GWIII buzz - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5 minutes after my last post I went out and tried to turn the tv on... nothing. I thought to myself, lets look at the bulb one more time to see if it's clouded... so I took the covers off and and the bulb looked crystal clean inside. I put it back in and tried the power... nothing... then I took the bulb back out and whacked it 4 or 5 times with my hand... put it back in and voila... tv powered right up no buzzing or anything... I don't get it.

"I'm your huckleberry."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 09:57 AM

Liked: 21
Ok, so I called CC yesterday. The store manager took my call himself, and said he'll just exchange the set -- "No sense messing around with this, we'll just get you a newer set. We should be able to get it to you sometime next week."

Hopefully the new one is as good as/better than this one pixel-wise as well as power supply/ballast/whatever it is wise. *Knocks on wood*

--Greg

post #183 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally posted by Duaner
5I put it back in and tried the power... nothing... then I took the bulb back out and whacked it 4 or 5 times with my hand... put it back in and voila... tv powered right up no buzzing or anything... I don't get it.
Simple. It's called "the laying on of hands". You have the power, and you have worked a miracle. :)
post #184 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 AM

My brand new GWIII from Sears took 5 weeks to arrive, and less than 1 day it won't turn on. I've tried reseating the bulb twice now, switched wall outlets, but nothing. All I get are the blinking red lights after about 1 minute. I'm bumming...........

I called Sony, but no info there, and I spoke to Sears this morning whom said I could bring it back or call their service, but it will take about 30 days for a new set.

Any other thoughts or hints?:(
post #185 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally posted by mjpell
I called Sony, but no info there, and I spoke to Sears this morning whom said I could bring it back or call their service, but it will take about 30 days for a new set.

Any other thoughts or hints?:(
Ask for a refund and see how Sears responds to that.
post #186 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 11:41 AM

I returned my 42" that I got at Ultimate Electronics today. Circuit City had 4 in stock, they matched the UE price, and gave me the unit with the highest serial number, so I think I'm going to be OK.

The new unit is s/n 90296xx, build date of November, 2003. It powered up right away and there was no buzz at all when powering it up. I think if you have a set that is buzzing, you will ultimately have a problem with lamp failure. I can't say for sure, but it seems that way to me.

I've had it on now for a couple of hours, and probably will leave it on for a few more before I have to head into work.

The one thing that didn't make me feel better was the smell poking my head behind the set to see the s/n. Kind of a "hot" smell, and when I put my hand by the fan vent spot the air coming out is quite warm. I guess I won't worry about that, as the bulb is supposed to be hot and new plastic will always cook off some nasties until it fully cures.

I'll report back if I have any problems in the next couple of days. If I do, it may be back to the drawing board for a different set unless there's something definitive from Sony about these sets. Going round and round with delivery, return, delivery, is insane if there's no sign that the kinks are worked out.
post #187 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 12:05 PM

The power of God compels you!!!

I followed the Duaner method of light bulb demon exorcism and my set came right on too. NO BUZZ!!!

Thanks Duaner.
post #188 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy
The new unit is s/n 90296xx, build date of November, 2003. It powered up right away and there was no buzz at all when powering it up. I think if you have a set that is buzzing, you will ultimately have a problem with lamp failure. I can't say for sure, but it seems that way to me.
[/b]
Well, I may return this one to Sears, flat our dead in less than 12 hours. Man though I got a good price and liked the staff at the store, better extended warranty for the money too.

I calling to make a service appt.

For what it's worth, my set is SN 9202xxx with a build date of Nov 03. I guess if there are bugs in production.........they still exist! My set never buzzed...........
post #189 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 PM

I looked inside the bulb housing the last time I had it out and saw what appears to be an air gap on the side of the bulb. Maybe dirt or moisture is collecting in the gap and shaking the bulb cleans it out. Or maybe some of the air gaps might not be adjusted properly.

I finally got my set to turn on Thursday after many, many tries. I've left it on continuously for the past two days because I'm afraid it won't turn on again. I'll leave it on until the repairman comes with the resistor or I return the set to CC.
post #190 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mobocracy

The one thing that didn't make me feel better was the smell poking my head behind the set to see the s/n. Kind of a "hot" smell, and when I put my hand by the fan vent spot the air coming out is quite warm. I guess I won't worry about that, as the bulb is supposed to be hot and new plastic will always cook off some nasties until it fully cures.

I've got a new 60" XBR and it emits the same smell from the back of the set. As an old electronics guy, that smell is clearly phenolic. Probably coming from the baking out of a circuit board or whatever holds the LCD panels. Not to worry, IMHO.
post #191 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 12:54 PM

Well I tried tapping, shaking reseting the bulb a bunch of times, but still a dead TV. I guess I don't have the Duaner method down yet.

I just got off the phone with Sears Electronics Mgr, nice person whom said I could bring the set back. I'm tempted.........the local CC has it in stock but I got a great price at Sears..........so what's a man to do?

My wife wants to know why I want to get another GWIII after this live less time than a housefly.........
post #192 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjpell
My wife wants to know why I want to get another GWIII after this live less time than a housefly.........
It's an interesting question. While I was walking around in CC today, I checked out all their sets, and the Sony clearly seems to have the best PQ to my eyes among the many, so it's not like picking another set is easy, particularly in the price range of the 42 -- the Samsung 43 is far more money, although the Hitachi 50 isn't bad, its picture isn't as good as the Sony's IMNSHO.

The CC manager I talked to said they had not had a rash of returns on these things -- perhaps we internet forum readers have bad karma or something and just draw the bad sets (or we run our sets longer and hotter and expose flaws???). Or perhaps the flaws really are few and far between -- I suppose there's dozens of people with good experience with these sets who are off reading the "GWIII Owner's Thread" or just haven't had this problem.

I think I may head over the Plasma forum after this and see what kind of bargain plasmas can be had in the $3k range if this one goes. Here's hoping it doesn't!!
post #193 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
CCx

"bargain plasmas" eh? i'd rather play the GWIII shuffle than hunt down one of those oxymorons all day long....

nearing two weeks since re-seating and NO problems to speak of.....average time on through the life of the set is about 6 hours per use, never less than 2 hours....october 2003 date, 11xxx serial number..
post #194 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CCx
"bargain plasmas" eh? i'd rather play the GWIII shuffle than hunt down one of those oxymorons all day long....

nearing two weeks since re-seating and NO problems to speak of.....average time on through the life of the set is about 6 hours per use, never less than 2 hours....october 2003 date, 11xxx serial number..
I'm just thinking of my "real" uses of my 42" GWIII: SD content and DVD, which means that a 42" EDTV plasma would be a decent replacement. I don't want to do this as I'd prefer to skip the plasma gotchas (as overstated as they might be) as well as the fact that I'd be losing HD capabilities.

The loss of HD wouldn't mean much to me today, as an HD capable cable box would be a bit of a clusterf*** for my Tivo setup and I'm not exactly eager to rent an additional HD capable box for the whopping 5 channels of HD content available. But I'm sure I'd be regretting it in 2 years if^H^Hwhen there's more HD content.

So, a Panasonic 42" EDTV Plasma would be a pretty good option for me, at least based on what I do with the GWIII today.
post #195 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 05:15 PM

Just a quick update - left two e-mails WITH url (ht) and no response.
Sears called today and confirmed my Tues delivery date - another 1/2 day off work - so this is costing me something.

Set has been on since last Wed pm. Set to cable box input which keeps the set pretty dark until I turn on the box. Of course the bulb is on all the time - but it stays pretty cool - so no heat issues here.

Ya know - they are having a WAY better time over on the Hitachi Ho forum. I mean they have a Queen and everything.

Ahardt challenged me to check it out after my "twice as long as our forum" comment, and I did. You know why those people don't have problems ???
They spend all their time on the forum. Crop Circles. . . That's a whole society based on the worship of Crop Circles.

Well we'll see after Tuesday - my loyalty remains firm. . . to my $3K.

Maybe we should get a Queen.

Hey Barrybud - please check out my PM.

Thanks, I'm going on a date with my wife.
Babysitter better not turn off the GWIII. . . . . . .

"Hey - you can't fool me. There ain't no such thing as a Sanity Clause" - Chico Marx
post #196 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 05:46 PM

I too had a dead GWIII. I bought it at CC in mid-October, worked fine for 6 weeks and then....nothing. Wouldn't turn on, flashing red light, a very faint buzz as if it were trying to turn on or fire the bulb. Tried re-seating the bulb, unplugging it overnight, etc. Nothing worked. Had a local tech here yesterday. He had to call Sony and (I think) when he left he told my wife (I wasn't home) something about a bad board or something.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I decided to resort to brute force. I pulled out the bulb and whacked it hard with the heel of my hand (on the side, not the lens). I also cleaned the contacts with some audiophile-grade contact cleaner I had and....voila! IT WORKS again. Very weird. Plainly something is loose or something in the bulb assembly.
post #197 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM

So how hard did you wack the blub? I just hit mine against my the palm of my hand a bunch of times...........but it still doesn't work.
post #198 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schacter
I too had a dead GWIII. I bought it at CC in mid-October, worked fine for 6 weeks and then....nothing. Wouldn't turn on, flashing red light, a very faint buzz as if it were trying to turn on or fire the bulb. Tried re-seating the bulb, unplugging it overnight, etc. Nothing worked. Had a local tech here yesterday. He had to call Sony and (I think) when he left he told my wife (I wasn't home) something about a bad board or something.
Are they coming out to fix the board, replace it, ??? This is key -- we're all kind of waiting to hear what the deal is with the ballast and what needs to be fixed about it.
Quote:
Anyway, after reading this thread, I decided to resort to brute force. I pulled out the bulb and whacked it hard with the heel of my hand (on the side, not the lens). I also cleaned the contacts with some audiophile-grade contact cleaner I had and....voila! IT WORKS again. Very weird. Plainly something is loose or something in the bulb assembly.
So there's some kind of deposit buildup that's keeping the lamps from striking and smacking the lamp assemblies apparently does *something* to jar it loose so they will strike properly. I kind of half-wish I had followed through with the repair of my set to get to the bottom of the mystery, the tech may have kicked loose with what the story is with the lamping system with these sets and what's wrong with them.

My mental distillation of this thread (and worth exactly what you've paid for it, too) is a flaw in the ballast or the ballast driver is crudding the lamp and keeping it from striking. We just need some poor soul diligent enough with repair to figure out what it is, then we can all call for service at once and make sure we have the new/fixed/modified components.
post #199 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 06:54 PM

I hit the bulb pretty firmly against the heel of my palm a few times. I didn't smash it but I hit it pretty hard.

Ii'm not sure exactly what the service guy is supposed to do. I didn't speak to him directly. I plan to call the service place on Monday and try to get details. I also plan to have them come back and do the service, whether or not this little "fix" is still working.
post #200 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
So how hard did you wack the blub? I just hit mine against my the palm of my hand a bunch of times...........but it still doesn't work.

I think it's the way you're holding your tongue... tilt your head slightly to the left and stick your tongue out of the right side of your mouth and bite down on it... then "WHACK!!"

I was supposed to get the new tv tomorrow, but CC never called tonight to set up a delivery time... when I called them they said it was on back order and I would get it in about 2 weeks. Basically they sold the two that they had in stock (one of which was supposed to be mine) figuring that they already had my money so why not make me wait and not take a chance of losing a sale by making some other poor schmuck wait for his half-dead buzzing fly on the floor tv. I told the guy I was talking with about all the trouble I had heard of with these lamps... he said that I was the first person to ever want to exchange one of these tv's from his store... I suppose that could be true. He explained to me that CC's ESP covers lamp replacement... I told him that was wonderful, except for the fact that I don't know for sure that the lamp is the problem... what if the circuitry that powers the lamp is faulty and causes the lamp to go bad prematurely?? And since there is no authorized sony techs within 300 miles or so to come to my house and look at it, he agreed with me and assured me that I would have my back ordered tv in less than 2 weeks... he also offered me store credit for the value of the purchase, but like most everyone else here I was drawn back to the beauty of the Sony and couldn't bring my self to buy a different model. Why can't anyone else make a tv so aesthetically pleasing as this one?? why???

Anyways, for the next two weeks while I wait for the new tv I am going to test and see how well my whack job did, and I will keep you all posted. So far it's worked pretty well... a few times now I have heard the buzzing, but it seems to at least be lighting.

"I'm your huckleberry."
post #201 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 09:49 PM

Well, I picked mine up today, 42". Haven't had a chance to hook it up as I attended a Christmas party as soon as i brought it home. I purchased it from a Home Theatre specialy store at a discounted price here in Toronto. They are hard to come by, first I got a call that i would receive one in january, then 2hours later got another call that one had just arrived. I have not checked the date on it yet but will post it here after i do. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes, but can't say i have much confidence at this time.
post #202 of 2840 Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 PM

Liked: 21
Another update. I have NOT opened my set and reseated the bulb or anything, but ever since I called CC and they offered to exchange it for me, the TV hasn't buzzed once. I guess the mere THREAT of going back to the factory exorcised that demon...

I'll still take that exchange and play the pixel gamble, though, knowing that I have a TV that CAN have the Buzz problem.

--Greg

post #203 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 07:06 AM

After talking with a few people about this they recommended a high end surge protection noise filer. I purchase the Monster Cable Power Center with Surge Protection and Noise Filtration - Model: HTS3500.

I have gone through two KF60WE610 I purchased from BestBuy. The first one had about 8 bad pixels. My second one had some scratches on the back and 1 bad pixel. Since I knew I was not going to keep these, I have left the TV on and tried all sorts of settings. I am next going to try some of the service settings.

Our TV's get a lot of use and I want to see what this baby can handle ;) So far so good.

I am really suprised thought that I have gone through two with some damage. Sony's QA was always top notch. This is my usual luck though.

My Stuff:
Sam HL67A750 and Pan BDT-350 / HL61A750 and BDT-210
Viewsonic PGD-150 / IO system glasses & IR emitter / 3DTVcorp Gen2 emiter / x102 blue. *SSG1000
IR and DLP Link together :)
post #204 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 AM

I am a newbie and have two questions. I am considering a 50" 610 or a Hitachi 50v500. My first question is whether the Hit also has an arc lamp. My second question is whether the arc lamp in the Sony gives off RFI? As an amateur radio operator, the last thing I want is a source of RF noise in the house.
post #205 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 09:27 AM

So far so good on my replacement from CC (Nov 2003 build date).

I've had three startups thus far and no buzz at all. I hope this lasts.
post #206 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 11:37 AM

I have had my 50" for two weeks now. Yesterday I heard a short, only slightly audible, buzz as I turned it on using the front panel switch. It lasted only about half a second, and if I had not been standing right by the set with a very quiet house, I would not have heard it. Is this THE buzz? Or have I just gotten too worried by reading this thread?
post #207 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Paobably too worried from reading. My GWIII makes an audible click when I hit the power button. After the green light blinks 3 times the set fires up each time.
post #208 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 12:25 PM

I've noticed that mine will make this "buzz" sound only after I turn the set off and then back on again within 30 seconds or so.

The buzz, as best as I can describe it, is like placing your finger on of those handheld fans.

Like I said, it only occurs when I turn the set off and back on quickly. Not sure why that is, but now I let it rest for about a minute before doing that and I never hear it.

Marc
post #209 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elsie50
I have had the 42" for 3 weeks now and I love it!! NO buzzing (fingers are crossed here) no noticable dots or dashes or missing things!! (not trying to find them though, but none stand out.) starts and stops on a dime! just a lil' fan noise at shut down, no biggie. Hope it stays this way!
had mine 4 weeks now--like you no problems--but after reading on here NOW i cross my fingers when i turn it on lol gun shy-as with all electronics-you get a good one and your set for yrs--a bad one-and all you get is misery--we all been there-superb tv!!!on hd and digital but awful on std bcast--wife was disappointed-the grey bars-reset the box to 480i and the bars were blk-BUT at a cost-got bars on HD and had to stretch pic to fit-caused pic distortion-set back to 1080i and will live with the grey bars but black should have been std-NOT grey

sony fan
post #210 of 2840 Old 12-07-2003, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gregleg
Another update. I have NOT opened my set and reseated the bulb or anything, but ever since I called CC and they offered to exchange it for me, the TV hasn't buzzed once. I guess the mere THREAT of going back to the factory exorcised that demon...

I'll still take that exchange and play the pixel gamble, though, knowing that I have a TV that CAN have the Buzz problem.
gotts laugh-for a yr my left leg was achy--hurting--thought it was my bursitis acting up--went to dr-wasnt bursitis--need hip transplant--suffered with it for 8 mos after that--callled dr and made appt to discuss having it done--made appt 2 mos in advance for when im off (dec 15 ) 2 weeks for my vac--wouldnt you know the damn thing hasnt hurt for 2 months?!!! lololo amazing-makes the old story true=the tooth hurts until you get to the dentist--PS--still going and going to have it done!! happy holidays

sony fan
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page