Sony GWIII Owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3890 Old 10-04-2003, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well since everyones finally getting these sets its time to start a thread for tweaks/problems/help and observations.

My story, I currently own the 60XBR800. Ive been looking to buy something that better fits my living/space situation, and being the loving son I am would donate my 60" to my parents who have the space.

Yesterday I was at a certain retail store inquiring/viewing the various LCD's. Luckily I was speaking with the dept. mgr and just when I mentioned the new Sony's he said they had just received the display unit and it was still in the box.

I bought it on the spot, the 50"GWIII for an excellent price, $XXXX.(Im assuming I can say that as I didnt mention the store?)

Anyways, its sitting in my living room and it looks great!

So far:
-I like the look, for me at least it looks cleaner and less obtrusive. Esepcially noticeable once I set up the rest of the components.
-The blacks are excellent, much improved out of the box. IMO they look black, not blue or purple.
-The colors are much more vibrant, there seems to less less of a vale in front of the picthure.
-The brightness is incredible, some is contrbuted to the smaller size but it is really impressive.
-I like the new screen. At first I was hesitant with my light situation and glare but i was pleased at the reduction in reflections with the GWIII screen.
-I hate the remote, it feels like a rebagged RadioShack remote, lol. For some this might be a problem but I use a Universal so I wont even use this one.
-The SD is rough, obviously, but i persoanlly dont/wont use my bigscreen much for SD, Only DVD/Xbox/HD, so again, not a problem.
-There seems to be a little bit of red push, even using cool temp settings its noticeable.
-As always the sets DRC is great. It is actually better than the progressive mode on one of my DVD players(:
-DVI PC connecticity looks amazing. It was truely plug and play, it recognized the make, model and even posted the manufacture date. Initially the reolution is funky and needs work but nevertheless it does work. Im still working out final resolutions with power strip, and as it stands now has a little to much overscan but I am close. I will say a PC using DVI on the GWIII looks every bit as good, maybe even better than any of the LCD monitors I have, Samsung,Viewsonic and Dell.

What Im up to:
-Frist is obviouslly a run with Avia to clean it up some.
-Second is finalizing the PC connection using DVI, ill post suggestions for power strip when im done.
-Third is finding the best DVD player for the set.
-Im even considering an ISF visit.

So thats it everyone. Post away!

Scott in Rochester
[ Edit - Pricing rule http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300703 ]

Am I the only person watching TV in Rochester NY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 12:34 AM

Great info. I look forward to hearing your results as I will be getting the 50" in a few days.

I won't feel comfortable doing much tweaking until I hear more about how to benchmark the settings vs. a professional calibration.
post #3 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Sorven
Great info. I look forward to hearing your results as I will be getting the 50" in a few days.

I won't feel comfortable doing much tweaking until I hear more about how to benchmark the settings vs. a professional calibration.

Sorven,

I'm with you. Anxiously awaiting my 42"er - it's supposed to be in next Saturday - we'll see.

David
post #4 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by compfan
Well since everyones finally getting these sets its time to start a thread for tweaks/problems/help and observations.

Scott in Rochester

Scott,

Just a warning - you COULD turn out to be the UMR of GWIII's. Really looking forward to hearing more.

ENJOY!

David
post #5 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 AM

I'm going to run my 50" GW III through Avia today (tonight), but I've pretty much decided on having an ISF guy come out here. I have two quotes, pretty much the same. I kind of want to wait a month or two, hoping they'll work on at least ONE GW III before mine, but I'm pretty confident they can do a pretty good job on them.
post #6 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 09:44 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
ToutSuite,

I would wait until they can tell you what kind of improvements they "know" they can make.
post #7 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by faceoff
Scott,

Just a warning - you COULD turn out to be the UMR of GWIII's. Really looking forward to hearing more.

ENJOY!

David

Lol, impossible! It was easy to tweak the GWII, just read UMR's instructions. But its difficult/dangerous to figure it out yourself. I dont have the patience or knowledge to do it.

I will pass along anything I find though.

post #8 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I tried to add this to my original post but couldnt.
LL

post #9 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

compfan,
Quote:

Third is finding the best DVD player for the set.

Strange, why not just use an HTPC. It won't get any better.

Bob
post #10 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, I tried to add this to my original post but couldnt.

NICE! How deep is the center channel speaker? I thought that the top of the set wasn't deep enough, or maybe that's just going to be an issue with the 42".

THANKS!

David
post #11 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by rbmcgee
compfan,

Strange, why not just use an HTPC. It won't get any better.

I actually plan on doing that, however. My main PC is not going to be fast enough for HL2/D3,, the next generation of games. It is also not powerful enough to do HD through WM9. Which by the way is amazing, someone I work with is running HD DVD through WM9 and it is stunning! A huge imporvement over 480P, obviously.

With that being said I am waiting for December/January when the Pentium5 is launched and when ATi ships their 9900 cards. The ATI cards have component connections and DVI but the biggest thing is they actually support HD with preset resolutions.

Until then Im looking to upgrade to a very nice DVD player without spending a ton. Ultimately I will use the bigscreen for Xbox/PCgaming/PCHD DVD/HDTV.

post #12 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:37 AM

compfan, thanks for the picture. Couple of questions...
1. Is your center channel speaker resting on top, or is there something unseen there holding it in place. (I ask because it is so thin at the top of TV)

2. I see your Xbox. Is it noticably better on HDTV?

Keep the pictures coming. I am desperately looking for a stand that would be less "open" than ones I have seen (before the TV arrives). Ideally, it would be a piece of furniture matching the rest of the room. The closest I have seen is the Salamander series, and those are $$$.
post #13 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by faceoff
NICE! How deep is the center channel speaker? I thought that the top of the set wasn't deep enough, or maybe that's just going to be an issue with the 42".

THANKS!

David

My center channel speaker is only 5 inches deep. The top is about 4.5 inches wide so it could accomodate a few extra inches of speaker if necessary.

I dont know how the 42 will go, havent had a chance to see one yet.

post #14 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I was under the impression that you have already "permanently" connected your PC to the TV rather than just a test connect.

Bob
post #15 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In your opinion is it worth waiting for the XBR 60 vs. the non-xbr 60
post #16 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Sorven
compfan, thanks for the picture. Couple of questions...
1. Is your center channel speaker resting on top, or is there something unseen there holding it in place. (I ask because it is so thin at the top of TV)

2. I see your Xbox. Is it noticably better on HDTV?

Keep the pictures coming. I am desperately looking for a stand that would be less "open" than ones I have seen (before the TV arrives). Ideally, it would be a piece of furniture matching the rest of the room. The closest I have seen is the Salamander series, and those are $$$.

My speaker is just resting on top but it is rather small so its not an issue. The rubber feet on the speaker get rid of any rattle between the two.

Xbox is noticeably better, I mean its obvious with the HD pack. Some games, like Matrix are 720P and look gorgeous. There are a few 1080i games out but it appears the mainstream is going to be 720p. Even SD games look better becuase with the HD pack im using component series 3 monster cables. If your getting an HD set there is no question, get the HD pack. You will love it.

As for the stand, well I needed something a little higher so I bought that. Its a Bello stand, only 250. All glass, cable management system and a newage/modern look which goes with my entire home. The TV is so light you can use about any stand itll fit on so buy what you like.

post #17 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by lgroveman
In your opinion is it worth waiting for the XBR 60 vs. the non-xbr 60

Thats all you bud.

Chances are it will have a better pciture, by how much noone knows, though I cant imagine it will be that far ahead. it does have a pretty nice look to it and the built in tuner would be handy.

But I think the MSRP is like 5500-6000$. Thats a little pricey for me for a TV like this. For that much I would likely buy a new Panny50" plasma.

My only concern would be the 60"WE610 might be a little,,,, less bright because of the large size. The XBR units will have brighter bulbs so they might be as bright as the 42 and 50 WE610.

post #18 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 11:13 AM

I had a Philips 55" Cineos on order for over 6 weeks with no target date for delivery and my local Tweeter just got the GW-IIIs in. I spoke to the salesman, he told me I should really come in to see the GW-III (I did not like the 50" GW-II very much). After seeing HdNet on the 42" GW-III and regular DirecTV on the GW-III, I switched the order from the Philips to the 50" GW-III that is in stock. I get the set on Monday, October 6. Have to find someone with a minivan, SUV or truck to go with me to pick it up. They gave me the 10% off that was a sale in effect when I ordered the Philips and gave me the same free OTA STB that was free with the Philips (and the Samsung and Panny LCDs at the time).

Just ordered the HD package from DirecTV and will be getting a Triple LNB dish, DirecTV HD receiver (hopefully it will be the Samsung not the Hughes) and standard installation. Have an installation appointment set for Saturday from 1-5.

Truly amazing - I have a dual LNB dish now with a multiswitch in the basement with a dual cable run to the living room for one TiVo and another cable run to the master bedroom for the other TiVo. According to the DirecTV rep, the installation includes swapping the dish, moving the existing receiver (TiVo) to another room including necessary cable runs, a multiswitch if necessary and hooking up the DirecTV HD receiver to one of the existing cables. Amazing - if they put up the HD dish in addition to the existing dish they could run a single cable for the HD box. But according to the rep, they can't install the HD receiver in the same room as an existing receiver. What a joke. I'll talk to the installer. I suspect that we can come to an understanding. If he has to move the TiVo I'll move it back after he leaves and reroute one of the cables so there are three cables to where the GW-III will be.

Now I'm hoping that the HD TiVo really comes out in March 2004.
post #19 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Is Wega pronounced Wega (with a W) or Vega (with a V)?

Bob
post #20 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 12:18 PM

Have just purchased 50" GWIII after comparing it with the Panny 50. The price was the same for both so after reading other favourable threads and checking them both out myself decided on the Sony. My concern at this time is what height of stand is the best to maximize the tv's viewing angles. The Sony stand is pricey and doesn't look to be very good value for the money so I was looking at alternates and found one I liked but I thought it may be a little high at 26" for that set. Any suggestions as to stand heights? I think the Sony stand is about 16" off the floor and I assume that is their recommended height. Thanks for any input.
post #21 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

It's Vega -

Kind of like the composer Wagner (Vagner)

Silly, but true.
post #22 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by davidjplatt
...I get the set on Monday, October 6. Have to find someone with a minivan, SUV or truck to go with me to pick it up...

You can do what I did (my 50" was due for delivery on Monday, but why miss the whole weekend?) and rent a U-Haul pickup for $19.95. I don't think the box will fit into the back of most SUVs.

Get some rope, too - you'll want to lash the box to the side of the truck, as it should be kept standing upright (about 4' tall or so) the entire time. I drove like a nervous wreck on my way home - 40 mph on the freeway!

Two healthy guys can lift the box (112 lbs) no problem.
post #23 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 04:34 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------
Have just purchased 50" GWIII after comparing it with the Panny 50. The price was the same for both so after reading other favourable threads and checking them both out myself decided on the Sony. My concern at this time is what height of stand is the best to maximize the tv's viewing angles. The Sony stand is pricey and doesn't look to be very good value for the money so I was looking at alternates and found one I liked but I thought it may be a little high at 26" for that set. Any suggestions as to stand heights? I think the Sony stand is about 16" off the floor and I assume that is their recommended height. Thanks for any input.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly 26" sounds about right to me. Better to look up a little than down a little. Where did you find that one? But at www.ikea-usa.com you'll find a couple of stands in the $100 range that are shorter. Look for the ones from Benno and Oppli.
post #24 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just wanted to check in and report that I'm an official member of this club. I received my 50" GWIII yesterday. I was out of town last night, so I haven't had much time to play with it, but so far I'm VERY happy.

I was super paranoid about bad pixels, but so far all I can find is one dim green pixel which can't be seen from more than 3' back. Whew!

I watched about 3 hours of SD football today, and IMO this TV rocks with SD. Keep in mind, I'm comparing it to the 507W (IMO, bad SD), so my view may be skewed. But it just looked like an enlarged picture of what I'm used to on my 32" direct view, which is how it should be.

The rest of my time with the TV so far has been spent playing Soul Calibur 2 at 720p, which looks awesome . That's the only HD game I have right now.

I've flipped on some HDTV stuff, but there hasn't been anything interesting on yet. I'll definitely be checking in on the HD football game tonight on ESPN-HD. I'll probably rent a Superbit DVD tonight, too.

I'm really satisfied with the set so far, and I can't wait for the tweaks. My copy of DVE should come in a few days, so I'm not sure I'll bother with my original VE disc. Everyone post any calibrated settings you come up with.
post #25 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Donaldafm
Frankly 26" sounds about right to me. Better to look up a little than down a little. Where did you find that one? But at www.ikea-usa.com you'll find a couple of stands in the $100 range that are shorter. Look for the ones from Benno and Oppli.

My stand (Sanus Woodbrook) is 21" and the TV seems a bit too high to me, but I think I just have to get used to it. At 21" the viewing angle is still fine (even lying on the couch), 26" is probably fine too.
post #26 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DLiquid
But it just looked like an enlarged picture of what I'm used to on my 32" direct view, which is how it should be.

I will be coming from a 32" set also. Now that you have the tv -- is 9 feet ok for sd?
post #27 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
[quote]Originally posted by compfan
[
-DVI PC connecticity looks amazing. It was truely plug and play, it recognized the make, model and even posted the manufacture date. Initially the reolution is funky and needs work but nevertheless it does work. Im still working out final resolutions with power strip, and as it stands now has a little to much overscan but I am close. I will say a PC using DVI on the GWIII looks every bit as good, maybe even better than any of the LCD monitors I have, Samsung,Viewsonic and Dell.

Scott,

I'm pleasantly surprised of the "plug and play" capability thru the DVI port, given Sony's statement that it is not intended for PC and the problems encountered by some members of this forum with the GWII. Maybe the GWIII differs for the better on this issue.

Could you please tell us which video card and resolution/settings you used? Also, what type of DVI cable? DVI-D ?

Mike50
post #28 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by abarsami
I will be coming from a 32" set also. Now that you have the tv -- is 9 feet ok for sd?

From what I've seen so far, yes, but all I've watched is FOX and CBS via DirecTV. It doesn't look great or anything, but in comparison to other 50" TVs I think it does a good job.

ESPN HD Sunday Night Football looks a little overcompressed. I'll be more interested to watch MNF on ABC tomorrow night.
post #29 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 06:28 PM

I'm going to get the 60" soon, but I have to have a new stand built to match my current entertainment system cabinets. I'm planning on making the stand 18" high. How does that sound for the 60" set?

Also, the specs from Sony say "approximately" 63.75 inches wide. Does anyone have one and report the "actual" width of the set so that I build in the right opening? I'm planning on a 66" wide opening, so I should be safe. Any comments?

Thanks.

Nick
post #30 of 3890 Old 10-05-2003, 06:55 PM

Quote:

but surely you don't mean the GWIII is doing 1-to-1 pixel mapping like what you get with LCD monitors through DVI? Since the LCD panel of the GWIII has resolution of 1386x788, I assume that the Wega engine scales and converts all incoming digital signal, regardless of resolution, into one of the 480p, 720p or 1080i display modes. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the GWIII lets 720p (or any resolution) signal straight through without conversion.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page