post #3841 of 3890 Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie patooty View Post

Hello,
It has been awhile since I posted. I have an issue with my KF60WE610 that I am hoping you can help me with. When we turn on our tv the green light flashes on the power/stand by light 3 or 4 times with a loud buzzing sound and then it goes to a blinking red light that blinks 5 times and the tv won't turn on. Could this be a warped lamp access door problem or a bulb problem? I haven't looked at the door to see if it is warped or damaged yet. I know that when the standy by light blinks red 5 times ti means the lamp driver is faulty but I am wondering if the lamp driver is faulty due to the lamp warping the access door or the driver itself? Could these be related? Hoping to have my tv fixed covered under the warranty for the lamp access door since i don't want to pay for the lamp driver to be replaced. Let me know if you have had similar problems and what the fix was. Thanks so much!
(my husband thanks you too since Super Bowl Sunday is coming up quick!)

*** Update****
I wanted to let you know how we solved our problem. We did not have any lamp door warping. We did however remove the current lamp to check, while we were there-we cleaned the dust from the inside of where the lamp sits, and we put the lamp back in and put the tv back together. Ever since, we have not had a problem with the TV powering on or giving us the 5 red blinking error codes. We think that somehow, when they replaced our optical block (that's a whole different story) years ago-they must have knocked something out of whack and we tightened it up. We have a replacement lamp on hand just in case in the future if our current lamp burns out but for the record-we have been using the same lamp since 2003. We watch tv on average for about 3 hours a day. I think we must have some kind of super lamp to last this long. Anyway-thanks for all your ideas and help. I am really hoping that our tv doesnt' decide to warp the lamp door a month after that warranty runs out. So cleaning out the dust/reinstalling the lamp solved our buzzing poweron problem this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3890 Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie patooty View Post

*** Update****
I wanted to let you know how we solved our problem. We did not have any lamp door warping. We did however remove the current lamp to check, while we were there-we cleaned the dust from the inside of where the lamp sits, and we put the lamp back in and put the tv back together. Ever since, we have not had a problem with the TV powering on or giving us the 5 red blinking error codes. We think that somehow, when they replaced our optical block (that's a whole different story) years ago-they must have knocked something out of whack and we tightened it up. We have a replacement lamp on hand just in case in the future if our current lamp burns out but for the record-we have been using the same lamp since 2003. We watch tv on average for about 3 hours a day. I think we must have some kind of super lamp to last this long. Anyway-thanks for all your ideas and help. I am really hoping that our tv doesnt' decide to warp the lamp door a month after that warranty runs out. So cleaning out the dust/reinstalling the lamp solved our buzzing poweron problem this time.

Glad you got it working again.

I hate to rain on your parade but wanted to let you know that you may not be completely out of the woods. Back when I had my lamp driver issue, I could occasionally get it to fire up by removing and reinserting the lamp. There was a time when I kept the front panel off because I would have to do this so often.The condition kept degrading however and eventually no amount of lamp reseating would get it to fire.

Hopefully this isn't the case for you.
post #3843 of 3890 Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM

Just finalized my replacement LCD 46HX701 for under $80 to replace my GIII 42" which has these nice blue lines from left to right. $80 for some people is a tank of gas...
post #3844 of 3890 Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM

So I called in today to see what Sony would do about the blue bob on my KF60WE610. They offered, all in the 55" size:

EX710: $625
HX800: $1,575
NX810: $1,060

First, I'm not sure that I want to downsize, in fact, the wife wants something bigger.

I definitely do not want a glossy screen, I'll have to look into which ones are, those would be a no go.

I feel comfortable purchasing a refurb of my optical block for $200 and doing the install myself, but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and upgrade. My current block has no dead pixels.

For those who have upgraded, is it a no-brainer to get one of the newer sets? Are they really that much better? I guess I'm kind of attached to this hunk of plastic and would not know what to do with it if I got another set.
post #3845 of 3890 Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post

So I called in today to see what Sony would do about the blue bob on my KF60WE610. They offered, all in the 55" size:

First, I'm not sure that I want to downsize, in fact, the wife wants something bigger.

I definitely do not want a glossy screen, I'll have to look into which ones are, those would be a no go.

I feel comfortable purchasing a refurb of my optical block for $200 and doing the install myself, but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and upgrade. My current block has no dead pixels.

For those who have upgraded, is it a no-brainer to get one of the newer sets? Are they really that much better? I guess I'm kind of attached to this hunk of plastic and would not know what to do with it if I got another set.

Email back the Sony listens and put att Sarah Kepler and your event I'd#. Tell her you would like a quote fir a 60 inch as that is what you have now. She will email you back with another offer.

The only tv that does not have the reflective screen on your offer is the 710.

Yes, I'm extremely happy with my replacement set and for me I went up 5 inches. My defective set was kdf 55wf655 to the new set kdl 60ex700.
post #3846 of 3890 Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post

Athough I wouldn't classify it as a no-brainer, TV technology has come a long way in the last 8 years. Based on my experience moving from a WE610 to the EX710 you will definitely notice a huge improvement it contrast. I thought my WE610 still had a great picture, but next to a new LCD TV it looks dull and fuzzy. Blacker blacks, better detail in dark/shadow scenes. 1080p resolution is nice. If you will take advantage of it, the HDMI connectivity, internet TV options (Pandora, Netflix, streaming content from your PC) are also a great upgrade.

Potential downside--if you check out the EX710 thread you'll find plenty of complaints about the uneven backlighting of an edge-lit LCD (flashlighting). The viewing angle is also worse than the old LCD RPTV. In most cases if you're directly in front of the set it looks great but if you move off to the side much it goes downhill in a hurry. Speakers don't sound as good either (may be a moot point if you use an external system for sound).

If you haven't yet, check to see if you have any signs of lamp overheating. If so you might get an even cheaper option from Sony.
post #3847 of 3890 Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM

I have gotten an offer for both a 60ex710 and nx810. I will try to check them out this weekend, hopefully BB has them on display.

I have not competely ruled out doing a self-fix, but John Bretton doesn't return my email.
post #3848 of 3890 Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Well, I was able to get to the SonyStyle store and take a look at all the latest offerings. Looks like I'm going with the NX810, that picture is astonishingly good. The clarity is unbelievable. I highly recommend anyone given the opportunity to purchase one to do it. The EX710 beside it lagged significantly in picture quality. The matte screen, as in my old 60WE610, was probably the reason. I noticed the same when I upgraded from the GWII, without a matte screen, the non-matte surface just offers a clearer, more detailed picture. I'll just have to live with the reflections, if indeed they will be there, when placed in my room.
post #3849 of 3890 Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Just got my TV on the weekend... Seems instead of the 46HX701 they sent me a 46EX620 instead for under $80. Can't complain. Glad I didn't have to pay so much as others are being offered. Anything over $100 I would be thinking of joining the lawsuit. We dropped $3500 for these GIII and they want us to drop more $$$ on new ones. I'm just glad everything is done.
post #3850 of 3890 Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM

It's been awhile since I've been here, but checked in because of bulb/lamp issues with my 60WE610. The original lamp went out yesterday and when I put in the new one (had one sitting in the closet already), it made a buzzing sound and would not light up. Not to mention I also noted the melting issues that these sets are known for, that you don't see until you open it up to change the lamp. So now returning to this forum which has helped me so much in the past. I found the facebook link for the defective Sony TV's and have sent an e-mail to see if they will help with the problem. So far this set has been a good TV, only minor issues. Now to wait for Sony to contact me and see where it goes. Thanks to all for keeping this thread going....

I don't know nothin, go ahead, ask me.
post #3851 of 3890 Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvincbr View Post

It's been awhile since I've been here, but checked in because of bulb/lamp issues with my 60WE610. The original lamp went out yesterday and when I put in the new one (had one sitting in the closet already), it made a buzzing sound and would not light up. Not to mention I also noted the melting issues that these sets are known for, that you don't see until you open it up to change the lamp. So now returning to this forum which has helped me so much in the past. I found the facebook link for the defective Sony TV's and have sent an e-mail to see if they will help with the problem. So far this set has been a good TV, only minor issues. Now to wait for Sony to contact me and see where it goes. Thanks to all for keeping this thread going....

You didn't mention what flashy codes you were getting from the front LEDs.

That heat and warping causes other problems too. I'd check to make sure that the lamp is meeting the connector. Look in the lamp hole at the connector and make sure it hasn't broken off or been damaged otherwise.

When you put the lamp hole cover back on, there's a peg on the cover that has to hit the door switch just right or the tv won't come on. The heat warps that too so it can miss the spot. The peg will droop from the heat.

Is the lamp a good Osram or Phillips? Not a Chinese knock-off? Is the connector clean?
post #3852 of 3890 Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM

I did look inside the lamp area and there are signs of excessive heat. I did not notice the pin that the door pushes to be drooping or otherwise, I've had to pull and reseat the lamp to get the set to come on a couple of times. The lamp is the Sony XL-2100U. And I'm not sure what codes were flashing, it was a constant flash of the red lamp light when the set does not turn on after buzzing two or three times.

post #3853 of 3890 Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvincbr View Post

I did look inside the lamp area and there are signs of excessive heat. I did not notice the pin that the door pushes to be drooping or otherwise, I've had to pull and reseat the lamp to get the set to come on a couple of times. The lamp is the Sony XL-2100U. And I'm not sure what codes were flashing, it was a constant flash of the red lamp light when the set does not turn on after buzzing two or three times.

The red lamp light flashing means a bad lamp, and the buzzing sound is the lamp ballast trying to light the lamp. It tries a few times and then declares the lamp bad.

If it was the door switch you would get different lights. Are you real sure that the lamp you are trying is new? Are the contacts clean and not corroded?
post #3854 of 3890 Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Thinking about it now, the lamp that I'm thinking is new, is probably my old one that I saved as a spare. I think that is why I replaced it, it was making that buzzing sound.

post #3855 of 3890 Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Just a heads up guys. I recently had my KF-42WE610 go bad. The screen has turned green. I had been through this before with a KDF-46E2000, so I knew it was the OB gone bad. I had the previous tv replaced by Sony at a discount so I figured I'd go this route with this television too since it was the same problem. I contacted the woman via Facebook and got my event number. I then called Sony and was offered these televisions.

KDL55EX720 $810.00 local sales tax
KDL46EX720 $550.00 local sales tax
KDL40EX720 $450.00 local sales tax

I was actually in the market for a 3d television set, so I opted for one. They basically require me now to send them a picture of the television exhibiting the problem, which they did before, and the tag from the back of the television. This time though, they are requiring the event number be in the picture. Has anyone done this? I'm guessing they just want it at the bottom of the television? I don't want to mess this up, so I'm curious if anyone has any examples they can post if they've done this before. DON'T POST YOUR ACTUALLY EVENT NUMBER I'm guessing someone might be able to use that, but rather just an example for me and future readers to go by. You can probably just blur out your number or just put a piece of paper where it should be. I appreciate your help guys and I hope my experience helps you guys out too. Real bummer these rear projections from Sony don't last.
post #3856 of 3890 Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoen1c1an View Post

Just a heads up guys. I recently had my KF-42WE610 go bad. The screen has turned green. I had been through this before with a KDF-46E2000, so I knew it was the OB gone bad. I had the previous tv replaced by Sony at a discount so I figured I'd go this route with this television too since it was the same problem. I contacted the woman via Facebook and got my event number. I then called Sony and was offered these televisions.

KDL55EX720 $810.00 local sales tax
KDL46EX720 $550.00 local sales tax
KDL40EX720 $450.00 local sales tax

I was actually in the market for a 3d television set, so I opted for one. They basically require me now to send them a picture of the television exhibiting the problem, which they did before, and the tag from the back of the television. This time though, they are requiring the event number be in the picture. Has anyone done this? I'm guessing they just want it at the bottom of the television? I don't want to mess this up, so I'm curious if anyone has any examples they can post if they've done this before. DON'T POST YOUR ACTUALLY EVENT NUMBER I'm guessing someone might be able to use that, but rather just an example for me and future readers to go by. You can probably just blur out your number or just put a piece of paper where it should be. I appreciate your help guys and I hope my experience helps you guys out too. Real bummer these rear projections from Sony don't last.

Which TV did you go with... I am in the same boat... thinking the 46". Are they supposed to be any good?
post #3857 of 3890 Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM

I went with the 55" even though it was a bit pricey.

From what I can gather the TV is very nice. Cnet's review was harsh, and every other review I've read since coming across theirs has been very positive. The 3d does show some transference, but the 2d is supposed to be very clear. All reviews have noted though that there is definite clouding issues due to the backlit LED. I already have one and it's not an issue (kdl-46nx700). There is no wifi, but it does have the built in transmitter for active sync 3d. The glasses come seperate though, at a whopping 150 a pop I'm going to search the forums and see if there is a cheaper alternative. Which size are you thinking about? Cheers.
post #3858 of 3890 Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoen1c1an View Post

I went with the 55" even though it was a bit pricey.

From what I can gather the TV is very nice. Cnet's review was harsh, and every other review I've read since coming across theirs has been very positive. The 3d does show some transference, but the 2d is supposed to be very clear. All reviews have noted though that there is definite clouding issues due to the backlit LED. I already have one and it's not an issue (kdl-46nx700). There is no wifi, but it does have the built in transmitter for active sync 3d. The glasses come seperate though, at a whopping 150 a pop I'm going to search the forums and see if there is a cheaper alternative. Which size are you thinking about? Cheers.

Thanks for the info!

My offer was as follows:
KDL40EX720 - $450 + tax
KDL46EX720 - $575 + tax
KDL55HX800 - $1000 + tax

I am thinking the 46" is the best bang for the buck but I am still not too thrilled about spending ~$650 for a new TV... Do they charge shipping?

They say that I have 1 week to decide... not thrilled about that either.
post #3859 of 3890 Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM

hey folks,

New here. I have a 2003 vintage 60" GWIII. I just started experiencing the "buzz" issue on startup (TV won't turn on green light blinks and get a solid Lamp LED). I seem to recall having an issue back when I first purchased this and the tech replaced a lamp driver (I think). The thing is , my bulb finally dies in January of this year and I replaced it with a backup OSRAM I had purchased several years ago (but never used). The buzz issue started shortly after replacing the bulb (although I saw a significant picture quality improvement with the new bulb).

The buzz problem has only happened about 6-8 times since January. usually, I just unplug the set then it will start up ok. But last night that didn't work. So I re-seated the lamp and cleaned out the dust and light corrosion (not really bad). Started right up after that.

So, I'm sure this will continue to degrade over time. Does anyone know if this problem is fixable by myself? Is there a part number (lamp driver) that I can order if this is a DIY project?
post #3860 of 3890 Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 PM

I'm having a problem with my KF42WE610. When I try to power it up, the green light flashes on the power/stand by light 3 or 4 times and then red light blinks 6 times and the tv won't turn on. After I press the power button 6-10 times it will eventually power up and work fine. Could this be related to the warped lamp door problem? I did replace the bulb for the first time about 2 years ago. If it isn't related to the bulb heat problem, do you have any idea what it could be and what it may cost to have it repaired. I still like the set and don't have any other issues with it.
post #3861 of 3890 Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by holabr View Post
I'm having a problem with my KF42WE610. When I try to power it up, the green light flashes on the power/stand by light 3 or 4 times and then red light blinks 6 times and the tv won't turn on. After I press the power button 6-10 times it will eventually power up and work fine. Could this be related to the warped lamp door problem? I did replace the bulb for the first time about 2 years ago. If it isn't related to the bulb heat problem, do you have any idea what it could be and what it may cost to have it repaired. I still like the set and don't have any other issues with it.
How old is your lamp? If it has been in use for quite awhile, it may be failing.

If you have the lamp overheating problem, there is an extended warranty that still covers that issue through March of 2012. Examine your lamp door, and then remove the door and lamp and look at the frame of the TV in the area surrounding the lamp. If there is no melting, cracking, or warping, then you do not have the problem. If only the lamp door is affected, then Sony must repair it free of charge. If the affected areas include the frame around the lamp area, then Sony will likely be unable or unwilling to repair it, and then they must provide you a replacement TV free of charge. See my web site for details: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...rheating-issue

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #3862 of 3890 Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Email back the Sony listens and put att Sarah Kepler and your event I'd#. Tell her you would like a quote fir a 60 inch as that is what you have now. She will email you back with another offer.

The only tv that does not have the reflective screen on your offer is the 710.

Yes, I'm extremely happy with my replacement set and for me I went up 5 inches. My defective set was kdf 55wf655 to the new set kdl 60ex700.

Can you tell me how much was the 60 inch quote?
post #3863 of 3890 Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM

How can i get these parts? Or i have to buy the whole engine light?
post #3864 of 3890 Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidos View Post
Thanks for the info!

My offer was as follows:
KDL40EX720 - $450 + tax
KDL46EX720 - $575 + tax
KDL55HX800 - $1000 + tax

I am thinking the 46" is the best bang for the buck but I am still not too thrilled about spending ~$650 for a new TV... Do they charge shipping?

They say that I have 1 week to decide... not thrilled about that either.
About a year ago, I noticed a couple of small purple dots appear in the top left corner of the screen, but they were relatively small and I assumed that I wouldn't have any options for a fix since the TV was 4.5 years old. About 6 months ago I had to replace the lamp, I think that was $150 or so and I don't recall any noticeable melting but I am not sure that I would have necessarily looked for it back then either. No other problems until earlier this week when the green tint showed up.
When i called Sony I received the following offer:

KDL46BX421 @ $325 + tax

KDL55EX710 @ $650 + tax

KDL40EX720 @ $450 + tax

I saw on another site where some users were advising they received better offers so i tried to contact SonyListens via the Facebook page. Pat Kennedy responded via email and asked me to call the 888 number to receive more information on my current offers. I called and was advised that now the 40" option was no longer available and the offer on the other two TV's was the same.

I pulled the lamp cover this weekend and noticed 2-3 scorch marks on the interior of the area housing the lamp.

Does anyone have any advice?
post #3865 of 3890 Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM

If people are visiting this thread or comparison reasons when evaluating "Replacement Offers" be sure to read the post on SlickDeals.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2059410

My own experience;

Broken KF-50WE610 bought in October of 2003.

It's plagued with a large area of blue dots, large blue blobs in the corners, and inside 'smudges' that go across the screen.

More importantly, it's got significant melting/warping of the lamp door and inside the lamp housing. This specific defect is the reason why some people get higher replacement offers in comparison with people who have just screen issues.

The offers from Sony were

KDL-55EX720 $810+tax
KDL-46EX720 $550+tax
KDL-40EX720 $450+tax
KDL-55EX720 (refurbished) No Charge

I contacted SonyListens to try and work a discount on a larger model. They will not offer 60-inch models for discount if you currently have a smaller sized model. SonyListens says they have to save the 60-inch models for people who are trading in 60's, there's a limited supply. If you message the reps on the FB page, they will quote you an offer on any sized model TV (60-inch excluded).

KDL-55NX720 $1405+tax

I eventually took the refurbished 55EX720 offer for No Charge (SonyListens extended the warranty to 1-year for free).
post #3866 of 3890 Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

Screw Sony

A few years ago, they offered me a modest discount (off their high retail prices) for all of the problems I incurred, including the screen and the melted housing around the lamp. They were also very unapologetic and insincere through the entire process.

I was a long time fan of Sony, going back to the seventies. Now I don't look at their products, not because they manufactured a crappy product that I purchased, but the way they handled it.
post #3867 of 3890 Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM

2 weeks ago, a Sony authorize tech came to see my melted KF-42WE610. He was only here for 5 minutes and took a picture to send back to Sony. Last week, Sony called and made these offers:

KDL46EX720 $550 + local sales tax
KDL55EX720 $810 + local sales tax
KDL40EX720 $450 + local sales tax
KDL46EX500 (refurbished) at no charge

Like patrickgillette above, I also took the refurbished offer at no charge. They required a signed settlement letter and the original sticker from the back of the TV showing the model and serial numbers. The replacement TV should arrive within 3 weeks. As such, I am very happy with the way Sony handled my case. Who can complain about an upgrade such as this for an 8 year old rear projection TV.
post #3868 of 3890 Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE

I maintain the informational web site on Sony optical block and related problems with their 2002-2007 rear projection liquid crystal TVs. Sony had been running an "optical block program" for about 1-1/2 years in which owners of these failed TVs received discounts off newer direct-view LCD TVs in exchange for a legal release. This program was abruptly terminated today, and the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" Facebook page, with tens of thousands of customer posts, was turned off.

If you have a pending settlement with Sony for a failed optical block, you should probably try to resolve it quickly, as it is unknown whether Sony will be offering any future program. There is an alternative Facebook page called "I Still Have a Defective Sony TV" that can be used for general discussion/complaints.

post #3869 of 3890 Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Please note that the lamp overheating issue is still under an extended Sony warranty through March 31, 2012. Everybody with WE or XBR950 models should periodically check for evidence of heat-induced melting or cracking around the lamp area. See my Lamp Overheating Issue page for details.

post #3870 of 3890 Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 AM

My GWIII purchased in February 2004 is still running just fine except for a few dead pixels - replaced the lamp once. Am I the last man standing here?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page