Sony XBR 950 Owners Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2711 Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone suggest the best way to get started with Sony? I have a KDF 60XBR950 with a melting door and 3rd burnt bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2711 Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochB View Post

can anyone suggest the best way to get started with Sony? I have a KDF 60XBR950 with a melting door and 3rd burnt bulb.

Hey RochB,
It's BigTJ131, and all I can tell you is e-mail Sony Listens at (sonylistens@am.sony.com). Attention Pat Kennedy or Kevin Krause. Let them know how you really feel! The preface "XBR" means actually what? They do currently make a 70" XBR Sony LCD TV for get this, $19,000 MSRP! They are ridiculously making their flagship model TV a big secret. Out of the common consumers' hands I would think? Fight for your rights. WE ARE US CITIZENS AND PAY MAJOR TAXES, DUDE! Tell Sony to put $$$$ where it's mouth is!!!!
post #2703 of 2711 Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi BigTJ131,
Thanks for responding. I thought everybody had gone home, so to speak! I did send an email to sonylistens... and Kevin Krause responded with an event #, I just got off the phone where they set me up for a technician to come out and eval whether to repair or replace my giant dark screen!! They assured me that, if they repair it, and I have the same problem again, that I should call and give the event#, and they will take care of it. (Long pause) Let's hope so, because that is what we thought we were buying... maybe the last set, and all!
Hey, I guess the economy must be all right if the market can bear that new 70"er... maybe some things haven't adjusted By the way, I hope your employment picture is better.
post #2704 of 2711 Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 AM

ok heres my experience..
i purchased the lcd block for 85 dollars and it has been going strong.
sony came out and installed fans or replaced them.. they were really gunked up with dust.
they also changed out the sensor.. from what ive gathered the new sensor is in a new place .. that was part of the door issue.
so thats been fixed and running strong now for 4 months..
i can say that this tv is awesome.. lining up th lcd panel was a night mare but i finally got it done.. after like 50 tries..
but i was laid off so i took this project on.. and it was worth my time since i wasnt working at the tie LOL
but the colors on this tv to me is second to none.. i have a samsung dlp 1080i and its great but not like this tv... this tv.. really is bright in my opinion..

i thought one day i might head over to a 92 mitsubishi but that tv looked like kinda dim...

i bought this tv for 100 bucks 6 months ago..
the guy delivered it ... said it needed a bulb..
we have about 250 in it after the bulb and lcd panel..

so im not complaining for a 250 dollar tv .. everybody always comments what a great tv it is...
i tell them its almost 10 years old...

what i love about it ... is the sound ...
this tv has almost a theatre sound..
a quarter of the way up and my wife is saying .. turn it down...

i know when the base is turned up it rattles the whole tv...

its kind of a oxy moron.. you have this subwoofer on the tv that you cant really use..
lol
because if you turn it up then the screen is blurry lol
post #2705 of 2711 Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM

btw since i replaced the light engine or fixed it...

i plan on every year or so... taking out the fans i replaced and just give them a good cleaning ..
will probably take a day or so to do it.. but for what the tv does and provides .. i would love to have this bad boy around for another 10 years.. of course with new technology 720p will be like what black and white televisions were to us. LOL
post #2706 of 2711 Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM
R_J

After several years of excellent PQ, my 70XBR950 has finally developed the dreaded blue blobs and speckles. It's probably too late for any any claims &compensation from Sony and I don't have the energy to go through a repair - a truly tempting option given the picture quality that I had gotten accustomed to. Anybody, who is motivated enough to mess with it, want to take it off my hands cheap so that I can make room for a replacement? This is in the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/Cupertino area.
post #2707 of 2711 Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
I have owned my 55 inch Sony XBR 950 for almost five months now. Most times when I am watching a movie in a 2.40 aspect ratio with the bars at the bottom and the top, I am experiencing a white color bleed in the middle top of the TV.

While this is subtle and it goes in and out, it detracts from the movie experience. Part of me thinks I should just deal with it, but for a $3,000 TV, I feel compelled to seek out if anyone else is having this issue.

I almost don't want to watch movies in this format anymore based on this issue.

I am using the standard calibration provided with the TV. I am not sure if the brightness setting is causing this or not. In general, I love the TV and would be thrilled to not have to look at this any further.

I have not contacted Sony but would be appreciative if anyone could explain if they have come across this to date with their TV.

Thank you in advance for your input.
post #2708 of 2711 Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM

I am new to this forum, and some may have addressed this issue, so please bear with me.
I have a KDF70XBR950 (2004) and I have experienced the "blue pixel blob then death" of the blue lcd. I watched it like that for almost 5 yrs before the lamp finally burned out.
I obtained a good used lcd block and have replaced the lamp as well and now I actually have nice color and a bright picture except.......
There appears to be a misalignment of the lcd (red mostly) up and to the left.
I have the service manual, Iknow how to get into the servive mode, change settings, etc.
I don't however have the foggiest idea of where to go in that mode to change the relative position of the red or green or blue image to tweak its alignment, or even if it can be done that way.
The set-up mode does not seem to have any effect on the red position, auto, 2,3 and 4 are the same and 1 is worse.

Any thoughts? Should I put my old lcd back in with the blue one changed out?

Thanks for your thoughts and :)opinions.
post #2709 of 2711 Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintprotector View Post

There appears to be a misalignment of the lcd (red mostly) up and to the left.
I have the service manual, Iknow how to get into the servive mode, change settings, etc.
I don't however have the foggiest idea of where to go in that mode to change the relative position of the red or green or blue image to tweak its alignment, or even if it can be done that way.

Did you buy a full optical block, or did you try to change just the bad blue LCD panel? If you bought the full optical block, where did you get it? It sounds like they did not properly adjust the physical locations of the LCD panels to achieve proper convergence. That can be a bit tricky. I doubt you would be able to adjust anything in the service menu. Unfortunately, what needs to be done is loosen the screws holding the LCD panels on the block, and then move it around a tiny bit at a time.

Typically, it is the blue LCD that is out of alignment, as that is the one that usually needs to be replaced during a rebuild. However, if someone took the red channel panel out to use in another block for the blue channel, and then later replaced both the blue and red channel panels from other blocks, I suppose the red one could be out of alignment instead of, or in addition to, the blue one. You need to be able to project a pattern outside of the TV to do this properly. For details, see the Optical Block Replacement page of my web site (link in my signature). There are some videos linked there that can give you an idea of what needs to be done.

Again, preferably, you would just return the maladjusted block and insist on a good one.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #2710 of 2711 Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM

Ok, you nailed it. What I ended up doing was using my irginal lcd block with the good red and green lcds, then changing out the blue one. Since the tv had already been tuned with the original colors, red and green alignment were perfect. It took about 10-12 tries to get the blue in line with the other 2 and bingo! I had normal colors again!

After it ran about 3 days, all of a sudden the video and sound went out and I now had three (3) blinks of the power light indicating a loose lamp cover. Checked it from the front and everything seems to be fine, fans work, etc. but still have the same error and tv wont come on. Does the cover with the turbo fan in it have a switch or a temp sensor in the nose? What else could be the problem? Lamp itself appear good.

Perplexed and now teased with a good picture that just went away ......:frown.gif....
post #2711 of 2711 Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Liked: 0
I know I'm late but thanks for the walkthrough on the settings. I fixed over scan issue on the TV. Now I have messed up other settings accidentally. Is there any way to reset the service menu to factory so I can just redo the alignment?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page