Mitsubishi rear projection (WS-73711): need help with alignment after new conv. chip - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mitsubishi rear projection (WS-73711): need help with alignment after new conv. chip

I have a Mitsubishi WS-73711 (73 inch rear projection CRT - 1080i). Every few years, the convergence chip blows out. I replace it recently, but I can't get it to look as great as when it was new. I don't think there is a problem with the chip, I just imagine it needs to be aligned after replacing the chip.

I align the red/blue using the user menu, but the green is off, and you can't align green. The quality looks somewhere between SD and HD, even when on HD programming (coming from the cable box on component). When blue titles come on at the bottom of the screen (like when watching NHRA drag racing) I can't read them they are so blurry.

This TV is a little old, but I like it. What can I do to:
  • Align it after replacing the convergence chip
  • Focus it (it seems to be a bit out of focus, but that could be the convergence alignment)
  • Make it look decent again

I can't seem to find any advanced alignment proceedures online since this is an older set.

Also, what blu-ray test pattern DVD should I use when aligning?

Thank you,
BeachTech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-18-2017, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Try treasurechest.net for a service manual for your set. It will have the procedures for geometry alignment, and warnings about the values that must not be exceeded for certain parameters in the service menu. This is critical, as when any of those values is taken beyond limits, the pico fuses in the convergence circuit will blow and the set will shut down. Replacing the fuses won't help, because the bad values will be automatically saved to the set's non-volatile memory when it shuts down. So when the set is powered up after fuse replacement, they blow again. Immediately. Rinse and repeat. An alternative is to hire @Mr Bob from this forum to come and do the ground-up geometry for you. He is a past master with these TVs and can get yours looking like new.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 08-18-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page