Hitachi s500/s700 Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1978 Old 12-14-2003, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured I would start an owners thread for the Hitachi s500/s700. I know I am one of Many whom have taken advantage of the latest CC Sears Pricematch war, that has gotten most of us a great price on what I have understood to be a great tv.

I figured we could use these thread as these units get delivered to help everyone get the most out of their recent purchase, report problems, post questions, and post pictures.

Here are some links to very indept threads on tweaking the Hitachi CRT's.

Hitachi Tweaks - These may be all we need. I have not read through these completly yet since I do not have the TV to compare them to.

Hitachi (CRT) tweaks Q&A thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300466

Hitachi 51F500 Tweaks http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=273639

Hitachi Ho starting on Dec 24 ......

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1978 Old 12-14-2003, 06:22 PM

Fantastic idea.

I look forward to getting mine. Sears called yesterday and pushed my delivery date back from the 16th to the 19th. That sucks.

It will be a great thread for all us S class newbies. I will be whipping you ass with questions as soon as I get the unit. I will of course go ahead and read up as much as I can prior to receipt of the unit.

Right now I am trying to figure out which antenna to put in my attic and which prog DVD player to get. I tell ya. It is impossible for me just to go and buy 1 piece for my AV system. If one thing gets upgraded then that means at least 2 or 3 things "need" to be upgraded soon after.

Walt
Hitachi Ho 12/19/03 hopefully.
post #3 of 1978 Old 12-14-2003, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am also already planning on updating my entire system. I was hoping to leave my 32" Sony setup with the entire HT setup alone and buy all new stuff ... Fun Fun.

However I do not receive mine until after you - so I might be asking you all the questions ...

Really looking forward to this.

chris
post #4 of 1978 Old 12-14-2003, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm in. Have had my Hitachi 57S700 for about 24 hrs and am very pleased. Thank you Sears for making this affordable -- an LCD projection model would have cost me twice as much and was simply out of reach. I'm coming from a 32 inch box so this is my first big TV -- what a great holiday this will be.

Anyway, I'm finding PQ (picture quality) to be excellent OOB (out of box) -- in fact I drool when I watch DVDs now. Damn it's gorgeous. I'll be doing manual convergence and Avia setup after I break her in (a few weeks) but I'm not sure how it can get THAT much better. I think Hitachi perfected this technology as it reached it's end-of-life and we are the beneficiaries of that ultimate engineering effort.

I am one happy camper.

-- Jay
post #5 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Before you guys get fired up with technical stuff, can I ask a few basic questions? I am thinking about returning a 60" Sony GWIII (LCD) due to a problem I am having (won't come on) and am reconsidering CRT, especially the Hitachis. I will use the TV in a 22'x17' greatroom with lots of windows that aren't covered and the furniture spread out. I went with LCD because I was concerned with burn in and convergence, but more importantly, wide viewing angles and fewer screen reflections. Can any of you comment on how these issues effect your Hitachi in your viewing location? I may need to make a decision quickly if Sears works with me.

Also, can you PM me any pricing information for Sears? I price matched and used a 10% off coupon plus got a discount instead of a gift card (actually all were price matchs of sorts) and free delivery from Sears an saved about eight if I remember right, bringing the orice down to just above three before taxes and EW. Please PM what you think a Hitachi S500 or S700 should go out at.
post #6 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 05:28 AM

I took delivery of my 51s700 on Sat. and she looks great! I was very excited to fire up the HD tuner and watch some great programming. To my dismay, I could get nothing! The highest the signal ever got was a 2. I am in Minneapolis, MN (55417) and have great analog reception with the same antenna. It is a large antenna I picked up at Home Depot and placed it in my attic. I also have a Terk 55 (piece of junk). I called Hitachi Service and the guy said the tuner will only pick up programs broadcast in HD. I waited for the football game on CBS yesterday afternoon and nothing! Please help me out so I can enjoy my new set.

Thanks in advance.

TV - Hit 51S700
post #7 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Troy check you PM.

chris
post #8 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 08:25 AM

Troy -- check PM.

As for issues you have with CRT, they are not all that major.

1) Burn in -- I actually like the 4:3 stretch and would use it even on LCD

2) Viewing angle -- vertical is pretty obvious when standing, horizontal is not going to be an issue with most living rooms -- get S500 or S700 user manual from Hitachi site -- they have diagram showing viewing angle limits.

3) Reflections -- aren't real bad -- probably no different than LCD. The anti-reflective film doesn't seem to do much. I heard a lot of folks just rip the film off anyway (I doubt I'll do that). You'll certainly get deeper blacks with CRT than LCD. Also, day/night mode helps a ton to make daylight viewing just fine.
post #10 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have added this thread to the "Popular Threads" post stuck to the top of the forum.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #11 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input. I noticed a huge difference in the reflections at the store between the LCDs and CRTs but didn't really look at the Hitachi CRT in particular. The LCD in my home has been great in this regard. I will go to the store soon to check this out again. Do you know how hard it is to remove the screen on the Hitachi 57s500/700 and if the remote has individual buttons for the inputs as oppose to a toggle? I will check their site as well. Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 09:16 AM

inaineer,

thanks for the links, I have been throught those already...

Does anyone know a way to test the tuner besides a tech coming out. I find it hard to believe that I can't get any signal at all from any of the stations.

I am ~12 miles from the towers near the airport. Could the communications at MSP be affecting my signal?

I was planning on picking up a Zenith Silver Sensor after work and giving that a shot.

TV - Hit 51S700
post #13 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 10:34 AM

Troy --

I think the screen frame just pops off the front -- there was blue tape all over as if they were ensuring the the frame didn't pop off during shipping. I don't dare try at this point though. Still treating my baby with kid gloves.

Yes, the remote has individual buttons for the 5 video inputs. However, the antenna inputs have one ANT button that you cycle through.
post #14 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 10:35 AM

I have a question for other S500/S700 owners. The remote has 5 video input buttons. However, the 5th "input" on the back panel of the TV and in the diagram in the manual says "Monitor Out". What gives? Is it an output or an input? If an output, where is the 5th input? Thanks in advance.

-- Jay
post #15 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JayJervey
I have a question for other S500/S700 owners. The remote has 5 video input buttons. However, the 5th "input" on the back panel of the TV and in the diagram in the manual says "Monitor Out". What gives? Is it an output or an input? If an output, where is the 5th input?

On the front of the set. Its good for connecting a camcorder or Playstation.
post #16 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 AM

Woohoo, I'm in! I don't take delivery until the 20th of this month. I can only imagine how useless I'll be at work on Monday from playing and tweaking and rearranging things to match up right.
post #17 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks BarryBud. I would imagine this to be faily popular with quite a few new sets showing up soon.
post #18 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
post #19 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just took delivery of my 57S700 this last Sunday.

I too need antenna and DVD player suggestions.

First though, STD doesn't look as good as my older Mitsu. 50603.

It's suffering from what looks like 'sharpening' artifacts on the outer edges of people/objects.

I cannot seem to be able to adjust it out.

My wife says it doesn't look as good as my friends 57S700 (I helped him get 'the deal' 2 wks. ago).

Any advice would be great!

Also I too have the Terk 55, and yes it does suck! When I touched metal onthe coax cable where it plugs into the antenna I got a 30 on reception. I let go of it and I got ZERO.

Regular DVD player looks good but I really need a progressive scan unit!

Drew

Soon...pic of my measly setup
post #20 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

abrodd -

do you have digital cable or HD over your cable system. This Ant C is supposed to tune in digital cable if the cable company does not Encrypt the signal.

Of course I do not have my tv yet to see if this works.

chris
post #21 of 1978 Old 12-15-2003, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am an idiot. I think it is only supposed to turn in HD if the cable company does not encrypt it.

chris
post #22 of 1978 Old 12-16-2003, 04:35 AM

Injaneer,

That is true that it will disply non-encrypted HD from your cable provider. I am trying to pull in OTA (over the air) signals with an antenna. I purchased the Zeinith Silver Sensor last night, and that didn't seem to help the problem. I am having a Sear's tech come out to the house, but that won't be until next Tue. I guess I have to stick to analog and dvd's.

Adam

TV - Hit 51S700
post #23 of 1978 Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

I will check mine but I wont get my Set until next Wed. So hopefully you will have it solved by then.

chris
post #24 of 1978 Old 12-16-2003, 09:28 AM

I've had the 51S700 for a few weeks now...i have the benefit of being on a hill directly facing the broadcast towers that are only a couple miles away in seattle.

That being said, i'm just using a 10 foot piece of coax as an antenna and i get roughly 10 channels OTA...some twice from other local city broadcasts. I don't even pay for cable or satellite! Signal strength is generally in the 30-60 range.

As far as antennas go, sometimes i've had better luck using the shield of the coax as the antenna and not even connecting to a physical antenna on the roof...head to radio shack, pick up $5 worth of connectors to attach the center conductor of the tv coax to the shield of cable going into the wall. Of course you'll want to make sure you disconnect your antenna on the roof if you have one...wouldn't want lightning to blow your new set! Or just run a separate length of cable up to your attic and run a few loops around to get some decent area...
post #25 of 1978 Old 12-16-2003, 12:09 PM

I got my 57S700 a few weeks ago. I'm running a Channel Master Yagi (I forget which model) on a ten foot pole on top of the roof. The RG6 cable is connected to Antenna C of the 57S700. All local digital stations (Portland,OR) come in very clear.

Since the price has gone down, I need to return to Circuit City for their 30 day price drop guarantee and get some money back.

I haven't done much tweaking yet. I lowered the contrast and raised the brightness. With brightness set so that I can just see detail in the blacks, the blacks look good.

My only "problem" right now is getting used to the size. A twenty-five inch 4:3 direct view is what I've been watching for the last 22 years. DVD and HD MNF are great. Standard definition off of analog cable looks a lot better than I thought it would. I'm even getting used to 4:3 Expanded mode, sort of.
post #26 of 1978 Old 12-17-2003, 06:16 AM

Drew888 you have a PM
post #27 of 1978 Old 12-18-2003, 06:06 AM

<<
>>>
Trying to bring both threads together I want to let frenchmarky that my reception with my UHF/VHF antenna through Ant A/B is excellent. When Ant C is hooked up nothing.

injaneer, the Sears tech is coming out next Tuesday.

Adam

TV - Hit 51S700
post #28 of 1978 Old 12-18-2003, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

OK That sounds good. I am supposed to get my set on Wed. I could have had it tuesday but we are working. Hopefully the tech can have it fixed for you. I guess that will be one of the things I test with my unit. I do not have an antenna plugged in but I can probably run a long Coax somewhere and make a loop to pick up a basic station. I have a few pretty close.

So minus the Ant C issue, How has you set been ? Are you loving it ?

chris
post #29 of 1978 Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 AM

The TV is awesome... I haven't really done any tweaking yet because it looked so good out of the box. After I have warmed it up with a couple hundred hours of watching, I will do some tweaking.

DVD's look great, but I am going to have to decide which DVD player to buy. I am borrowing a buddy's Sony progressive scan player now.

Good luck with your set.

Adam

TV - Hit 51S700
post #30 of 1978 Old 12-18-2003, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I am also trying to decide which DVD player to buy. I have an old Panny I may start with but wanting to buy a new one soon after christmas. Let me know what you find out good/bad.
thanks

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page