Chromecast on RPTV? HDMI splitter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chromecast on RPTV? HDMI splitter?

Is anyone using Chromecast with their RPTV? How's it working?

I have a Hitachi 51F59 and the one single HDMI input is hooked to my DVD player. Not sure why that is, the DVD player goes through my Onkyo HTR, but my Dish DVR, also hooked to the Onkyo, is using component to the TV. BUT, if I had a good reason to use HDMI years ago, maybe I could get a splitter for a Chromecast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmembrified View Post
Is anyone using Chromecast with their RPTV? How's it working?

I have a Hitachi 51F59 and the one single HDMI input is hooked to my DVD player. Not sure why that is, the DVD player goes through my Onkyo HTR, but my Dish DVR, also hooked to the Onkyo, is using component to the TV. BUT, if I had a good reason to use HDMI years ago, maybe I could get a splitter for a Chromecast?
I'm using this HDMI switch, although not on my RPTV, and it has worked flawlessly for years. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work similarly on your RPTV.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser25 View Post
I'm using this HDMI switch, although not on my RPTV, and it has worked flawlessly for years. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work similarly on your RPTV.
Thanks Hoser, interesting. Amazon US doesn't have that unit but they do have another Fosmon splitter, extremely popular. Both descriptions say basically the same thing, "Automatic switching function - selector hub automatically switches to the device that is powered on first" - so then on the splitter the question reverts to a "powered on" question. I'm hoping for a device I can LEAVE plugged in behind my TV and simply switch the TV's Input to that source. The current setup is Input #1 for DVD. The DVD does have a Power button so obviously it's not going to always be powered. But does the Chromecast have an on/off button on its remote? Maybe someone knows how this could work?

Also, I'm not hooked to the idea of Chromecast. If Roku or FireTV could port my local media files that would give me some choice.

Also, I don't want to go for the splitter until the Chromecast-to-RPTV question has at least a decent if not definitive answer.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I leave the switch plugged in. It defaults to the first port (my dvd player), but if there's no signal it switches to #2 automatically (my Chromecast).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser25 View Post
I leave the switch plugged in. It defaults to the first port (my dvd player), but if there's no signal it switches to #2 automatically (my Chromecast).
OK, thanks again, I bet mine would act the same.

If anyone else is reading this thread, my specific ...cast-to-RPTV concern is OVERSCAN. My Dish Hopper 3's newer software makes the picture a bit too big for my Hitachi, no fix available. The result is mangled off-screen captions and chyrons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page