Hitachi s500/s700 Owners Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 1976 Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I didn't see that thread before. After reading fedward's post in the Switchres X Tutorial, I felt encouraged enough to start tinkering. Turns out I wasted yet another hour of my life.

I tried a custom setting for my Mac @ 1920x1080i and ended up with a horizontal line across the middle of the screen, with identical partial desktop images on the top and bottom. I tried other resolutions, and got strange results on the Mac screen, but at no time did I get ANYTHING to show up on the TV.

Here's the info from exporting EDID, if anyone has any more ideas. And just so I'm clear, the goal is to change the resolution on the MAC, right? Not the TV.

I'll try posting on the other thread, too.

Color LCD

Descriptor #0 - Timing definition:
Mode = 1440 x 900 @ 59.939Hz
Pixel Clock............. 96.21 MHz Non-Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
Active.................. 1440 pixels 900 lines
Front Porch............. 64 pixels 3 lines
Sync Width.............. 32 pixels 3 lines
Back Porch.............. 224 pixels 6 lines
Blanking................ 320 pixels 12 lines
Total................... 1760 pixels 912 lines
Scan Rate............... 54.665 kHz 59.939 Hz

Image Size.............. 367 mm 230 mm
Border.................. 0 pixels 0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
* Negative vertical polarity
* Negative horizontal polarity

HITACHI PTV

Descriptor #0 - Timing definition:
Mode = 1920 x 540 @ 60.053Hz
Pixel Clock............. 74.25 MHz Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
Active.................. 1920 pixels 540 lines
Front Porch............. 88 pixels 2 lines
Sync Width.............. 44 pixels 5 lines
Back Porch.............. 148 pixels 15 lines
Blanking................ 280 pixels 22 lines
Total................... 2200 pixels 562 lines
Scan Rate............... 33.750 kHz 60.053 Hz

Image Size.............. 16 mm 9 mm

* Positive vertical polarity
* Positive horizontal polarity

Descriptor #1 - Timing definition:
Mode = 720 x 480 @ 59.940Hz
Pixel Clock............. 27.00 MHz Non-Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
Active.................. 720 pixels 480 lines
Front Porch............. 16 pixels 9 lines
Sync Width.............. 62 pixels 6 lines
Back Porch.............. 60 pixels 30 lines
Blanking................ 138 pixels 45 lines
Total................... 858 pixels 525 lines
Scan Rate............... 31.469 kHz 59.940 Hz

Image Size.............. 4 mm 3 mm

* Negative vertical polarity
* Negative horizontal polarity

Descriptor #2 - Monitor name:
HITACHI PTV

Descriptor #3 - Monitor limits:
Horizontal frequency range.......15-46 kHz
Vertical frequency range.........59-61 Hz
Maximum bandwidth unspecified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1976 Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
No, you want to change the resolution going to the TV. Try 1280x720p.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #1953 of 1976 Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Hey all, I'm having a problem with my 57s700. It is randomly jumping to a flashing green and purple screen. Sometimes its flips to a pattern of green as well. The menu works perfectly (although my videos make it look bad because the iPhone sucks at video). The issue doesn't show up in the menu or in magic focus mode, and it seems to happen on all inputs. Here's two videos that show two of the three ways it's been failing (in the second video, the purple is actually pretty dark and it's consistent across the screen, it's just the bad iphone video camera):
(I have too few posts to post links)
youtube.com/watch?v=a2wi5si5JEA
youtube.com/watch?v=m4dBwC2vBj4

The TV will occasionally work for the first 30 seconds to 20 minutes before flipping to this mode and I have seen it once correct itself for a few minutes. I figure something is loose or shorting but I don't really know where to begin looking.

I'm handy with a soldering iron but I have no idea where to start looking. I didn't see anything obvious when I opened up the back, but the fact that it still sometimes works for a while means it's probably going to be tricky to find. I love this TV so much, I wouldn't even mind swapping a whole board if someone can point me to a part number. Thanks for any help!
post #1954 of 1976 Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM

I don't know enough about how the set works, but I do have a service manual for the 57S500. I attached a troubleshooting page that might be of some help. Wayne
post #1955 of 1976 Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Where do I plug my Denon Receiver into my 57T500 HDTV to do on screen set-up of the speakers. My Bass speaker doesn't come on like it did with my old Mit. receiver? I don't see a Monitor In on the TV.

I used to be Nervous & Jerky, I'm not Nervous anymore.

post #1956 of 1976 Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Just pick a Video Input that is compatible with the receiver output. If it's the yellow composite RCA cable - you can plug into Inputs 1, 2, 3, 4.

post #1957 of 1976 Old 11-25-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This was just posted on another thread, thought I'd share it with you here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post

Holy Cow Dave Harper!!! You said ISF is in Florida, so I decided to see where they're located. They're about 5-10 minutes from my house!! Didn't even know it, too darned funny.

I have an elderly Pioneer SD-532HD5 like this one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xFS?KW=pion...Video&FD=85747

I might just need to have this thing calibrated some day. It works OK and has been moved across the country twice, in storage for a couple years, never been touched except when I used the Avia disk set it up initially and when I moved here in Boca Raton 3 years ago.

Just noticed this post in another thread, from way back in '05.

Just so you know, those "elderly" CRT RPTVs are not old, they have a 20 year service life - or more, I've seen it, recently heard about a 29 year old Panny CRT 50" that's still cranking away just fine - and at today's stage are only halfway thru it. I know of an "old" curved screen bounce-off-the-screen Sears CRT whose guns fire at the hinged mirror that you pull out and let fall into place to start it up, that's still cranking away just fine too. We've been looking for someone to take it home and keep it going, or hopefully get it to some sort of video museum, tho I have never actually heard of one...

Well treated by their owners re. usage, light levels and avoidance of screenburn, they are capable of WAY better than new performance, even at 11 years old.

I am being flown all over the country cleaning and calibrating these "elderly" beasts, which are capable of incredible HD, head and shoulders better than a lot of the "affordable" fixed pixel offerings out there in today's marketplace. And better looking in some ways than all fixed pixel offerings.

The main thing that not everybody knows about them is that their optics need to be cleaned yearly, and on some brands - like the Pioneers, be they Elite or non-Elite - the "deeper optics" need it every few years as well. That's because of the air gap between the lens barrels and the CRT coolant covers, where 6 additional surfaces get invaded by dust, soot, smoke and all manner of other airborn contaminants, and thus compromised because of the high voltage turning them into powerful, continuous dust magnets every moment they are powered on. There's 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear, 10 of which get heavily compromised because of the HV. When all 28 surfaces are clean and polished and you have a crystal clear light path again, the results are truly astonishing. Like getting a brand new TV for a simple hour's work.

Just doing this one thing gives your "elderly" set a brand new looking picture - in my area my calibrations are called "The Sparkle Process" - and calibration after that is just incredible icing on the cake.

I started the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!" thread here on AVS more than 5 years ago, and it is still going strong, with over 300 complete pages so far and over 9000 posts. If you have a CRT RPTV at all, HD or non-HD, I invite you to go over there and check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=327

If you have a CRT RPTV or know someone who does and want info about how to do your optics cleaning with no damage - those soft plastic surfaces in there are incredibly delicate, vulnerable and easily scratched, and any damage to them is permanent - contact me directly, by email or phone. No pm's please!

Thx -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #1958 of 1976 Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Liked: 12
Can anyone point me to a list of supplies and instructions for the proper cleaning of a Hitachi 65S500's optics? I have done some searches, but they return a ton of results and I have not been able to find them... thanks
post #1959 of 1976 Old 12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I am generally considered the best resource for this information, as nobody was prioritizing optics cleaning until I spoke up, many years ago. Since then I have been screaming from the rooftops about it, that's how important it is.

You have to be very very careful - you get one shot at this per year, and if you screw up, the damage is permanent. My practices guard against such damage, it is my highest priority, right up there with making sure you have a crystal clear light path afterwards and get your dynamic punch completely restored.

I do this personally one on one, on the phone or in person. I feel that's the best way to keep you on the straight and narrow about it, and completely safe.

If you want to reach me, phone or email me, no pm's please -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1960 of 1976 Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Liked: 11
Mr. Bob,

Do you ever make it out to MN? Have a 57S500 that could use some help.
post #1961 of 1976 Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Whenever someone sends me a plane ticket and wants their display thoroughly cleaned, calibrated and supertweaked. I have only been to the Twin Cities once, would love to go back again. Or does MN mean something other than Minnesota?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1962 of 1976 Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post

Can anyone point me to a list of supplies and instructions for the proper cleaning of a Hitachi 65S500's optics? I have done some searches, but they return a ton of results and I have not been able to find them... thanks

Soft cloth and some windex. Just need to remove the speaker grill and control panel to get access to the top of the CRT lenses.

post #1963 of 1976 Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

No.

Those lenses are soft plastic, face up and very vulnerable. The HV has caused all the airborne particulates to not only land on them but to be sucked to them and embedded upon them over the years. They are now part of the muck.

Soft cloth does not have nearly the amount of absorbency actually needed in this application, nor does microfibre cloth, they both leave huge amounts of residue. Windex with Ammonia D should not be used on either the front surface mirror nor the soft plastic lenses, it is not good for either of them. Windex without ammonia is fine to use. As is Sprayway and Glass Plus.

Special practices need to be followed to maintain the safety of your irreplaceable fragile optics. NOTHING in there that you'll be cleaning is good old hard glass - not the lenses nor the reflective surface of the front surface mirror.

It's not just a quick and easy thing to do, not just an automatic slam dunk and they are clean again and not scratched. Or scuffed. It takes care, diligence and patience. If you don't have those, get someone else to do it.

There are practices to be avoided and other practices to be followed, if you want to do it right and SAFELY get a crystal clear light path again, so that all 28 surfaces are again like new, rendering a sparkling picture again. Believe me it's worth doing, but also believe me when I tell you that just one misstep and it's already too late. Once those surfaces are damaged in there, you can't get them back.

I have been doing optics cleanings on CRT RPTV tech for over 20 years, and have coached dozens and dozens of owners in private phone sessions. If you insist on being a DIY'er on this highly delicate and critical operation, please be careful in there! You can damage them permanently if you're not careful, and it happens instantly upon doing the wrong thing just once.

If you want to get it done the right way every time, you know how to contact me.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1964 of 1976 Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 AM

My trusty s500 is going on me..

With my mother living with us, the TV has gotten a ton of use in past two years as she likes to fall asleep with it on. In this time it has slowly developed what I can best describe as wavy text and it grew to worse. Text looks like it is shaking/moving. When I tune to a black screen I can clearly see diagonal lines (about 2" thick) moving from lower right corner to upper left. In all pictures I see a noticeable horizontal line that scrolls up. This line is thin and distorts anything in it worse than without. Makes text even more shaky looking when in this line.

I am torn between not wanting to just throw away something that could possibly be fixed (Especially a RPCRT that could rival anything new in picture quality when tuned and working), and spending time to research what is causing this/time doing the repair PLUS having to dish out a couple hundred bucks to fix.

A repair guy could end up costly enough that I might as well just move on with rest of the world and invest in a new technology flat screen TV. I've seen same size as current 51" for under $1000! If it is simple enough I am more than capable of fixing myself, but WHAT could be causing this? What part is failing?
post #1965 of 1976 Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 AM

So I guess Blu Ray players won't work on RP HDTV's
Hitachi 57T500

I used to be Nervous & Jerky, I'm not Nervous anymore.

post #1966 of 1976 Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Sure they will.. A HDMI to DVI cable or adapter will send your picture to the TV without a problem. Just make sure your Blu Ray is set to send out a 1080i signal to the TV.
post #1967 of 1976 Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 PM

I tried a blue ray player on mine but my old Oppo DVD player with a DVI output had a better picture than the blue ray playing the same movie. I had both hooked up and was switching inputs on my receiver to compare. There was 4 of us and we all felt the standard DVD was better. My 5700 is still going strong and has a good picture despite it needs cleaned again!
post #1968 of 1976 Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Could it be that the 480i scanrate is calibrated but the 1080i scanrate is not?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1969 of 1976 Old 01-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scripoch View Post

Mr Bob,

CC tech (different one than last time) came and went. He thinks it is the Red CRT again, so he is ordering yet another one. I even showed him your post/diagnosis but he was dead set on the CRT, so we'll see what happens.

Obviously, your diagnosis is based on my mediocre description of the problem...so I offered it to the tech as just another possibility of what may be wrong. He agreed with what you were saying, but also said there was a blue light in the actual gun so he said it must be bad.

Thanks for your help and of course I will let everyone know what happened.

And, apparently, I completely forgot to let everyone know what happened. I will go very quickly through the progression of events as I remember them (all in about a year since my last post).

1. Tech came, could not resolve.
2. I talked to customer relations and they agreed to replace or refund my TV. I went to Circuit City (R.I.P.) and after explaining that there were no fair replacements for the TV, got a full refund to a gift card. Sweet! (This was no cake walk btw, but I got it done)
3. Bought another TV for about $777 less, sold card for $700. Sweet again!
4. Unfortunately, the new TV, 57F710S. It just did not compare, I felt it had issues and even called another tech out for a warranty repair. He told me I was crazy (trust me, I was not). I was not happy.
5. Bought a 65S700 off craigslist for $700, that is a big sucker! Very, very nice!
6. Ended up selling my 57F710S for $650 shortly thereafter. Finally...
At the end of the day, after 3 or 4 years of techs, calls, discussions, etc. I started with a 57S500 (loved it) for 3 years, had 57F710S for 1 year (did not love) and then ended up with the 65S700 for about $850 total.

I have it to this day and I love it. Yes I have been tempted to get a plasma (even more so now that Panasonic is discontinuing plasma production) but my TV is working fine. I am sure it is super dirty inside but I have 3 kids and I am not sure it is a great idea to do too much until I know that they will not eschew dirt and dust into my beloved TV (it emanates from them).

Mr Bob - Glad to see you are still here and thank you for your help even though when I tried to relay the information to the different techs it would go on deaf ears (as you predicted).

Thanks again!
post #1970 of 1976 Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I hate being right sometimes...

rolleyes.gif

The dirt muddying up your picture and making bleary is INSIDE. The kids did not put it there, and no, it may emanate from them but does not get onto your optics from them. It gets onto the optics from the high voltage ionizing the air inside and outside the unit and statically charging it. That's why the gook actually gets glopped on there and cannot be easily removed from simply being dusted. And since your lenses are plastic no, you cannot use a razor blade on them...

I am available for optics cleaning phone coaching and consultation. I am not expensive. Do yourself a favor and get it to where you can see it for what it really is and was always meant to be, like Superleo and Last But Not Least have done with their Hitachis. Not what your set has become over the years, now.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1971 of 1976 Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 AM

Please help. Have Hitachi 55vg82s connected through air input as tv2 for dish network DVR receiver picture is perfect but no audio. Audio was fine when my friend had it a week ago but she said it had to go through a DVD player or something.. I have tried everything and just can't get it. Operator error I suspect. PLEASE HELP A Thanks...sorry if this isn't in right place this is my first time. Desperate times call for desperate measures wink.gif
post #1972 of 1976 Old 06-01-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the TV you are playing it on producing audio on other channels?

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #1973 of 1976 Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 0
Hello, all.

Recently, I lost the ability to receive terrestrial HD via a small antenna and input C. I could only receive one of the Big 3, NBC, and then some other non HD stations, like PBS. Everything was working just fine.

Then one day, no signal whatsoever on any channel. Nothing was changed. It just stopped working. I'm not talking about a weak signal. I'm talking ZERO signal on all channels.

Switching antennas did not help. Is it possible Input C can just stop working? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
57S700
post #1974 of 1976 Old 07-25-2014, 02:20 AM

Liked: 0
OK, signal is back.
Sure, yesterday I tried a few things. Switched stuff around. Unplugged. Replugged. But I gave up.
This morning I checked this site for a reply, and just for kicks, selected ANT C, and there it was!
Three days with NO signal on any channel. Now it's back.
Hmmm...
post #1975 of 1976 Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Anyone ever have a power cycling issue?

I've had this set for over a decade now, and it just starting having problems turning on.

When one turns the set on, it stays on for about 1.5 seconds, shuts down, then turns itself back on.
This cycling happens anywhere from 1-2 minutes, then the unit is fine.
I think the cycling has gotten worse the last handful of weeks.

Anyone come across this issue before?
I'd love to be able to just open it up and clean out a fan or something.

Vegetables are what food eats.
post #1976 of 1976 Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What you are describing sounds like the classic signs of cold solder joints. I have been remedying this malady for over 10 years on the Pioneer Elite CRT sets, their power supply boards were solder-flowed with bad solder that would get thin over time and eventually start reacting to the heat and cold of turnon, turnoff.

No idea what board would be affected, but if it is the same thing that the Pioneers have been enduring since 2004, then the entire board will need the resoldering work, not just what's bad now.

You can find my video on this subject here -

Contact me if you can pin down the board in question and you would like it resoldered. On the Pioneers I fully test the boards after the resoldering op and then give you a lifetime warranty. Aren't fully equipped to do that with Hitachis, but you can still have my tried and true resoldering talents and experience on the case with your set if you wish.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page