Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 430 Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, if this isn't the right spot for this, colud someone please point me in the right direction.

I just inherited a 51F510 from a friend. The screen is growing dim, picture looks okay. From what I gathered so far, it could be a board? Please advise and thanks for havnig such an amazing forum.
post #423 of 430 Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue315 View Post

Hi all, if this isn't the right spot for this, colud someone please point me in the right direction.

I just inherited a 51F510 from a friend. The screen is growing dim, picture looks okay. From what I gathered so far, it could be a board? Please advise and thanks for havnig such an amazing forum.

Best bet might be to post this question on the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread here on the RPTV forum. Get to most of the CRT-related traffic there.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #424 of 430 Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr-rabbit View Post

Where does one obtain this item? There's a posting in HDTVoice that's sup-
posed to lead to a site that has them, but the link is bad (and has been bad
for months...).

I have the 53SWX10B.

Thanks!

If you have the service manual & said manual has a picture of the DCAM groid w/ dimensions (the newer Hit CRT RPTV sms I've seen do), you might be able to dump the image w/ dimensions onto Adobe and do a .pdf of it. Then take the file to Kinkos (or other print shop w/ an AutoCAD) and get a full size version printed on either clear mylar or translucent vellum.

A guy who had a Hit F59 did this & posted them on the F59 Tweaks thread way back in Feb 07. Unfortunately, the F59s only come 51, 57, or 65 inches.

If I can come across the old Hitachi Pocket Convergence Guide (used by techs for various CRT RPTV models) and it has the jig w. dimensions, I can PM it to you.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #425 of 430 Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeff, that convergence guide is downloadable from my site, look back at the front page of the tweaks thread.
post #426 of 430 Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

Jeff, that convergence guide is downloadable from my site, look back at the front page of the tweaks thread.

Even better. Thanks, Lee.

post #427 of 430 Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM

Thanks, will do.
post #428 of 430 Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Bumping a very old thread, but looking for info...

I have an ancient 61SDX01B, still works.

I'd like to get rid of the gray bars when watching 16:9 content, they are annoying and always have been, and I'm obviously beyond caring about burn-in on this old fossil.

Is there any way to do this via the Service Menu? I see a very tempting looking option called "FRMBRT" but it's locked at 60 and doesn't allow changing.

Ideas? I'm tempted to block them out with black duct tape but occasionally I still need 4:3.
post #429 of 430 Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboicey View Post

Bumping a very old thread, but looking for info...

I have an ancient 61SDX01B, still works.

I'd like to get rid of the gray bars when watching 16:9 content, they are annoying and always have been, and I'm obviously beyond caring about burn-in on this old fossil.

Is there any way to do this via the Service Menu? I see a very tempting looking option called "FRMBRT" but it's locked at 60 and doesn't allow changing.

Ideas? I'm tempted to block them out with black duct tape but occasionally I still need 4:3.

HAHA I also have an ancient 46" Hitachi (so long ago can't even remember the model number...maybe it's in my sig? ), and for me it was a simple menu option for the color of the bars. I'll take a peek and reply with exactly where I found it (if I can find it!).

EDIT: sorry I realize I was thinking about the 4:3 bars on SD content. Are you positive it is not an option in either your DVD player menu options or your cable provider options (if you are using Verizon/Comcast/Satellite)?
post #430 of 430 Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

No, I'm sure it's the TV.

This is a 4:3 HDTV with only two aspect settings, 4:3 and 16:9.

When you switch to 16:9, you get the anti-burn in bars across the top and bottom, in grey. Obviously annoying, I put up with them when the TV was new but now it's just a basement TV for the kids.

I have it connected to a MythTV box (HTPC) which is outputting 1080i via component, so I use the 16:9 aspect ratio and the image looks fine and is the right ratio.

Just would like to make the grey bars black, don't care if the TV burns away. But the kids still sometimes play VCR tapes or WII games in 4:3 so I can't just duct tape them over.

Sadly, I could also set up MythTV to output letterbox so I could set the TV to 4:3 and then it would look fine, with black bars supplied by the HTPC. However every time you turn the TV off the aspect ratio for 1080i goes back to 16:9 and it's a pain to keep finding the remote just to press the aspect button once.

Solving that problem would also be acceptable, just want to make it kid-friendly with the fewest buttons required.

Thanks for the reply!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page