Sony XBR 950 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2710 Old 11-02-2003, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since these units are now shipping I thought we should start a thread where we can share issues, tips and tricks for the new XBR950 series LCD rear projection monitor.

This thread is primarily for owners - others with questions are certainly welcome but lets not include long debates here about other technologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2710 Old 11-02-2003, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

The iLink (IEEE 1394 / firewire) interface looks very promising. Has anyone thought about connecting Hi Def devices to this connector?

Could we connect to a PC?

Is there a High Def Tivo on the horizon?

Other thoughts?
post #3 of 2710 Old 11-02-2003, 09:03 PM

also i just read that the we610 HAS a 10-Bit 3D Comb Filter and the XBR950 does not have one. can someone enlighten me please on that ?

isn't the comb filter a good thing to have and why does the xbr950 not have it ?

thanks
post #4 of 2710 Old 11-03-2003, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by flmgrip
also i just read that the we610 HAS a 10-Bit 3D Comb Filter and the XBR950 does not have one. can someone enlighten me please on that ?

isn't the comb filter a good thing to have and why does the xbr950 not have it ?

thanks

This is from another Thread, posted by BobFilmore. If I knew how, I'd throw in the URL here ...

"CCP2
The CCP2 integrates a 3D comb filter and CCP's digital driven chrome decoder.
This 1-chip digital solution converts any NTSC source to a pure component
video signal and helps DRC-MultifunctionV1 work efficiently. CCP2's digital
processing is increased from 8 bit to 10 bit to improve contrast.

Advanced Panel Driver LSI
This new panel driver was developed to produce dynamic, smooth contrast
and improve sharpness. By increasing the performance of the panel driver
from 12 bit to 14 bit, sharper and deeper contrast is achieved."

As I understand it, the XBRs have a purely digital signal processing path and split the color information so that much of the filtering (like the comb) analog signal processing needs isn't required. Thus the distortion that analog processing leads to simply doesn't happen in the XBR.

Take with a grain of salt ... can't even prove that the XBR is pure digital ... this is gleaned from rhetoric produced by Sony's marketing and investor relations, which have distortions in their own right.
post #5 of 2710 Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

roblake:

wrt the 'purely digital signal path' that the XBR has,

..wouldn't that be even more of a reason to feed it a digital signal via the DVI connector or possibly the iLink connection?

... the resulting picture should be even sharper on XBR vs the non XBR chassis?

or does the DVI connector on the 610 chassis bypass the analog circuitry too?
post #6 of 2710 Old 11-04-2003, 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gruber
roblake:

wrt the 'purely digital signal path' that the XBR has,

..wouldn't that be even more of a reason to feed it a digital signal via the DVI connector or possibly the iLink connection?

==> In my opinon, certainly!

... the resulting picture should be even sharper on XBR vs the non XBR chassis?

==> I put my money on the line, sight unseen, based on this belief. XBR 60 is on order.

==> Only the schematic diagram would tell for certain. If I had the information, I'd write an article for IEEE Sprectrum ... :=}}} Maybe a call to Sony USA Marketing is in order? Hmmm.

post #7 of 2710 Old 11-07-2003, 02:15 PM

Received my 70" on Wednesday - so far it's a beautiful set just sitting in the room. The anti-reflective screen is better than that of the GW2, but can't say how it compares to the GW3 Non-XBR.
Hooked up the Denon 5900 DVD player with DVI activated. Still trying to figure out how to calibrate the picture settings on the 5900 (chroma delay). However, the DVI does look better than component.
Out of the box, the blacks aren't quite there. I need to get my DVE back from a friend before I comment on the PQ.. It's much better than the GW2 so far.
We watched "Wall Street" last night on DVD - not a reference disc by far, but it was much more "involving" on the 70". The floating screen with deep black matte around the edges of the screen really made the picture "step out" of it's cabinet - all we could see was the picture - This alone was worth the cost of the upgrade!
I'll post more comments as I get to calibrating it.
EL
post #8 of 2710 Old 11-07-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gruber
roblake:

Supposedly yes, the DVI on the WE610 is pure digital but I have yet to see schematics that prove it. That was a big point for many deciding between the XBR800 and WE610. I dont see any reason the XBR950 wouldnt be all digital as well.

Am I the only person watching TV in Rochester NY?
post #9 of 2710 Old 11-08-2003, 11:36 AM

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a 60XBR950 from NOW Audio Video in NC. For me, the cabinet design and a few of the optical differences made the difference. I got a fair price, so I'm happy. They are having trouble getting large quantities of this set, so I was told to expect a December 15 delivery date. Patience is a virtue, but waiting over a month is going to be hard. I can't wait!!!
post #10 of 2710 Old 11-08-2003, 12:32 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Can anyone post the differences and picture quality between the XBR 950's and the WE610's.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #11 of 2710 Old 11-11-2003, 05:53 PM
CJR

Saw it at Sony Store in OC. Makes the 610 and the 60" XBR look like toys next to it. Blew me away after 3 months of research and couldn't justify 20K for the 60" Plasma.

1st to purchase it at Magnolia in SM with standard promo discounts. Delivery on Sunday. 4 left in stock in the warehouse.

Wait until the wife finds out.
post #12 of 2710 Old 11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Saw what? mnc asked about the 60" WE610 and 60" XBR950. What made these sets look like toys? I'm assuming the 70"?

Cheers!
post #13 of 2710 Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, he didn't say 60" explicitly, but I guess that is implied by the WE610 reference.

I think that that 70XBR950s are almost the only ones out there, but much rarer sightings of the 60" XBRs (sounds like CJR saw one). I think a good rule of thumb when picking out a set is to NOT look at it next to a bigger one . It is amazing how small a larger set makes the smaller one look; however, by itself a 60" set is quite a good sized picture.

Myself, while I certainly have the room for the bigger set I don't know that I can justify another $1,500 for it. I have a 57" at home right now so 60" will see bigger by itself.
post #14 of 2710 Old 11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 60" xbr coming in two weeks. I am really interested in how this will compare to my sony KP-65WV700. Anyone know how much the bulbs cost?
post #15 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 07:47 AM
CJR

The 610 looks plastic (i.e. like a toy, a good picture but lifeless in a way) in comparison to the XBR950. The 120W lamp makes the 70" XBR brighter than the 60" 610 and the design and glass screen truly set it apart from the 610. The XBR design and and picture make it look closer to plasma than any other LCD TV I have seen at 60%-70% discount, you just can't hang it on the wall. It is not just the same TV with better optics.

The 70" looks exponentially bigger than the 60" XBR even though it is only an additional 10". Can't explain why but it just does. Very impressive.
post #16 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that the XBRs look must "richer" in just their basic appearance from the WEs -- something that should impress people even when the set is not on, if that is important . I agree with the analogy to plasma, in many respects.

BTW, the XBRs *do not* have a "glass" screen. It is plexiglass (acrylic). What sets it apart from the WEs is that it is mounted on the front of the set so that the picture appears to "float" in space.
post #17 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by BTDT
I agree that the XBRs look must "richer" in just their basic appearance from the WEs -- something that should impress people even when the set is not on, if that is important .

That only thing that matters to me is whether there is any difference in PQ between the 60" WE610 and XBR. I'm waiting to see someone do a comprehensive comparison between the two. I'm also curious, since the bulb is the same in both sets, whether there is anyway to increase the wattage of the bulb in the WE610 to 120.
post #18 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by magillagorilla
... I'm also curious, since the bulb is the same in both sets, whether there is anyway to increase the wattage of the bulb in the WE610 to 120.

As I understand it, the XBR series has an additional filter on the LCD panels. If you pump the wattage up in a WE, you may fry the panels ... or at least prematurely age them.

I don't know yet if the panels are unit-replaceable or whether an entire new optical block would be required ...$$$.
post #19 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 01:34 PM

Does iLink on XBR go both ways?

I posted the following on the GWIII owners thread, did not see this XBR thread until after that. Anyway, the Sony specs don't call the DVI or iLink connections "outputs", instead they call them "interfaces." I am a non tech type and perhaps there is no distinction, but it got me curios. My post to the other forum is this:

>>A question for owners of XBR models. I see in the rather skimpy specs on Sony website that there are three iLink (firewire) connectors, one in front and two in back.
My question is this: Does that mean you can record OTA programs from the built in HD receiver onto a D-VHS box? For me that alone would make up for the price premium for the XBR.<<
post #20 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
There is an additional 4 square feet of screen area going from a 60" to a 70" screen. Not bad for an extra 10" of diagonal. The 70" XBR is just about double the size of a 50" plasma.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #21 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Does the 70" set come split into two parts that are then assembled, as is the case with the largest Toshiba LCOS and Hitachi CRT RPTs? Can someone provide the dimensions of the box(es) for those of us with narrow staircases and turns to traverse.

ericlhyman
post #22 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ericlhyman
Does the 70" set come split into two parts that are then assembled, as is the case with the largest Toshiba LCOS and Hitachi CRT RPTs?

No, this is a tabletop TV.
post #23 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 06:46 PM

>>I also posted this is the GWIII thread<<

The answer to my own question is no. It turns out XBR can not output OTA via firewire.
I went to East Palo Alto GG store where they have a 70" XBR on display. The picture is just stunning. Even the SD stuff looked pretty good, as close as ten feet. And the design of the set is really attractive, by far the best looking RPTV I have ever seen. The OTA tuner gets a perfect picture and DVD's look great as well. You have to see the size of the thing--it absolutely dwarfs 50" sets next to it. I could not believe how much bigger 10 inches diagonal makes. The base retracts to be flush with the screen and a built in cabinet could cover the front right up to the picture bezel. Built in properly it could be mistaken for a plazma, and the picture is as good as any plazma in that GG store--and it is the biggest most impressive GG I have been in. They said it is the GG Expo floorplan. Whatever, it is some nice store--located right between a giant Ikea and one of Home Depots new Expo centers.

But it is not the set for me, unfortunately. Because it is almost as reflective as the GWII from last year. The Plexiglas shield, which the salesman says is not removable...and it sure looks like it is not removable to me---makes a beautiful mirror. We have windows everywhere and a view of the entire SF Bay Area from San Jose to San Francisco so the little wife would never put up with bricking up the windows, or even air raid curtains. I may have to settle for the 60" GWIII with its ugly cabinet and inferior picture. If you have a light controlled room I would highly recommend this giant. It has the WOW factor in spades.
post #24 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by ericlhyman
Does the 70" set come split into two parts that are then assembled, as is the case with the largest Toshiba LCOS and Hitachi CRT RPTs? Can someone provide the dimensions of the box(es) for those of us with narrow staircases and turns to traverse.

My 70' was delivered in two boxes. The 'set' has a 'foot' that allows it to sit on a table and not tip over. If you purchase the Sony stand ($1K list) you will get a cool looking stand that matches the set perfectly. It has a locking mechanism that grabs the center of the 'foot'. The net result is that the 'foot' nestles into the stand making the gap between the stand and the set minimal. The front of the foot actually retracts when using the locking Sony stand - very cool.
post #25 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Villageman

The answer to my own question is no. It turns out XBR can not output OTA via firewire.
I went to East Palo Alto GG store where they have a 70" XBR on display.

SF Bay Area from San Jose to San Francisco so the little wife would never put up with bricking up the windows, or even air raid curtains. I may have to settle for the 60" GWIII with its ugly cabinet and inferior picture. If you have a light controlled room I would highly recommend this giant. It has the WOW factor in spades.

Thanks Villageman. I'm also in the Bay Area. Do you know of any stores that have the 60" XBR950 on display and/or in stock for purchase?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an awesome view with 10 windows in my living room. I purchased the Samsung HLN567 DLP, but alas, it's not bright enough for my room. I'm going to return it. I'm hoping that the XBR950 will be bright enough.
post #26 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 08:19 PM

A few stores in the Bay Area have the 70" on display. I was just at Anderson TV this afternoon in Redwood city and it looked awesome, but would love to see the 60" XBR or WE in person before trading in my Sammy DLP.
post #27 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just FYI, I was at Anderson on Steven's Creek last Wed and they didn't have any XBR950 yet. I might just have to drive up to Palo or Redwood to see the 70".
post #28 of 2710 Old 11-12-2003, 11:23 PM

Quote:

But it is not the set for me, unfortunately. Because it is almost as reflective as the GWII from last year. The Plexiglas shield, which the salesman says is not removable...and it sure looks like it is not removable to me---makes a beautiful mirror. We have windows everywhere and a view of the entire SF Bay Area from San Jose to San Francisco so the little wife would never put up with bricking up the windows, or even air raid curtains. I may have to settle for the 60" GWIII with its ugly cabinet and inferior picture. If you have a light controlled room I would highly recommend this giant. It has the WOW factor in spades.

so you are saying the the WE60 is much less reflective than the XBR950 ??

i have a window right behind my couch and that would be a deal breaker to deal with the "mirror"....

thanks
post #29 of 2710 Old 11-13-2003, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had my 70XBR950 and stand for two weeks. The OTB picture is ok for now. I probably will get ISF calibration in two months. It does take a
little time to get use to the size of the screen. I have had no trouble with
the set to date. Hockey in HD is great.
post #30 of 2710 Old 11-13-2003, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Villageman,
Why don't you think the XBR will output OTA via firewire? Did you get this direct from Sony?

I may be wrong, but my belief is that we will be able to record and playback HD over the firewire port. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I see no reason it shouldn't work.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page