Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all =)

I've gotten a GWIII and recently it has started
making a buzzing noise on start up. It's not a fan
noise and often it's a short buzz followed by a longer
one...the gap really just sounds like a stutter.

Does anyone elses set do this? Anyone know if it's ok or should
I ask for a replacement? I'm still in my 30 day trial
period.

Thanks!

Gowry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 08:23 AM

My set only makes a buzzing noise if I turn it off, then turn it right back on (accidentally). Its pretty loud and disconcerting. Otherwise no buzzing noise at start up.

Shus.
post #3 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My set makes this same noise at start up. I've posted about this issue a few times on the GWIII threads without a response. I have no idea whether this is normal or not.
post #4 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 09:34 AM

Hi Everyone

I've encountered this behavior several times with my 42we610. Usually the unit will buzz and then turn on normally, but I've also had it buzz and fail to turn on several occasions. When it doesn't turn on the green power LED will flash up to 45 times before the red "Lamp" LED comes on.

I've seen similar behavior in a 42we610 floor model at BB. I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a systematic problem with these units?

I'm still within my 30 days and will be exchanging the set.
post #5 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

BB,
The sky isn't falling. Just a little buzz. Given that people haven't really dug into this set yet, I'm sure that a rational explanation will appear. The GWIII is an amazing set.
post #6 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deliverancenorth
Hi Everyone

I've encountered this behavior several times with my 42we610. Usually the unit will buzz and then turn on normally, but I've also had it buzz and fail to turn on several occasions. When it doesn't turn on the green power LED will flash up to 45 times before the red "Lamp" LED comes on.

I've seen similar behavior in a 42we610 floor model at BB. I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a systematic problem with these units?

I'm still within my 30 days and will be exchanging the set.
deliverancenorth -
I have also experienced these symptoms exactly as you describe with my 42" GWIII. It has happened perhaps 3-4 times in the 4 weeks I've had it. After waiting a few minutes, it will usually turn on. One time I unplugged the set for a minute and this also worked.

I will also be exchanging the set. On the good side, my wife is slowly coming around and is open to rearranging our living room to accommodate the 50", so I may use the opportunity to upgrade the size!

I love the tv and don't even have HD yet. I will post a more complete review soon as I think I was one of the first people to get a GWIII and would like to give back to the forum my views on the issues.
post #7 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the many replies!

It sounds like not everyone has this problem. So I
will likely have UE come exchange the set for another
before my 30 days are up.

I really wonder what it could be...some part of the
set that charges up the bulb..or pre-warms the bulb
or something?

Gowry
post #8 of 2840 Old 10-23-2003, 09:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
How soon they forget.

"'Buzz' me up, Scotty!" ... or, something like that.
post #9 of 2840 Old 10-24-2003, 11:23 AM

I have had the 42" for 3 weeks now and I love it!! NO buzzing (fingers are crossed here) no noticable dots or dashes or missing things!! (not trying to find them though, but none stand out.) starts and stops on a dime! just a lil' fan noise at shut down, no biggie. Hope it stays this way!
post #10 of 2840 Old 10-24-2003, 01:56 PM

Liked: 14
I have had my 42" for 5 days and it just started this buzz. It doesn't happen ever time I turn it on, but has happened about 3 times. The buzz can be anywhere from 1-5 seconds. Sounds like the fan hitting a wire or something. I'm not going to worry unless it gets worse since it is under warranty.
post #11 of 2840 Old 10-24-2003, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

This does sound like a fan-related start up noise, which doesn't mean it is a good thing. One of my computers at home used to buzz something fierce when it was first turned on and then would settle down. Later the fan started making an ugly grating sound. I replaced it and all is quiet again....
post #12 of 2840 Old 10-24-2003, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, I just pulled up the sonystyle "projection tv" page and it begins with a salesy description of:

"Buzzing with intense sound and radiant images..."

There's your problem right there! It's a feature! :D
post #13 of 2840 Old 10-26-2003, 07:33 PM

I have this problem as well. Other than the standard unplug/reseat... anyone know anything?

Matt

T.V.: Sony KF-42WE610
Rec.: Sony STR-DA3000ESsssssss
DVD: Panny DMR-E80HS
Spk.: Polk CSi30/RTi38, HK HTS5 surrounds, HK 10" 100 watt sub
post #14 of 2840 Old 11-04-2003, 05:31 PM

Well, after about two weeks that buzzing has become worse. It happens everytime I turn on the set. And finally today my TV would not turn on at all!! So I took it back to Circuit City for an exchange. No buzz on the new set. (fingers crossed)
post #15 of 2840 Old 11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

I also traded my 50" in (for a 60") and there's no buzz on the new set.
post #16 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 07:46 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

My local Sony technician tells me this start up buzz is the degausser and is not a problem. My 34" Sony does this at start up and other than being a little annoying it presents no problem.
post #17 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've got a 42" GW III and I haven't heard this buzz at all. As far as I know these tv's don't have a degausser. Am I wrong?

I previously had a 36" Sony HDTV and it gave off the loud buzz upon startup and I know that is the degausser. I've never once heard my GW III LCD do that. So, I don't even think it has a degausser guys.

Tiger

post #18 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 AM

I've got a 50" GWIII. I have heard a slight buzz at startup a couple of times. It sounded to me like the fan hitting something for a couple of seconds.

I have had several CRT based PC monitors which degauss every time they turn on. It's a very different, and much louder, sound.

I would be very, very surprised if the GWIII is "degaussing". CRT monitors do this because they use big magnets to direct the electron beams to the phosphor on the screen. LCD RPTVs do not have these magnets! They use a small LCD panel and a set of mirrors and lenses to project the image.

I don't think I'd trust anything else that that technician had to say wrto GWIII's in the future.
post #19 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with gkinma, I'm pretty sure degausing is specific to CRT displays.
I have the 60" GWIII (just over a week now) and have not noticed the buzz. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Pat
post #20 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Can someone tell my what a degausser would be used for in an LCD RPTV? I think ADB's " local Sony technician" may have been confussed by his many years of CRT experience.
post #21 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 PM

I had a similar problem with my 50" GWIII. Bad buzz. Then, after 5 days, wouldn't turn on at all. Traded in for a new one. The new one works fine. Turns on in less than 5 seconds. The old one could take 30 seconds or more to turn on and buzz, buzz, buzz.

Personally, I think there is some sort of defect and will lead to future modifications and potentially a recall of sorts.
post #22 of 2840 Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vbhawkster
I had a similar problem with my 50" GWIII. Bad buzz. Then, after 5 days, wouldn't turn on at all. Traded in for a new one. The new one works fine. Turns on in less than 5 seconds. The old one could take 30 seconds or more to turn on and buzz, buzz, buzz.

Personally, I think there is some sort of defect and will lead to future modifications and potentially a recall of sorts.
That's exactly what my 42" did!! My new one also turns on more quickly than the old one.
post #23 of 2840 Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

My KF50WE610 has made this buzzing noise... First Time I heard it was when I turned it off one day. I didn't know what it was or where the noise was coming from until another day I actually heard the same noise when I turned on the TV. It's not every time I turn it on but occasionally. I'm very curious to what this might be.
post #24 of 2840 Old 11-20-2003, 07:35 AM

I had the same problem with my GWIII not turning on after flashing green and then the lamp light flashing red. If unplugged the unit and reseated the lamp it would usually turn back on. I spoke to SONY using the number in the manual and they said that I had a defective unit. They where going to send someone to my house, but I elected to have CC give me a new one. I called CC on Saturday and got my new TV on Wednesday.
post #25 of 2840 Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 PM

Glad I came across this thread. I bought the 60" GWIII from the local BB nearly two weeks ago. Against my better judgment, I bought the store demo because it was 5% off plus I had the 10% off coupon (they were out of stock and couldn't tell me when they would get it in stock; and they had assured me that the TV was put on display only a few days prior). In the course of the two weeks, I had the occasional buzzing and the dreaded red LAMP indicator.

The wife called BB yesterday and was told that they had plenty in stock, and would gladly exchange it for us. Well, we got to the store and was eventually told by some supervisor (?) that they had one unit available, but I would need to call the extended warranty phone number to arrange for technician to verify problem. They claimed that the TV worked fine when it was at the store, so any problems now would have been caused by us moving the TV home ourselves. The supervisor (?) guy also had poor customer service attitude and actually said to me, "I'm not going to go around in circle with you on this". Damn I was PISSED OFF yesterday. I told him I'd be wasting my time trying to further explain my situation to him and stormed out of the store.

Now, armed with stories from other users that experienced the same problem, I will head back to the store and talk to the store manager about the return/exchange.
post #26 of 2840 Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine hasn't flashed any red lights, The way my son put it, it sounds like a Bee.
TV seems to take longer than usual to crank up when it does buzz. But it's not every time. You can hear it coming from the side the fan is on, but it doesn't appear to be the fan as far as blades hitting any thing.
Very strange. I'm also getting real concerned in the fact it seems that others with this problem lead to the tv eventually not coming on at all... I haven't had that problem yet, however My 30 day window for exchange is gone. I'd hate to get someone to look at it and when he shows up, it won't buzz for him. Thats always my luck
post #27 of 2840 Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Rob,

Just get your money back. No reason to deal with idiots, especially idiots with bad attitudes

If DooDoo said it, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!
post #28 of 2840 Old 11-20-2003, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I agree totally with DooDoo. Take the set back to BB and get your $ back. They have demonstrated the type of service you can get from them.

CC or Sears will match at least the 10% off you got. With some negotiation, you'll probably also get the additional 5% for a brand new unit.

Best part will be not having to deal with BB down the road.
post #29 of 2840 Old 11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well my TV finally buzzed itself out.
It blinked and buzzed and blinked (green) what seemed like forever, and then three flashes of red. It blinked the three flashes of red several times then back to standby. Tried it again with same result.
Broke out the manual and it states that the 3 flashing red lights mean the lamp COVER is not secure. (not the lamp) .Manual states the remedy was to simply secure the lamp cover.
I undid the 2 screws in the rear holding the front cover and popped off the front cover which was still held by 3 snaps (2 were were on each side where the ridges fade to smooth and one just to the right of the power button). The lamp cover looked secure but I removed it anyway and put it back on and made sure it was snug.
Long story short, the TV seems fine now and has fired up now consecutive times without problem.
But I'm still a little uneasy about the situation unless I can make it consecutive days without problem. But so far so good
post #30 of 2840 Old 11-21-2003, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. Like Villanman, I re-seated my lamp after returning from BB the other day. The allen screws seems somewhat loose before, so I got it a bit tighter. There was some buzzing the first time I turned it on, but ALL subsequent times has been ok. We are keeping REALLY close eye on it. Still two weeks to go in our 30-day, so first sign of buzzing or LAMP indicator, it is going back.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page