

Remote was ok.

The sales guy is really not wanting to move much on the price. I will have to spend some time bearing down on him to get the $900 off of MSRP that I am looking for. Not a bad looking stand either.

post #107 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 10:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by caddy
I do like the fact you can controll the front panel blue lite intensity, and the projection lamp intensity.

Can someone confirm that you can adjust the projection lamp intensity? I've always thought this would be a great idea...DLPs typically have very bright whites but only so-so black levels and black detail...but if you could turn down the lamp a bit and tweak the gamma curve accordingly, you could darken the black level and increase black detail (via the gamma curve) while sacrificing a little of the max brightness, which is fine by me. I've also wondered if a neutral density filter in the light path would accomplish the same.

Man, sounds like RCA did some things right...if they would just fix the bloody 720p input problem and the reflective screen, I'd buy one!
post #108 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I noticed something however that bothered me, in some of the dark colored scenes of Monsters INc. I noted what looked like "blocks" of color that were of a different shade than the "block" next to it. The shades would shift. Is this screen door?

What you saw is not the "screen door". Did your grandmother have a screen door on any of the doors of her house? The screen of that kind of door is what "screen door" refers too.

When DLP, LCD, LCoS chips or plasma panels are manufactured there is a space between each pixel. The LCoS chips have the finest black lines between pixels. After LCoS, then DLP, LCD and plasma have black lines that increase in width. The pattern of those black lines make up something that looks like a screen door.

With the current models of these technologies you shouldn't be aware of the screen door from a normal viewing distance.

What you saw was a failure to process the image correctly when it was transfered to DVD or it was a failure of the DVD player and/or TV to process the image correctly when it was displayed.
post #109 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by htwaits
What you saw was a failure to process the image correctly when it was transfered to DVD or it was a failure of the DVD player and/or TV to process the image correctly when it was displayed.

Or, it was simple MPEG-2 color banding, part of the MPEG compression algorithm due to limited (15-bit) color depth. This is present to some degree on all MPEG recordings, but is especially noticeable on newer digital displays due to their extreme level of detail.
post #110 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller
Or, it was simple MPEG-2 color banding, part of the MPEG compression algorithm due to limited (15-bit) color depth. This is present to some degree on all MPEG recordings, but is especially noticeable on newer digital displays due to their extreme level of detail.

... and details what can happen when an image is compressed as part of transfering it to a DVD where a lot of the available space is being used for "extra" features.

Digital HDTV shows all whether you want it to or not.
post #111 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 02:08 PM

Superbit rocks!
post #112 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Miller
Can someone confirm that you can adjust the projection lamp intensity? I've always thought this would be a great idea...DLPs typically have very bright whites but only so-so black levels and black detail...but if you could turn down the lamp a bit and tweak the gamma curve accordingly, you could darken the black level and increase black detail (via the gamma curve) while sacrificing a little of the max brightness, which is fine by me. I've also wondered if a neutral density filter in the light path would accomplish the same.

Man, sounds like RCA did some things right...if they would just fix the bloody 720p input problem and the reflective screen, I'd buy one!

The set has two lamp level settings. I think they were "bright" and "lamp save" or something like that.

post #113 of 1302 Old 11-13-2003, 06:52 PM

Quote:

The set has two lamp level settings. I think they were "bright" and "lamp save" or something like that.

Yes, it is brighter picture vs longer life. A subtle difference but I go with the brighter picture.
post #114 of 1302 Old 11-14-2003, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw the 61" RCA DLP at the Pentagon City Best Buy. It definitely has a non-reflective screen. The menu is very user friendly. I don't know what wattage bulb the RCA has but it did not appear as bright as the Samsung 50" which was next to it. The picture was pretty good with no apparent distortion. I played around with the picture controls for about ten minutes but the colors did not seem as vivid as the Samsung. The only thing that really bothered me was the flesh tones - it appeared to have "noise" in it. This should not happen with a digital signal but it is similar to an analog signal that is slightly weak. Again playing around with the controls did not solve this problem and the Samsung (and other digital projections sets) did not exhibit this problem. The set is priced at $100 less than the 50" Samsung. Would I buy the RCA - probably not but it makes the Samsung appear overpriced, so hopefully Samsung will lower their price.
post #115 of 1302 Old 11-14-2003, 12:21 PM

I think one probelm to be expected with the RCA 61" is the brightness vs. even their own 50". From what I've figured out, te 61" uses the same bulb with the 50" and the 61". Bigger TV with more screena rea and same wattage bulb has to mean less bright picture to some degree. I have the 50" and am VERY happy with the PQ and brightness. Some are concerned about the reflective screen on the 50" but it really is a matter of preference. I think it gives the 50" RCA a brighter and sharper looking picture than the 50" Sammy. However, I don't have huge reflection issues in my viewing area. I do get some on very dark scenes but otherwise it isn't very noticeable at all.

IndplsGuy
post #116 of 1302 Old 11-14-2003, 05:46 PM

From what I understand, The 61" you are seeing at BB is a made for BB model. It doesn't have the Scenium brand label on it, only the RCA label. The Scenium version has the same reflective screen as the 50". Don't know if there are any differences other than the screen between the two models. The reflective screen also enhances picture contrast and sharpness.

Things are never so bad they can't get worse!

REB
post #117 of 1302 Old 11-16-2003, 10:37 AM

That was confirmed for me yesterday. The 61" RCA label will ship with a non-reflective screen, and the Scenium will have the reflective protective screen. It wasn't clear if its just that they don't put the extra protective screen on the RCA (that's what makes it shiny)

They would not say whether the 50" will be changed to a less reflective screen in the future.

In fact, they were defending that contrast point made by RBenson. But IMHO, the reflections make it so hard to see the screen that the higher contrast doesn't matter. In any case it's not clear that RCA considers this to be a problem.

They did suggest that the 61" delays are due to problems with cutting and applying the large screen. Very time consuming and tricky to get right.
post #118 of 1302 Old 11-16-2003, 02:57 PM

It sounds like RCA has been paying attention to this site. I wonder if they will make the 50" in two screen versions. It also makes you wonder if they are trying to fix the 720p issue. It may not have a huge role in overall PQ, but it is clear that many people do not like that issue. If they do these two things, I will more than likely buy the RCA. I have not been able to see an RCA in person in New Orleans. BB and CC have not had the sets as of yet. I wonder when they will be commonly available? Are there only two people on the site that have the RCA DLP?
post #119 of 1302 Old 11-16-2003, 05:11 PM

make that three! I love my RCA DLP
post #120 of 1302 Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Another 50" DLP owner. The only bad thing so far is the slow tuner(s), but the guide is quick and I use it for cable. The High Def broadcasts are great and amazing. The DVR10 Works well, but only records digital sources. The interesting phenomenon for me is watching okay-to-poor content just because the picture is great. This probably a subject for a new thread. I'm waiting for the new Digital Cable box to be released into the area within the next few weeks.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page