GWIII buzz - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(I'm a soon-to-be 50" GWIII owner")

When someone's set buzzes on startup, how long does the buzzing last for? Does the buzzing stop once the set starts, or once it fails with the blinking lights?

Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slayerav

When someone's set buzzes on startup, how long does the buzzing last for? Does the buzzing stop once the set starts, or once it fails with the blinking lights?

Just curious.
buzz is at startup lasts for a couple seconds. It goes away after the picture comes on.
post #93 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TV21CHIEF
Just talked to my dealer, my gut instinct is telling me to get a new set so that's what I'm doing. I'll take a chance on not getting bad pixels. BTW, I also don't go out of my way to look for them either.

I'm curious - inside the trim panel you have to take off to get to the lamp there appears to be a date written by hand with a marker. I think mine says 9-21-03. Do any of you see this on your panels?
I'll keep mine if I get a satisfactory service visit from the technican and some extra sugar from Ultimate Electronics (free upgrade from 3 to 5 year extended warranty, new bulb installed and another new bulb to offset risk of bulb failure). It may be asking too much (two bulbs are probably $500), but I figure they have an incentive to keep my existing set in my house rather than get stuck with a return and be short yet another set. They also face the risk that I'll be hyperobservant of any replacement set and face a higher risk of return on that one, and ultimately perhaps a lost sale.

I'm also somewhat convinced that a set with a good optical engine and panels and a lighting system that's been once-overed by a good technician is arguably more reliable and trustworthy than one that just seems to work right.

There is a grease pencil-type writing on the inside my my trim panel as well, but I don't remember what it says. I'll have to report back later.
post #94 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slayerav

Just curious.
It is only for the briefest of seconds. And it isn't very loud either, more like a soft bzzzzzt, than a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Someone describe it like sticking a piece of paper into a fan, that kind of sound.

Also, if yours is buzzing, look behind the TV (helps if the room is dim) and you can see a spakling of light through the vent holes. Something is arcing inside the unit. Other threads have identified the actual component involved (it is not the fan by the way).

Yes, it stops as soon as the lamp lights. It is not continuous until the lamp lights either, it goes bzzzzzzt, wait a few seconds, bzzzzzzzt, wait a few seconds, bzzzzzzzt, wait a few seconds. 3 buzzes for me and then I would get a lamp failure light. Off and on on the remote starts the sequence again until successful.
post #95 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 02:04 PM

Just talked to my dealer, my gut instinct is telling me to get a new set so that's what I'm doing. I'll take a chance on not getting bad pixels. BTW, I also don't go out of my way to look for them either.

I'm curious - inside the trim panel you have to take off to get to the lamp there appears to be a date written by hand with a marker. I think mine says 9-21-03. Do any of you see this on your panels?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My trim panel had a 9-03 date written in light color as well. don't remember if it was 9-21 though. I visited CC today to research the buzzing, power on problem, and the salesman denied ever hearing about the problem, but was quick to suggest an extended maintenance program as the solution.

I'm still concerned about the loose fit of the light housing. Should have been some kind of gasket to snug up and stabilize that bulb. Sears sales guy comes back to work tomorrow - I'm curious to see his response.

"Hey - you can't fool me. There ain't no such thing as a Sanity Clause" - Chico Marx
post #96 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 PM

Spoke to the service guy just now. The bulbs are not available and there is no ETA for their availability. I honestly don't know how they diagnose bulb problems without known, good bulb supplies. I am not optimistic that this technician will do anything more than rudimentary analysis, but perhaps I should be more optimistic.

I think my hope right now is that the set works on an on again, off again basis until the replacement is available.
post #97 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

A dealer told me that the GWIII's screen will show the lamp replacement sign when it's needed, but he doesn't know what is based on. There is no explanation on the owner's manual either. He said that he does not believe it's based on the lamp operating time. My question is: Is it based on the light output of the lamp? There is no lamp life time stated in the owner's manual according to him. Can someone tell me about this?

Xiaoyu,
post #98 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 06:14 PM

My 50" was delivered on Saturday. Sunday morning I had my experience with "the buzz" and the lamp not firing up. Unplugged, tried a couple of more times and it came on. Worked OK until today. Tried for an hour (letting it sit between attempts). Took off the front and made sure the lamp cover was tight....it was. Went to Sears to talk to my salesman. I told him about the issues being posted here. He said he hadn't heard about this before (to be honest, he probably hadn't...he kept referring to it as a "Sony DLP!)

He got Sony service on the phone and I spoke with the rep. Had a hard time understanding him and I explained the situation and asked him to check his flowchart or whatever it is they have. He said he couldn't find anything. I realize he's a first tier support person. He tried to set up an appointment but, according to him, the closest authorized Sony Service Center is in Milwaukee, about 80 miles away from Madison. (can't believe that!) My first choice was to have a Sony trained tech look at it, instead of a Sears tech. I got my case number from him and then the salesman called to setup an appointment with the the Sears Tech. They made an "Emergency" appointment for tomorrow afternoon so we'll see.

When I told the salesman I might remove the bulb and re-seat it, he went and talked to his manager and came back and warned me that it may void my warranty from Sony and that I should be careful because of all the "High Voltage running around the inside of the set." Laughed and told him I'm a bomb tech at work and that I thought I would be OK. Also told him that if he's not making the fact that the bulb is replaceable by the end user a selling point, then he's missing out.

Got home and removed the bulb (looks clear/OK to me) and re-seated it. Replaced and tried again. Would not come on the first time but did the second. At this point I really don't want to exchange the set as there are no other obvious defects (pixels, etc.) But I think I'm inclined to keep the service appointment and then if not satisfied, have Sears deliver another set.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info I've found on this site for the last 2 months while researching my TV purchase and after!!! A friend and I both bought 50" GWIII's together and his has been perfect and he's never had "the buzz" so far.

:confused:
post #99 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by xiaoyu
A dealer told me that the GWIII's screen will show the lamp replacement sign when it's needed, but he doesn't know what is based on.
Typically, the lamp needs to be replaced when it quits working! That would make it difficult to show you an on-screen message now, wouldn't it :)

It might tell you after x amount of hours that replacement is a good idea though...
post #100 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 06:51 PM

Just RTFM. It says that the set indicates on the screen when the lamp needs replacement. I THINK this certainly means the gerblingder lights, eh?
post #101 of 2840 Old 12-02-2003, 10:28 PM

Just a quick update. 2 solid days of no buzz for me after re-seating my lamp. Now I have to decide to return for a different set or not at the end of my 30 days. If it starts to buzz again at all in the 30 days it's being returned.

Mike
post #102 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Just had the service guy here. He took the set apart, removed the ballast and checked it with a multitester.

His conclusion: The ballast is OK, although it shows evidence of overheating. A component on the ballast showed warping from overheating. He also thinks the bulb shows some signs of overheating, although somewhat curiously, he didn't think the bulb was bad when he pulled it out and examined it.

He said normally they would replace both the bulb and the ballast, since a flakey ballast can lead to premature replacement bulb failures, as well as being a good CYA measure for the technicans.

The bulbs, though, are simply NOT available. He said that Sony isn't even showing a back order date on the bulbs -- they're just plain unavailable. He felt that this might mean that the bulbs were being redesigned -- I wonder if maybe there isn't more being redesigned.

Since I couldn't fix this set if I wanted due to the unavailability of bulbs, I'm going to exchange it. I'm pressing the sales people to provide me with a loaner set for the duration of the replacement set's back order period, as well as jumping the queue of people that have them on order but have not yet taken delivery, since I've already paid for mine.

One further annoyance to all of this is that the technican showed up over an hour late, which has cost me nearly a whole vacation day.

If I didn't love this set, I might be tempted to just cancel my order and wait for the dust to settle as to what's going on here, as I suspect that there's a design problem or manufacturing flaw in the lamping system (bulb, electrics, etc).
post #103 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
The bulbs, though, are simply NOT available. He said that Sony isn't even showing a back order date on the bulbs -- they're just plain unavailable. He felt that this might mean that the bulbs were being redesigned -- I wonder if maybe there isn't more being redesigned.

OR - everybody and their brother is getting bad bulbs replaced and Sony can't keep up with the demand. I'm glad I decided to have my dealer replace my whole set.
post #104 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 11:40 AM

OK - here's the Sears sales guy response -

Sears is unaware of any problems. Will honor the 60 day return policy from next Tuesday when (allegedly) my new GWIII is delivered. AND recommended I consider replacing with the 50" Hitachi - same price, better repair record in his opinion - if problems occur with second Sony.

Now there's dealer confidence. I'd just as soon have a new pixel happy, non-buzzing set that turns on all the time.

"Hey - you can't fool me. There ain't no such thing as a Sanity Clause" - Chico Marx
post #105 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
dans03 -

I only got 30 days from Sears. Did you see that in writing womewhere? And the manager said 30 days from date of purchase, which killed a week off my preview time.

Thanks, Mark
post #106 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dans03
OK - here's the Sears sales guy response -

Sears is unaware of any problems. Will honor the 60 day return policy from next Tuesday when (allegedly) my new GWIII is delivered. AND recommended I consider replacing with the 50" Hitachi - same price, better repair record in his opinion - if problems occur with second Sony.
Bah, everyone's "unaware of any problems" since the sets are too new for good, aggregate failure/repair data to be available, unless you're as prone as I am to buy into the repair guy's theories about the complete absence of any bulb availability information.

Furthremore, since when do sales guys know about repair histories of anything beyond what they've been involved with or even report it all that honestly? Sure, some might, but I'd bet a lot don't have a clue, and even if they did would soft-peddle repair histories; once the 30/60 day replacement period is gone, the customer isn't really their problem anymore.

For what it's worth, the repair guy I saw said that he's only had to work on two GWII's in the past year and thinks they're highly reliable.
post #107 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 01:34 PM

Just wanted to log my experience here, as well. Maybe somebody at Sony is reading this.

I purchased a 42WE610 on Nov 8 from Best Buy. Worked great until last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.

When I tried to turn it on Friday, I got the buzz and blinking LAMP indicator. It actually buzzed 3 times with several seconds delay after each, as if it was programmed to retry 3 times. I tried again a few hours later and it came right on.

This was repeated Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The set would come on after a couple of attempts. I found this thread on Monday, reseated the bulb, and everything's been fine since. I'm being careful (now) not to cycle power too often.

I don't know if it matters, but my house is at 9500ft elevation and it was cooler than normal in my living room when I first encountered the problem (about 55 degrees).

If I have more problems, I'll post. This weekend is my last chance to return the set. Other than this problem, I love the TV.
post #108 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

It might tell you after x amount of hours that replacement is a good idea though... [/b][/quote]

Do you think that the lamp replacement sign will come on after fixed time? How long is this X?

Xiaoyu,
post #109 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by xiaoyu
It might tell you after x amount of hours that replacement is a good idea though...
Do you think that the lamp replacement sign will come on after fixed time? How long is this X?

Xiaoyu, [/b][/quote]

Only Sony knows how long the "x" period is. These sets are far too new for anyone to have hit that magic time, but I'm sure it is coded somewhere in the firmware of the set.

Once it hits "x" the change lamp light will come on. I'd guess that the instructions on how to reset the indicator will come with the lamp, or the insertion of a new bulb will shut off the light.
post #110 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 04:16 PM

Hey guys, I've been lurking for quite some time. Let me relay my experience thus far... I have a 50we610 and after about 2 weeks the thing starting doing the buzzing. Sometimes one buzz, then a few blinks then power on... sometimes several buzzes, with blinking intervals... I never found a correlation. Personally, stuff like this drives me crazy!

I did the bulb reseat and the cover reseat and it "seemed" to help initially but the problem came would come back with the day.

Well, like others, I was hesitant to exchange my set with Sears becase as far as I could tell the set didn't have any "defects". I called Sony and first-teir had NO record of such incidents with any other users.

Approaching my 30-day mark, I decided I didn't want this problem being any type of issue. Yesterday, I went to Sears and exchanged my set. To my surpise they were able to schedule a delivery for today. Today I received the set and ... no apparent "defects" and the system powered on perfectly.

Several things, I'm doing differently this time. The first time the delivery guy powered on the TV right when we delivered it, outside temperature in the 40s. This time we let the thing set for a couple of hours. Also, I'm making sure not power on/off or off/on the tv without at least 5 minute intervals, for at least the first few weeks. Not sure if any of this matters, but no chances here.
post #111 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 04:31 PM

I only got 30 days from Sears. Did you see that in writing somewhere? And the manager said 30 days from date of purchase, which killed a week off my preview time.

Thanks, Mark

Mark -
I don't pay for the set until Nov 2004.
My next thirty day period starts Tuesday Dec.9 with my 2nd Sony.
If I am unhappy with this set, I will try a Hitachi at which point the thirty days starts again. If that dosn't work out I will go back to my 32" Panasonic and wait for GW IV, or whatever.

With no money on the table, and Sears giving me good service, I'm pretty sure I'll get what I need, or I'll walk away still willing to shop at Sears, telling people that the products may not have met my expectations, but Sears did.

TV21CHIEF - while I popped the bulb for the third time today - I noticed that the date was 09/14/03

Yes three re-seats - still had to try the remote power button @ five times until the set turned on (while I was on the phone with my Sears rep - he is the product manager, maybe that means something).

HT - I'm leaving this thing on until Tuesday - bulb casing was only warm.
And you're right about leaving a PC on all the time - same difference.

post #112 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
[i]TV21CHIEF - while I popped the bulb for the third time today - I noticed that the date was 09/14/03 [/b]

Interesting. Mine is actually 9-12-03. Not the 21st. Interesting correlation of dates.
post #113 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Ok, the Sears Service Tech was here this afternoon. He called this morning and I briefed him on some info from this thread. He sounded skeptical and tried to brushoff what I was telling him. Not a good start!

He showed up on time and seemed like a nice enough guy (you know what they say...that and .50cents will get you a cup off coffee!) He came in and slid the stand out almost ripping the carpet. He then went around back and removed the outer panel and 2 or 3 of the inner covers. As he was poking around he proceeded to tell me that I would be surprised at the lack of training that the manufacturers provide service people with all this new technology (just what I DON'T want to hear when someone is digging around in the guts of a 5 day old $3K TV I just bought.) He then confirmed what others have reported reference the lack of available bulbs. He finally tried to start it with the back off and when it buzzed he said that he saw what I meant.

Finally he put it all back together and told me that it was really between me and my Salesman at Sears (NICE!) and that if it was him, he'd probably return it. He left and I was finally able to get it to come n about an hour later.

I just called my salesman at Sears. He said that they would swap out the set. He also said that there would be no charge for removing the defective set (No S*&T Sherlock, I had it delivered by Sears in the first place....for all I care, if they didn't pick it up it'd go by the curb after they brought the new one.) He then said (and this baffles me) that since I paid cash (put it on my Debit card) they would have to refund me like a return and then charge me again as a new sale for the replacement?????????? Now if anyone has any idea about how Sears works, please let me know PLEASE. Is he tying to get commission for another sale or what? He then says that the computer shows the first availability date is Dec. 22 at the soonest (don't like the sound of that....they already delayed the original delivery date by a week, although to be fair, they did credit me an additional 10% off)

Anyways, I'll stop ranting now. My friend and I bought them together on the same day and his looks AWESOME with HD cable and he's never had a buzz once. just luck of the draw I guess. Sears and Sony get one more chance!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
post #114 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by bobr
Is he tying to get commission for another sale or what?
When you're on commission, you lose the commission on returns. I doubt he'd gain anything by having you return it and rebuy it again, unless the SPIFFs are a lot higher now than they were then :)
post #115 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 05:05 PM

OK maybe I'll take that back - I just checked the Hitachi Owner's thread is twice as long as the Sony's thread. Plus now that the set is on - It really looks great.

Maybe I'll just keep exchanging sets for a year.

post #116 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Mine is actually 9-12-03. Not the 21st. Interesting correlation of dates.
Mine has no date on the inside of the trim panel or anywhere else. The date sticker on the back, however, says "SEPTEMBER 2003". Is there a chance that there was a whole rash of assembly/parts problems? What's your serial number? Mine ends in 8345.
post #117 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 05:46 PM

mobo, chief -

September 2003 then LA2

Then Serial # 9008715

DanS

post #118 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
Mine has no date on the inside of the trim panel or anywhere else. The date sticker on the back, however, says "SEPTEMBER 2003". Is there a chance that there was a whole rash of assembly/parts problems? What's your serial number? Mine ends in 8345.

September 2003 S/N 9006696. Let's see....it contains "666" and "69". I'M DOOMED. Glad I'm replacing it.
post #119 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 PM

Mine says 8/21/03... Serial 9010136... Had the buzz problem. Light replaced... now no probs. Occasionally a faint buzz still but from what I can gather here that is normal.

T.V.: Sony KF-42WE610
Rec.: Sony STR-DA3000ESsssssss
DVD: Panny DMR-E80HS
Spk.: Polk CSi30/RTi38, HK HTS5 surrounds, HK 10" 100 watt sub
post #120 of 2840 Old 12-03-2003, 10:17 PM

Some of you may remember my post (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post2952013) in this thread a while back about my buzzing and LAMP indicator problem. Well, the set have not worked for the last 1.5 weeks (I have not tried to re-seat the lamp, although I think it would temporarily fix the problem if I did). After more than 6 hours of phone time, and 3 store visits (talking to general manager, assistance manager, sales manager, etc), they are still refusing to exchange/refund the unit. They asked that we have a technician come out to inspect. We did, then the general manager said the technician's report was unacceptable. So they are sending out another. And he promised to "take care of it ASAP", but it's been more than a week. Guess we have different definition of "ASAP". I have sent letter into credit card company to contest the charge. I have told BB that I WILL NOT pay for the unit. So we'll see... Sorry for the ranting. Extremely frustrating situation. My suggestion at this point... DON'T BUY FROM THE PASADENA, CALIF store, because they are BAD BAD PEOPLE!! Jury is still out on the rest of Best Buy...

Anyone with XBR 60 or 70 experience the problem?
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page