Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by faceoff
I just saw the post from Compfan, who is returning his Sammy 931 because of what seems to be additional problems with blacks w/DVI. What are the rest of you doing? I see 3 options:

1) Samsung 931
2) Bravo D1
3) Something else - most likely using component

I have a 931 on order, but have no problem returning it for a store credit if there is a better (and affordible) option out there. The one ADVANTAGE I see in using a component DVD player is having that DVI port available (and not having to but a switch) for when Comcast had a DVI-enabled HD box.

TIA!

David

DVI pluge issues and LCD black level issues dont mix well together. Even at optimal DVE settings in rare scenes 80% of the screen is completely flat black with no detail at all.

Ive been told, and confirmed it with several sources that apparently this is a problem with all DVI players that are currently out and no amount of calibration will resolve it. Future models will likely resolve this but for now it appears to be a check in the negative column(:

I bought the Sammy for the same reason. The PQ was comparable in most situations and it freed up another component spot for my Xbox.

Im going right now to look at the RP91, NC665Ps, Denon1600 and the Sony NC555ES. Ill let you know which I buy and why.

Am I the only person watching TV in Rochester NY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Originally posted by RockScaler
The Owners manual states that your eyes should be 30 degrees above or below the center of the screen. My trig's a little rusty but you should not have a problem.

That's a 60 Deg. vertical viewing angle. The set also has a 130 deg horizontal viewing angle.

If the manual said "your eyes should be 30 degrees above or below the center of the screen" it's either a typo or Japanese English. Even if the set has a vertical viewing angle of 60 degrees you "shouldn't" be viewing it at the extremes.

I think the horizontal viewing angle is greater than 130 degrees.
post #183 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I just saw the post from Compfan, who is returning his Sammy 931 because of what seems to be additional problems with blacks w/DVI. What are the rest of you doing? I see 3 options:

1) Samsung 931
2) Bravo D1
3) Something else - most likely using component

I have a 931 on order, but have no problem returning it for a store credit if there is a better (and affordible) option out there. The one ADVANTAGE I see in using a component DVD player is having that DVI port available (and not having to but a switch) for when Comcast had a DVI-enabled HD box.

TIA!

David

David,

I have an Onkyo DV-SP301 on order which i should receive next week. As i've posted in the DVD section, this player is reviewed in the oct issue of Home Theater Mag and is well rated by that mag.

Mike50
post #184 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 12:37 PM

I own a KF-50WE610. My question is does anyone know how to change the gamma setting for this model for the DVI (Video Setting #7).
post #185 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Greetings fellow Alabamiam:

What are you trying to accomplish by adjusting the Gamma? Control contrast??

Jim(Wetumpka)

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #186 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM

Hey all,

Good Guys where I ordered my GWIII has an open box Sony HD DTV tuner (I think it's last year's model: HD200) for $299 with the dish and installation. Is that a deal that I should go for, or should I wait for the HD300 and pay more?

Listen to my songs about games at: www.archiegates.com
post #187 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 PM

What are you trying to accomplish by adjusting the Gamma? Control contrast??

Jim(Wetumpka)

I'm trying to light up the picture detail in very dark movie scene. Very high bright levels make them look washout. Any suggestion.
post #188 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Isitdigital
Jim(Wetumpka)

I'm trying to light up the picture detail in very dark movie scene. Very high bright levels make them look washout. Any suggestion.

Is that the Black Crush problem? Right now, I've had the set (still uncalibrated), and that is the ONLY real concern I have - and I knew going in that it might be an issue. If it continues to be the ONLY problem - I'll try to calibrate as much out as possible, and live with the set.

David
post #189 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ArchieGates
Good Guys where I ordered my GWIII has an open box Sony HD DTV tuner (I think it's last year's model: HD200) for $299 with the dish and installation. Is that a deal that I should go for, or should I wait for the HD300 and pay more?

Grab it! The Sony HD200 and the Zenith SAT520 are the same box. I have two of the Zenith version and they are excellent for both satellite and OTA reception.

Don
post #190 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mike50
David,

I have an Onkyo DV-SP301 on order which i should receive next week. As i've posted in the DVD section, this player is reviewed in the oct issue of Home Theater Mag and is well rated by that mag.

Mike50

I have a 5 year old top of the line Toshiba NON progressive dvd player that puts out a great picture. My question: Can I use this NON PROGRESSIVE dvd player with my new (when I get it) Sony KE42WE610
Grand Wega III? Please let me know asap. Thanks!
post #191 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
You can use the non progressive scan DVD player with the GWIII. I am using a 2 year old Toshiba player with my 42" and the picture is excellent.

I rented Gangs of New York the other day and the picture from that DVD was outstanding. Great way to show off what this set is capable of.

I am using s-video as a connection. My DVD player has component jacks, but I never had a set that took component input. I may upgrade at some point, but the quality I'm getting now is so good that this will be a low priority.

The DVD PQ on this set is much better than anything I've seen in the theaters.
post #192 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by aydu
[b]You can use the non progressive scan DVD player with the GWIII. I am using a 2 year old Toshiba player with my 42" and the picture is excellent.

Exactly which input should I plug the non-prog. dvd in? Reason I ask is that in a Sammy DLP it must go into component no. 1 as that is the only one which accepts a non progressive dvd (480i) input.
post #193 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
First you need to decide what type of connection you want - composite, s-video, or component. All are different cable types that go into the matching slots on the set.

I don't think there are any limitations for these connection types. The new DVI input for HDTV won't be present on an older DVD player.

Just use whichever one you want. I have mine connected to the video 1 input.
post #194 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
[quote]Originally posted by kmil
[b]
Quote:

Originally posted by aydu
You can use the non progressive scan DVD player with the GWIII. I am using a 2 year old Toshiba player with my 42" and the picture is excellent.

Exactly which input should I plug the non-prog. dvd in? Reason I ask is that in a Sammy DLP it must go into component no. 1 as that is the only one which accepts a non progressive dvd (480i) input.

You can plug into any component input that accepts 480i. I think that all component inputs on the GWIII do that.

The Samsung is the odd one out in this case.
post #195 of 3890 Old 10-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by aydu

I rented Gangs of New York the other day and the picture from that DVD was outstanding. Great way to show off what this set is capable of.

I am using s-video as a connection. My DVD player has component jacks, but I never had a set that took component input. I may upgrade at some point, but the quality I'm getting now is so good that this will be a low priority.

The DVD PQ on this set is much better than anything I've seen in the theaters.

Thanks for your response. Another quick question. Can I buy the Sony KF-42WE610.......at a B&M such as, say Sears and THEN buy an extended warranty SOMEWHERE ELSE if I decide to do so???
post #196 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Guys,

I crossposted this from the DVD section - since there were no responses, yet:

I need to make a decision. I have a Sony GWIII which is staying. It's only flaw that I have a problem with is it's black crush. I ordered a Samsung 931, which I was planning on hooking up with DVI, before I read that the DVI out on the 931 also has black crush - so that doesn't seem to be the solution.

So, since I already have the 931 on order, how does it rank as a Progressive Scan DVD Player. I know that it has the Faroudji technology, and to me this is worth something, but, is it worth the price if not being used for DVI?

I just saw the review of the Pioneer 563A in the new S&V. Sounds like a really good price, especially for a DVD AND SACD Player. I would be willing to bet that 99-100% of the use will be for DVD's.

So, do I keep the Samsung when I get it, go for the Pioneer, or maybe take my chances on the Bravo? The Brovo would seem to be a likely candidate, but I'm still a bit skiddish with all the problems.

TIA for all opinions.

David
post #197 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 172
How much of the reported black crush with the Sony GWIII is due to using the Samsung 931??

Faceoff
In another thread, someone tested both the Bravo D1 and the Samsung 931 on a DLP (using DVI on both). They claimed that the Samsung looked grainer and had the black crush problem. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries the same with the GWIII.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #198 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Kmil, there is another thread that covers extended warranties and a couple vendors that sell them on the internet. It is pretty active so you should look there for more complete information plus it is pretty interesting.
post #199 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
How much of the reported black crush with the Sony GWIII is due to using the Samsung 931??

Faceoff
In another thread, someone tested both the Bravo D1 and the Samsung 931 on a DLP (using DVI on both). They claimed that the Samsung looked grainer and had the black crush problem. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries the same with the GWIII.

Compfan tried the 931 (DVI) with the GWIII and is taking the 931 back due to more problems with blacks.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth keeping the 931 if I'm NOT going to use DVI?

David
post #200 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Compfan tried the 931 (DVI) with the GWIII and is taking the 931 back due to more problems with blacks.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth keeping the 931 if I'm NOT going to use DVI?

David

I cant speak for the Bravo/Marantz or Denon DVI players but the combo of the Sony GWIII and Samsung 931 results in awful awful, black problems. I tried calibrating with Avia and DVE but the improvements were only minor. In the end some scenese are literally unwatchable.

Dont get me wrong,on bright scenes I have yet to see a DVD player as crisp and nice as the Sammy but on dark scenes just about any component player does a better job, even my 4 year old 99$RCA (:

In my opinion if your going to use strictly the component you should look elsewhere. There are 0 options on the sammy to adjust the picture, ZERO. The remote is awful, the IR reception is even worse and to top it off the load/seek times make me want to rip my hair out while im waiting. About the only upside I see to this player is the faroujda. The Denon 1600 is about the same price and provides alot more utility.

Just my opinion(:

post #201 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP

Faceoff

Later I will download the pictures off my camera so you can truely see it but in the case of DVD's id say probably 90-95% of the problems are due to the DVI.

I can play the exact same scene, PIP with two different players, one component(interlaced) the other the DVI. The difference is so blatantly obvious.

The perfect example is in Two Towers in the beginning when Gandolf falls off the cliff. For the DVI it is pure black except for the light in the center of the screen which are the flames and hole where gandalf falls. However the walls are completely black, no detail at all. In this case literally 95% of the screen is flat black. However with the component the entire screen is filled with detail and I can see the rock walls he falls past.

The difference between the two is very obvious. Im sure DVI may work better with other brands or technologies but unless I got a defective unit the Sony/Sammy combo is a nogo.

post #202 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Compfan,

FWIW - did you try Component? As you can tell, I'm still a bit skiddish on the D1.

THANKS!

David
post #203 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Compfan,

FWIW - did you try Component? As you can tell, I'm still a bit skiddish on the D1.

THANKS!

David

Yes I did. It was much better than the DVI connection. Like any other component.

But like I said, for the money you can get a much better component player.

post #204 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 AM

I'm new to the forum, I just got my KE42WE610 a couple days ago. Very impressed with this thread, it's already answered a few of my questions!

I do have one question/concern though, and I haven't found it mentioned yet.

I have my Xbox hooked up to the TV with the HD pack, Matrix looked beautiful in 720p, but, when I put Matrix Reloaded DVD in (I use my Xbox as my DVD player), and played a scene, it still had black bars on the top and bottom. I assumed that the movie would play in the full screen. Is this a setting I done incorrectly on the Xbox, or on the TV, or is it supposed to be that way?

With work and school, I haven't had enought time to check it out much.....

Thanks,

DSamAZ
post #205 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried the old xbr discrete codes on the GWIII's?

If DooDoo said it, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!
post #206 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 08:05 AM

dsamaz, turn on the xbox with a DVD in it. In the options menu make sure you have widescreen enabled. That's it unless for some reason you didn't have a widescreen version of the Matrix.
post #207 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 AM

When I first set up the system the other day, I checked to make sure the video settings on the Xbox were on "widescreen" with 480p, 720p, and 1080i enabled. I do have the widescreen version of Matrix Reloaded.....

If I remember correctly, when I played Shrek the other night, it played to the full screen.....

The only way I was able to get Matrix to play full screen was on "Zoom", even on "Wide Zoom" there were bars, top and bottom, albeit smaller...

I can live with the bars, but I would assume they aren't supposed to be there...
post #208 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 08:18 AM

I believe that the aspect ratio for the Matrix Reloaded is 2.35:1 which is not 16:9 (which is 1.78:1). So no matter how you configure you're screen, you'll either cut off the ends of the movie, distort the picture to fit 16:9, or have black bars.
post #209 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 08:19 AM

Feel free to flame me if I get this wrong, but the 16:9 aspect ratio is a characteristic of High Definition television, not necessarily of films.

So depending on the movie (think of "Lawrence of Arabia" and its mega-widescreen ratio), you may still get the black bars.
post #210 of 3890 Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by compfan
The difference between the two is very obvious. Im sure DVI may work better with other brands or technologies but unless I got a defective unit the Sony/Sammy combo is a nogo.

Compfan,

Thanks again for your response in my other thread. As we are having the exact same issues, I will be refusing delivery of my buy.com order and returning the HD931 to BB as well. I'm glad I will be able to simply refuse delivery from buy.com now that I now how much DVI suffers on this player with my GWIII. OH well. Now to decide to either stick with my Sony 725P or get the Lite-On so I can have fun with 720p and 1080i through component

I am a consumer whore!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page